Rapid Breathing While Sleeping

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by Jegbenew, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Jegbenew

Jegbenew New Member

Hello everyone.

I have a strange issue with me. I used to have problems with my mask, and after a lot of time spent going to sleep MD and the DME, I finally got my mask, and I have adjusted to my snorkel very nicely and have not had any issues. However, a few days back, my girlfriend told me that of late, she has been watching me take quick breaths and the frequency is increasing. I have been sleeping very soundly and waking up quite refreshed. Not sure whether I should tell my sleep doctor about this or let it slide through.

Thanks for the help.

2. Brad Maven

Brad Maven New Member

I think you should inform your doctor about it. Might turn out to be inconsequential, but always being prepared and forewarned is good.

3. Lorigh

Lorigh New Member

Even I had the same issue as @Jegbenew. My machine has recorded my heart rate more than 100 beats per minute when I am breathing rapidly, and I surely had a very crappy sleep and an unrefreshed morning. I have taken an appointment with my doctor, let’s see what he comes up with.

4. rachit

rachit New Member

I had this problem when I first started using my CPAP. My husband noticed it and told me about it. Has been nearly 3 months now and he has not said a word about my rapid breathing, so I guess my breathing is fine now and I am adjusted to my CPAP. Anyways, to be on safe side would check with him again once he wakes up :wink:.

5. anonymousUK

anonymousUK New Member

Well, my wife had rapid breathing, especially when she had the A-flex turned on. After a trial-and-error method, we switched off the A-Flex and lo presto she started breathing normally. So, I think you can check that out before consulting the sleep MD.

6. NatureSun

NatureSun New Member

Just a thought…..Rapid breathing can indicate a buildup of CO2 causing the body to clear off the CO2, resulting in hyperventilation. Rebreathing or too much dead space in the mask can cause CO2 buildup. Never heard of A-Flex contributing to hyperventilation, but anything is possible.

7. anonymousUK

anonymousUK New Member

Hi @NatureSun, the rapid breathing was more of her trying to keep pace with the machine. A-flex raised the pressure before she had completely exhaled. Hope I am describing correctly.

8. Cora

Cora New Member

There are two types of 'rapid breathing.'

1) CO2 related hyperventilation
    2) Shallow rapid breathing is also known as panting, which has other causes.

One thing nobody has mentioned is the blood pressure…does anybody (who suffer from rapid breathing) suffer from high blood pressure?

One other thought which just got into my mind was Cheyne Stokes Breathing. The graph looks something like this
    upload_2017-11-24_13-14-48.png

Whatever be the case, I would urge @Jegbenew to meet the doctor ASAP.

9. mathew

mathew New Member

Cheyne Stokes breathing, hmmm…..heard about it, but I am not sure it is widespread. BTW thanks for the diagram.

10. Cora

Cora New Member

Cheynes-Stokes breathing has two distinct patterns:

waxing – breathing becomes faster and deeper
    waning – breathing gets shallower and slower

After these cycles…apnea occur.

Each phase typically lasts for 1 to 2 minutes, and the entire pattern gets repeated. It is primarily due to a weak heart.

This link would give a good description of the condition.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317313.php

11. Jegbenew

Jegbenew New Member

Big THANKS to all for the suggestions and special thanks to @Cora for the link and the diagram. I have taken an appointment with my sleep MD for this.