Stop Breathing While Awake

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by tammy, Oct 24, 2017.

1. tammy

tammy New Member

I am unsure if my problem deserves the attention of a doctor or it is a figment of my imagination. My breathing STOPS, mainly when I'm awake. While awake, I suddenly find myself breathing shallowly and very slowly, gasp for air and then resume breathing again. It feels as if I simply FORGOT to breathe. Is it a regular phenomenon among OSA patients? Does anybody have this symptom and should I mention it to my doctor? This has been going on for past three months, and there was no precipitating event.

BTW…I do not have other consequences because of this nor do I get lightheaded due to this.

2. LadyLuck7

LadyLuck7 New Member

Stopping to breathe for a few seconds is quite typical in every living thing. But gasping for air isn’t common. The most important question to ask yourself is how long does this occur and how much time do you require to get breathing back to normal. And if I were in your place, I would go ahead and inform the doctor. What we consider inconsequential might have some unknown reasons which only an MD can decipher.

3. chunkslayer

chunkslayer New Member

I think you might be having a central apnea. I too had these episodes and told my sleep MD about it, and he took one look at my readings and said, “Yup, you have a central.”

The pattern of breathing which you are suggesting seems to be Cheyne-Stokes, though it’s odd for someone to witness this while being awake. I would rather tell your doctor than sit over it in case a checkup for other problems is required.

You can go over this link for further information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyne–Stokes_respiration

4. tammy

tammy New Member

Thanks for the feedback. So it’s not my imagination. I would get in touch with my sleep MD regarding this.

5. blake

blake New Member

Even I have these type of symptoms, and I told my doctor about it, and one good look and he says, “Just relax and do not get panicky. These symptoms are triggered by you getting anxious.” He gave some relaxation tips and these episodes have vanished. Though it turned out to be inconsequential for me, I would suggest you inform your doctor about it.

6. Cristina

Cristina New Member

Even I had the same episodes, and when inquired, my husband also has it, though he does not have Sleep Apnea. I checked with my doctor, and he said it’s common. I realized it because I was keenly observing it, while others would not be too concerned about it. But I never needed to GASP for air, and if the gasping is too frequent, then I’d suggest getting it checked ASAP.

7. OralSpinner

OralSpinner New Member

Interesting posts. Almost all seem to have this problem. Even I have started noticing these episodes recently (BTW...I have a mixed sleep apnea). Since I was suffering from severe nasal congestion, I had stopped using the CPAP and maybe due to this; I started noticing that my breathing is not as smooth as it should have been. I started becoming short of breath more often than not, would gasp for air, and this is happening even when I am very relaxed…so panic attacks go out of the window. I think I should inform my doc about it.

8. Cloud-Yo

Cloud-Yo New Member

Yes please, do it. I am not sure whether these symptoms can be related to sleep apnea or using the CPAP machine, sure there would be other reasons.

9. tammy

tammy New Member

Contacted my sleep doc who said it has got nothing to do with sleep apnea and asked me to get an appointment with my primary doc. It seems, from what I’ve read in these posts, I might require a 2nd opinion.

10. edwin

edwin New Member

I think that would be a good idea and if you are getting these while staying awake, seeing your primary care doc or a pulmonologist would be most prudent.