Z1 Auto Travel CPAP machine Problems - My review

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by hector, Apr 10, 2017.

1. hector

hector New Member

My main problem has been that it is too much work to exhale using any kind of portable machine. I heard that some machines adjust the air pressure as required, but none was of enough help.

Trying the HDM Z1 auto travel, it seems to be fine in all respects. I traveled to New York and found it was of great help.

However, one thing seems odd. So long as you breathe rhythmically in and out, it works perfectly. Probably it adjusts itself to your breathing pattern and settles into a pressure level. But I am human. I don't breathe exactly the same all the time. Once I take a bit deeper breath and exhale, it changes the pressure *and stays* at that level, making it heavier to exhale after that. What am I missing here?

I know it has got algorithms, but don't even get me started on all that rocket science.

If there is an issue with this machine, I am sure many would have noticed it (faced it). If not a simple solution, at least I want to know what really is the problem first.

Thank you very much for any helpful ideas.

2. switcheroo

switcheroo New Member

I am using the z1 on my travels and did not find any issues of pressure. Maybe I breathe the same way all the time and don't need any adjustments in the machine. BTW, I am human.

3. monica598

monica598 New Member

I was having the same problem with my z1 when I started using it months ago. I gave the machine back to my DME and got the problem solved in a couple days.

I don't think it's a fault as such. All it needs is a bit of tweaking maybe.

You could call your DME and ask.

4. Spooschy

Spooschy New Member

HDM says that the machine "will also learn your breathing pattern and adjust the baseline accordingly."

IMHO, it's all about how the machine gets used to your breathing and how you get used to using the machine. ;)

5. Johann

Johann New Member

#5 Johann, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @Spooschy It also says it "has 3 settings: ranging from moderate relief to maximum relief for the expiratory phase of your breathing cycle.":p

6. SleepingBeauty

SleepingBeauty New Member

You are right.

The HDM Z1 CPAP doesn't actually *stay* there, but return to the right air pressure. The only thing is about how long it takes to change back.

So, @hector, if you do not want to be troubled with the details, all you need to do is get your HDM Z1 CPAP adjusted to the correct algorithm (there is more than one, which determine the response). Your doctor or your DME should be able to do that for you. DO NOT try to change algorithms yourself unless you understand what you are doing.

Good Luck and Happy Breathing with your HDM Z1.

7. hector

hector New Member