Somnetics Transcend Travel CPAP machine discussion

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by eva910, Apr 19, 2017.

1. eva910

eva910 New Member

I have moderate OSA and used Fisher & Paykel Icon and their ThermoSmart 640 for 4 years in all. Now I am trying Somnetics Transcend CPAP, which seems good, with Respironics ComfortGel Blue nasal CPAP mask with headgear, which I soon became comfortable with.

As it stands today,
    HME (waterless): Excellent
    Pressure & Accomodation: Very Good
    Size & Weight: Super

I notice the machine, though a CPAP, starts off in a hunting or pulsing mode. It steadies by the evening, when it syncs with my breathing. I am trying to understand how this can happen.

If anyone here is using the kind of CPAP and observed something similar, please let me know.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. FRAnKlIN

FRAnKlIN New Member

I am from down under and not yet into the Transcend. I would like to take it with me on camping and all, if it is portable, and I don't want to carry too many batteries with me.

Does it work on battery? What type? How long does a charge go?

What is your exhaling like against the machine's pressure? Does it or does it not adjust as you exhale?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

3. eva910

eva910 New Member

I am not sure about that because I never tried using it on battery.

4. eva910

eva910 New Member

My earlier F&P always made me feel like it was a bit of a fight. The Transcend + HME + mask comes with a pressure sensor tube running inside the hose right up to the mask. I don't think there is anything about this in the product documentation, though. You see, it knows when you start it without wearing the mask on your face. Then it turns off.

When I start the machine, it looks to me like it operates in pulsing mode, maybe trying to set the pressure. That's when I press its Ramp button. I wake up with the machine going steady. In between it never made me feel I was fighting it.

Before switching to this machine, I have tried it for a couple days at my DME's. Then I got my new machine and I am luvin' it. Now it's for keeps.

5. brightwit

brightwit New Member

@FRAnKlIN
    On my machine, the first time I ran it on battery I found that the battery ran for some seven hours. The next night it went on for an extra hour.

I set the Transcend a couple inches less than my normal pressure. That matches the pressure reduction in my Resmed when exhaling.

@eva910
    Yes, the Transcend shuts off if you take off your mask. It only hunts for a few secs at start up.

6. FRAnKlIN

FRAnKlIN New Member

I am hoping that it will consume less power from the batteries compared to the Resmed.

7. FRAnKlIN

FRAnKlIN New Member

I hope this info will of help to all those want to use the Transcend on traveling.

I have been using the Transcend with F&P Pilario mask for two months now. After using it at home for some time, I flew to Asia with my Transcend.

I took the P8 batteries along, expecting unreliable power supply there. I am also planning to get myself the mobile adaptor that works off the cigarette lighter outlet in the RV.

The bridge of my nose would become sore when I was using the earlier Flexfit. Now that's no longer a problem after I switched to the Pilario. Now I can easily lie on my side even without any problems.

I am keeping the Transcend in one of the lower shelves of a bedside cabinet by the side of my bed. There's a piece of non-slip neoprene wetsuit material under the CPAP. That way, there's no need for a base station. You can have it a bit higher even by putting it on a small stack of books.

Sometimes it lies on the bed between the two of us. Like when we are staying at another place.

At 12cm H20 pressure, it is not at all noisy. Both of us are okay with that. It's noisy only if the mask leaks a lot.

The Resmed tube with TubeWrap that I used earlier was quieter compared with the Transcend tube.

Exhaling is not a problem for me.

For my case, there is no need for humidification so I can't say anything about the waterless moisture system. I would think the idea is to use the moisture in your breath.

Regarding battery P8, it is very expensive here. It's pretty light, but the one I have goes for less than 12 hours. I am going ask them to exchange it, it's supposed to run for 16 hours. With the battery, your CPAP never has to stop. It automatically switches to battery when the power fails, so you don't have to wake up and change anything.

We do backpacking and we travel light. For us the battery was really a lot of help. I will be taking my machine on batteries along soon on camping, kayaking, bush walking trips and all.

8. kerplunk

kerplunk New Member

I use my Transcend inside a semi truck that is fitted with a sleeper berth. The air in this place is bone dry. That makes it necessary for me to use humidification.

I have used the CPAP with HME (Heat Moisture Exchange, i.e., waterless humidification) as well as without.

It helps to have the HME filter preloaded with some clean water.

Battery discharge will vary according your pressure. Its literature says you have to use the bigger 16 hour battery just for 8 hour sleep. At first I was using the 8 hour battery but then I had to change over to the 16 hour battery.