Saatva Mattress sagging

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by jane, Jan 7, 2018.

1. jane

jane New Member

Okay, guys, I have a question regarding Saatva. I know most people do the whole introduction thing, but what can I say, I’m not new to the forum, and I’m quite anxious to get an answer to this question, so listen contently.

I’ve heard wonders about Saatva everywhere, how they’re so great in general, as a company and of course individual posts that rave about how great it feels and looks, the posh euro pillow-top and whatnot that gets customers going, and their website has a billion good reviews about it. No doubt that it is a great company that sells good products that often seem to please their customers. All well and good. A lot of the reviews have to do with the friendly customer service and their ability to stay calm and be polite in general, many others are about how great they feel, the feeling that comes from the initial contact with the mattress. About this, I’ve heard plenty and checked out two different models in a retail store a couple of blocks away from me, and I have to say, I agree. It was so plush and soft while supporting my back just fine. It was the whole package indeed. But I guess the primary concern I had was no one ever mentioned anything about its durability. This was surprising, considering that how long a mattress is going to last is a pretty serious question to me and something I’d pay attention to before buying any mattress. I guess it is a little weird that Saatva has sold so many mattresses till now, yet there is not one review on any forum or their official website that states, perhaps the durability is good or bad? Isn’t that something they should’ve paid attention to? I mean, granted it may not be the best in terms of durability, but we, as customers, have the right to know if it doesn’t right? Something eerie about that. Further, I am no expert in the biz, but I believe that it has something to do directly with the quality of the materials used in the mattress construction? I remember reading somewhere that quality/durability was sort of like this symbiotic relation, where both were interrelated, often more than customers knew! If they are edgy about its strength and sustenance, or maybe took down any negative comments that said the durability was bad, perhaps this is due to the lack of good quality used in the materials? I’m sorry, it’s just a little hard to believe.

2. stephen

stephen New Member

Hello @jane, seeing a forum by after a long time. Hope all is well at your end. When you said about Saatva, even I think it is a bit weird. If I remember correctly, someone asked this very question, and no one responded! The company has been successfully selling their product for many years now, and only sell their product using online marketing. Maybe that’s why. Frankly, even I do not have an answer to your question.

3. jane

jane New Member

Hello, @stephen. Well, everything is fine at this end of the world. Hope you are doing great.

You see why it looks odd. I mean they’re doing well for themselves, but it’s just a little hard to believe that no one had any issues with the mattresses they bought. Surely there are people with such experiences; I’m just wondering why no one has said anything about it! That said, I must admit that I think Saatva did a fantastic job in ensuring that they have a good name wherever they are mentioned. It almost looks intentional, that everywhere, it has nothing but good reviews, which is just not possible. Call me overly skeptical, but I’d like to know what I’m getting into before making my purchase, and frankly do not believe in the fabricated posts that mostly their company employees have written (or been forced to write, I wouldn’t know). But I would like to hear some personal experiences from customers who have actually used the product and the issues they must’ve faced (surely there are customers here who have had some experience with a Saatva mattress.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

OMG!!! You couldn’t have put it better! I am beginning to wonder myself. It’s odd that it never occurred to me before, but thank you for bringing this up. What if it is true, your doubts? ‘Cuz you know, sometimes I wonder. There is a good chance that most of the reviews we read on their official websites, as you called it, is “fabricated.” I am not going to lie; I was freaked out by the number of customers who knew so many fancy terms about mattresses. Who’s to say that these reviews are not discussed ahead of time and have been planted by professionals themselves. Honestly, if that’s the case though, I am so offended. Customer response is not to be played around with, and unless they deny it, I am going to believe that is the case. You’d think that they’d be civil enough to keep a good number of bad reviews as well. They have done a damn good job in removing the negative reviews. I am so not happy with my experience with Saatva. I’ve had it for about two years now, and I remember posting on another website once about how it was unfulfilling, but I can’t find it now (I can’t blame anyone else though because I can’t remember where I posted it, else I could’ve linked you). The only reason I’m still keeping it is that my husband finds it fine and to be honest, I am not ready to go through another search parade for a new mattress. I know how much time and energy went into buying this one, and if I'm honest, I don’t think there is ever a “perfect” mattress for anyone. It was a better option than our previous one, but that was only because the previous one was this ancient model that we don’t even remember buying (pretty sure his whole family had used it at some point in their lives ;) ). I am not going to lie, the Saatva looks amazing. When I first went to the local retail, I remember running my hands on the surface of the mattress and thinking “WOW.” It was so soft and plush; I thought I’d fall asleep on it the minute I lied down on it. Well, that feeling still exists whenever I lie down on the mattress.

5. Yolina

Yolina New Member

I have been using Saatva for nearly three years now, and I won’t be lying if I say this is one helluva mattress. However, I still have my set of complaints about it. One amazing feature of this mattress is the random lump found in the middle of the mattress, which is not that evident or disturbing at all. In fact, I am glad about it because I hear so many people complain about the middle of their mattress sinking and becoming overly soft, so that’s a pro. Maybe the main con would be the way it leans downward too often, this feeling heightened when sleeping in the middle (on the lump). It makes you feel like you’re going to roll right off the mattress, and further puts me at a bizarre angle with respect to my back, misaligning my spinal cord. Also, it’s like I can feel the support layers right beneath me, it’s not that comfortable. Sure, the top layer still has its feel and everything, but it feels like I’m sleeping on a soft carpet on the floor. Another big problem I have with it is that it sleeps warm. This was not the case when we bought it initially and started heating up the past couple of months, driving me insane. I wake up at odd hours at night in a pool of my sweat. Not so attractive. Back in my single days, I remember owning a Kingsdown mattress which was good, made me feel like I was sleeping amidst the clouds, so fluffy and comfortable. I think the reason I threw it out was the increasing sag factor, which was working for me, but my then fiancé had an issue with it and needed a firmer surface to sleep on. But I hear that many mattresses eventually begin to sag with extensive use of it, so I wouldn’t blame it because it was 100x better than the Saatva.

6. blair

blair New Member

Has anybody replied to you regarding this? Someone from Saatva, hopefully? There’s no way they would’ve missed such a post, especially on such a forum. I’m not going to lie, it’s occurred to me too, that perhaps it’s a possibility that some professionals are hired to write good reviews about the mattress, and that they may not be from actual users? If that is even remotely true, that is so not cool. I am truly grateful that Saatva has a great team of customer service employees, who take care of issues well, but really, what about this? How come it has still suspiciously not been addressed even after it was posted? I agree that this mattress may have a great first feel and that customers like how good the value of the purchase is, but really, how does it feel a year into the purchase? Does it lose quality? What about the foam: does it develop any depressions or indentations. And the sag factor? How fast does it sag?

7. outfox

outfox New Member

Hey guys, I recently got myself a Stearns&Foster mattress, a luxury firm model and it is a beauty. I got it from Lancaster Mattress and to be honest, I like it. It is nice, definitely, but the only issue I seem to be having with it is that it sleeps hot. The Lancaster Mattress has some good reviews, which is why I wanted to buy it, paired up with the luxurious feels of it. I started getting panicky only because I read some reviews recently (after making the purchase, the dummy I am) that said that it wasn’t the best with regard to durability. This put me off a little because I was hoping this mattress would last me a bit. Further, the sag factor also apparently increases exponentially (it happened to one of the customers, at least) and that is something I was hoping to ignore. I was able to get in touch with the customer care before making the purchase, and they assured me that the sag factor for this mattress would not factor in for a good 2-3 years or so. Since it was a very expensive mattress, I didn’t want to have to spend so much and find out that the quality of the mattress was not as much as I’d hoped for. I sleep on my stomach majorly, and sometimes on my sides, but my wife sleeps exclusively on her sides (just putting it out there, if this mattress is not suitable for side sleepers or something). I am mostly planning on returning this mattress, don’t think it’s cut off for me, and instead of thinking of investing in a Saatva luxury (well I was planning on it, but now that I see these reviews…) Are there any issues concerning the durability of the mattress? I also did not find any posts regarding this, weirdly enough as @jane pointed out. If anyone from Saatva messages anyone, please mention here. :) Really need an answer to this.

8. shradha

shradha New Member

I bought my Saatva nearly one-and-a-half year ago, and it was great. I bought it because of the stylish Euro pillow-top, and it’s overly lush feel. Initially, I felt some issues with the mattress and felt myself tossing and turning most nights, but with time, I grew into it and felt it was responding positively! I was thrilled with my experience, until about six to seven months into using it. I started developing this severe back pain situated at the lower back, and it didn’t seem to subside. I thought it was lack of exercise, excessive intake of caffeine or pressure from work! It drove me insane, I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I woke up feeling extremely sore this once and I realized it was probably my mattress. I noticed that there was this weird dent in the middle of the mattress and then up. They said a lot of fancy terms, basically translating to possible breakdown of the springs or something in the comfort layer, but they were quick to respond and solved the issue :) I’m not sure about the durability, I can only respond to that in a few years, but I promise I’ll let you know.

9. jester

jester New Member

Hello friends, I know some of the forum members have bought Saatva and was just hoping that anybody would respond with respect to how it turned out? I mean those who bought it a little over two years can surely tell concerning the mattress’s durability. Also, I was wondering, which is the best Saatva model? I don’t know which one I want, but not the one that could develop a weird indentation in the middle of it. I hope to get a reply soon.

Thanks

10. jane

jane New Member

Well, guys!!! This is now turning out to be weirder. I mean apart from the members who mentioned issues with Saatva, nobody has any issues with the mattress!!! I am not able to see any reviews regarding the durability of Saatva. This was one of the major questions I had in mind and was the only thing that was stopping me from making my purchase of the mattress. I fumbled about for a good month, not knowing what to do stalling my decision and honestly killing me just a little until my wife told that we would cross the bridge when it comes. This was like a ray of sunlight for my dead mattress desires, and I bought it; today marks the fourth anniversary of its entrance into our home. I got to say, now that I’ve had some first-hand experience that my concerns were true. As it turns out, Saatva does NOT hold up well. Hell, it started falling apart way before I was even expecting it to. One of my worst decisions ever.

Allow me to weave you a tale, the story of how I went to buy this mattress that I now sadly own and how I went about with it. We got the “extra firm” mattress in the King size in 2014. Not going to lie, the first two years with it was amazing. I liked the feel, and oddly enough it did not cease to comfort: but during the third year of its use, I started noticing this very evident bulge right in the middle of the mattress. It was awkward actually and was fairly visible at that. As more time passed by, we also started experiencing serious sagging on the edges of the mattress that soon spread to the sides. It was a nightmare. I tried everything - rotating it, centering it, shifting it around to get the best spot in the room, but it just didn’t work. Getting a good night’s sleep is no piece of cake now. I wake up in pain many nights now with my back hurting and not able to fall back asleep. The sag just makes it very uncomfortable to sleep on, and I find myself shifting my positions to find a spot that I can sleep comfortably on, but I can’t find one. So I stay awake. This was the only problem, initially. But now my back has also started to ache. It’s not a blinding pain, but it is still there. It doesn’t disappear in the morning either. It lingers for a bit. Well so much for the great Saatva.

11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist New Member

We had owned a Kingsdown mattress that was good to us for a solid ten years but started sagging, so we had replaced it with Saatva. However, after just two years, it has started to sag. Now that we look back, we think that that sag in Kingsdown was not as bad compared to the Saatva. Pretty sad. We were thinking of investing in a Kingsdown itself, my family really liked the feel of it, as did I. Sadly enough at the time, there were some negative reviews with regard to the company as a whole, and there was some confusion with the whole buying scenario: we weren’t sure if investing in a company such as that would make sense. Plus with Saatva’s great reviews, we figured that there had to be some truth in it to be such a good company. That said, I do admit that it might be my issue for not calling them up and complaining about the sag factor, but I do know how this goes down; the entire process and how they have certain expectations before agreeing on a full exchange, hence I chose to ignore it. I guess I will give it a go anyway. But still, I just feel that Saatva was pretty overpriced as it is, and for what we paid, the expectations were certainly not met. It should’ve lasted longer. I guess all I have to say is, go with your gut. Make your decision based on your judgment, and don’t rely on any other response, unless you are certain that they are authentic. Also, depend on personal experience only. If a mattress appears “too good to be true” chances are, it is. So choose wisely is all I’ve to say.

12. KegynAllen

KegynAllen New Member

@anorexorcist, I think you should really complain to the company about this. Have you tried contacting them before you bought the mattress, you know, for additional insight? That’s what I usually do, and since the customer care is super helpful, you should’ve been good there, right? I am sorry, however, that you had a bad experience. Try contacting them though. If they respond, don’t forget to post here :) thanks!

13. tato

tato New Member

Hey guys, I need a new mattress and Saatva seemed pretty cool. What do you guys think about the durability of the mattress? I am going for a mattress that will last me at least 4-5 years, and I don’t mind spending some extra cash to ensure that’ll happen.

14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster New Member

@tato, hope my post will be beneficial to you. So I bought my Saatva mattress close to three years ago, and I followed all the steps many mattress experts in various forums talk about. I went through the guidelines and made a proper test of how I was going to experiment with the mattress and what not. Turned out to be great, so I went back, did my research for a good week and found out that it was a good match for me. Finally, I bought it, the “extra firm” Saatva. It was good for the first couple of months, after which I started noticing the sag factor. At first, I didn’t think it would be harmful in any way, just that my sleep would be affected and that the aesthetics of the mattress might get ruined, just a little. But then I started getting these horrific backaches and didn’t even notice that the mattress was responsible for this. Anyway, we got in touch with the customer service and I told him about the issues we were facing and he listened with great interest. I was happy, thinking that this was headed in the right direction when he told me that the warranty period was only 2 years. Note that even though I experienced this sag a little earlier, I only bothered calling them up post the warranty period, which killed me. If only I would’ve called them sooner, I would’ve gotten a replacement. I was also furious that their warranty period was so low. There are so many companies that put their warranty periods until 10-20 years, that I didn’t bother noticing Saatva offered a measly two.

Furious as I was at them about this, I went to their website and started reading some reviews and latest posts and updates and found that recently they have been promoting themselves for positively affecting the environment by making use of organic cotton in their mattresses. This almost made me LAUGH OUT LOUD. The use of this organic cotton is a small layer on the top that is in the quilting process, alone. This was so hilarious to me that they just wanted to promote their brand’s positive image that they didn’t care how much % of it is organic cotton. Gullible customers such as you and I may not stop to read it, but the next time we think about mattresses, we go “Saatva makes use of environmentally friendly foam in their mattresses, they make use of ORGANIC cotton, so we should probably give that a go.” Lucky for us, there are forums today where we can have open, honest discussions about this, I just hope that most people who are planning on buying this mattress see this post.

Right after this, I decided that I would word my anguish and frustration in a nice long worded post on their official website. It seemed only fitting considering that most of it had only cotton candy and rainbow reviews, so I went about and wrote how dissatisfied I was with the mattress and upset by the way I felt betrayed that they kept using the word organic cotton when it’s use is barely negligible, almost. It’s not a major part of the mattress, and unless it is, they shouldn’t be able to promote it so much. I think right after I posted this, I was called by one of their staff, who I am assuming works on the official website. I talked to him for a good 20 minutes, telling him how upset I was with the company and how I felt so betrayed and dissatisfied with the product I had as it is. To this, I was responded to with a lot of hatred, and he accused me of slander! Further, they said that legal action would be taken against me unless and until I took down the post. This made me a little scared but also was freaking hilarious. I finally understood how they were pulling this nice guy act all along. Their EVP called me up a few days after that and apologized for the way they acted towards me and such, but still insisted that I take down the review. They further offered me to pay for my new mattress, which was a super generous gesture. Naturally, I was happy and accepted but still understood that they just couldn’t take bad reviews. Pretty pathetic.

Moral of the story: Only two years warranty, so buy with precaution. For us, the quality did not hold up. I’d suggest you take your money and go for a better brand, or even better, a local manufacturer who can guarantee you with a higher quality product for half the price.