Simmons Beautyrest Legend plush review - firmer than expected

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by mooray, Feb 5, 2018.

1. mooray

mooray New Member

I am new to the whole forum thing and did not think to look into other reviewing websites or forums before making my purchase of the Simmons Beautyrest Legend mattress. The only reason I even considered it was because of the fantastic feel it had in the retail store and the reasonable price point. As evidenced, I made an impulse purchase from the local store itself and a few days later found out that it wasn’t cut out for me :( and I think its a little firmer than what I thought it would be. Long story short, we tried out this very mattress in five different showrooms before making the purchase! That’s right, just ensuring I wasn’t missing out on any of the PPP elements and found that it was beautiful. Though I had nailed it, alas.

2. thomsom

thomsom New Member

Hmmm…five showrooms. That is some dedication for getting the right mattress. But I am sure; it might not have been the sole criteria for purchasing the mattress.

3. mooray

mooray New Member

You got me there..:yum::yum:. I’m not going to lie, the super reasonable price is what grabbed my attention at first, but I did want to make sure that the feeling was just right, hence the five different showrooms (some of which were not close by, so you see my dedication (haha)). When we went to the first showroom, I lied down on the mattress and found it to be just fine. Not too great, in fact, a little firm for my taste. But this was only upon initially lying on the mattress, and within a few minutes, it subsided. It felt like a normal mattress, and I figured it was a good match for my body. Further, the salesman did a good job of hyping some other factors about it such as proper spinal alignment. But then again, the feel was good, and it fit the bill, so hey, I’m not complaining. We purchased ensuring the mattress was the same in each of the five retail stores, and I guess you can say impulse bought it (because my husband and I were hoping to keep it off for next month, but I couldn’t help myself). We ordered it and had it delivered to our house the following day. To be honest, I was not impressed, AT ALL. It was stained, to begin with, and we called them up instantly, demanding a replacement to which they agreed they would do it the following day. So we decide to sleep on this mattress for the night anyway and see how it feels. I gotta say, I was a little disappointed there as well. Man. I don’t know how it happens, but sometimes you feel something at the store and then when you sleep on it for a night, it’s completely different. I felt that the mattress was firmer than I wanted, but I didn’t wake up to any pain, just not as comfortable as I’d hoped for. But anyway, figured that this damaged good was probably the reason for that and awaited the arrival of my brand new replacement. To my despair, this one was firmer than the showroom one but had equal levels of firmness with respect to Mr. Stainy (yes, we took the liberty of naming it, one night was enough for us to bond ;)).

Anyway, we call them up and explain our situation. They said that they would refund us, but that we should give it some time to breathe and for us to grow into it. So alright, we give it another week and find that we wake up to backaches (not as they were with our older mattress, but still pretty intact). This, we were not ready to get into again, because the very reason we invested in this new mattress was to avoid this problem altogether.

The next morning, we go to a farther showroom and try out the same mattress over there. What do you know, it was the same as the first showroom model we had tried and described our elaborate situation to our salesman. He tells us that this was a complaint he’d been hearing for a few weeks now and wasn’t quite sure about the reason for it to become firm, but did mention that often with a sufficient amount of break-in time, they do often become much better. So, we swallow our pride and come back, and sleep on the same mattress for another week. It was still as firm and cold as it was the first day we slept on it and felt no comfort at all. In fact, I was starting to get the chills from it (something eerie about that). Now, I’m not sure what the issue is, but I do know that this particular Beautyrest Legend mattress firmness level is way more than it was in the showroom. How do you explain that?

4. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hi, @mooray

I have to say that I am not a fan of Simmons myself and do not think that the value of the purchase is good AT ALL, but even so, I think your situation is pretty understandable. It is possible that the “break-in” period can sometimes extend to about 60-90 days, so maybe give it some more time if you do not intend to replace it for another model or better yet, brand? Plus, a newer mattress is always more firm than the mattresses at the store, because God only knows how long they’ve been out there and customers have been using it on a daily basis, lying down on it for at least 15-20 minutes each, taking their sweet time evaluating it. This easily translates to the mattress already having undergone the softening process, making it softer in feel. Further, depending on individual body types, weights, preferences of sleeping positions, etc., the break-in period can vary from about 1-3 months (3 months is the maximum) for a customer to break into their new mattress. So give it some time.

5. mooray

mooray New Member

Thank you @sleepmaniac for your response. I did think that the break-in period was probably just not hitting us right, but I suppose you’re right and that we should give it some more time. I guess we were just sort of anxious that this mattress also would lead to the same issues we had with our previous one. Since two weeks had gone by and we felt NO change whatsoever, we figured that the break-in period was over and that the mattress just felt like that. Plus, the salesman let us in on some chemical treatment these mattresses have to go through apparently so that their break-in periods are made shorter or eliminated? Yikes. Apparently, there is some physical activity wherein the break-in is done manually so that the feeling you get from the showroom mattress will match with what you feel in the mattress you purchase. Maybe this is one of the main reasons we started freaking out, thinking that the break-in is done, and the mattress is still as hard as a rock (lol).

But anyway, thank for your insight, and also, if I may, thank you for this forum! There aren’t too many of these online that are as informative and descriptive as yours. Plus, I love how much time and effort you put into answering all of our questions. Just feel like you need a thumbs up for that! Know that we appreciate your efforts.

Wish I was as passionate about mattresses as you were HAHA, it sure sounds like an interesting career option.

6. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

yes, there is a process that is known as transflexion. It is actually what the salesman so kindly mentioned to you like the break-in period from the company itself. It is a process wherein a mattress is physically pre-crushed; don’t worry, it is not being crushed as an entire entity, but the cell structures of the foam used in these mattresses have tiny windows. Transflexion simply opens them and decreases the amount of firmness that exists within it. While this happens, it may also be responsible for reducing the break-in period of the mattress, but note that it is not possible to eliminate this break-in period (not ever!). Even if for a week or two, that will always be there and don’t worry, you will be able to tell the difference, I promise! That said, there will be a significant difference in the amount of break-in in both the showroom and your purchased models.

Let’s assume for a minute that the showroom model has been there for trial purposes for about a year now. The amount of softening this foam may have undergone only understandable. That will by no means stand a chance against your mattress that has merely gone through transflexion and nothing further to soften the foams. Further, chances are your mattress has the inclusion of memory foam; in which case, other factors such as temperature and humidity also play a significant role in how firm a mattress may become. Of course, there are chances that the two models you received from the store are both defective; but more likely is the chance that the floor models are way softer than the ones shipped to your homes: depends on the break-in periods.

7. amethyst

amethyst New Member

Geez, thank you, @sleepmaniac. I had the same problem as @mooray and was planning to return my mattress. But after reading your post, I think I will give it some more time and see how it goes.