Sams Club Night therapy memory foam mattress reviews??

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by mathew, Dec 4, 2017.

1. mathew

mathew New Member

Hey guys,

Okay, so I am so anxious right about now, I might explode. After doing about a month’s research on different mattresses, their pros and cons, I realize it’s time to make a decision on what to choose, given that my Queen size lies in my bedroom, rotting, really. What really annoys me is that only after 2 years of using, our pillow top is pretty much burned up and sagging heavily, making sleeping a dreadful act, really.

I feel like a lot of these new mattress companies cannot be trusted, with regard to the quality of products they use. I mean, we are customers, and have the right to expect something nice for having paid so much. Let’s be honest, no one actually takes up warranties, and even if they do, it is such a hassle. I tried for this mattress, but apparently the “wear and tear” (as they term it in the mattress industry) is more than the expected level, so guess what? Don’t trust the warranties. I got super psyched about this mattress because it offered about 10 years of warranty.

So I need to change it, desperately at that. I am willing to pay some big bucks for one too, granted that it is of good quality. I mean I think $1,500-2000 is a good amount to be spent on a King (my kids sleep on the same bed as me and are only going to grow bigger).

On my priority list I have the return policy at the top, and hence decided to go with Costco or Sam’s (which I’ve been hearing some really good reviews about recently).

That said, I really did try using a latex mattress, but it wasn’t cut out for me. I guess not every mattress kind is for everyone, am I right?

This forum seemed like an open space where people can say whatever is on their mind, honest reviews about mattresses, and that’s why I like it to begin with. I really have fun reading through the many pages of reviews (and do enjoy the occasional feud- JK!) and feel like I can trust whatever I hear from here, which is why I’m here. HELP! If I’m not wrong, most people over here don’t love memory foam feels, but I do know of some friends who really love it and have become so accustomed to it that they think there’s nothing above it. Truth be told, it’s one of the main reasons why I’m so panicky about trying it.

I’ve read about a zillion reviews by now, and I came across many positive reviews on Sleep Like the Dead. That said, I also read some comparisons where the recommended one is 12” Aerus from Sam’s!

I am 6’2 and my wife is 5’7 (we’re a pretty tall couple), and we have two beautiful children, who despite having their own rooms end up sleeping on our bed most nights (one’s 2 and the other’s 5). A total of our combined weights would round off to about 500 lbs.

My wife and myself are really the only ones with preferences, and we both prefer a firm support for our backs. We both sleep on our backs, while the kids usually undertake all possible sleeping positions. We want a bed that is cozy but extends the support we need for correct spinal alignment.

We have it narrowed down to two options so far:

· Aerus 12” Memory foam (Sam’s): This is only around $550, and has statistics giving the dimensions of 3” of memory foam on top (not entirely sure if that’s good).

· The Night Therapy 10” memory foam (Sam’s): This is legit a STEAL at only under $500 for a Queen, and is composed of 3” of memory foam, but is lighter than the memory foam in the Aerus 12”. Could someone tell me if that’s a good thing, or bad? Also, the densities of the bases are given, but I’m not too sure what to do with that dynamic either.

For reference, we would like to get some of that bounce offered, and from what I’ve read, the sinkage reduces with a decrease in memory foam density? Also want a cooler surface to sleep on, have read a lot about breathability properties and even though I don’t know the science behind it, I know I don’t want to wake up in a puddle of my own perspiration. If anyone knows anything else about these factors, fill me in.

Thoughts of all sorts are highly appreciated. To recollect, we are looking for a mattress that offers a medium firm, maximized support, ample bounce (for the kids to jump on), lesser sinkage, good brand quality and no pressure point building.

Many thanks!

2. Scotch23

Scotch23 New Member

Does anyone know if Sam’s has a retail store where we can try out the feel of the mattress?

3. mathew

mathew New Member

Okay, so I found out today that Sam’s Night Therapy and Walmart’s Spa Sensations have a common owner: a company known as “Zinus”. It appears that this mattress from Spa Sensations, known as the 12” Theratouch memory foam is dirt cheap, at a price of only $400! I mean, are you freaking kidding me? That too for a King. And here I was expecting to pay $1000! What’s even more interesting is it’s rating, a 4.5 on 5, and has over 1,500 likes apart from many positive reviews. Is this too good to be true or WHAT. Even so I am not jumping into any impulsive buys, but I’m going to wait patiently until I get the reply I’m in search of. That said, the Night Therapy by Sam’s offers a memory foam bed at a similar price. It also has similar good ratings, 4.5 on a 5 and is liked by close to 200 people. I was wondering if anyone knew the likes of them being the same?

I guess I’m still in awe about the Spa Sensations bagging a 4.5 on 5 AND getting 1.5k likes at such a price. Even though the return rate is only 90 days, I guess the money makes it worth a shot? Or am I just geeking out here? Someone help me. I want to know: Is Zinus worth spending my cash on? And are the reviews valid? If anyone has any experience with the two, please post here!

Sadly enough they don’t! I know that it sounds frustrating, but they are fairly reasonably priced and easily returnable (like 0 fuss). I am just debating as to whether I should go for the higher or lower density foam. Again, if anyone knows anything about that…

4. mumbo-jumbo

mumbo-jumbo New Member

I was wondering if you’d made your decision yet? I’m in a similar decision and I want to know if memory foam worked out for you? I’ve read reviews, but I’m honestly so confused at this point where some people went like “it was too soft, and lacked comfort” and the others went like, “It was too firm”. I mean, reviews are obviously very personalized experience!!

5. mathew

mathew New Member

GUYSS? Anybody home? Please help me decide between the Aerus and Night Therapy! I’m back on that now. Between the 3lb and 4lb top layers: it’s boiled down to that.

My previous freak out on the slashed prices at Spa Sensations faded with time, when I took some time to think (thank God I don’t impulsive buy anymore). The same group owns both Night Therapy and Spa Sensations and for some reason my gut told me that this advanced number of good reviews and likes makes me a little more than just suspicious, that maybe the company has something to do with this? Don’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just what I felt, and hence, ditched. Even though Aerus has some really good reviews, the number of people who have actually used it are less, so maybe that’s a bad sign? Hoping to buy soon, so I really do want some answers ASAP.

No, not yet :-/

6. goo

goo New Member

Honestly, I think if you’re into memory foam (which you said you wanted to try) and like Spa Sensations, I think you should give it a go! I mean, if it doesn’t appeal to you in a month, you just return it right? What’s the worst that can happen. I think you should be willing to try newer experiences, granted that you had an issue earlier, just make sure to return it within the trial period.

7. MateRuss

MateRuss New Member

From what I’ve read, I feel that the Aerus 12” is a better pick. Perhaps this is because of the memory foam used, even though a pound heavier, uses an open celled memory foam, which promotes breathability of the mattress, and extends efficient airflow. The Night Therapy does not make use of open celled memory foam, ensuring a rather heated surface to sleep on with time. Further, the Aerus uses the VPF technology, which basically equates to better quality and minimal off-gassing (I’m sure you’ve done your research and come across this multiple times).

The Aerus is $200 more for a reason, and I think perhaps the bamboo infused cover of the Aerus is better. To me, this sounds like a better pick at a higher quality and durability as well, though I must say the mystery behind the Spa Sensation kind of got to me as well. But I did find out that the cover of Spa Sensation is velvety in nature: not sure if that was informative to anyone, just putting it out there for grabs! Despite the super weird reviews, I think all three of them are pretty awesome, but if I were to pick, I’d go with Aerus. I mean, even 500 bucks for a King is pretty cheap. Good luck on your purchase if it hasn’t been made already, and don’t forget to write up a fully fledged review on the same to help the rest of us! Thanks already.

8. goo

goo New Member

So, how did your mattress shopping go mathew? Your insights are useful ;)

9. mathew

mathew New Member

I was intrigued by what memory foam had to offer, it seemed different from what I was used to. But we bought Amerisleep a while ago (with a medium firm) and my wife found the sinking effect to be fearful. (She often felt stuck and claustrophobic once consumed between the layers of foam). But Sam’s is returnable, so we figured we’d give it a go, because I read somewhere that not all memory foam mattresses provide that sinking effect. But with what I have at the moment, I’m in a pickle, and really can’t make a decision.

Since my wife is not a fan of memory foam, we decided to go a different way, and ended up ordering the firm flippable which is super cheap and firm for support. Don’t get me wrong, I am not all about the price factor, in fact, like I mentioned earlier, my budget for a new mattress was $1000-2000. I was super excited to buy a really nice brand, say from Nest Alexander or Stearns and Foster, where this price factor is ideal. While I wouldn’t mind spending the cash on it, I was only scared that the mattress would work just fine for me until after the refund period, which is what happened with my previous mattress. The sagging process began after 2 years, after which the warranty was also invalid. I just don’t see the point in spending so much if I’m going to end up buying a new one anyway in 2 years.

Hence, I decided to go with the Firm Flippable at only $300, which has a returnable period of forever! The best part about it is that my expectation level is not piqued, hence if it lasts for over 2 years, I will be beyond happy.

Perhaps not the best of quality, but I realized high quality didn’t necessarily do me any good earlier. The Firm Flippable also has nearly 800 coils, which for a king size is excellent (apparently).

That said, I did invest in some cheap toppers for the mattress, (the Aerus 3lb and 4lb-haha!) just to get that memory foam feel I’d always hoped for. Just for me though, my wife can’t stand it. If you’re in a similar situation, I’d strongly recommend toppers. They imitate great feels of the mattress, while I don’t have to compromise on what my wife wants either. It’s a win-win!

Once I start using this new mattress, I’ll post here should I experience any weirdness, or something super cool I was so not expecting.

Thanks guys, I love that you found my stuff super helpful, I try!

10. Roger-That

Roger-That New Member

FYI, I used both mattresses one after the other, which is a scary coincidence, and I felt the need to make it public. I used a Stearns and Foster mattress in its twin XL size for nearly 4 weeks before I returned it. It had the whole deal: beautifully wrapped individual coils infused into the base so as to promote bounce, an encasement for the foam, and a velour cover. What I didn’t like about it was the layer of 1” of normal foam. In less than a week, I figured that the contouring of the body was good, but the impressions left on the mattress (meaning a permanent compression on the mattress) was pretty distracting.

On the other hand, the softer feel mattresses was actually pretty firm for me. It may have been a supporting system in disguise, but I didn’t find myself being contoured or lulled by the layers around me (which is something I really go for). The four 1” layers even appear to be cheap stuff in terms of mattress composition foam, not really made of high density foam, or even memory foam, far from natural products of latex! This with a price of $1130 in total was not a fair deal, in my opinion. I think you did good by picking the cheaper option. Do let me know how it works out for you!