What is the best softest mattress & topper in the market!?

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Anya, May 1, 2017.

1. Anya

Anya New Member

The day had finally come. You could not surgically remove the smiles off our faces. My girlfriend and I were incredibly excited to go check out the Tempurdedic. This was not an impulse buy. We had looked up a lot of mattresses and final decided to go for this one. With her weighing around 100 pounds, and me being a little more on the heavier side, we figured our different body types would give us each a unique perspective concerning the main components of the mattress.

Already imagining my body sinking into the cozy memory foam, I patiently waited as she tested the mattress out first. I could feel my ridiculously high expectations get knocked down as I saw her face change when she laid down on it. The mattress we had landed on after much research did not impress her at all. Now, although I leave most of the decision making to her, I decided to test the mattress out myself, just to make sure. Even though my body sank into the mattress a little bit, the mattress was a lot less cozy than I had expected it to be. We realized how hard this mattress was. We decided to look for a mattress that makes us feel like we were laying down on a cozy cloud surrounded by angels looking over us. (I told you I had ridiculously high expectations)

In case the short anecdote above did not help you draw a word picture in your mind, we were pretty disappointed with the memory foam. Not only that, but I was a little sad when I realized how hard mattress shopping can be. I figured it would be as easy as going to a store, picking out a mattress, and bringing it home. Turns out, I was wrong. There are just too many choices out there. It is too hard to choose one among the countless mattresses the industry has to offer. Judging from the numerous websites I read on mattress buying, it takes a lot of research and field-testing to be able to find your ideal mattress. Since I am not an expert on the subject, I decided to ask you guys for a little help.

We are looking for a spongy mattress, since we have been using a regular firm mattress for a while and would like to move on to something a little more comfortable. I am no expert when it comes to mattresses, so if there are any mattress experts out there who would be able to give us any advice on which is the next best mattress to buy, we would really appreciate it.

2. rbeauty111

rbeauty111 New Member

@Anya Judging from the information given in your post, I am guessing that you guys are looking for a soft and squishy mattress. In my opinion, the soft are cozier mattresses are definitely the way to go! However, the problem is that the research just gets deeper from here. There are several different types of soft mattresses. Since you tried memory foam and did not like it, I guess we can strike that out of the list.

While talking about quality of materials, I think latex mattresses are dependable and they should definitely do the job for you. I find that a latex mattress with a lower IFD (Impression Force Deflection) will provide you that feeling of lying down on a cloud, as they tend to be softer and have that swish softness. Although I would be able to recommend a bunch of different types of mattresses, I would suggest you look around for a mattress with a lower IFD since some mattresses could be excessively soft or not soft enough. Some field-testing and research should help you nail down your ideal mattress.

Another tip I would give you is to look for 100% latex mattresses. The higher level of comfort and longevity provided are just a few among the several other advantages. Other advantages of latex mattresses include no smells, no disturbances etc. Most of the customers who have bought latex mattresses seem to appreciate the absence of any sort of chemical odors. Moreover, even if there is any odor, it is usually faint and sweet, which people do not really find disturbing. Another huge advantage of buying a latex mattress is the motion isolation. Any sort of movement made by you on your side of the bed will not affect your partner’s sleep since these movements are barely noticeable on the other side of the bed.

100% latex mattresses are not very easy to find with local dealers. Most of them have variants of mattresses with latex in them, which is not at all the same as 100% latex mattresses. If you look around a little bit though, you certainly will find a dealer with this kind of mattress. Hope this forum helped you. Hope you find your ideal mattress!

3. kevinjones23

kevinjones23 New Member

If you have not tried out a latex mattress yet, I would recommend you go to a good mattress showroom around you, and try out a mattress called Pure Latex Bliss. This way you do not have to end up buying a random mattress, which also getting an idea of what a latex mattress feels like.

4. rodney

rodney New Member

Mattresses that contain memory foam generally serve you fine for a couple of months. In my opinion, they start to get soft and squishy after a certain amount of time. Speaking from personal experience, I used a memory foam mattress, (5”) and it worked fine for me for a couple of months until it started giving me awful backaches. It seems as if memory foam has gotten excessively soft nowadays, which is not to be confused with being comfortable.

There are mattresses that give your body the support and comfort it requires for a good night’s sleep, and there are mattresses that are excessively soft. The softness of these mattresses ends up causing its owner body pains, which leads to them ending up in a guest room or the basement, which is what happened in my case. Your description of what the Tempurpedic mattress felt like was accurate, and if I can give you any advice at all, it would be that memory foam is not the right fit for you. My suggestion would be to go to a couple of stores and try out some latex mattresses, to get a feel of what it is like. This may help you make a more informed decision.

5. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Deciding on buying a mattress solely because it has memory foam could be a little bit of letdown. The problem is that when people hear those two words put together, they picture a cloud-like mattress that gives your body the glorious sleep it’s been craving. This is not really the case. In reality , there are many factors that affect the softness of memory foam, such as heat and pressure.

In response to heat and pressure, the memory foam molds to a person’s body, evenly distributing body weight. Once the pressure is removed, it returns to its original shape. Over the last couple of years, memory foam has become increasingly popular and common. When it was introduced, only certain companies produced these mattresses, hence the prices were a little higher. Now, there are many other companies producing mattresses of similar quality, with relatively lower price tags. It is to be noted that even though mattresses may be of similar build and quality, every memory foam mattress reacts differently to heat and pressure.

A particularly swishy mattress would be the Simmons BeautySleep Plush Pillow Top 450. It is worth checking out, since it seems like it has that plush softness that you seem to be looking for, judging from your post. It has latex over NXG memory foam, which should be able to give you the right amount of support and comfort, without having to sacrifice on either one of these factors.

6. DJay

DJay New Member

If I can give you one tip, it would be that looking for recommendations for a mattress to buy is perhaps the wrong approach to take when looking for your ideal mattress, as even the best mattress experts would not be able to decide which mattress is best for you.

Mattress preferences depend solely on the customer, which is why going to different stores and checking out different types of mattresses is definitely the easiest way to find your ideal mattress. Although most people try to decide which mattress to buy by surfing online, it is practically impossible to know for sure, unless you do a little field-testing, so that you can get a better idea as to what works for you and what doesn’t.

7. SleepingBeauty

SleepingBeauty New Member

Tempurpedic mattresses are not all great imo. I have several friends tell me that these mattresses just did not suit their sleeping preferences. In my opinion (and I do not have any research to back it up, because it is simply an opinion) people who suffer from various sleep issues or individuals who are on the heavier side may prefer looking for other options.

It is not that Tempurpedic mattresses are bad. Every person who has told me that these mattresses are not working out for them have one thing in common: they all stated that the mattress was fine for a couple of months. The reason for this is that these mattresses can easily be affected by temperature. Change in temperature can cause these mattresses to either remain soft, or get harder. Therefore, unless you plan to keep the temperature of your room constant throughout the year, these mattresses are probably not suitable for you.

Since you guys have decided that Tempurpedic mattresses do not suit you, you may want to check out other options such as latex mattresses. I personally feel that a latex mattress would be the right fit for you, judging from what you talked about in your post. With benefits including high quality sleep, one of the good things about latex mattresses is that it provides you with the perfect balance between comfort and support for your spine.

Since you sleep with your partner, one of the added benefits of a latex mattress is that it does not conduct movements that easily. This means that no matter how much you toss and turn around on your side of the bed, your partner will not be affected by it. She will still be able to have a good night’s sleep.

Hope this information was useful for you guys. Good luck finding you ideal mattress!

8. Valentino

Valentino New Member

Maybe suits the OP for this specific instance. But otherwise, I don't completely agree with you. You can't decide on a mattress by just lying or sitting on it for a minute. Social proof of people who have used it for long helps. About buying it online, it is fine these days with most websites offering 30-100 days refund and return. The extending trial period allows one to understand everything and then decide.

9. Magdalina

Magdalina New Member

I must say that I really like the comments and opinions posted by people here. Let me tell you guys a little about my preferences and needs, so that you can help me find my ideal mattress.

Let me start by saying that both my husband and I are plagued with joint and other body problems. I have had Fibromyalgia, which is a long-term condition, which causes very bad pain spread over the body. The disorder causes a lot of muscle stiffness, difficulty in sleeping, headaches etc. The worst part of this disorder is the fact that it causes the individual suffering from it to have an increases sensitivity to pain. In short, this disorder is bad enough without a stiff mattress causing even more pain and making me life that much more difficult and painful.

My husband suffers from osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a medical condition, which causes your bones to become stiff and very fragile due to tissue loss. This condition makes your bones very vulnerable to breaks and other injuries. My husband has suffered from spinal fractures caused by osteoporosis, due to which he has had to surgery a couple of times. And the problems don’t end there! As if our conditions were not bad enough, we got into a fatal car accident about two years into our marriage. The accident combined with our health issues have required us to go through many surgeries over the last couple of years.

Due to all the problems mentioned above, we are now looking for a soft and fluffy mattress; a mattress that gives you that plush softness. A mattress that would be able to give my husband and me the comfort and support our bodies so desperately require. The reason why I came to this forum is that we have bought a few “soft” mattresses in the past, which have all turned out to be useless, at least for us. The problem is that these so-called soft mattresses are probably just fine for healthy people, but they do not get the job done for two people who suffer from bad bone and joint issues.

I bought a memory foam mattress about a year and a half ago, because it was supposed to be quite soft. As many of the people on this forum said, the memory foam mattress was not as soft as I thought it would be. In fact, it turned out to be quite inflexible. We could not return that mattress though, due to the store’s ridiculous return policy! Since then I have bought several mattress toppers, which were supposedly the best toppers for my condition. I currently sleep on top of about five toppers, none of which has succeeded in giving my body that support and comfort it needs. My husband still fluffs the toppers every night to try to get that softness. Still, I wake up every morning feeling as if I’ve been hit by a freight train!

So I am looking for a mattress that doesn’t require several toppers to make it soft, because I’ve already tried that and have come to the conclusion that it doesn’t work. Can somebody suggest a mattress that is soft on its own? It does not necessarily have to be so soft that I will sink 6 inches deep into it when I lay down. Just soft enough that my body won’t feel like it’s being thrown against a wall every time I go to bed at night.

I have heard a little bit about latex mattresses. Is there anybody who can give me any information about them? All opinions and comments are welcomed and appreciated.

10. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I am very sorry to hear about the conditions both you and your husband are suffering from. I would also like to tell you that since you are looking for a mattress that is suitable for your condition, Fibromyalgia, it should not be too hard to narrow it down. There are companies that make mattresses that are supposed to help people with conditions like fibromyalgia.

Due to the fact that Fibromyalgia causes specific type of joint pain, you must be looking for a mattress that is specially designed to relieve the pressure on the affected muscles and joints, which in turn will ease the pain. The reason why the normal soft mattresses didn’t work out for you is that your body sinks down into the mattress if the mattress is too soft. This causes stress on the joints, which amplifies the pain. And since you have Fibromyalgia, this pain will be felt even more intensely!

My father-in-law who suffers from the same conditionand after more than a month of an extended mattress hunt, he settled on Intellibed 10265 Posture Perfect Mattress and he is pretty happy with the comfort it gives him. It's marketed as being ideal for people with back pain but is a bit expensive. The Intellibed is a mattress, which contains their patented component called Gel Matrix. This gel matrix provides enough support and comfort which helps in relieving the stress on the joints and muscles. Not only that, but this mattress helps keep your spine aligned.

I hope this information helped you. I really hope this mattress is the right fit for you, because I saw the pain and agony my father-in-law went through before he landed on this mattress. Let me know how it works out for you. Cheers!