Used CPAP Machines safe?

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by rory, Sep 20, 2017.

1. rory

rory New Member

Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with OSA and recommended to use CPAP, but my insurance would not cover me for that. I have been advised to get a used CPAP machine…was wondering whether it is safe to use, from where I can get it and most importantly whether it is legal.

2. angelina

angelina New Member

Hello @rory

Welcome aboard.

I would like to answer your questions in reverse order.

Used CPAP machine is quite helpful for those who cannot afford a new one or want a backup device. With regards to legality, as far as I know, in the US it is not legal to sell CPAP machine without prescription, so you would need a prescription for buying it.

However, there are individual websites where one can sell and buy their used CPAP machines, such as:

· CPAPdeals
    · secondwindcpap
    · ioffer
    · yahoo shop

On the question of why buying a used machine, I think it depends on the costs and the needs. That said, the used machines are also very safe. Many companies pressure test their machines before reselling it for ensuring the accuracy of device’s pressure readings. The machines itself are cleaned thoroughly both inside and outside, and many companies use same sterilizing techniques that are found in a dentist’s office or surgery rooms…so one can rest assured about the safety and quality of the machine.

However, you should make sure that the machine you buy has data capacity for monitoring and tracking your therapy.

3. marlee

marlee New Member

Hi @rory

I do not see the name of Craiglist provided by @angelina. I have got around 6 machines from them. The only problem is that one has to wait for few months before hooking up a good deal. Some of the prices quoted are atrocious, and if you have useful bargaining skill, you can get a steal deal. My thumb rule is starting at exactly half of the price quoted online. For instance, if a person is selling PRS1 Auto online for $800, which was bought from local DME at $4000, but insurance would only give less than $1500, for that machine I would start at $400 and play around until I get the price I want. Hope you also succeed in your search. As noted by @angelina, they are safe to use..need not worry about it.

4. Argghhh

Argghhh New Member

I bought my CPAP from secondwindcpap. The company has a superb reputation, and their customer support is also excellent. All their used CPAP and BIPAP machines have new power cords, filters, as well as factory sealed 6ft. tubing. You can rest assured about the product from them.

5. river

river New Member

Besides online stores, you can inquire with a relative or friend who might have an excellent working condition CPAP in their closet. The only thing to note in this is to get a new set of hose, mask and water tank, just to be on safe side.

In case you aren’t comfortable with asking friend/relatives, you can quickly check hospital that has sleep labs. These labs very frequently swap their old machines with new, and if you do a little digging around, you can get a terrific deal. Moreover, their cleanliness is usually at the hospital level, so one less worry.

Happy buying

6. elektra

elektra New Member

I bought a CPAP machine from secondwindcpap, and …boy was the process smooth. I was thrilled with the condition of the machine as well as price. One small blip was the number of hours used. I opted for a “lightly used machine” and still got a machine that had 1500 hours on it, but the device was free of any problems.

Oh btw…the customer service is outstanding and the delivery time is pretty quick. I would surely recommend these guys!

7. Lena

Lena New Member

A dumb question to ask, but –where does one see the total hours on a CPAP machine. I have a ResMed Elite™ S9 with a humidifier which I got for a very cheap rate, and it has been working well for me. I know how to change the pressure settings, but I’m not sure on how to check the hours (the local DME was not very helpful). I like the fact this forum helps people with real points and not some general info which anybody can get. Good luck to everyone.

8. dr

dr New Member

Though I might be repeating the same things, I think unless you have taken the "Major Medical" coverage, a majority of private healthcare plans would cover CPAP, though at different levels and costs. A simple way to know is to check whether they have covered your sleep study..if yes, they cannot deny CPAP coverage. Also, do not trust with the answer of customer service reps, they have been trained to say “No,” talk with the higher-ups and you can see the results.

Also pore over your policy documents directly and very minutely to see what is being offered for "Durable Medical Equipment" like CPAP.

But then again, if your policy is meant for covering only major medical events, then they may be right in denying the coverage.

Please keep in mind that what matters the most is what is written…do not trust any verbal talk always go by what is written.

One more point to add is that insurance companies might want you to submit "Certificate of Medical Necessity" issued by your doctor before they pay for CPAP. Many times, insurance companies do not consider "borderline sleep apnea" as a medical necessity and can deny coverage. For most companies, an AHI of less than 15 events is a case of "borderline OSA." However, this limit is not set in stone, and many companies tend to play around with these limits. I would advise you to inquire with your insurance company limit of AHI where they consider CPAP as a medical necessity. Also, check with them for any other rules for determining coverage (always good to have information on hand).

Hope these would help you in your search.

9. thingamajig

thingamajig New Member

@elektra, I think 1500 hours could be considered as lightly used. If a person on an average uses the machine for 6 hours daily, it will total up to 2190 hours a year, so I think 1500 can be treated as lightly used.

I recently got ResMed S9 AutoSet™ with heated humidifier off CL for $300 but having a runtime of just 2 hours…am damn lucky indeed.

10. comer

comer New Member

To add to @thingamajig, as per secondwindcpap 1500 hours of run time or less is the definition of "lightly used." Of course, this makes it open to customer to interpret the same in their own words and make an informed decision

11. jesus1961

jesus1961 New Member

I have a word for secondwindcpap.com – EXCELLENT. These guys are superb, and their customer service and the response is excellent. Here’s why I would recommend them…I was browsing for a used, but right CPAP and I stumbled upon their site. Logged into their website, which seemed a little bit out of sync with new gen customers, had some issues with finding the correct humidifier setting and in the process, purchased a wrong one. When I called them and told them the problem, by Jove..they almost instantly re-verified my requirements and within one day sent me the correct Respironics humidifier at no cost and without waiting for me to send the wrong unit back. Now that’s what I call excellent customer service…would recommend them to all. Also, they have some real steal deals on non-current models as well as reasonable pricing on current models.

12. crestfallen

crestfallen New Member

Hello there everybody

I have seen many members praise secondwindcpap….but I have had a not-so-pleasant experience. I had ordered a ResMed AutoSet™ S9 with a humidifier. Though I got the said model, the condition was not so good and the hours were nearing 2100, which I feel was too high for a used model…maybe I am the odd one out…but, to be frank, the customer service was good enough. Maybe would have a better luck next time. :(:(:(

13. yo-yo

yo-yo New Member

So sorry to hear about your experience with secondwindcpap.com…you can get a good bargain on used CPAP machines on CPAPDEALS. It is a platform where you can purchase from other users. I have used their website, and they are pretty good at what they do. They would require prescriptions and everything sold on their site is guaranteed so you can have peace of mind. For some additional sum, they would also calibrate, clean and adjust the machines. They are a newish company, started in 2015, so their range might not be too big, but hope you can get what you want.