sleepaider.com is supported by readers. When you buy with our links, we may earn a commission.Learn more

Stuffy nose and extreme dry mouth at night treatment?

K

Kara

Hello everyone on the forum!

Over the past ten years or so, I have been using various machines and now I use a VPAP Auto25. My mask is an F&P Simplus. My chin strap is not adjustable. The hose has a cover for warming. With a 20+ inhale pressure, I have this problem of a dry mouth in my sleep and also my nose keeps getting stuffy. The temperature in the humidifier is set at half.

How can I stop my mouth from drying up in the night?

Any useful inputs will be appreciated.

M

Mooo

I have faced the same problem earlier. I started using Ayr, a generous amount in each nostril before putting on the mask. Ayr is a gel, it helps when you suffer from dryness caused by the CPAP. It is available off the shelf at your drug store.

BTW, see if your CPAP is getting warm as it should.

Hope that helps.

derek

derek

Have you called your DME to find out what could be missing? Your chin strap may need fitting correctly or needs replaced.

If your DME does not have a chin strap that you find good enough, look for more options online. You can buy one online and try it.

outfox

outfox

Lots of people have faced dry mouth with their xPAPs, that should be a comforting piece of info to us all.

A dry mouth is also possible when the xPAP pressure is too high. Ask you doctor about it.

bridget

bridget

Keeping a bottle of water handy at night helps. I'd say, dry mouth is part of apnea, just go with it.

B

blake

I have tried xylo melts and its seems to help. You can get more details here. Or Biotine, which is particularly good for dry mouth problems. You can try their oral balance moisturizer, Biotine gel, or their mouth wash. Biotine works for a couple hours I think. For all night use, xyli melts could be what you need. You can buy them off Amazon too.

I

iven

Some types of medication may also give you a dry mouth. Check with your physicians if your dry mouth is due to any of the medications you are on.

HTH.

silentSleeper

silentSleeper

You get a dry mouth when air leaks from your mask or if you have your mouth open when you sleep. It may be more common among those who use nasal masks or nasal pillows.

You can ask your doctor for the right medication to prevent dry mouth caused by using CPAP. Your doctor may also advise you how to alter the position of the tongue to avoid dry mouth.

A chin strap, a tape, poligrips or a bandage could be helpful to prevent dry mouth. Ask your doctor about what may be the right one for you. Do not self prescribe these solutions.

A full face mask, probably along with a humidifier on your CPAP may be one of the most suitable solutions in your case.