Sleep Science 9 Natural Latex Mattress

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by lerxst, Feb 7, 2018.

1. lerxst

lerxst New Member

Hey all! I know that these platforms are absolute blessings in disguise because honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without them. I am on three mattress forums, and I’ve never gotten such detailed, specific replies to queries till now or seen any detailed answers to other posts.

Before I begin, a shout out to the team running the show, you’re doing a great job in maintaining the waters at a lukewarm temperature, although I must say I do enjoy the occasional bash! It’s nice that there are so many people, who are willing to share their experiences down to the finest of details, and ever since I joined this forum I can say with confidence that I know a lot more about mattresses than I’d ever hoped to!

Going green is the flavor of the season, and I am also following it with my focus shifting to latex mattresses as a replacement for my old mattress. I’ve been doing my fair share of research on the topic as well, but we do have a restriction, in that we are buying our mattress from Costco.

We are loyal Costco customers, having always bought our mattresses from there, and cannot get over how convenient the purchase is, as well as the hassle-free, zero-risk return policy that they adopt, which honestly I don’t think any other place could replicate. We have promised ourselves that we would only buy a new mattress from Costco if we are going on with this purchasing decision.

We had saved up a bit for our next mattress and found out about the Sleep Science, and how great their latex mattresses were. Plus, we have relatives who use latex mattresses (they’re convinced us to try a latex mattress) and they say that it doesn’t get any better than Sleep Science, so we decided to give it a go.

My spouse and I hurried ourselves to nearest Costco only to find out that these mattresses were all sold out. Though dismayed, we were convinced we would wait it out and not go with another brand of latex mattresses and started widening our horizon of knowledge on the subject and both of us joined forums as well as read up a bunch on Sleep Science.

We were convinced this was truly the mattress for us and asked Costco to call us as soon as it was back in stock. Much to our delight, it didn’t take long before we received that phone call, and we rushed instantly to the store, but confusion followed us yet again.

There, we found two Sleep Science brands: A 9” natural latex mattress that we had in mind and had prepped ourselves to buy in the first place and a new model, Carina 11” Gel Memory foam and latex mattress.

We had plans of making our purchase as soon as the 9” was back in stock, but this sort of stunned us because now we don’t know if we should get the new one because it sounds more like an enhanced version of the latex mattress.

Also, the 9” version only existed in the twin version, and they said if we wanted a queen, we’d have to wait. Meanwhile, the new model offers a queen size, but we are in a kind of dilemma and are stuck now. We don’t know if we should go with it, considering it looks newer and we hadn’t done any research on the same. Any guidance in this regard would be helpful.

2. Shelli P.

Shelli P. New Member

Hello and welcome to this wonderful forum. Well, the choices that you highlighted are the best. I can vouch for it since I have latex mattress for so many years. Is there any particular reason why you prefer the 9” latex and not the Carina?

3. lerxst

lerxst New Member

@Shelli P., thank you for the reply. Well, the only reason why we wanted 9” was because we had spent few nights on it at our relative's house and we fell in love with it. But as a true mattress seeker, I did some more research on both the mattress, and this is what I found - the 9” version has layers of good old latex while the newer version has gel foam, memory foam, polyfoam, and latex. My family is veering toward the 9” natural latex, considering that we want an all latex mattress and will have to wait it out until the queen size is back in stock. The reason why our confusion arose was that the salesperson was raving about this Carina 11" model, even though it is not all latex. Isn’t that probably just to make a sale? Or is it possible that this model is better? The whole process seemed sketchy, which is why we left as soon as we could. If anyone has used this version, which has that additional layer of polyfoam, please let me know your reviews about this model. Something about it was captivating, but I didn’t have the heart to try it out, considering my usual experience is going for an impulse buy. If anyone could point out any major differences between the two, it would be a big help!

Thanks once again for all the help.

4. Pandora

Pandora New Member

Hello, @lerxst.

It is good that you didn’t make that impulse purchase. I am well aware of the risks that may be associated with buying the wrong kind of mattress. Most companies provide misleading information with the hope that they might render an additional sale, but they do not understand how hazardous that can be for a family. The Carina 11” latex mattress that you found in Costco is not ALL NATURAL latex; I don’t even understand how they possibly justify calling it a natural mattress when they have a good layer of polyfoam in it.

Now, I know that polyfoam in the support layer is all well and good, and much better than having it in the comfort layer. But honestly, there’s no guarantee of that, and I say you wait for the first mattress itself. Plus, you never know how much of the mattress that uses latex is in reality, actually “natural.” Most companies claim this 100% of being natural when in reality it’s mostly blends of natural and synthetic latex.

Plus, if you’re getting this mattress for below $3k, you can almost know for certain that the mattress makes use of these blends and is not all natural. I understand that some folks are turning green, but if you are, you might as well do it the right way, and not half-ass it. If you’re dedicated to making the world a better place go for a 100% natural mattress.

Keep in mind though, that a 100% latex mattress is very expensive, which is why most customers think, screw nature, let’s save some money and buy a fancy pair of boots. And then they complain about global warming. It’s a funny world we live in. I just got a latex mattress for my kid, not because I am rich but because I’m committed to a certain belief and will do anything to make sure I am not going to be in this halfway.

But anyway, that’s your personal choice, all I can say is that polyfoam is a definite no-no. It is actually a very toxic material that is used in mattresses, not friendly to the environment and is essentially plastic, making it non-biodegradable. I’d say you go for something that is non-toxic and goes for the 100% latex. You won’t regret it, considering the material is of super high quality and can last you at least ten good years.

I’ve been using mine ever since I became a vegan (15.5 years ago) and it’s still as beautiful as ever. Also, polyfoam is extremely flammable, so they do make use of flame retardants within the mattress. What’s worse is that these materials are also toxic, which can be associated with hyperactivity or even neurobehavioral alterations. Please be careful while making this decision.

5. Kris

Kris New Member

I too would appreciate any insight that can be given on this very mattress. @Pandora have you personally owned the 9” Natural latex mattress, because if you haven’t I don’t think you have a say in this. I am getting this from many forums nowadays, that people are expressing hatred towards certain lines/brands/companies for reasons that can only be understood by them. I am not saying that anything you just said was out of line, but there’s no point dissing the mattress unless you’ve actually tried it. Plus I’ve heard that a layer of polyfoam in the support layers can really be effective in your bed, as well as last you a good amount (as opposed to it being in the comfort layers). Also, I want a similar mattress with the same price range (less if possible).

6. lerxst

lerxst New Member

Thanks, @Pandora, but like @Kris said, I was looking for some specific details as well as personal experiences from someone who owned the 9” Natural latex mattress from Sleep Science at Costco. I hear what you’re saying, and that’s all well and good, but honestly, I am just not in a position to blow out $5k on a mattress when rent is killing me as it is. I think this little effort I’m putting into making this world greener is still appreciated, no matter how small. You’ll pardon me if I stick with either of these two options, yes? Also PLEASE, anyone else who has used this mattress, or considered using it and then went a different way, please give your insights on why you chose it, or why you left it? We want to wrap this deal by the middle of March. Also, the Costco people called, saying that my original preferred model would come in this week, in the right size. Also, is it kind of weird that nobody on this forum has had the opportunity to try that new mattress out? I certainly feel so, considering that the most bizarre models are used by them and this, being a considerably good brand is left untouched.

7. Quellious

Quellious New Member

Hey @lerxst, I can relate to what you’re expressing, the desperation I mean. Only five days ago, I was in the same position, desperately wanting to land on an optimal decision. You’ll be proud to know that I finally made the purchase, of the 9” natural latex mattress of Sleep Science. It was after weeks of researching and a ton of head scratching that I landed on this decision, but even after lying on a bunch of mattresses from local joints, I wasn’t able to make my mind. It is so nerve-racking, this whole process of buying new mattresses and honestly people should be employed to buy mattresses for customers, and we’d just pay them. Anyway, I went with this purchase because I needed a new mattress and it’s just like you said, there is this instilled faith in Costco that we have, plus the amazing refund policy makes it a definite GO-GO. So that’s exactly what I did because let’s face it, spending over $3k for a king size was just not my thing. I did, however, get the chance to have an (emailed) conversation with the Sleep Science (customer care, I am assuming). Since latex mattresses are the new IT mattresses, there’s no guarantee that what they are using is 100% natural, just like @Pandora said. Also, I am fairly certain that the latex mattresses that were manufactured, say five years ago were a lot cheaper than these. Anyway, I did get some information about the specifications of the 9” natural latex mattress and decided I’d share it over here.
    • The Natural Latex mattress is designed with two latex layers: a 3" Talalay latex comfort layer with 19 ILD and a 6" Talalay latex support core of 32 ILD. The cover is a blend of spandex, polyester, and organic cotton.
    Does anyone know how to decipher that to English? I am getting cold feet with my decision and just really hope it isn’t a true loss. Anyway even if it is, I can always return it, but for some reason, this decision is disturbing me. Anyone who knows whether it’s a good quality or bad quality mattress, please share your thoughts.

8. Doodles

Doodles New Member

Hi-five @Quellious, we are taking a stroll in your shoes. Also, I don’t know if you ordered this online, but we are looking at the model #758352 without the frame. Still mulling though, haven’t reached a decision. How was the mattress for you, experience wise? Let us know your thoughts? :D

9. Quellious

Quellious New Member

Hi @Doodles, that is quite interesting of a pick. Honestly, we did not ever encounter that, considering we did check out the official website and many other purchasing platforms, but it looks like a good choice. Honestly, we too have only just ordered it a few days ago and still waiting for it to arrive. That’s when the real nightmare begins, am I right ;). Don’t worry though; I will be making a full-fledged, detailed report on the same and posting it as soon as I get a chance to rest myself on it. It is supposed to come within the next 2-3 days, so if you could wait until then, that’d be great (it’s coming all the way from California, so). Unfortunately, the white glove service was not available to deliver this product to us, and they had to ship it via FedEx. From its tracking details, we were able to find out that it is quite heavy indeed (about 127 lbs) and since it’s FedEx all we can expect is them to put it right outside our doorstep. We were hoping we would get some help regarding setting it up and everything, but I guess that was a long shot *SIGH*.

10. Loveme

Loveme New Member

Hello @Doodles, I don’t know about @Quellious's experience with this mattress, but I also got the same mattress and decided it was fine, considering the awesome return policy. The first night, I couldn’t sleep, like at all. It was so hard on my back that when I finally went to sleep, I woke up wincing in pain an hour in. Then I finally gave up and slept in the guest room. Surprisingly enough, my husband thought it felt nice, because he can sleep legit anywhere, but perhaps I felt it sleep rather rough because we had a super plush Saatva mattress before this (the one in our guest room) and I needed something with that comfort. Anyway, we kept it for another two weeks, before finally returning it because it was too hard on my back, and only being 28 I had no intentions of developing any signs of chronic back pain. But I reckon this is purely subjective, and it does depend a great deal on how you’ve slept, your previous experiences, your previous mattress, sleeping position, weight, body type, shape, etc. Don’t depend much on other’s experiences, but go for it yourself. Big deal, you can have it returned at any point, considering Costco is super convenient anyway. We have plans now of trying memory foam instead from Sleep Science. Will see how that goes.

11. Quellious

Quellious New Member

I am sorry @Doodles for not replying sooner. The truth is, after the mattress arrived, everything at work got a lot more intense (as well as home) especially since I started getting NO SLEEP from this new mattress. It is like sleeping on a wall of bricks, super hard with zero comforts (to me at least). From what @Loveme experienced, I can say it has much to do with horrible experiences for light sleepers. Anyway, we too are waiting it out for a week before we return it and dive right back into the process of buying a new mattress, but I think almost about any new mattress would be better than this one. Even with a 14 ILD of Talalay topper (which is considered much softer than Dunlop) which I’ve added from my side, it’s still way too firm for me, and causing back stiffness and discomfort in general. It was convenient about how easily it expanded in less than half an hour as well as the quality was amazing, with zero smells of chemicals. But man, way too firm. I must say that my husband who is about 180 lbs also did not like the feel of it and said it was too firm. How fast does Costco refund you post returning the mattress? Just curious. I hate this process of starting all over again. We did just try out some other latex mattresses, and the Latex bliss natural was quite nice. But the one they sell at Costco did NOT feel the same way and was way too firm. I am not sure how these mattresses can even be slept on so smoothly by some customers, but surely I am not one among them. For now, we might just go for a plusher innerspring model; it’s the only one that will suit both our needs.

12. lerxst

lerxst New Member

Hmmm...I'm back to square one. Anyway, would go ahead and get the 9" mattress. Let's see how it goes. Thank you for the feedback @Quellious.