sleepaider.com is supported by readers. When you buy with our links, we may earn a commission.Learn more

Sheets & Blankets Rothco European Army Surplus Style Wool Blankets - The Best

giovanny81

giovanny81

This Rothco European Army Surplus Style 90% wool blanket is perfect. I got one while planning a camping trip.

Coming to the features –
  • The blanket is a heavy-weight and does keep you warm! It provided a good loft and was tightly woven.
  • It had a weird smell when opened out of the package. I washed it in mild detergent, let it air dry for a few days and the smell dissipated. Might be lucky, but the smell vanished.
  • The blanket is soft, but not soft like a $300 blanket. This is a $35 blanket, so the quality does vary.
That said, it does serve its purpose.

Staff

Staff

Administrator
Thank you for the review. The product @giovanny81 is talking about is this one here.

If you are here you may also want to look at the best selling bed blankets on amazon.

This page will now serve as the dedicated community forum page for Rothco European Surplus Style Wool Blanket. Here members may post their reviews and experiences about the product, ask questions, discuss concerns! Off topic posts will be deleted.

Note: sleepaider is supported by readers. We may earn commissions when you buy with our links

D

damaris98

You cannot beat this blanket. This blanket is thick and does keep me warm in 20-degree weather. At 10 degrees, no it does not keep you warm. Smell wise – mine had a kerosene-y smell. After all, we are talking about army surpluses and not a blanket costing $200. I washed it a few times, let it air dry for two to three weeks and the smell was gone.

Worth every penny.

M

Micky Cat

This Rothco surplus blanket is not pure wool. You wash it, and it pills up. Cut the pills, and you are left with a thin blanket. Another disturbing feature was that the fibers were melting. Wool does not melt or burn.

#Staff edit: user mentioned product attached with relevant link. Purchases might earn us commissions.

A

andrewfordman

How do you wash them? Machine wash or hand wash? Air dry or dryer?

giovanny81

giovanny81

How do you wash them? Machine wash or hand wash? Air dry or dryer?
Your choice. You can machine wash or wash it by hand. Wash it in cold water using a mild detergent like OxyClean or Woolite and let it air dry. It might take some time to get completely dry.

Renly

Renly

A warm, nice-looking blanket with poor quality control. Besides the odor, the blanket had lot of defects, major one being the formation of hairballs, snipping of which renders the blanket thin at places.

Even so, planning to use it as a spare blanket.

R

raconteur

Awesome blanket. It is a blend of wool and synthetic fiber. Wool gives you warmth and other fibers help in binding the whole thing together. The stitching is tight at top and bottom. It is a tad smaller than advertised, 66 x 80 compared to 66 x 90.

I am looking forward to spending warm nights under the sky.

B

block beauty

Wool does not get burnt quickly, so why flame retardants? Why does it smell?

R

raconteur

Wool does not get burnt quickly, so why flame retardants? Why does it smell?
Flame retardants are necessary. People often use these type of blankets near a fire and having flame retardant properties does help in avoiding any accidents if the ember flies over.

I have no idea why it smells, but a few washes and air drying it does help in getting rid of the smell.

Flame

Flame

Good blanket. For $35 this one is Amazing!. A few washes have resulted in it becoming a soft and felted one. Washing did not shrink it but made it easier to handle.