Sheraton sweet sleeper mattress equivalent

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by cabrannon, Feb 10, 2018.

1. cabrannon

cabrannon New Member

I know that usually anyone who starts a thread does have a certain intention, but I don’t understand why people are apologizing for that. I mean isn’t that the entire reason why this forum has been built in the first place? Yes, I am in a pickle right now and need some immediate redemption. Not only is it consuming my time, but mostly my energy to stay focused on other topics, like MY WORK? It’s insane how hard it is to buy a mattress now. I remember how easy it used to be when we were kids, and my dad would hurl us all in the car, and we’d make a purchase the very day we’d go mattress hunting. Now, it seems like a dreadful hunt, wherein a week or two is expected to get invested in just searching for the right mattress, sifting through all the possible brands and hopefully finding one or two that we like, which of course is purely physical. After this, we head back home and do some research online, find out about the company’s background because obviously in today’s world there’s no consideration for one another. Hence the chances of them using bad quality material are skyrocketing.

To cut long story short, my mattress is a hell hole, legit. I cannot get any sleep on it, mostly end up tossing and turning my nights away but what’s worse is that in the past couple of months, I’ve started to develop this soreness throughout my body, which for certain I shall not bear. I’m not sure how this mattress softened this much, considering I like a bit of firmness, but honestly, I know that there’s no way I can keep living with it. The feeling I experience every morning is as though I’ve been run over. I am mostly a side sleeper, but every time I wake up, I’m on my back. Oh, and since I’m on my back, I tend to snore, which makes me awaken with this soreness in my throat as well. I gotta tell you, sleep is just not siding with me anymore, and I am so tired of it (literally). A week ago, I was out of town with work, and I stayed at a Sheraton, where I had, hands down, the best sleep of my life. I slept there for four nights and each night was a better experience than the previous, and I knew that this was the mattress I needed to get. The worst part is I realized how badly I needed it when I got back home and slept on my current mattress. UGH, it’s an absolute piece of crap, and I need to get it replaced.

Anyway, I talked to the hotel manager, and he said that it was a Sealy Sweet Sleeper, and obviously, I called up customer care like a lunatic and demanded to find where I could buy one, to which of course they said I’d have to buy it off Sheraton. But even a loser such as myself is well aware of the markup price hotels would be bound to put, and I decided to keep looking. I was able to find out later on that this mattress is a Posturepedic level E mattress in its plush model, which is probably what I need to find out when I go to the retail store later on today.

This mattress felt like heaven, but from what I’ve read on various platforms is that it will sag and soften faster than I expect it to. This is a problem because I want something that will last me at least 5-10 years. If anyone is aware of a quality mattress that has the same feeling of a Sealy Sweet Sleeper in any other brand (price is not an issue as such, at this point, I’m desperate for a good night’s sleep), please help. I’m sorry for making this post so long and mushy, but I do believe I’ve gotten my point across to you. Thanks for any insight on the same in advance :)

2. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @cabrannon,

For one, let me tell you that not everything that you’ve read is useful. I don’t mean to offend you, but the brand you’ve landed on is something that most customers choose because of their excellent price points as well as the company’s brand recognition, but to put it in simple terms, they suck. You did mention in your post, however, that you were aware of these brands, but evidently, you have been getting the wrong information since you had no issues picking one of the biggest brands amongst them, so I ask you to take a deep breath (and definitely, a break). Try sleeping on a temporary mattress for the time being, or even your sleeping bag if you may, because I wouldn’t suggest that you keep sleeping on a mattress that is ruining more than just your day. By the value of a purchase, you can find out whether the purchase you made is worth it, in simple terms. This is based on some factors, some of which are durability, suitability, and additional value of the mattress, based on terms such as personal value equation terminologies. There are many articles which explain these things in detail. I suggest you read this because once you read it, you will get a clear idea of how to determine whether a certain mattress may or not be the most ideal for you in terms of value purchasing.

You asked the experts to decide for you, and while that job sounds lovely, for us to become buyers for you, that would not work. You see, even if you list out the characteristics you hope to find in your mattress, there’s no way of finding out whether a mattress is ideal to you or not without means of personal experience. There’s a reason why your father would scatter you guys into the car in the first place. Sure, there are just many more options now, and bigger companies with the potential to cheat customers easier, but I am not sure why you are putting so much pressure on yourself; take it easy and enjoy this experience. Take a friend or family mate with you and go try out a few mattresses. First off, I’d ask you to stop sleeping on that mattress immediately, though.

3. Joyce McGregor

Joyce McGregor New Member

I agree with everything that @sleepmaniac has said. About Sealy, we can only say this: Sealy is a good company in terms of being recognized on a global scale, but they do tend to keep the details of their mattresses (specifications, really) private. In other words, the level of transparency they have about the materials they use in the construction process is bad. Hence it doesn’t make it a valuable purchase. This is because no one can vouch for the quality of the materials and therefore, the overall mattress leaving the only person affected by it is you. Since they do not share their details as openly as others, there’s no easy way to compare this mattress with another one, in terms of comfort, durability or any other factor for that matter. But my strong recommendation would be to stay away from any major manufacturer that does not disclose their information as transparently as others, because that just means they have something to hide, possibly low-quality materials for the same price point, leaving you to suffer.

You asked for a similar mattress that has the same “feel” of the Sealy Posturepedic, but again this is purely subjective to what you feel is right. Your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) towards a mattress may be entirely different from mine, hence do not listen to anyone else’s opinion when it comes to the feels of a mattress. I know you’re already short on time and energy, but if you want an ideal mattress for yourself, the only thing you can do is go out there and test them yourself. Many other factors are dependent on this, such as your body type, shape, weight, personal likes, previous mattress, sleeping patterns, etc. I hope we have made ourselves clear as to why it is not possible for anyone but yourself to make that viable comparison.

4. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Hi @cabrannon

Just seconding everything that the two experts have said, and trust me you need no further insight than from this brilliant mind. Testing the mattress yourself is very important since this helps you to figure out which ones you are to avoid. Note that, there’s no hatred towards Sealy Posturepedic, they are making mattresses even now and there are a bunch of customers for them, but it is our moral duty to remind you of the potential threats that might appear after purchasing it. Especially since you mentioned you were in search of a longlasting mattress, we felt it was necessary you steered clear of any low-quality memory foam product that has higher chances of softening and sagging sooner than expected. Now what you felt at the hotel was entirely different. Did you know that most people who buy hotel mattresses (by spending a buttload of money with the markup prices like you mentioned) have only complained? It’s entirely different from what you feel in hotels because that scenario is different. They get the mattresses for much cheaper and can afford to replace them on a yearly basis. You, on the other hand, would want the mattress to last you a good couple of years before the wear and tear kicks in, but you start seeing it appear sooner. Also, hotel mattresses are not used as extensively as your mattresses at home. This common misconception that so many customers have is what leads to their disappointment at the end, and they have no one else to blame but themselves.

Are you set on buying a memory foam mattress because you’ve always been using that? Maybe it’s time for a change (or should I say upgrade) to a latex mattress? This is a greener choice, a little pricier but most durable. I am suggesting this only because you mentioned you wanted a mattress that would last you a decade, and honestly, I am not sure of any memory foam brands (except for the pricey ones like TP) that will last you even half as long. If you’re open to change, I’d suggest you look for some good latex options, because there are plenty, and in Europe, almost everyone has switched to latex. Soon, I hope for the US to follow similar direction onto a greener path. Further, if you want me to suggest some local manufacturers to you, I’d be happy to help. Just let me know your city (or zip code) and I can lead you to some quality manufacturers. Note that more important than the brand value is the experience, knowledge, and level of transparency (all that topped with an excellent price point) that these manufacturers promise to give you.

5. cabrannon

cabrannon New Member

Thank you so much for your valid inputs @sleepmaniac, @Joyce McGregor, and @Mattresso. Honestly, this means a lot to me, and I will keep looking, I promise. Also, I live in Washington DC and would love to meet up with some local manufacturers to get the work done. You’re right, I don’t think my research trial was headed towards the right path, and after reading few articles about the points you mentioned, I feel like I am on a completely different path (of course, the right one). Fact is there is way too much information on the internet that there’s no way of finding out what is authentic and what is not. But in terms of mattresses, I know now that I need to listen to you experts (haha). Anyhow, I will keep reading up on this forum because I reckon all the information is authentic, and whichever is not you take the liberty of correcting (I saw this on two threads already). You’re doing a tremendous job in keeping us all interested as well as updated. That said, if anyone here has any information about some areas within DC that has a set of knowledgeable and not-so-pushy staff, please recommend. Thanks, you guys for all the great work and getting back to me as speedily as you did.

6. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @cabrannon and thank you for all your kind words. I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it, it’s only because of you guys that we are what we are today. That said, let’s get right to business. You’d asked for some recommendations for great local manufacturers in Washington? Well, you’ve come to the right place. I will give you some suggestions right here that I would recommend in my sleep, that’s how much I trust them, but most importantly, I have been recommending customers to them for years now and never have I received a complaint. That’s right my friend; they are just that good. Please note though, that direct mattresses from factories are lesser in Washington (at least ones that I trust), but there are a bunch of options that have great quality/value mattresses than the otherwise mainstream options.

· www.healthyback.com/: A great manufacturer of latex bliss mattresses, which makes use of only high-quality Talalay in their production, hence the quality/value of the mattress is already guaranteed. They are better in terms of quality and value than most other major brands and compared to them, have a great price point. Note, however, though that since they use 100% natural Talalay, the price is naturally pricier than other local manufacturers, the value of the product is assured. They have retail stores in Rockville, Vienna, Fairfax, Virginia, and Bethesda.

· www.mattresstraditions.com/: They have many interesting options of different brands (price varies). In your case, I’d suggest the Winndom (a wholesale manufacturer) or the Classic Sleep, both of which have an excellent value of the purchase. They have a retail store in Falls Church.

· www.abbafutons.com/: I was able to get in touch with the owner and have a detailed conversation about their foams, and he knows what he’s doing. He makes use of memory foam and even polyfoam, but they are of high quality which guarantees good quality mattress. They do not sell latex mattresses, though. They have their mattresses sold in MD Foam, and upholstery shop as well.

· demmmio.wordpress.com/information/: They manufacture foam but also have a local factory direct mattress manufacturer. I had a friendly conversation with the owner once, and honestly thought he was very knowledgeable and passionate. He knows what he’s doing with his foam and has been in the market for close to 50 years now, so there’s no joking around with that. He talks directly to customers sometimes and says it like it is. He uses quality products such as latex, polyfoam, uses high-quality with good densities (true HR foams) and their memory foam is taken from a quality American supplier.

· www.urbanmattress.com/: They have an amazing range of mattresses available, made by Suite Sleep, VI Springs, and Sherwood. They make use of well-educated employees who have a vast knowledge about the topic, and they are very transparent about their details, definitely high-value purchase. Outlets are available in Virginia, Leesburg, and Vienna.

· www.roomandboard.com/: They are a direct retail outlet for Restwell and are known to sell a wide range of mattresses that include materials such as latex, memory foam, polyfoam, innerspring, etc. with fairly good value (good price point and decent quality). Do make sure to ask them about the densities of their polyfoams or memory foam, though, because I was not able to catch that.

Note that these are a few, and there may be many other manufacturers, but these are the one with whom I have directly interacted, so know what they are speaking.

7. cabrannon

cabrannon New Member

Thank you for your reply @sleepmaniac. I called up a few of them. I did do some additional research on latex because I was getting the feeling that many people were pushing me towards that direction, and while I’m not a vegan or a dedicated environmentalist, there’s no harm in turning green of course, so I decided I’d give it a spin. This is nothing personal; just that latex is not cut out for me. I was very uncomfortable on it, and also the price was a little too much over my budget. However, I did decide to give it a fair shot because you took the time and energy to enlist all the major ones and visited two of them, of which my favorite was the Healthy Back in Virginia. I tried out some mattresses, but nothing stood out as much as the Embrace Comfort mattress did. I did try out some latex mattresses as well and honestly even though I was certain I would go with a latex (even if not 100% natural), but as I said, it’s just not for me. The firmness does not suit my likes, and also I’m a very light person, so the pushback from the mattress makes me very uncomfortable.

Now, about the Embrace Comfort, since you do know the store and owner, I won’t bother mentioning all the details he enlisted to me, and I should say that he was very friendly and amiable as well as professionally sound. He answered all my questions with acrobatic ease, and honestly, I was impressed. Also, we ended up talking about my ideal kind of mattress for a good portion of an hour. Love that guy. I do have some concerns though because I still found it to be a little pricier than I’d hoped for. Is there any mattress similar to this one, which is probably a little less costly? He was selling the mattress and base for nearly $1.5k. I guess that’s reasonable, but for the time being, I am not sure I want to spend that much. Also, I did ask him whether buying the mattress alone would decrease the price, and he said it would, but he wouldn’t recommend it. When I insisted on finding out the reason he told me that often it is found that when you do not pair it up with the right base, the overall feel of the mattress can be compromised. Is this true? It sounded like he wanted to get rid of the base and honestly, if it would decrease the price, I would readily buy that mattress, but not if the feel of the mattress vanishes with the lack of the foundation too. Let me know what you think about this and whether you think I should go about with this purchase or not.

Oh, and I did happen to check the price of it online and get in touch with him again, to tell him that there was a difference of close to $300! As I said, my budget is pretty tight, and he knows about this, so when I told him this, he said that ours was free delivery and came with free set up but an online purchase would not have those perks. Let me know what you think about this too.

8. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

@cabrannon, I am happy you took my advice and went to these retailers. I am sure you found that their product was of high quality, indeed.

Well, this is a very subjective question because comparing two mattresses would depend on various factors. Do you know the factors that would be inclusive while comparing any two mattresses? Whichever seems like important factors to you that you consider while purchasing a mattress need to be compared. For instance, for me, I need a certain amount of firmness in my mattress. So if I am comparing a latex mattress to memory foam, definitely the latex has a higher ground (in that case alone). Since I have already explained to you the importance of the value of the purchase, I shall not repeat that here, but keep in mind that the value is another important area that you must cover while comparing two mattresses. For instance, one mattress might be cheap, but use low-quality materials in its construction, while another might be pricey, but makes use of only high-quality materials. The decision is up to you. Do you want to spend less on a mattress that will fail you in less than 2-3 years (or even less, no one can tell for sure) or spend a little more and get a mattress that will last you a good 5-6 years, at the least.

Of course, regarding PPP, you can only compare two mattresses based on what you feel, and this is the most important factor of the value of mattress purchase. I don’t think that the manufacturers of the Embrace Comfort would have any similarities to other mattresses in the field because this is not a widely available mattress. Hence their designs, cover, feel, everything will be unique. Since they are not as popular as other brands, it’s not viable to make a comparable situation between it and another globally recognized mattress. Other than this, of course, the only way you could compare two mattresses is through means of personal testing, which would involve you going there to check out the mattresses personally and finding similarities or dissimilarities. I hope I have made my point sufficiently clear.

Now speaking in terms of the quality of the mattress, they do use good quality products, but more options use a higher density and better durability for their mattresses that come within lower budget ranges.

Also note that there is a factor known as the personal value equation which is most important to you and can only be equated by you, of course.

9. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

You’re right, this does not make a big difference as such, and there’s a possibility that he wanted to make the foundation a sale as well, but also there are some manufacturers that need to include the foundations in the purchase for you to be able to use the warranty later on. Keep in mind though that unless he has specified this, chances of it occurring are slim and most warranties can be utilized with any appropriate foundation. Also, since you’re interested in a memory foam mattress, the foundation does not matter as such but would perform its best with a rigid support system that does not flex which has an even distribution under the mattress. Perhaps this is what he was saying? Or was he asking you to buy the foundation with it? Either way, whatever foundation you use for this mattress, whether it is your older foundation or a platform/adjustable bed, as long as it is not flexing and has a rigid support as well as an evenly distributed surface, then it would be suitable for your purchase and you needn’t worry about it compromising the feel of the mattress. Now, something that is very much capable of changing the feeling of a memory foam mattress is a flexing foundation, such as a box spring or maybe the slat foundation. These have the potential of producing a certain give under the mattress and therefore can ruin the overall feel of the mattress.

Also, if you are okay with purchasing your mattress from online, trustworthy sources, then I’d suggest you do that since it would work out cheaper for you, especially since you are running on a tight budget.

10. cabrannon

cabrannon New Member

@sleepmaniac and @Mattresso, thank you so much for your valid feedback as well as responses. I understand now with more clarity about what you meant when you said that many good quality options are available for the same/better quality as well as lower price points. I did have a chance to check out some more, and before hitting the retailers, I wrote down a bunch of factors that matter most to me and what I certainly need in my ideal mattress. Surely enough I did find some outstanding options that are (if anything) better than what I found at the Healthy Back and even though I am still in love with the Embrace Comfort Bed, there’s no buying around it.

I have narrowed it down to the following two options, your insight on the same would be highly appreciable.
    • Rocky Mountain’s Sundance that is 10 inches in thickness. It also has an optional wood foundation with a CoolMax® smooth cover. The support foam is made of Ultracel and is 5.75 inches thick. The convoluted layer is Ultracel foam again with 1.25 inches, and the top layer is 3 inches of four-pound Softcel memory foam and is super comfortable. A great option, just not too sure about the durability.
    • Brooklyn Bedding (the infamous BB) 10” mattress, model name: the Signature. The top layer is composed of patented 3” Energex™ memory foam, 2” transitional comfort foam. Finally, a foam core made of HD and is 5 inches thick with a density of 2.17 lb.
    Both feel great to me, and I am finding it hard to narrow it down to just one, so if you could please guide me to make an informed decision, that’d be great. Thanks again, guys.

11. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

@cabrannon, narrowing it down further is a choice that is left to you. I say this because both options are great. I, for one, think very highly of each one of these mattresses since they do have very high-quality materials used for their construction purposes. Moreover, since they make use of high-density foams, there is no chance of easier softening/sagging of the mattress because the chance of potential weak link on the top layer is very less, and in terms of durability, both are good. Whatever choice you make, you are guaranteed a great experience topped with amazing longevity. Now of course, the final decision is your choice, and this is the hardest part while choosing a mattress, but the good news is that most of the times when I have to help people narrow it down to a single option, both their options are bad, and I have to explain the whole process of the value of a purchase of a mattress but in your case, I didn’t have to, considering that both the options are quality buys.

Whichever choice you make, you will end up with a great mattress, so the only thing that is left to do is find out which mattress fits all the criteria you’ve included in your equation of value. Also whichever is best in terms of your PPP would obviously be the better fit. Perhaps there’s one that has an element of surprise because from what I know they are not as similar as they may appear to be. Also when you lied down on both these mattresses the first time, I am sure you had different experiences with their feels. Try to narrow it down to whichever one felt best to you. If you still cannot land on a decision I’d suggest you call up customer care of both and have conversations with them to find out which is the better company in terms of amiability, because should an issue arise in the near future with the mattress, it’s best to stick with the company that will stick with you through it all. Regarding other factors, that is the quality of materials as well as the value of the purchase; I have to say that both of them are excellent choices.