vi spring hanbury superb & Hypnos Bedstead Mattress reviews

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by MickRorty, May 25, 2018.

1. MickRorty

MickRorty New Member

Hello, one and all. Welcome to this brand new thread that I have created, and I hope you can find yourself participating in this discussion. I am new to the idea of having public discussions through means of social media, but honestly, it is a little enthralling, and ever since I’ve been in the phase of researching for a new mattress, this is the one thing on my mind.

To cut a long story short, I am getting married this spring and could not be more excited. However, I didn’t factor in all the other planning phases I’d have to undergo while making such an important decision in both our lives and at this point it is a little overwhelming. We had decided to get rid of all our old stuff and start afresh (both divorcees) and want to start on a fresh new page, together with things we’ve bought together.

We have been to only two retail stores until now and one showroom (not sure what the difference is). Since we weren’t sure about how we felt about different materials such as memory foam, innerspring, latex, etc., we decided to start from scratch and work our way up to the top. We were leaning towards latex after everything that I’d read, keeping in mind that “latex is not for everyone,” but it was the pretty comfortable mattress for me. My fiancée, on the other hand, had some trouble with it and said that it was fine, just not what she had in mind. I want to make sure that everything we get, we both share happiness in it equally, so we tried out other mattress types and are pretty set on the feel of spring mattresses ;). For now, we have our minds pretty set on this. Shifting thoughts to a different kind of mattress right now would be a waste of time because we spent a good day figuring out something we both enjoyed. Plus latex was only suitable for me, so that’s off the table and we are far from considering only memory foam mattresses.

From what I’ve read, we also know that if we are going with the innerspring, we are steering clear of the pillowtop models. Also, we had Serta on our minds, considering the first mattress we ever slept on together was that. But research proved that the big S’s were to be avoided, and that’s exactly what we have in mind. Some brands that stood out for us when we checked them out were the lesser-known brands. Of these, we particularly liked Vi-Spring (Hanbury Superb, excellent feel) and the Hypnos (Bedstead), both of which were very comfortable for both of us, but we couldn’t make a distinction, asking each other to choose whichever we wanted.

This is where we got caught in a serious rut, because at least if one of us had an issue with one of the mattresses, we wouldn’t have to drag this situation further. Also, the weirdest thing was that when I was doing some research on these companies, I learned that there were like no reviews at all for them anywhere, which appeared a tad bit shady to me. Which is why I’m here. I need someone who owns one of these mattresses to give us an idea of what it’s like to own one and hopefully if some professional on the topic could give us a full-fledged review of the same, that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Onatah

Onatah New Member

Hello, @MickRorty. Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the forum. As a long time member, I can say with confidence that the reason these forums are so active and up to speed is because of the energy members such as yourself create on it. I am glad you have set your mind on the innerspring mattress. I do not have any experience with either of these mattresses, but when I was on my mattress hunting mission a few years ago, I did have the chance to check them, both out on a rather extensive note.

In fact, I still remember how I spent a good eight hours in a Hypnos outlet. It was insane, but I got so caught up with the dynamics of the mattress, and the salesman got the manager involved, and the three of us were just debating and explaining to each other the benefits. The discussion ranged from the mattress itself to the benefits it had with regard to other mattresses, the innovations, the predictable improvements in the near future, everything.

Given the choice that I didn’t instantly fall in love with my current mattress, which is a hybrid, I would’ve gone with the Hypnos, mostly because the employees are so nice and amiable. I feel a return/refund would be done with relative ease and just because I feel like I owe the company that, for the warm experience I had with their outlet. I mean, they did spend almost their entire workday explaining and discussing mattress terms with me on an extensive note, so there’s no doubt that they deserved my purchase. Anyhow, based on my personal experience, the Hypnos is a good option, but for me, as a 105 lb side+back sleeper, it was way too firm.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what we discussed for so long, but the fact that they were willing to help, despite their being aware that they were not going to get the sale says plenty about the company and their integrity. On the other hand, I also remember my experience with Vi-Spring. It was also super fun, of course, but also too firm for my liking. I wonder if that has something to do with my weight, but either way, a medium-to-firm feeling for a light sleeper.

One thing I would recommend is to go for an innerspring mattress that makes use of some material other than memory foam in the comfort layers. The springs are only in the support layer, and often another material is used in the comfort layer. Both the mattress that you have mentioned mostly make use of poly foam or memory foam, which is not the most durable of products, increasing the chances of the mattress softening or sagging sooner than you’d expect. One suggestion would be to try out the Green Sleep: this is an innerspring mattress brand that makes use of high-quality springs in their mattresses and the comfort layers use latex which is much more durable. Latex will not sag or soften as quickly as memory foam or polyfoam does. Also, they lie within the same price range anyway, so that’s a win for you.

3. MickRorty

MickRorty New Member

Thank you for your response @Onatah. I am feeling quite blue to be honest because I just made a trip to the retailers of both these brands and found your description to be quite the case for us as well. Both of us are also light sleepers and found that they were both too firm for our liking, but if we were to choose one between the two, we’d also go with the Vi-Spring. There is a particular feeling that comes along with the Hypnos, and I like it, no doubt. Just that it worries me in the long run because I don’t want to end up with a mattress that can pose threats to our backs and such. Also, I’ve read many reviews that say it’s always better to get a firmness level that is higher than what you want to extend the durability and get a topper to get the comfort that you need, but to me, that seems useless.

What I mean is why you would buy a mattress that isn’t comfortable to you in the first place? I won’t lie, to just get over with this situation, we did initially consider just buying the Vi-Spring, but once we got a chance to think clearly, we realized this wasn’t a decision we were to make overnight. Plus, this is going to be something that will reflect in our lives for the next decade or so, so we must act smartly. This just confirmed that we were to keep looking, possibly hoping for something better sometime soon. One thing’s for sure, this headache, which is the purchasing of everything new is only growing bigger and bigger (haha), but I guess that’s a small price to pay considering I get to spend the rest of my life with the love of my life.

That said, we do not have a constrained budget as such, but yes, we do not have money growing on our trees either, so I guess there is certainly an upper limit, but we are not ready to compromise quality for lower prices. I think we see this as more of an investment and if something of better quality makes way for itself, we will choose that over anything else. The very reason we are steering clear of memory foam is that of its tendency to soften or sag in the near future, and polyfoam because it is a petroleum-based product and in general, harmful to the environment. We would prefer something that had latex in it, but my fiancée isn’t in love with the feeling of it, so we will have to check it out. Hopefully, they’ll have many models ranging ILDs to pick from? As long as the price of the mattress reflects true durability as well as quality, I am sure we can swing it, for that we can stretch the budget a little more if we have to.

The main reason why we are now confirming to move away from these two brands is that we still haven’t been able to find any reviews on their official website or elsewhere and that appears overly shady, now that we’ve talked to the salesperson and everything. One concern I had with your suggestion of Green Sleep is this: don’t they make latex mattresses exclusively? Is this supposed to be a hybrid?

4. Mathias Hk

Mathias Hk New Member

Hey guys, I’d just like to chime in right here, I feel it’s the appropriate place to share my personal experience with the Hypnos and Vi-spring myself. By the way, they were finalists in my mattress list as well, but thank God I decided to try them out before making any rash decisions. If there’s anything that I’ve learnt from mattress shopping, it’s to go with your own instincts, and actually try them out, spread yourself out on it, make sure that you’re comfortable on it and DO NOT fall for flimsy excuses of cheaper rates because that can quickly become one of the biggest regrets of your life.

Your mattress plays a significant role in how you present yourself to the rest of the world and lack of a good night’s sleep can affect your health as well. I hated Hypnos like no other mattress. It was the hardest piece of crap and is an excuse for a mattress. I honestly don’t know how anyone would be comfortable on that because it is like sleeping on the floor, which would be less expensive with a better feel (if anything). Pardon my slight exaggerations; it’s just one of the few things I was not able to get the answer to from the store. I asked them time after time how anyone would be comfortable with something like that, and what stunned me was that many people like the feel of it.

The Vi-Spring was a huge relief, a better feel for sure but still firm. I guess maybe sleeping on memory foams for all my life made me accustomed to a certain level of fluff, but this made me question everything. More than that I liked their company, the brand in itself and its philosophy and the ambiance of the workplace that was their outlet. It was nice and bubbly, with the salesmen chirping about various details of the mattresses they were assigned to, but most importantly, they weren’t clingy or pushy to get the sale either, you know? Which is crucial for me. Their warranty is also nice.

I don’t know if you’ve ever heard or considered the Hastens brand: they are excellent and have an excellent value for sale. Also, they are perfect for you if you want a quality bed while staying away from latex mattresses. It’s pretty funny to me, how these “environmentalists” claim that getting a latex mattress makes them green buyers. What a load of BS. Unless you’re getting the mattress molded out of the sap that comes directly from the trees, you’re getting a modified version of what is pure, and let’s face it in our world today; nothing is pure. You do realize that there are so many chemicals they add to it (even if it’s just for cleaning or whatnot) but Ammonia is one thing they add for sure, to give it a softer feel on touch. I’d say go for a company that uses as little synthetics as possible.

What’s even more hilarious is how companies claim they are 100% natural, and people fall for it, considering it smells like shit. The truth is, these companies probably have some percentage of poly content in it, which is non-biodegradable, so you tell me who’s being environment-friendly now? That’s the only correct way in which they can keep all the stuff held up together, the natural materials that they are and make sure you take some good time to look into the company you’re spending a fortune on.

5. Onatah

Onatah New Member

Hello @MickRorty, and yes they do make exclusive latex mattresses as well, but they have expanded. I am aware of a few other mattress models they have expanded to, which involves a mattress that has pocket coils (these coils have been hand-tied by laborers), which is present in the support layer, and on top of it is a nice comfortable layer of latex. These mattresses are best paired up with foundations that are slat-based (this is the common usage by Europeans) or even dowel based. Both of these options will work just fine. If I should ever buy another mattress in the near future (my 12-year-old daughter is itching for one), I would consider this one. I do have to mention that I’ve slept on a Hypnos, it was the mattress that my childhood best friend had at her new place, and OMG was it uncomfortable. I had a Tempur-Pedic for a brief week before I returned it due to excessive firmness, and I can tell you that the Hypnos was worse than that experience (so that you can get a reference).

I don’t think it’s the best option for you to play with your decision, I say keep looking. If your fiancée doesn’t like the feel of this mattress, yes there are other innovations within Green Sleep that I would recommend. They have so many models that you could spend a good day shopping and find something appropriate. My husband, who is 6’2” found the Hypnos too firm of a mattress, so you can imagine what that’s saying. Know that I, in no way, have any intention of promoting the Green Sleep. I just had a lovely experience with one of their mattresses.

Also, @sleepmaniac, what is your impression of the Green Sleep mattress?

6. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

A kind note to everyone reading this thread, please DO NOT spread wrong information, if what you’re saying cannot be backed up with undeniable evidence. This is with regard to what @Mathias Hk has said, and has to do with ammonia added to the latex. First off, the very purpose that you stated for ammonia being added to them is wrong. This chemical is added to the latex that is shipped for longer durations of time to prevent the process of vulcanization from occurring. This process can modify the structure and chemical properties of the latex and for sure is NOT added to make the latex softer. I have no idea where you’ve gotten that piece of information, but I can assure you that you are wrong. The least you could do is stop spreading the wrong information, or at least confirm with someone who has a little more knowledge on the subject.

Now Green Sleep is a company that does not make use of this chemical in any of their processes, simply because they need not to. Whatever they can harvest in the morning goes through a simple procedure of getting converted to rubber cores later on that very day, and therefore the need of ammonia is diminished. It acts as a stabilizing agent, and in this case, it is in not necessary. Also, you are making it seem as though the rubbers that are produced within USA or Europe that may be exported is dipped into liquefied ammonia and let the rubber absorb it all. Surely you understand that there is a process that is involved with the conversion of these cores into foam, and for that, just a small amount of ash is required.

Surely by now, if you didn’t already know, you’ve Googled what vulcanizing means and you are aware that sulfur is added to it so that it can become more durable, but this is a widespread procedure done by most companies. Even so, this is only considered a good thing as it is elongating the longevity of the mattress. Further, the addition is only a measly 3% (at most), so 97% of the mattress is still all natural. If you are saying that a mattress mold needs to made, wherein the sap can be poured in directly and slept on as though it were a real mattress, then you must be talking about some make-belief parallel universe because such a case is non-existent.

About the poly material used in these mattresses – sure, they use some amount of it while constructing latex mattresses, note that many companies are steering clear of this tradition as it is to appear green, but this is not affecting the latex content whatsoever. The latex is still all natural product, but another completely separate material is just added to it. Most of the brands that make use of copious amounts of the same are the Big S’s and such. That said, Hastens and Vi-Spring from my knowledge make use of the truly natural product in their construction process, especially if you want a soft feel. I must agree with the proposition that Hypnos is typically firmer than one would expect. Green Sleep, on the other hand, has a very diverse way of producing their mattresses, but undoubtedly is involved in manufacturing some of the purest versions of mattresses in the industry and have a certificate to back their claim.

7. Mathias Hk

Mathias Hk New Member

I appreciate the information you were able to provide me with and thank you for correcting me. I have no intentions of creating a feud, from what it appears you have a fair share of knowledge on the subject, and I don’t hold a candle to that. I will say though that all I meant was that if natural latex is purest in its form of being “sap,” then how can you possibly claim it’s completely natural with adding CHEMICALS such as sulfur or ammonia? Ash, you claim? Yes, I am sure that is good for the environment, yes? All I’m saying is, you guys have gotten the vegans thinking that what they are doing is right, when it makes no sense to me even now (yes, despite your long post) and there’s no way you could convince me that latex is the perfect way to change our roles in the environment, and give back.

BS is what that is. Now don’t think that I have some sort of hatred towards latex because I don’t. In fact, I bought myself a nice little mattress four years ago, from this local manufacturer in Idaho and it was super comfortable. My point being, I have had my experience with the material, so it’s not like I have anything against it. What I was trying to say is that the Hastens mattress that I own and have been using for the past eight years is a true delight, and I think that everyone should experience what I am. Plus, they had mentioned that beds with springs are preferable over latex, which is the only reason I posted in the first place. Sure, the budget is a little more than the Vi-Spring or Hypnos, but I cannot tell you the amount of happiness it has brought my girlfriend and me.

Hell, I won’t lie, for a good five months into our relationship, I thought she was dating me for my bed because we’d come back and she’d plop right onto it and refuse to get up. I don’t blame her, the mattress is pure heaven and made from great quality. I am the true testament for this mattress and can vouch for it anywhere, anytime, and when I say that it has been life-altering, I mean it.

There’s this really interesting video that I found for you @MickRorty, which is a comparison of a Hasten mattress vs. non-hasten and some things they consider that others don’t. Though the video is an old one (nearly eight years old), trust me, this will make you feel so much better about spending some extra cash on it. I think that before making any purchase, the one thing you should spend time on is getting to know more about the brand itself, and what kind of links they have with other companies, their reputation, the kind of material they use in their mattress and such. This company has 100+ years of experience with making mattresses and would be a great buy.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you make the right decision (Go, Hastens!).

8. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @Onatah

I am assuming you’d want me to make a comparison to other mattresses, and since this thread has been dedicated to the Vi-Spring and Hypnos, that’s precisely what I’ll do. Also with regard to the Hastens.

Durability

Some pros and cons are present while making this comparison that has to be taken into account but from a practical point of view, the Green sleep is a real winner. It makes use of a woolen layer in the cover, promoting breathability as well as softness (adding to the comfort) and the only “indentations” that are visible on this mattress are contained within this layer. The Vi-Spring or Hasten mattresses make use of upholstered material, in particular with animal/vegetable fiber, which I don’t think could take more than one body set which is a real shame, considering it does not have a significant reduction in price for being so. This is one of the common regrets within a myriad of folks, and honestly, it makes them question the value of the purchase, but it is what it is.

Natural rubber just doesn’t hold its shape well, and that is a fact. Siding with you on this one, I’d have to say that with regard to durability, Green Sleep has many benefits, one of the obvious ones is that when it starts creating slight issues, they pertain within the top layer alone. After this, we can always just remove the cover and have it replaced (the pillow-top is detachable). Replace this with a brand new one that will provide the right amount of comfort and the boxspring as well as the foundation need not be touched; they remain as good as new. One of the best things about this bed is that it can easily last you about 15-25 years without compromising on quality. Also, should you feel that it's ineffective, just have the topper replaced, instead of the entire mattress? In a way, it is more cost effective than having to buy new mattresses every five years.

Innerspring system

If I were to speak from personal experience and my knowledge on the subject, I’d have to give this up to Vi-Spring, no doubt. They make use of high-quality coils in the support layer, and I think this support system is more extensive than Hastens too. This, of course, is with respect to how the coils can shape the natural curvature of your body (and not taking into account, the durability of the support system). There’s no doubt that each one of these three brands has good durability because they are all made from high-quality products, hence the support systems will last you forever, but as I said, Green Sleep is most durable.

Cost-effectiveness

While making a purchase, one of the most important factors is the value of the purchase. That is, whether or not we are getting the product for the price we’ve paid, and whether it’s worth it. I would have to say with regard to breathability amongst layers, and total coolness of the surface, Vi-Spring, and Hastens has a better statistic, but since we are talking about the cost-effectiveness, you have to take into account just how durable the mattress is. The choice not only depends on how much you’re going to spend on the mattress, but which one feels best to you, with regard to the PPP of the mattress. Aside from this, of course, comes durability and overall value of the mattress.

9. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I would agree with whatever @sleepmaniac said about latex and use of ammonia and sulfur. @Mathias Hk, it was not our intention to point fingers at your or anything. When you say something a mattress, maybe you are looking to know more about a certain process or a certain product, but others might blindly believe everything that was written. Hope you understand why @sleepmaniac pointed it out.

Coming back to the topic of vulcanization and rubber being in its most natural state – what happens when the agents that are used during the various steps involved in vulcanization are natural? In most cases, it is better to use the term “natural” instead of “organic” (because this is not always the case and I don’t want to spread the wrong information). Some organic components are involved in the mattress, however. The Green sleep mattresses, in particular, use wool and cotton in its cover, essentially qualifying it to be an “organic cover.” It makes the cover breathable and airy while the wool makes temperature regulation possible.

Since you seem very much bothered by the fact that sulfur ash is used in the bottom layers of the mattress, you might also want to consider what kind of dying is used for the covers made from cotton and whether or not heavy metals are used during this process. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but cotton that is grown in a non-organic fashion makes use of pesticides, and from what is being proven on a daily basis, we know that most of them are carcinogens, aka, cancer producing agents. Not to mention the people who are involved in this cultivation have serious threats to their lives. Just saying it’s easy to point out what you’re aware of but there’s so much happening around it that technically nothing we create can ever be classified as “natural.”

I am unaware of the certificates Hastens for the materials that it incorporates into the mattresses, but Vi-Spring does make use of wood pulp in the comfort layers of the mattress and is often considered as a luxurious treat to most sleepers. Want a little inside information? It is spun from a synthetic form of rayon and has been spun in such a way so that it forms that fabric, to get that very feel of it. As @sleepmaniac said, the best option with regard to maximizing the value of the purchase would be the Green Sleep, because they make use of high-end products to produce a high-end mattress at a very reasonable price.

I would say, do not listen to our words alone. A lot of factors need to be considered, such as whether the elimination of pressure points exists, whether it is comfortable enough for you during your sleep, whether your sleeping positions is complemented by the bed, whether there is enough amount of sinkage/spring/softness/firmness; factors which can be decided by you.

10. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

@sleepmaniac, thank you for your detailed reply to the Green sleep mattresses, and I found it rather interesting. Also, a tad bit confusing, because I didn’t quite understand what you meant when you said that the indentations that may appear on the mattress are conformed to the top layer. Does this mean that there are chances of permanent body indentations to occur?

This is something I am considering to buy, this mattress was a real jewel to me when I tried it out at the showroom, but I doubt it if there are possibilities of permanent body impressions to show. I used to have a memory foam mattress and one of the reasons I had to get rid of it so fast is because these weird, extensive body impressions grew on it so quickly (less than a year) and it became as soft as a marshmallow, so now I need to get something that has quality and will last me a good decade. Green Sleep is one of the possible candidates, and I am digging all the perks. I am aware of the cotton+wool layer within the cover, and I am so excited about it. I think I should share this, considering that when I heard of the “wool” layer, I was scared that I would sleep hotter than usual, considering that woolen clothes are worn to keep us warm. But when I talked to the salesperson, they told me that wool is an excellent temperature regulator and will help me feel cool during summers as well. When I didn’t believe him, he asked me to try it out myself, and I was flabbergasted.

Also, I am very excited about the replaceable comfort layer you were talking about. Since I also got the surety that this mattress looks like the base will last me a good 20 to 30 years, I am considering buying it now. I was wondering though, what kind of firmness do you get with the top layer? Do they have varying levels of ILDs, just in case we don’t like the initial levels? Another mattress that I am so close to buying is the Royal-Pedic. It also can change the comfort layer when needed and is something I am looking forward to. I hope I don’t sound like a total putz, because I am aware that a layer of comfort can be made by anyone, with the help of a topper or protector. Something else I was wondering about, is the pesticides that are used when making the cotton covers: do they wash it after? If they haven’t, is it washable? I don’t want to worry about my clothes, or even the sheets and blankets to be used afterward.

11. Onatah

Onatah New Member

I can’t help but side with @Mathias Hk right here because I too had tried out a couple of Hastens mattresses – they were amazing. I remember spending a good number of hours cruising the showroom and found what they had to offer was quite comfortable. But then again, I do that for most brands, so I had to be sure that this was, in fact, the mattress for me, considering it was priced around $10,000! So that’s precisely what I did; I went to a hotel that had these mattresses and slept there for two nights. I know I might just sound like a lunatic, going to such depths to find my mattress, but I am so glad that I did. In short, I did not enjoy it half as much as I did in the showroom, which made me question the brand. I get that there are many factors that are involved with this, that sometimes the showroom mattresses have had enough time to go through their break-in period and everything, which is all fine and good, but I’ve also heard that the mattress that you bring back home is less comfortable than what you feel in hotels. In hotels, they are capable of replacing it on a regular basis and also, the mattresses aren’t used as thoroughly as you’d use it at home (which makes sense).

Since I found that it was less comfortable at the hotel, I decided it wasn’t the right decision for me to bring it back home. Come on, who would spend so much on mattresses? Plus the model that I slept on in the hotel was quite firm; I was forced to take off the topper in the middle of the night due to excessive tossing and turning, ultimately leading me to awaken. Even after this, I woke up with soreness in my body and stiffness in my back. All in all, not such a great sleeping experience, at least the experience that I had in mind. Also for some reason, this mattress made me feel excessively suffocated like I was sleeping in a hole (which is weird because that feeling normally comes with sleeping on a memory foam mattress).

What I’m trying to say is simple. Sometimes in life, we make rushed decisions. I, for instance, was not expecting myself to take a detour to Chicago, just so I could try out the mattress, but honestly, I am glad I spent $900 to experience that mattress over making the mistake of buying the $10,000 mattress. Know what I’m saying? It was a rather expensive lesson but a good one nonetheless. Stick to your instincts, and if you feel even the slightest pang of confusion in your heart, find out what it is. When it comes to sleeping on your mattress, you need to be certain that you’re most comfortable, because like already mentioned, it does have a big effect on how you behave.

Also, an important lesson I learned from this is that DO NOT fall for what you feel in the showroom because it’s seldom ever the case that the experiences are the same. In fact, this is one of the leading complaints amongst customers, and the major problem is because they get misled into thinking the experience would be same. Again, there’s no saying that post break-in period, the mattress won’t begin to feel the same way. Another mattress that I ruled out similarly was the Tempur-Pedic and boy am I glad I made that decision. I am sure you agree with me when I say that these are not the most cost-efficient ways of finding out what mattress is most suitable for you but still, a lesson learned is all I take it as.