Sleep EZ mattress review

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Renegade, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Hello, peeps! I need some information and don’t know if it’s been discussed before. I’ve searched a few threads but found no information regarding the same. You see, I have my eye on the Sleep EZ – Lifetime Dream Natural Latex mattress. Read up on its specs and find that it would an ideal match for me.

I also like the Roma model. I think either of these would suit my needs just right. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has owned this mattress (either of the models), and if so, how has it held up with time? Just to make sure about the durability. That said, it’s a real honor to be a part of this forum :D. So well maintained, good work guys.

2. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

First off, thank you for your kind words, but as I tell everyone, its success has a lot to do with you members who choose to post reviews/queries/reply posts, so kudos to you! In my experience thus far on this forum, there haven’t been too many reviews about the Sleep EZ reviews, post-purchase. Even if so, not about how it held up in the long run.

Either way, more than anything else, I hope you’ve personally tested out your mattress, sometimes people forget just how important that factor is. Checking out their specifications is not remotely enough. Although, I must add that there are many other reviews on the internet about this model that many people have been using for years, many good reviews too. Just make sure that you take them as just that: reviews. They are opinions of other people, your experience may not be the same.

From what I know, most of them are thrilled with their latex mattress. Since you are asking regarding the durability of the mattress, it is important to find out the materials that are used for the construction of the mattress, and whether or not they are of high-quality. A mattress is only as good as the materials used to construct it. Note that buying from a well-known brand is not the important factor, rather ensuring the materials used are legit.

3. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

You should probably check out the Sleep EZ official website; there is a column for customer reviews where they don’t hold back and share honest feedback. That said, there’s no guarantee that they will present all the feedback, there’s an argument that most websites choose to hide the negative comments, so if you see only positive reviews, you’ll know it’s a hoax, and mostly they’re trying to hide something.

About Sleep EZ, much like other family-owned mattress manufacturers, in terms of reputation, it’s hard to beat them.

4. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Thank you guys, it was helpful, although I hope I don’t disappoint y’all when I say this, I already made my purchase. I went with the Roma Model, went to the official website and saw better reviews for it and figured it was an upgrade? It looks nice, and once it’s all set up, I will post my reviews.

One thing I do need to ask you guys is this: so I happened to get a cute wool pad (St. Dormier’s) from FloBeds, it’s fancy, and FloBed’s prices are undisputable. I was wondering what order would render the most effective for this? Perhaps, just the normal style of mattress, then wool pad and sheets atop of that? That sounds alright? Also, do you think we need some further protection, like say a mattress protector?

5. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

I don’t think you need so much more than just the mattress, because it loses the feel of the mattress, something many customers complain about after purchasing their mattress, but topping it with additional accessories to keep it safe. The Dormier is nice, no doubt but it’s a mattress protector in itself, I hope you knew that. It is, however, made from wool, and by nature made to be water resistant. The best part of it is that it promotes airflow on a high level, very much flexible. So truth be told, that’s all the protection you need. Don’t go with anything further; it’ll ruin the effect of the mattress. I agree with you that FloBeds have amazing prices, and Dormier is a good choice to have gone with.

BTW, congratulations on your new mattress purchase, as well as the wool mattress protector.

6. AdolfCritler

AdolfCritler New Member

Alright, so am I the only one with something to say about my experience with Sleep EZ? That’s kinda hilarious. Either way, congratulations on your new mattress @Renegade. I owned the Sleep EZ. In fact, I did not particularly enjoy the experience altogether, and I’ll explain why. In fact, in the 3.5 years that I owned it, most of the time I spent trying to find ways to fix it, make it better, being the engineer that I am. Which is one of the main reasons why I decided on getting this mattress in the first place, I mean how cool is a customizable bed, where we can switch up the layers to obtain just the right amount of comfort? This appealed to my creative side: get a bunch of layers, arrange them in a way that seems suitable to you. Does it get any better than that? As it appears, for many people this was the right choice. Not so much for me, however.

Don’t know if you’ve tried out the mattress personally, but GOD I hope you have. For me, the major issue was the latex. Sure, I’ve slept on it in the past, but MAN is it firm. I’ll get to that in a bit, but before that let me just add that if anyone is getting latex with the thought that they’ve used it in the past, think again. I’ve used latex in my college years, now being 30 years ahead of that time, I find my body taking a lot of effort to adjust to it. Not the same feeling anymore.

Secondly, I don’t think Sleep EZ uses the standard firmness scale that other companies do (not even sure if this exists) but I’m just saying, their firmness sort of resembles IKEA. It’s way too firm. When I told them I was well above 200 pounds, they directed me to the firm feel mattress, that too Dunlop.

Anyone who has used latex knows that is the “firmer” latex, over Talalay, of course. Their ILD scale is pretty weird. In fact, their soft uses an ILD of 23, whereas their firm is an ILD of 39 (which they suggested to me). Their extra firm being a 44 ILD! Pretty insane. This, compared to, let’s say, FloBed’s ILD scale, where a soft uses an ILD of 19, firm, an ILD of 32 and super firm, 44 ILD.

So you can see that what FloBed would consider a super firm is what Sleep EZ considers extra firm. Big difference, trust me. Most of my time sleeping on it, I was looking for toppers to go with it.

7. Timmy

Timmy New Member

OMG @AdolfCritler, you could not have put that in a better way. I had the same problem and consider this; I am just a little over 100 lb. Sure, they asked me to take the medium firm, but I like a little firmness in my mattress as it is. They did give me Talalay, so that’s there, but considering my weight, it did not help my case. I didn’t return it, however, figured I’d get used to it and decided to get a suitable topper. But then there are all these questions, how soft? How thick? If adding a layer of memory foam on top of latex will take away its feel? There is a particular level of comfort that every person craves for and let’s face it until you find it, there’s no giving up.

I kid you not, I’ve used six toppers until now, and haven’t found the right feel. Honestly, this was my biggest issue with the mattress is it lacked the feeling of comfort, even though the support system was just right for my back. I do remember an issue my best friend had with the customizable mattress though (she bought it around the same time that I did), and well, she figured WOW this mattress is firm, so then she thought, hey, I can customize it, right? Why not just swap it in for some softer layers? She ended up getting a support system that was mushy and did not support her back AT ALL when all she had to do was change up the comfort layers.

This customization can be a blessing or a boon; you need to be experienced in the field to make decisions as important as that. Oh, and she is much heavier than me, and swapped in for the Talalay, which did not help her situation of mushy support layers, at all.

8. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I think one of the main issues I’ve noticed with customers is them adapting to using kit mattresses. It’s a good choice for many, but you need to be entirely aware of the facts, or at least seek out for help, rather than have the I-AM-INDEPENDENT mindset. So many people just want to do it themselves and end up hurting their case. Sure, kit beds have become the new thing, what with us having the power to make our customizations, but seldom can we reproduce the exact feel that we felt in the store.

Let’s say that the store had a comfort layer of 2 inches of latex. You’re thinking, yep, I can do that with my mattress, I have a 3-inch latex layer that can be used for the comfort layer (standard thickness for kit comfort layers), but little do they realize the difference in feel that 1 inch can lead to. Further, the store may have used Talalay; you may have Dunlop. What if you mix them up in the layers? Also, how much amount of it in the store is blended, how much of yours is blended/pure?

Like my friend @AdolfCritler said, what about the ILDs, since there is no standard scale to measure them, except, of course, personal testing? What about the zoning process, does it exist? What about additional factors such as the quilting on the cover? I tell you, most people do not even consider any of these questions, and decide on customizing their new mattress. Frustration sets in when they don’t get the same results they were hoping for and blame the company.

Am I saying kit beds are a no-no? Heck no! They are still a great idea for a huge chunk of the population, all I’m saying is that if you are a sensitive sleeper, there are some factors you NEED to consider before making your purchase since it’s not like buying a regular mattress. You have so many options, and you need to make sure you’re making a choice you’re ideally in search of. Also, do your research before going, know what goes in comfort/support layers, the ideal ILDs, of course, some professionals will help you out, but just tell them exactly what you want.

9. Timmy

Timmy New Member

Exactly. I second everything @Mattresso just said. What are we saying is that Sleep EZ is not a bad company. They are, in fact, accommodating and hardworking in helping you find out what exactly you are looking for in your dream bed, and even let you do some extra couple of swaps if you need to. The only thing to look out for is that if you like plushness, look elsewhere. It’s a tad bit firmer than most if anything. Plus, once you make the purchase, you’re doomed, so it’s so important for you to do your research before making any purchase. I hope I’ve made the point I wished to put across.

Another insight I’d like to give you as an experienced buyer would be, if you are a sensitive sleeper and find a nice mattress that has the right amount of comfort with perfect support, just buy it. Often people suggest you stay away from impulse buys, but the truth is that I regret passing by perfectly suitable mattresses for me, just because I needed some more samples to use as a reference, later on, forgetting what I wanted in the first place. It saves not only time and money, but frustration in the future.

Plus, even though Kit beds are more expensive, considering the long-term profit, you’re saving yourself a lifetime of regret, speaking from experience.

So that’s my story, folks. Sadly enough I am stuck with it for some time now, because I spent all my savings on it, but hey, never give up right? Sure I’ve been through a bunch of different toppers, trying to align it with my mattress, hoping it fits the feel, but I can only keep looking. That, or I can look for some softer customizable layers for the comfort layer or say screw it, let me get rid of this bed and just sleep in my guest room (LOL).

10. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Appreciate your feedback, @AdolfCritler, @Timmy and @Mattresso. It was very nice of you guys to take out the time to list out all the issues that you faced with the mattress. Honestly, I too knew the risk I was putting myself in before investing in a kit bed, but from what I can say, it is so much better and less risky if I may add, than buying a mattress from a known S brand or so.

Honestly, from my experience with them in the recent past, I am just glad I am steering clear from bad quality, which is all I wanted to know about if you read my post in the initiation of this thread. I did consider all these factors before making the purchase, sure it was just a tad bit impulsive, but I did customize it just the way I wanted to. I do, however, hope that you guys find the right layers that suit your needs. I know how important it is to get just the right feel. It took me 1.5 days just to figure out how I should put the layers together to compliment one another, but I’ve finally done it and BOY, DO I LOVE IT :D