tempurpedic cloud supreme vs costco ara memory foam

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by sonnybeals, Feb 1, 2018.

1. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

Hello, one and all. Let me begin by saying I am glad to be here. Forums are not my cup of tea, but the past few weeks I’ve decided to enroll and have been finding them very informative and fun, with all the discussions and petty fights (lol, I love me some drama).

Anyway, like everyone else who comes on this forum with the expectations of learning more about mattresses, I too am in search of a new mattress. My husband and I have been collecting mattresses in a way because this would mark our third mattress in our 10-year marriage (haha). I’ve become an active reader on this forum (and another one) and can’t seem to get enough. I find myself surfing the forum even in the middle of the night, which might make me seem crazy, and at this point, I might just be because I am hoping to get a new mattress soon. I am planning on making this purchase this coming week or the week after that (at max) because it’s sort of important that we get it soon. In fact, I have narrowed down my search to two mattresses – Tempur-Pedic’s Could Supreme and Ara from Costco. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

2. DarkStar

DarkStar New Member

Wow, I must say you have got some choice. I can vouch for Cloud Supreme, but Ara, I am not sure about it. I guess you would have done your homework and then finalized these two. One thing did you check out these online or test yourself because the outcome can be very different from what you expect.

3. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

Thank you @DarkStar for the reply. Even though I have checked these online and have seen it in my friends’ houses, I have been thinking of making some test drives to some of the retail chains as well, but I thought I’d share my choice and get some insight on what you guys think I should opt for, as you are the experts. Also, I promise to get back once I make a purchase, and after that about my experience with my mattress, because often I feel that once customers get what they want, they don’t take the time out to share their personal experiences, which for any customer looking for some insight is crucial.

4. fsofia

fsofia New Member

Any particular reason for those choices?

5. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

Well yes. I have had back issues ever since I was a little girl. At the age of 13, I had to get surgery on my back for scoliosis and ever since my back’s been a little sensitive as it is. Sleeping on any mattress has often caused additional tenderness to my back, neck, and shoulders (the pressure point areas, if I’m not wrong). Even though it’s been a while, I do have regular check-ups with my chiropractor, who does an excellent job of managing any potential flare-ups with professional ease. Anyway, it’s an impossible task for me to be able to sleep on any air mattresses or such, I recall having to sleep over at a friend’s one night, on their spare air mattress and feeling wrecked the next morning. What works better for me is the floor with some pad atop of it to provide comfort. I’ve only done in between our mattress purchases, and I found it more manageable. I am a light sleeper, and hence you can understand why it’s harder for me to sleep on just any mattress, especially given my condition. I take pity on my husband because he has to deal with all this, while he can pretty much sleep on anything: rough or soft, he doesn’t care, and he is on the heavier side (170 lbs, while I am 110 lbs).

Our first mattress was the Sealy Posturepedic (in the Camillo plush) and was the best mattress I’ve ever slept on. It was one amongst the last few flippable mattresses, and I don’t think any other mattress suited me as much. Not that any mattress of mine has ever eliminated the tenderness in my back or neck, but at least it hasn’t been responsible for making it worse, which is crucial for me. That said, of course, I would be overjoyed if I found one that could alleviate the tenderness and pain altogether, but after ten years of searching, I still wasn’t able to find one, but if anyone has any suggestions, do post.

Anyway, this Sealy mattress was a double-sided mattress and worked well for the both of us. A few years later, we went for another mattress that was double-sided and went to the local company known best for producing such mattresses – the OMC (original mattress company) and got ourselves one. It was nice, but I am not sure if the firmness was working just right for me. It’s been less than a year that we’ve had it and every day is a painful battle. I wake up with aches more than tenderness, and we tried everything- all kinds of toppers, we own 6 of our own now, just so we could find something that would go with this mattress, but it was all for vain. This made us give up, and now we have shifted it into our guest bedroom, and hence are back to square one, which for me means sleeping on the floor with a padded topper (sigh).

Now that I have some time on my hands, I figured it’d be best for the family if I did some full-blown research of my own and am liking the look of the Tempur-Pedic series, Supreme in particular because the reviews are awesome. If anyone has anything bad to say about the Supreme, do a voice in, I’d like to know if I’m headed down the right path. Even though it is between $2-2.3k, I am not willing to exceed this limit, and the other Tempur-Pedics that we have tried did not match my needs anyway. You’d be surprised the number of times I’ve walked in and out of that very store, and for some reason the more mattresses I try, the more I go back to the Supreme and CS (Cloud Supreme). For me, the Cloud Supreme is better, and also my husband likes it better than the Supreme, which he claims is too hard for me, but I doubt he’s talking about me alone (haha). Besides, the Cloud Supreme is $200 less than the Supreme, so I want to be sure that they are both worth the money, and also, they are both offering free delivery which I’m assuming involves carrying it up the stairs, so we are gold.

6. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

I am beaming with excitement which is why I knew I shouldn’t have taken up the responsibility to research this mattress because I am a bit of a perfectionist myself. I did dig deep to get some details about Ara. Ara mattress which I found on Costco is a pillow-top Visco Foam mattress, all of 13” thickness that seemed super comfortable and breathable. I did get a chance to talk to the sales rep, and he said that it was their closest model to the Cloud Supreme (and costs $1400 with the base). I was just wondering, for those of you experts, does that sound like a fact?

I mean, are they in fact, comparable with regard to their specifications? If not these, I will have to make the harsh decision of going with the Sealy PP or maybe the Beautyrest from Simmons? I am not sure if it’s the best choice, but I did like the cushion firm and found it relieving my back. Also, if anyone has any reviews about the Sleep Science from Costco (at a thickness of 10”), because the sales rep also said that this mattress was comparable to the Cloud model based on its specifications, and I just wanted to ensure that the source is valid and I’m not just buying whatever they say.

7. pramesh

pramesh New Member

I am not sure whether Ara would be the best option for you, just my opinion but I do feel that in general, this mattress is way too soft. Then again, you didn’t specify what sort of softness you wanted in your mattress, and just that you wanted your back issues to get alleviated but honestly that’s not saying too much. Plus, too much softness can only lead to additional back issues and considering that I’d say probably best to stay away from too much softness. I think you should call up customer care to find more information about the Sleep Science because I’ve heard it’s a pretty stand-up mattress. Also, I’d suggest the Carina (its 11”) since it has a nice amount of firmness, just the right amount topped with a nice amount of softness in the comfort layer, definitely worth a shot. Even the 10-inched iSwitch Comfort is a good choice, I guess you could say stands in between the both, so unless you check it out yourself and test it on a personal level, there’s no way to tell which one’s best. Good luck.

8. LOVELYLADY

LOVELYLADY New Member

If I were you, I’d say it’s time to open your eyes and smell the sulfur. We are aware of the big brands using the cheap material in their construction that can ultimately lead to its demise and us on the streets again. Let’s face it – NO ONE likes mattress shopping because it’s a major pain in the a**. However, I’ve got the solution for you, and this is based on a true hands-on experience between the two types of foam that I’ve personally dealt with (slept on) – latex and memory foam. I’d have to say the winning party here is the former. Let me explain to you the difference in simple words. The first time I slept on latex, it felt like home. It’s kind of like sleeping on cotton while knowing there’s a supportive base that’s got your back. Sleeping on memory foam is more like sleeping on sand. In my case it is wet sand because I sweat my balls off when I’m on memory foam, making it an easy elimination for me.

But hey, don’t listen to me, try it out for yourself. Now the latex mattress I had wasn’t even all latex, given that that would be too expensive of a purchase for me, and hence I made sure that how much ever amount of latex I did have, it would be focused in the comfort layers so that its longevity could be maintained. That said, I did own a TP mattress at one point, and there’s no doubt that the memory foam they use in a TP is much better than the generic crap they use in other brands such as Sealy or Serta. You can say there’s a certain class that goes with owning a TP. All I’m saying is you might want to consider latex, because it’s just so much more durable, and feels better (to me, at least). I prefer Talalay over Dunlop btw, because it’s softer. Hence the common complaint that I see on forums about it being too firm is eliminated right there.

9. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

Thank you for all your reviews. I’m proud to say that as of 5 pm this evening, we are officially the proud owners of… the TP Cloud Supreme! YAAY. We just ordered it this afternoon, and it’s already been set up in our bedroom, ready to be slept on. Thought I’d update you all on the whereabouts of it just like I promised, and don’t worry I won’t stop writing on this thread just cuz I finally got my new mattress. That said, we did not go for the Supreme, even though I fancied myself one. I tried it out in another store actually, that very day and found that it was just too soft. So that eliminated the doubts I had, and I called up my hubby and told him we were getting the Cloud Supreme to which he didn’t respond cuz he doesn’t care as much (HAHA). I must say it did come the very same day, with zero costs in delivery or set up; we got with it two new pillows, both TP and a mattress topper that is waterproof and super fancy. They also said they’d recycle the old mattress, so that’s a relief. I am glad about our overall deal and spent less than $2500 on the whole purchase.

10. lingay21

lingay21 New Member

Hi @sonnybeals. BOY, I am glad you are happy with your purchase because I’m not with mine. I just bought the Cloud Supreme from TP and thought it was nice in the store and everything but two nights in, and my back is sore as hell. I did do some reading up, and in all fairness, it’s only fair on my part to give the mattress a few weeks to kick in and make the magic happen, but I was wondering if you had the same issue. I have never had any issues with soreness especially because of my mattresses, and this purchase was uncalled for. I’ve spent some good money on it, so there’s no way I’m giving up on it just yet. I also tried jumping on it for a bit, hoping that that would help trigger the break-in process, but I’m beginning to feel I just spent a bunch of time and energy on a very stupid procedure. I know for a fact that this mattress did not seem as stiff in the store and maybe it’ll just take time, but I guess I’m just getting cold feet. Everyone warned me before buying this mattress, and I didn’t even have any issues with my previous one, I just wanted to buy this mattress for a while. Plus, the older mattress I’ve had was five years old and a cheap Serta that my grandmother bought for me right before I moved in. It was sagging from its second year of usage itself but didn’t bother me as such.

What I liked the most about the Cloud Supreme at the store was that it had like perfect motion isolation, which is what I was going for. I hate going to bed and waking up my partner every time I get up to tinkle. It bothers both of us, and I figured this was my final shot at redemption. Our friends say that this is the best for motion isolation but so far it seems just average. I hope this also starts kicking in soon. I guess the worst part for me in all this mattress business is knowing what I like. To be honest, I am not sure whether the soft, medium or firm firmness is what I like and 10 minutes of personal testing in the store is not good enough.

My partner and I are both light sleepers (both below 120 lbs), and I am not sure if we are heavy enough to sink just right into the cloud and get the comfort we want. The reason we gave up on the Supreme was that we figured it was too soft, but now I’m having second thoughts. I think I may just wait it out until the 30-day trial period is over and then make my decision, but the pillow we got it with it too is way too firm for my liking. I am not sure of pillows having a break-in period but if it didn’t mean that’s going to suck because I threw out my older one. I am not sure if it’s the pillow or the firmness of the mattress or just me being fussy, but I am not sleeping well, and something needs to be done soon about this.

11. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

Okay, so as promised, here is my update of the mattress after using it for nearly two weeks. After buying the mattress, we had to go down to our beach house for a couple of days, because of my nephew’s birthday, but I did take the liberty of carrying my TP pillow along with me and honestly, more than the mattress I’m in love with this pillow. It is not as soft as most pillows but it works my neck just fine, and I wake up feeling like I just had a massage. Good stuff. One thing’s for sure, wherever I go, this pillow goes. So thank you TP, for these pillows. About the mattress, well like I said it'd been nearly two weeks since we have been sleeping on it, and I have good and bad news. The good news is that my back does not usually pop like it does every morning with all the other mattresses I’ve had, but the bad news is that it is not as comfortable as our old Sealy and sometimes, I sneak into the guest room just so I can feel what that double-sided mattress feels like again. Heaven. So yeah, I am a little bit confused about that. The worst part is that my hubby is having trouble :( He never complains about anything, but last night he told me that he woke up with lower back pain. Granted, he did say that he would get used to it (the sweetheart that he is) but I’m concerned now. If someone like that should have an issue, maybe this mattress isn’t cut out for the both of us. He has always been so supportive and never said I was nuts for going through so many mattresses in less than ten years. I feel it’s time to pay some attention to his needs as well. Plus, I wouldn’t say I’m having the best time on it either, for some reason it feels like I’m sleeping on a mush of play-doh. Sometimes I wish we could just return this and switch to my old Sealy, but we paid $2400 for this mattress, and returning it would render a total of $1400 in store credit, that too, pushing us to look for another mattress. Sigh. I don’t know if we can dive right into that process all over again, the last time that happened I got all crazy, and I know my husband would be most affected by that.

@lingay21, I am not sure about it being too firm for me, but that’s what my husband said as well. That said, I am putting a thin topper on top of the mattress tonight, just so that my husband gets some additional comfort for himself, and I’ll let you know how that goes. Also if anyone has any reviews on what kind of toppers I should use on this mattress? Tempurpedic is a new thing for me, and I have all sorts of toppers, so I am open to experimentation; although I doubt that a latex mattress would be ideal on top of this. Since he’s looking for more comfort, I may just go with memory foam or polyfoam.

12. jeni1220

jeni1220 New Member

Wait, I am so confused, people! How is it possible that you and your husband are sleeping on the mattress and still finding it firm? How is that even possible? I weigh almost the same as you do and to be honest I think the mattress is too soft for my liking and was wondering what to do about it when I came across your post. Weird, indeed. I’d say it’s best you go with the older model you had, btw. Maybe return it if you’re not feeling it by the end of 30 days.

13. phollins34

phollins34 New Member

Hey @sonnybeals and @lingay21, much like yourselves, I too suffered from this anxiety: will this mattress live up to what we thought it would? Trust me; you’re in good hands. One thing I’m certain about is Tempur-Pedic’s word. I am 45 days into using this mattress, and I can tell you within the first week I felt like crap. I was sleeping horribly, my back was not properly aligned, which caused temporary backaches that disappeared by morning and general crankiness that came with the feeling of blowing up $2k. But don’t worry because I called up customer care and asked them about this and they informed me that the the mattress could take time breaking in and could be a little off the first week or two, but after that, it’ll soften up. And it has. I cannot recall what it was like when I first bought it, but I didn’t pay too much attention to it after I got that reassurance. Today, I am 15 days past the trial period and could not be happier. This mattress is a dream and feels exactly like the way it did at the store (which was nothing what it felt like when I first unboxed it), so don’t worry and just give it some time to breathe and let that break-in, truly BREAK IN ;)

@jeni1220, all due respect, I think you got it wrong. She’s talking about the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme (and not the Supreme, which I will admit does feel like marshmallows).

14. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

Hello, folks. Like I promised, my next update, now nearly a month into using the mattress. What can I say, people are different. All my concerns about this mattress vanished as soon as I read @phollins34 reviews, but the truth is even now I cannot stand my TP Cloud Supreme. It is still horribly firm, and now I am feeling that too, which is bad for my back as well as my stomach. Oh yeah, I am 1-month pregnant, and now that I’ve to take care of three people on our mattress, I find myself going into the guest bedroom in the middle of the night to sleep. Sadly enough that isn’t a queen, so we both can’t sleep on it which is such a shame. Anyway, I feel that the more I sleep on this mattress, the more uncomfortable I get because of its firmness. But I guess there are some options to make your choices better for you and they include:

• Using a soft topper: For the Tempurpedic, we just assumed that a topper would not be necessary, but apparently, it is. I use the memory foam topper for us because we both find it too firm, but I guess there are better options with innersprings if you want the element of bounce.
    • We are considering selling it on Craigslist for half the price we bought it at a real loss, but as long as we get our sleep back, it is okay with us. We are thinking of getting a Sealy Tempurpedic itself, just in a queen size so both my husband and myself can sleep on it.

15. DarkStar

DarkStar New Member

That is such a shame, but sadly enough a common case on this forum. Chin up and don’t worry. Also, before you consider throwing out this model (or selling it on Craigs, which is the same thing) I would suggest you get a soft latex topper because that worked for my sister, she uses the same mattress as you, and she is also pregnant, haha. Also, I am sure on this very forum there are a bunch of threads that talk about different toppers that provide bounce and softness. Don’t give up that easy. I feel like latex might be the right choice for you at this point. All the best.

16. sonnybeals

sonnybeals New Member

@DarkStar, haha yes that is quite an option to consider, but honestly, at this point, we are just tired, and we want to sleep :p Don’t know if I can put that in a better way but it is exactly how we feel. But I will consider using a latex topper before trying to return it, thank you so much for your advice :D