Trilogy 100 vs BiPAP Machine

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by Brynn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Brynn

Brynn New Member

Our doctors diagnosed my son with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and recommended a ventilator.

I was wondering if we may need to go for a ventilator like the Trilogy 100 or if a BiPAP with S/T might do. Is there a major difference? How is a BiPAP different from a ventilator?

AFAIK, a Trilogy machine costs much more than a BiPAP. Why is it so?

2. ApneaCrusher

ApneaCrusher New Member

A BiPAP machine with the Spontaneous/Timed (S/T) feature keeps your airway open by maintaining a positive air pressure and regulating the pressure as needed. However, when your breathing is shallow, it may not recognize when you shift between breathing in and breathing out.

Moreover, it does not provide enough pressure to ensure that air is filled into the lungs. For that a ventilator will be needed. A ventilator such as the Trilogy not only ensures the required pressure but also the required amount of air is sent to the lungs.

3. bippy

bippy New Member

I use a Trilogy 100 with a mask without a trach.

The BiPAP machine could not recognize the patterns in my breathing because it was too shallow. A ventilator could also function adapting to changing conditions of my breathing. The Trilogy has a number of operating modes so the most appropriate mode could be used according my condition from time to time.

4. jamboree

jamboree New Member

I don't think you actually buy a ventilator for your son's use. These machines are usually rented. (I think a respiratory therapist also comes home with the machine to set it up and monitor its working.)

5. Kris

Kris New Member

A Trilogy machine is believed to be highly efficient. The doctors advised my husband to use one. It's quite small and weighs very little. Comes with a carrying handle and looks like some small TV.
    respironics-trilogy-500x500[1].png
    He uses it with a full face mask. We rent it and it's quite affordable that way.

6. AdamRoush

AdamRoush New Member

The BiPAP is not meant to run at the pressures of a ventilator and It will certainly not "fully" support the breathing. If a person's breathing is more compromised, then he/she will probably hav to switch to a ventilator. Both the ventillator and the BiPAP have similar max IPAP (inhalation Positive Airway Pressure) of 30cm H2O, but the Trilogy has a system that can recognize how much air you breathe and ensure you get enough air.

7. trebla2010

trebla2010 New Member

I am surprised noone mentioned that the Trilogy 100 will have to be rented on a monthly basis and you will need a respiratory technician (RT). No such hassle with the BiPAP, which ofcourse is not meant for people with more severe breathing issues.