Substitute For Distilled Water

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by mikka254, Oct 22, 2017.

1. mikka254

mikka254 New Member

We are always told to use distilled water in the humidifier. Would it be a problem if I use tap water? I mean are there any health risks in using tap water???

BTW..... I have an ICON™+ Auto with HC150 Humidifier from F&P.

2. SleepingBeauty

SleepingBeauty New Member

Hello @mikka254

By your question, it seems that you have started using CPAP only recently. Using tap water or other water would lead to the development of crud in the tank and would require more cleaning. Distilled water ensures that crud is not formed in the water reservoir. Moreover, it is cheap, and nothing grows in the water. Once in a while, you can use bottled or tap water, but make sure the water reservoir is cleaned thoroughly.

3. mikka254

mikka254 New Member

Well, I have been using the machine for more than seven months now, but I asked this question as my distilled water gallon ran out and the store near my house was also out of distilled water.

4. zack

zack New Member

You can alternatively boil tap water, cool it down and use it in the water chamber. I buy my gallon of distilled water from Walmart (I get a 6-gallon case for around 100 bucks). I live in the countryside so do not regularly drive to the city......

5. ramon80

ramon80 New Member

For all users of city tap water, a majority of the US municipalities use chlorine and fluoride (dangerous chemicals). So do not use tap water in water chamber since you might breathe in these toxic fumes.

6. magnificent

magnificent New Member

By that logic, one should not use well water also, since it can grow bacteria also.

7. stephan59

stephan59 New Member

I live in the countryside, and my house has its well which gives sweet-tasting water. But I still use distilled water in the humidifier. And I clean it once weekly using a vinegar solution. So I suggest you go for DISTILLED WATER only.

8. Robknowsbest

Robknowsbest New Member

Though I use distilled water only for my humidifier, I am worried about the quality of the distilled water. I say this because people prefer only purified drinking water, but of late, people are realizing that some minerals are useful, so suppliers have started putting back minerals into the water to cater to that market.

I saw it only once on a distilled water bottle, but I'm worried that the good old distilled water would soon become history.

9. stiflex

stiflex New Member

I simply did not understand what you meant. First things first, distilled water is used for irons, humidifiers and batteries and purified drinking water is used for drinking purposes…so I guess you have misunderstood the term “distilled water.” The chance of suppliers adding minerals to distilled water is a bit far-fetched.

10. ToothFairy

ToothFairy New Member

Even I'm not sure about the logic is given by you. The simple reasoning is “Distilled water does not have minerals. If minerals are included, it is not distilled water.” And distilled water is not used for drinking, unless and until you are in the high sea and have run out of regular drinking water.

11. Flame

Flame Member

Boiling water and cooling it for using in CPAP humidifier is not an alternate for distilled water. The reason is while boiling water would kill harmful bacteria, it also results in increasing the carbonate concentration. Distilled water is specified by CPAP manufacturers just to ensure that there is no buildup of crud in the water chamber.

If you use any other water than distilled water in the humidifier, be sure to throw away any leftover water after use and once in a week, soak the water chamber in vinegar and rinse it thoroughly using clean water.

12. mikka254

mikka254 New Member

Thanks for the various suggestions. Would surely use distilled water only in my humidifier.