Where to buy Hampton Inn's Serta cloud 9 mattress

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Blue Moss, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Blue Moss

Blue Moss New Member

I’m super psyched to be part of this forum. I can’t tell you what a great job you’re doing in maintaining this website and ensuring that people are getting the adequate knowledge they require! I’ve heard people say that often forums help them make life-altering decisions (even though applying that for a mattress may appear a tad dramatic, nonetheless). It has helped me in many crucial points where I needed to make fast decisions and realized I was going in the wrong direction. Hence, a big shout out to all mattress experts and of course, everyone else who asks/posts interesting stuff here. The only downside to this is that now buying a mattress is a terrible nightmare (to me at least).

See, I’m the kind that considers all my options and NEEDS to make an informed decision based on all the sources I have. Well, let’s face it, I have one too many sources. It is driving me off the cliff: I can’t decide on one, and it’s been over two to three weeks that I first started this research journey. I am feeling for an innerspring mattress (instead of the memory foam, I have ATM) and would require it to have plush firmness, but that’s just it! I have tried about four to five different models in a few outlets and saw that this particular type of mattress was comfortable and seemed worth spending the money for, but then again, who can tell?

I mean, I’ve read a billion reviews where customers say that they buy one that feels great, but when they take it back home and sleep on it for a whole night, they don’t see the same sort of comfort they felt back at the store. So I reminisced on the last good mattress I had a very relaxed night’s sleep on, and naturally remembered a few hotel rooms I spent my nights in, most of which I don’t remember the names of the mattress, but my favorite was at the Hampton Inn! I remember waking up to feeling super relaxed and well-rested and thinking, “Damn, I need to strap this on my back and ride it all the way home.” I also ended up asking the manager to tell me the model of this mattress, and he said that it was a Serta’s “cloud nine” and had the reputation of being the best night’s sleep provider by many of their guests. I could not argue, and they said that it was a little pricey, but worth it.

Now obviously for the amount they make, it only makes sense to be able to swing such an expensive mattress for their customers to extend the luxurious feel. Further, to my dismay, they ONLY sell it online :(. So the outlet hopping to get the feel of the mattress gets eliminated, and to be honest, despite a lot of research I was not able to get my hands on some concrete information about the mattress. Can anyone help me?

2. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Well, thanks for the compliments and we make sure that the members get right and proper information about all things mattress. Well, at least we try. Now coming to your post, is there anything particular you want to know because frankly, I was a bit confused with your post.

3. Blue Moss

Blue Moss New Member

My apologies for blabbering and not putting across right questions. I need to know whether this mattress is the one for me, but can’t seem to find any information on any of its layers, which makes me unsure about its durability and other details. Also, since I like cloud nine and thankfully know the brand and specific model, I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction of a possible substitute for the same? That is maybe a little less expensive, but has the same feels? I sure hope so.

Once again, thank you guys in advance and keep up the good work.

Cheers!

4. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @Blue Moss and welcome to this forum. As @Mattresso said, we are glad to have you and thank you for your kind words. We wish to make it a comfortable platform for you to be able to feel free to ask whatever questions/insights you may have about mattresses. Don’t shy away and do try to stay as active as you can.

There are many things which you need to take note of when you test a mattress at an outlet store. These include testing mattress to find whether it is suitable for relieving your pressure points if it is giving you the right amount of spinal alignment and further, whether it matches your PPP just fine. These tests are essential in finding out which mattress is your right match, but more importantly, it helps you understand the various factors that are involved with mattresses and how it is not just a spur of the moment purchase. Many customers have a misconception of basing their judgment solely on the comfort of the mattresses simply by lying on it for 2-3 minutes. This is a very subjective form of testing and is perhaps one of the worst ways to choose your mattress.

Customers who bought them thinking that they felt amazing in the hotel, don’t feel the same at home. There could be a couple of reasons behind this, such as the hotel mattresses being used lesser, and also that they usually come in with some additional toppers and such from the company because they buy in bulk and other perks. But the one you buy for home is pricey enough and not many swing for the accessories that come along with it. That said, Serta mattresses do not make use of the best quality of foam in their construction, and the value of the purchase is not that great. Further, the main reason I avoid it altogether and would not recommend it to any of my customers since it is sketchy when it comes to disclosing the materials that are involved in its construction! I think that that speaks not only amply about the company’s authenticity but also about its dedication towards its customers. A mattress is only as good as its construction! Especially if the materials used are of low quality, don’t even bother. That said, that’s probably one of the main reasons the manufacturers keep it a secret and do not give away the details of its composition. I’d suggest you do not invest in anything that does not have the courtesy to tell you what exactly you’re buying, I just don’t believe in that.

5. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

There are articles available online that provide you with ways in which you can compare any two mattresses based on features that are common between the two, but since the one you’re considering is Serta, and they do not disclose the facts of what is used within the mattress, there is no exact way in which you can properly compare it with another. The only way that you might be able to get the essence of another mattress with the same properties is through means of personal testing; again something which no one else can help you. It’s always best to trust your instinct. I would say that you stick to the guidelines and stick to buying/investing in mattresses sold by smaller manufacturers because they can give solid, concrete information of how exactly they made the mattress. Some manufacturers also take you on a little walkthrough of the ENTIRE process, and while this may be boring, is quite informative. They dumb it down as much as possible (no offense to amateurs on the matter) but is helpful to many. Further, if you let me know your zip code, I can see if I can help you with some friends of mine who have contacts with local manufacturers all over the US. I’d be happy to help.

6. Blue Moss

Blue Moss New Member

@sleepmaniac and @Mattresso, I reckon that you mattress professionals suggest that the best decision, for now, would be to avoid some of the major mattress brands such as Serta, Sealy and such, because they are not the best with handling particular details and with respect to being completely transparent to customers with the construction details. That and of course, the quality of the components that are used for the mattress construction. I am completely on board and would love to avoid blowing up a large sum of money only to find out a year later that the softening process set in too soon and that it was time to have it replaced, to which they say that the depression needs to be an inch high and blah blah, which drives me nuts. I might end up disposing of it somewhere in the dumpster. The whole mattress buying process is a real bitch; you can never tell if what you’re getting into is a smart decision or not until you have the whole experience. I have read some articles on guidelines to buying yourself the “right” mattress thoroughly. Some of them were too long and had too many details for a newbie like me. What I meant asking through this forum was that I need a slight push in the right direction (frankly, as of now I have no idea where I am, LOL) but like you said, it’s pretty much just getting in touch with the right people. Even so, I will just give you a gist of what exactly it is I am looking for.

7. Blue Moss

Blue Moss New Member

Oopsie clicked post reply button by mistake. The following are things that I am looking for:

· In search of a spring mattress that makes use of pocketed coils (I hear that the airy-ness of this makes the mattress super breathable and spacey). I have read that apparently this mattress is not an ideal choice for a back sleeper such as myself, but I am completely sold to the idea of buying an innerspring mattress, and that is the only thing I have my mind set on at the moment. I don’t mind the additional pressure that may be caused because I already have with me a beautiful topper that works just fine with innerspring mattresses and should help with the pressure relief.

· I require that my mattress has a higher comfort/support quality: I don’t mind spending the dough on a good mattress, but I require that it will last me a good couple of years. That said, the comfort level should be just right for me. I don’t like overly soft or particularly squishy surfaces. I just need a mattress that is durable and will not die anytime soon. My previous mattress was horrible; the sag factor had become so much that it was like I was sleeping on marshmallows.

· I weigh close to 110 pounds, and hence a light sleeper. I do have relatively soft shoulders and hips ;), therefore, the pressure relief is a big factor for me. I choose to look for a mattress that is suitable for that fit. A mattress that is super soft often hurts my back, so that is a definite no-no. This is the main reason I decided to avoid memory foam altogether because I know with time it is bound to soften, even if we don’t wish to. This is why I decided to invest in a firmer mattress and just use my nice topper to provide me with comfort.

· Perhaps give me some suggestions on some manufacturers I can contact that will be able to provide me with a nice mattress? A local manufacturer would be preferable. I am willing to spend between $1-1.5k on this purchase, definitely not more than that. If any mattresses are $1k that would be amazing. I live in Vermont; my zip code is 05076! Please hit me up if you know any local manufacturers who can help because I certainly do not. I also talked to a few friends who have a few contacts in the mattress world, but they all said no one around for sure.

If you are aware of any good innerspring mattresses that may be a medium-to-firm firmness for about $1k, please recommend! That, or if there are any shops nearby my area that I can check them out particularly, or any numbers of manufacturers that I could get in touch with, that would be a big help!

8. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Phew, that is a pretty long list of requirements. But I must say, you have made up your mind to buy a firm mattress. That is one checkbox ticked.

I think for an innerspring mattress, the overall quality of the mattress does depend a large deal on the quality of the layers right above the spring layer. Of course, we know that quality and durability are two sides of the same coin, and go hand in hand. Hence, good quality of layers on top of the coil means that the mattress has higher chances of making it in the long run. Further, if you want to check whether a mattress is a good choice for you, I’m afraid testing it out on your own is the only way out. PPP is the main way to go about buying a mattress. (For those that do not know, PPP stands for Posture, Alignment, Pressure Relief and Personal Preferences) and is an essential test to find out whether a mattress matches your needs.

Softer mattresses like you mentioned that you are avoiding is a clever decision because if the comfort layers are softer than they need to be or if they may be thicker than usual, chances are the risks of potential spinal misalignments due to weirder sleeping positions are higher and is bad for your body overall. This is something most people ignore: sleeping positions and how it affects your spinal cord. I like your idea of buying a firm mattress and using the topper. But I think it’s mostly better to ensure that the mattress you are buying has the perfect combination of layers that suits your needs and sleeping positions to render a perfect posture and provide you with the right amount of comfort simultaneously. What I mean is that you shouldn’t go for buying a firm mattress and just assume your topper will take care of the comfort part of it and that’ll be that. This might be hard to believe, but not all toppers are cut out for the same kind of mattress. Your topper might not be suitable on top of this firm mattress you’re going for. It’s always the best choice to personally go to the store, and try it out alongside your topper and see if they are the perfect match. I mean, you can always find a new topper that goes with a mattress that seems like a good match to you, so that shouldn’t be a big factor right :)

I guess my point is that, get yourself a mattress that has just the right feel for you (since you’re not buying memory foam, you needn’t go for a feel that is firmer than you need because it will not soften with time). Keep your topper as a potential backup, should you find that the mattress turned out to be firmer than you’d expected. I hope I was of any help at all to you, and good luck on your purchase. Happy buying.

9. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Well if you claim to have read it, chances are the basic information that you need has been stored in your brain, or at the least, registered. You need not dedicate your mind and soul to the posts, just breeze through since many of them are fairly straightforward. They typically give some simple techniques that you could keep in mind before making a purchase was all. The gist of the going through forums and other articles is to make you realize how you can differentiate a good value from a bad one, and relate it to your purchase. You could look at a mattress and tell whether it was worth the money, based on the qualities that are given in the posts. You needn’t freak out, or worry about making it a thorough read, just breeze through it whenever you’re going to test out any mattress is all :grinning:

Well, I have had numerous conversations with some of the most brilliant minds in the mattress industry, and none of them have ever said a downright no to innersprings. It certainly does have a certain spell to it, making it almost magical. Further, I have heard many of them say that if they had an option to sleep on any mattress in the world, they’d go with innersprings. There’s no doubt that it’s a good choice just that it needs to be backed up with the good quality material, mostly latex on top of the coil layer. I think your choice of pocketed coils is quite nice and justified really. I don’t know who told you about coils being bad for side sleepers, but I do know that side sleepers sleep better on pocketed coils. Now for those of you who do not know the difference, pocketed coils are more airy and spaced and most importantly do not have any dependence on the other coils within the mattress. They run independently and can thus be more conforming to the person in a better, comfortable way. Of course, the preference of the pocketed coils does depend largely on the type of body the sleeper has as well as the construction of the mattress and the materials used for this process, but this is a consensus. Since they work independently, they do have a great level of comfort they provide and as far as I know, relieves a great amount of pressure, so you should be good there. Thankfully, the support layers (in an innerspring mattress, this means the coils) are not the weakest links in a mattress, and hence their durability (though depending on the type of material used for its construction) is relatively high.

10. Joyce McGregor

Joyce McGregor New Member

I was reading this forum and felt the itch to offer some help.
    So I had a little time on my hands and did some extensive research so that you could get some options to choose from. There are some nice options around the Burlington area which should be within a 75-mile radius and hence travel around shouldn’t be too hard of a task. Also, these options are pretty good, and I’ve heard some excellent reviews about them, best of which I shall post below. Note that these are selected based on some factors, such as which one is closer to you, that you can reach without too much difficulty, and mostly the brands that can help you find the mattress that you’re in search of and further have great customer service and indulge in addressing a customer’s “true cares” (bad pun).

burlingtonmattress.us/: check them out, they not too far from you and they sell latex mattresses (Talalay to be precise).

heartofvermont.com: Again, a great choice, they are quite close to you and have great feedback! Exclusively innerspring mattresses and infuse only high-quality products into their mattresses. Hence their prices are a little more than your budget.

loonrustics.com: Located in Lincoln, NH. They also sell latex mattresses

That said, I’d strongly recommend that you call them before approaching them. Sometimes they do not update their websites and change locations of the stores which could be a hassle to find later on. But there’s no harm in calling them up and having a casual conversation. I’d suggest that you brief them in on the type of mattress you’re in search of, and ask them if they have any mattresses that suit your specific needs. Note that they will be willing to answer any of your questions, especially if they find out you’re in search of a mattress from a local manufacturer. I think instead of reading out the bulleted points you mentioned above; it would be better to ask them for an innerspring mattress that made use of pocketed coils and further uses latex or at least 1.8 pounds of poly foam or micro coils in the comfort layer which would be above the base layer of the pocketed coils. Also definitely mention your budget range to them, so that they can strike off the top few that they would suggest. Don’t worry about the manufacturer involved and if you do not recognize his/her work because that is not the bigger issue at hand. You just require a good quality mattress made from durable materials and does not use memory foam! Feel free to bombard them with questions regarding your dream mattress, btw. They love getting involved :grinning:

11. Blue Moss

Blue Moss New Member

A big THANK YOU to everybody. I will check out the links and post the status of my purchase on this forum.