Secondwind CPAP and Paypal

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by juggernaut, Oct 24, 2017.

1. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

I have been ripped off.

The story goes like this: I had an F&P HC604 CPAP with integrated heated humidifier and ThermoSmart Automated Heated Tubing with less than 250 hours, which I wanted to sell. I thought secondwind CPAP.com was an excellent choice and sent them all the necessary information and was informed I would be given $280 for the same. Though it was less (they offer the same on their site for more than $350), I was okay with it, since I wanted to give it up and go for a new F&P machine. I informed them I would accept the payment if they agree to pay for the shipping. They sent UPS label, and I packed off my machine to them.

Now, this is where the story gets interesting. I use PayPal and told secondwind CPAP.com to send me the money through PayPal. They sent me the amount, but PayPal deducted its fees and paid the balance. They deducted the expenses since secondwind CPAP.com sent the amount as a purchase amount instead of money owed. Had I known this rip-off, I would have gone for a check.

I am starting this thread to inform people about the rip-off by both secondwind CPAP.com and PayPal. BTW, I called secondwind CPAP.com yesterday afternoon and gave them a piece of my mind. I am not sure after the experience that I have gone through; I would be recommending them to anybody. A lesson well learned.

2. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope New Member

I went over your post, and I am left wondering if you want secondwind CPAP.com to pay the balance amount or issue you an apology. From your post, it seems secondwind CPAP.com played by the book and agreed to all your demands. PayPal is into the business of transferring money, so it would not do it for free unless you list it as a gift, which in this case cannot be done. It surely would have got you buyer protection.

BTW how is your new machine doing, have you bought it and used it. Would surely love a review on that, as I have heard a lot about it.

3. ismael

ismael New Member

Well, I am little confused. You say you are ripped off but say that you agreed to money offered by secondwind CPAP.com and the option of sending payment through PayPal was given by you. So what is there to rant about?

I have sold many items to secondwind CPAP.com, and they have never disappointed me with their service, and I always ask for a check even for a minuscule amount, and they readily send it without any issues.

Though secondwind CPAP.com is a small company, it is doing a yeoman service for the CPAP community, and it is unfair to blame them for a thing which they did not do.

4. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Hello @kaleidoscope and @ismael.

Well, I didn’t get buyer protection from secondwind CPAP.com since I had sold them the machine and not the other way round. Moreover, if they had sent the amount first before they got the CPAP machine, then I would have been okay with PayPal deducting their fees, which again was not the case.

Anyways, today morning I got a call from secondwind CPAP.com who apologized for the problem I faced and assured that they would cover the fees deducted. I am happy with that.

However, I believe they should inform their customers upfront that there are fees which would be deducted when they send money through PayPal.

@kaleidoscope and @ismael, I am not new to PayPal and have used them since they started doing business and PayPal never deducted any fees until this incident.

Well, I am done ranting and happy that secondwind CPAP.com would cover the fees and precisely for this reason, I take back my words about secondwind CPAP.com.

5. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope New Member

Well, I am happy that you are now frustration free:grinning:

6. desiree

desiree New Member

From the limited amount of business that I have done with secondwind CPAP.com, I can vouch that the company would not indulge in these type of tactics. Also, PayPal was within rules to deduct fees, after all, they are doing a service which is not free.

7. Alisa

Alisa New Member

Well, all I can say…..all’s well that ends well.

8. Astrid

Astrid New Member

I agree with all the members who have supported secondwind CPAP.com. I just ordered a new Transcend II travel CPAP with accessories from them. I inquired with them if they could ship it sooner as I am planning a trip within three to four days and they have agreed to send it the next day, despite it being a weekend. Speaks much about their customer service. I would surely recommend them to all.

9. stephen

stephen New Member

Though things have ended well for @juggernaut, I am still wondering were you not aware of the fact that service transactions are not free. Companies like PayPal always does charge the person who receives money, something like credit card companies would do for a merchant. Though you would not have got any buyer protection, you would surely have got seller protection. Also, I think instead of cribbing over fee charges, you should be happy that you would not have to undergo all the hassles which would be there when using a check.

To be fair on your part, I think secondwind should make the seller aware of all the fees beforehand to avoid these type of issues.

Must say, this is an interesting topic and thanks to @juggernaut for raising awareness about this.

10. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Now I am wondering if you are supporting me or “ranting” about me. :grinning:

Anyways, thanks for the compliments and sincere apologies to all secondwind CPAP users, if I offended them, but felt this needed to be highlighted.

11. kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope New Member

No offense taken and hope you have a successful relationship with secondwind CPAP.com. BTW, PayPal is owned by eBay, so no wonder they would be sharing their philosophy on fees charged.