Philips Respironics System One troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by Oblivion, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion New Member

I repent the day I bought my Philips Respironics System One BiPAP. The only thing it has given me is trouble and more trouble. The unit has been switched more than four times by DME, and the same nagging problem crops up. The problem is this – Philips Respironics System One shuts off while I am fast asleep and I end up having a suffocated feeling and a steady beep in the background. I have to get up, unplug the unit, replug and go to sleep…if lucky, then I would get an hour’s sleep. On top of it, the DME is behaving as if I am the person responsible for the unit’s problems and there is simply no problems at all with BiPAP machine. It takes them almost 48 hours to respond to a question, and during this, I am without the device at all.

Can somebody help me with this? I am at my wits end in trying to figure out what to do. Calling Philips was a sheer waste of money as they merely said: “Get in touch with your local DME.” As if I had not done that already.

2. george

george New Member

I was wondering if you have kept the Split Night settings ON?? If that’s the case, just turn it OFF. Also check out if Mask Alert is ON, and if so, try turning that too OFF. Hope this solves your problem.

3. Oblivion

Oblivion New Member

I do not have Split Sleep as far as I know. I try taking a nap, and it just shuts off every five minutes. I am wondering if it is something to do with power cord since it has remained the same even when the unit has been replaced.

4. Argghhh

Argghhh New Member

A long shot really, why do not you ask the DME to change the power cord including power brick, might be something to do with that. Any internal component or connector might be the problem since three units having the same issue is very strange. I have a PR S1 machine which has ill-fitting power cord…when it gives me trouble, I just jiggle it and presto, it starts working.

Also, check for wiring in the room to rule out an issue with the electrical outlet. The machine might be reacting to some electrical fault such as reversed polarity, short circuit, having other device placing a heavy burden on the same circuit or plain old low voltage issue.

It might be worth a shot.

5. kerfuffle

kerfuffle New Member

I’m just wondering if DME is acting unscrupulously in returning the same unit every time.

I would suggest that you note down machine’s serial number and manufacturing date – it can be found on the bottom plate of PR S1. While unplugging and re-plugging, note down software version number (come and goes off very fast on the LED screen), pore over complete Clinician’s manual and check whether SmartStart, Split Night as well as and SmartStop are turned OFF.

Moreover, would suggest you make a small mark on the machine which only you would know to check whether the same unit is being handed to you every time…I have come across cases where DME companies have not acted very scrupulously.

Also, if possible make them check the unit in front of you.

Keep us posted.

6. imogen

imogen New Member

If DME is acting smarty pants, I would suggest contacting PR directly, and since it is a known manufacturing defect, they should be able to help you.

7. Oblivion

Oblivion New Member

I just had a chat with PR again, and they repeated the same old story, “ Get in touch with your local DME company. So much so for “Innovation and you..”:mad:

8. agent007

agent007 New Member

Friends, I think it is time, we start making some noise. @Oblivion, I would suggest you send a strongly worded letter to PR, CERTIFIED and RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. Send a copy to local DME and one copy to Business Licensing Board of your state. Just check if your sleep lab or doctor can help you in this regard.