Original Mattress Factory orthopedic luxury firm experiences

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Rubydust, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Rubydust

Rubydust New Member

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the whole idea of blogging/forums/online sites for mattresses in general and have zero knowledge on the topic. I am in search of a good, durable mattress for myself, after my horrific experience with the last one that decided to die on me while I was sleeping on it.

Long story short, I had to get rid of it that very night and ended up sleeping on the couch for the next couple of nights until I was able to get myself a sleeping bag. Even though my couch is comfortable enough for my body, I just don’t know if it’s an ideal (temporary) solution.

I was sleeping fine, but the couch is a little short for my height so my feet would often be elevated on the hand rests at an odd angle that I decided to elevate my head instead and use a pillow to get that support, but honestly I woke up the next day with a horrible headache and the back of my neck feeling excessively tender and sore. Bad idea, for sure so I asked around in my friend circle and was able to arrange a sleeping bag.

Of course, this is not my permanent solution, and as you can imagine, I would require a solution sometime shortly (because my friend likes to trek on a monthly basis, and I have about a month left now). Even so, I don’t want to make a rushed decision, and it’s been close to a week-and-a-half that I’ve been doing some low-scale research on some good brands. I do have to say that the Big S’s are doing a good job in promoting their brands, despite the hatred that can be seen on these forums.

So anyway I have been looking up various mattresses, even decided that it wouldn’t hurt to check the latex mattress side, but I did personally test 2-3 models and didn’t care for it as much. On the other hand, I went to the infamous OMF (the Original Mattress Factory) and found some good choices there too. I have heard a lot about the OMF in general, and I believe two of my best friends have bought many things from there, assuring me that the company stands up to its promises and guarantees good quality (generally, not sure if they were specific to mattresses).

Anyway, I was able to test a few from there, on the first day I liked three, but I went again just the other day and found that the one that was ideal to me in terms of PPP was the Orthopedic model with luxury firm feel. Something about this mattress reached out to me, and I could picture myself owning one. The price is also fine, I feel, and I am hoping that the quality is also good. If anyone has ever owned this model, could you do me the favor of explaining in detail about your personal experience; especially feel and the durability?

I like the mattress because it has a certain amount of firmness to it, is in no way a plush mattress. I like that it is a padded mattress and makes use of 12.75 gauge knotted offset coils. That’s right, this innerspring mattress seems like an ideal choice for me and gives me just the right amount of bounce. Also, in general, I felt that relative to the other two mattresses (that I tested), I was able to experience a level of comfort that knew no bounds.

This, of course, was limited to the store and I’ve read about a billion reviews about how that changes so easily once the mattress reaches home, so I am not saying anything until I get the mattress home first. I do have certain concerns with the softening and sagging of the mattress, so any insight on that would also be highly appreciated.

2. cheryllei9

cheryllei9 New Member

Orthopedic from OMF is a good choice. Though I have not tested or used it personally, I have friends and relatives who use, and till now I have not heard them complaining about it (which is a rarity nowadays). But I would suggest you check out some other models which would help you to either decide that Orthopedic is best for you or stumble upon another gem.

3. Rubydust

Rubydust New Member

Thank you @cheryllei9 for the response. I am sorry that I didn’t mention testing another model also. It was Regency model (again OMF) that had 14.5 gauge offset coils, and therefore the mattress had a better give than the first (but I liked the feel from Orthopedic the most). Doing my version of research through means of online sources, I was able to find that there was a large amount of hatred towards the Orthopedic model, which is actually why I had to include the next best choice I had, the Regency.

Honestly, if I do get some good reviews about Orthopedic (which I am rooting for), I will buy that, but until then I can manage on this sleeping bag. Don’t want to make a decision I’ll end up regretting life. So I will take my time to find out about this. Also, the models that these people were dissing was the plush or pillow-top models, do you think since I’m getting the luxury firm model, there’s a chance that these factors will not be present in the one I’m looking for? Certainly hope so, because as I mentioned, for me the PPP of the mattress was insanely good, and I don’t know if I will ever find another one like that.

4. nailah783

nailah783 New Member

I like how steadfast you are on this model. There’s a lot of hatred here and there on the internet, but honestly how much of that can you even buy? To be honest, even I would love to know what exactly my mattress is made of, so the first thing I’d recommend is to find out what’s in your mattress (and not the coils because that’s in the support layer). If you want to find out the durability of the mattress, you’re expected to find out what’s present in the weakest link of the mattress, the comfort layer. Since the coils are present in the support layer, the chances are that the comfort layers usually have either polyfoam or memory foam. Now while this is fine, make sure that the densities of these foams are relatively high, because otherwise the chances of them sagging and softening sooner than you’d hoped for will increase. I too have seen a lot of hatred towards this model, because even I was considering buying it, but honestly, I didn’t have the balls to go on with the purchase and steered another way. Either way, taking opinions from others is not going to be of much help to you, because you’ll find hatred everywhere. I suggest you get in touch with customer care and find out the densities and then get in touch with experts on this forum to find out if it will last you.

5. Rubydust

Rubydust New Member

Thank you @nailah783, I will get started on that. I was trying to get in touch with customer care, but I never got through to them. I did, however, manage to send them an email. I will explain my biggest concern to you. Yes, perhaps the memory foam in the comfort layer is not made of the greatest material (which is fine, because the price point will reflect that too). I just hope that the padding wears out with time and then I will start to feel the innerspring layer below me with the 12.75 gauge coils rendering too firm for me. I have heard this in many cases, especially for heavy sleepers (and my current boyfriend is 6’1). I do want that amount of sinkage in the mattress, as well as the bounce, but I also want it to last me a couple of good years.

Does this sound like a good mattress to you? I am not sure what further information the customer care rep would give me anyway but is there any way of finding out whether this in itself is a good option? Please let me know if it might end up being too firm in the future because that is something I intend to avoid. Even though I don’t like too much plushness, what’s even worse is too much firmness. I like just the right amount of firmness, which this mattress is (at the moment at least), but I need some surety that it will last that way for at least 4-5 years.

6. rollybooz

rollybooz New Member

Hi, @Rubydust. I am not sure that there are many great options that you’ve provided us to choose from, either way I’ll tell you this, and know that I am in no way a professional in the field, but a mere amateur with a burning desire for them, but I feel that perhaps the mattress has way too much polyfoam. Now I don’t know how much about this you know but it is a petroleum-based product and hence not-so-green. Now while this is not the only problem, you should know that having this bed is risky for yourself (in addition to the environment) because it is very much flammable. They use flame retardants in them, but even that is quite harmful to the environment, so my honest opinion would be to steer clear of it.

Since you have mentioned that impressions in later stages of the mattress is something that you are keen on avoiding, I would say your best option is far away from PU foam. It will form impressions before you know it, especially if it’s from a brand that is being evasive about the materials they use and the densities of each. This is probably one of the main reasons why there are so many raging reviews about the same, and there’s a reason for that, yes? If you are still intent on buying an innerspring that feels like foam, something I’d suggest would be getting a firm mattress (maybe even latex) and just throw on it a nice topper that gives the amount of comfort that seems ideal to you.

This is just me spitballing some ideas for you, take it or leave it. The reason why I suggest this is because if you do find that the foam in the topper is going kaput, then you throw out the topper instead of the whole mattress. I’ve made similar suggestions to my friends who were not ready to spend as much on an excellent quality mattress, and they are still using it, three years later.

7. tol3rd

tol3rd New Member

OMG if you are looking for a mattress that does not show impressions, I would say STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM PU AS POSSIBLE. You have no idea how annoyed I am with the manufacturers of my mattress because their negligence to our happiness is what has caused this, to begin with. I think it is their moral responsibility to keep us happy with their services and products.

Of course, this is something they wouldn’t care for as much anymore, because why would they when they know that customers are going to buy their cheap products anyway? The price is low but imagine if a 100 of us invested in this cheap shit vs. one smart person who spends an extra $500 and gets a much better product? I wish I didn’t invest in this, to begin with, and also I am an amateur in this subject, but trust me I’d done a ton of research before making this decision and the impressions I see on a daily basis is only growing.

Even after claiming that they make use of good quality polyfoam this is happening to me, so PLEASE be certain that yours is not some cheap shit like mine, because there’s no doubt that I’m going down there with this mattress and throwing it on their faces, or better yet ask them to sleep on it in front of me.

The worst part? The mattress felt awesome at first. And all my friends did warn me about the dangers of PU and how looks can be deceiving. I loved the feel of it instantly and made the purchase overnight to find out it was made of the cheapest quality because impressions started forming before six months and of course by then, the trial period was also way over. I’d say if you’re making your decision based on what you felt on initially lying down on the mattress, then you must think again because I made the same faulty error and am now suffering.

Sure I will either have my warranty used or whatever but the bottom line is I will have to go through the entire process again. I don’t think this faulty logic can be applied again. Deciding between using a cheap mattress for six months vs. getting a much better quality mattress for $1000 – the latter. I know that you have tried out latex but didn’t end up liking it, but honestly, so many people suggested that to me in the first place, and I also felt it is too firm for my liking so pushed it aside.

But at this point, I am kicking myself for not considering other options, and I think latex would’ve been a better option. Plus don’t you like the firmness? I feel that would work in your favor for some reason. I bought my mattress from one of the Big S’s, and I hate them for having ripped me off like that in such an indecent manner, but they will pay for this; we should do something about this, maybe a protest. Either way, they make use of horrible quality PU (not just the Big S’s), so please be on the lookout.

8. Rubydust

Rubydust New Member

Hello guys and thank you for your valid feedback, I will consider it. Unfortunately, latex is out of my options, but since you are all so vehemently against this model, I have decided to go with the Regency model, which has only three-quarters an inch of Polyfoam, and uses 1.25 inches of HD foam, so that’s good. I will let you know how it works out for me but I think that the 14.5 gauge offset coils has a positive spin on this mattress, and hence more advisable? Thanks a lot for your insight though.

9. Miller

Miller New Member

Nice discussion here :)

The present mattress I am using is due for retirement and I am currently researching options for a new mattress. I have a muscular structure at 5'-11, 210 lb. I was earlier a stomach sleeper. Some time ago I was diagnosed with OSA and put on CPAP. Ever since, I have been sleeping mostly on my back because of the sleep apnea and the full face CPAP mask.

I visited MattressFirm, Sleepy's, and Original Mattress Factory (OMF) and tried out various beds. Though at first I had considered the OMF Orthopedic Super Pillow Top, I was worried it may, with its pillow top, develop sagging or form lumps over time. The Stearns/Foster Luxe Estate I saw at the store seemed good but it was pretty expensive. The one that I found good and economical was the Simmons Beautyrest Black Desiree Plush.

I haven't tried the OMF Orthopedic Ultra Plush or the Luxury Firm yet, but that's also an option. Or even any other OMF innerspring model.

Can anyone please provide helpful information about these? Thank you very much.

10. Unluckybloke2

Unluckybloke2 New Member

You may want to avoid brands like Stearns & Foster or Simmons. Chain stores like Mattress Firm are to be kept off, too, for the better.

OTOH, Original Mattress Factory maintains transparency in regard to the quality of materials used in their products. Their products in the budget range are of better quality and value when compared with retail outlets or the bigger brands. They mostly use a higher quality polyurethane foam.

11. jimjim111

jimjim111 New Member

@Miller
    I have found that OMF's Orthopedic innerspring beds have less number of coils compared with their Regency innerspring. That really surprises and worries me considering that the Ortho is more expensive than Recency. How come?

12. trebla2010

trebla2010 New Member

Judging on the basis of number of coils could be very erroneous and this is a classic case of such misleading assessment. OMF's Orthopedic range of mattresses uses a superior coil compared with the Regency. Their web site says that the "Orthopedic" innerspring has OMF exclusive 12¾ gauge knotted offset coil with 6 turns. OTOH, it says the "Regency" innerspring has 14½ gauge offset coil with 5 turns. Note that 12¾ gauge is thicker than 14½ gauge and so it's stronger, and the coil in "Orthopedic" innerspring is knotted. OMF claims their Orthopedic mattresses offer superior comfort, support and durability.

Hope that helps.

13. jurjenkoopmans124

jurjenkoopmans124 New Member

Three months ago we bought an Orthopedic Extra Firm in King size from Original Mattress Factory to replace our older Stearns & Foster mattress. We found the sleep quality really very good. Following their recommendations, we turned and rotated the mattress. But still, there are already inch-deep impressions on both the left and the right sides of the mattress. Now it looks worse than our old Stearns & Foster. We called OMF and they said they would pick it up from our place. They asked us to come over to the factory and see them dismantle it to check for defects. They are trying their best to help us and give us a satisfying experience, but we are not sure we are going.