What is VPAP

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by mriley86, Oct 28, 2017.

1. mriley86

mriley86 New Member

Hello friends.

My sleep doctor gave me a VPAP script. I am not sure what a VPAP is …have heard a lot about APAP, CPAP, and Bi-PAP…Any ideas?

2. BradHemphill

BradHemphill New Member

Hi @mriley86

VPAP and Bi-PAP machines are essentially the same things. In fact, VPAP is the name given to bi-level machine developed by ResMed.

3. TheKnight

TheKnight New Member

Hello @mriley86

VPAP - Variable Positive Airway Pressure.

Difference between VPAP machine and CPAP

A VPAP machine is technologically more advanced than a CPAP machine. It uses technology to analyze the breathing pattern and provides increased and lower air pressure during inhalation and exhalation respectively.

As @BradHemphill said, VPAP is nothing but a Bi-Level PAP machine. The difference between CPAP and VPAP is the advanced technology which is used in VPAP. However, even with advanced technology, these are pretty simple to use.

4. hendrix

hendrix New Member

As @BradHemphill said, VPAP is bi-level breathing and auto-adjusting PAP device manufactured by ResMed. It is quite similar to Bi-PAP machines. I think you can go for an S9 VPAP, but get a “DAW” from your doctor, so that the DME does not give you some other machine.

5. Damien63

Damien63 New Member

I think this article on PAP Machines will clear doubts regarding different types of PAP machines.

6. josue

josue New Member

If you have been prescribed a VPAP, then you can check out various VPAP machine offered by ResMed, just search on their site, and you will get multiple options. If you want to go for an S10, then there is an AirCurve 10 VAuto, which is claimed to be an auto version of Bi-Level. I have personally not used them, so cannot give you more in-depth details of these machines. I use an AirSense 10 AutoSet.

7. mriley86

mriley86 New Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Thanks, @Damien63 for the link. It was quite informative. Would check out with my insurance and go to ResMed Site and get a VPAP.

8. stephen wright

stephen wright New Member

In case you have not decided yet, 1800cpap and americarecpap.com also offer VPAP. I am not sure about the price and other websites might also provide these machines. Just check and make a judgment call.