sleepaider.com is supported by readers. When you buy with our links, we may earn a commission.Learn more

What is the average lifespan of a mattress?

E

ella fletcher

A straightforward question. Can anyone tell the average lifespan of a mattress?

I had a made-to-order mattress that is on its deathbed. I want a new mattress but am torn between different types of mattresses. I want to know the average lifespan of different mattresses to make an informed decision.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

A

AYVEN

Hi there,

A mattresses' lifespan depends on several things. Most importantly, the material which it is made of. I will list a few mattresses and their life expectancy:
  • Cotton: Approximately 1 to 2 years, after which it will require re-fluffing
  • Coir: Approx. 3 to 5 years, after which you will need a new mattress
  • Spring Mattress: Typically lasts for 5 to 7 years
  • Foam mattress: About 5 years
  • Latex foam mattress: 10 to 15 years. Since it is a natural elastic, these tend to last for a long time
I hope this answers your query.

Cheers.

S

SPIDERMAN

It boils down to what these mattresses are made of. If you go for natural materials, then it will last for a long time compared to a foam mattress. Weight also plays a significant role in determining the lifespan of your bed. If you are heavy, then it will wear out sooner.

More than the longevity of the mattress, the comfort level should be important. A mattress can stay intact for a decade or two, but their comfort levels usually start waning after 5 to 7 years.

Jacelyn

Jacelyn

The lifespan of a mattress is an open-ended question. It differs from person to person. Few do not change their mattress for more than two decades, while others frequently keep on changing it. Technically speaking, a mattress should last for about 7 to 8 years. This, again, is dependent on the quality of the materials used.

If you have not yet decided, I’d suggest going for a latex mattress. It will last you for at least 15 years.

Lamarion

Lamarion

The longevity of a mattress depends on
  • Materials used - good quality materials helps in increasing the longevity
  • Time spent on the mattress – rarely used mattress lasts longer
  • Body Weight – heavy set people tend to create deeper compressions in mattresses which affects the life expectancy
  • Purpose – is the bed only for sleeping or serves as a base for other activities like watching TV or acts as a playground for kids?
  • Level of care - if cleaned regularly to take care of mites and bugs, then it will last for years
Of all the types, Bonobed mattress lasts for many years. They have layers of memory foam, latex, and cooling gel, which makes it last longer. These mattresses also come equipped with washable fabric covers making it easier to maintain.

G

genisis67

A good mattress, under ideal conditions, should last for 10 to 15 years. Since it is practically impossible to have near-perfect conditions all the time, the average lifespan will be around 7 to 10 years.

E

everitt

What you pay is what you get. If one invests in good brands that offer mattresses made of quality materials, then it will last longer than the mattress made with inferior materials. If you go for a spring mattress, the first thing to break down will be the innerspring unit. If you opt for latex or memory foam, then it won’t be a problem.

Long story short, invest in a good mattress, and it can easily last for more than 10 years.

R

Rita

Five to seven years, at the maximum. Anything more depends on the way it is treated. Use it only for sleep and maintain it well, and your mattress can last for 10 years. Anything more can compromise comfort levels.

I hope I was helpful.