Neti Pot Death - danger from brain eating amoeba??

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by effer, Apr 17, 2017.

1. effer

effer New Member

What would be a safe way for me to use and store my Neti pot?

I heard some years ago that there have been sudden deaths that were probably caused by neti pot use.

2. TheKnight

TheKnight New Member

Wash and dry your hands; make sure your net pot is completely dry; use distilled or sterile water, tap water that's been boiled and cooled, or filtered water where the filter has 1 micron or smaller pore size; and after use, wash it with the same kind of water; dry it with a paper towel or let it dry in the air.

HTH

3. Kingston

Kingston New Member

My CPAP humidifier gets regularly filled only with distilled water. I disinfect the machine once a week.

4. ragtag

ragtag New Member

There was an interesting article some time back that asks you to use distilled water and air dry your neti pot to prevent ameba in the tap water from getting into your nose. I used to think tap water is chlorinated to kill all kinds of germs! :confused:

A report had quoted a health official as having said that if you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution, adding that tap water was safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose and that it was also important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry.

5. rubyclifton

rubyclifton New Member

Untreated tap water may contain the brain-eating ameba Naegleria fowleri that causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a disease of the central nervous system. The microbe enters the nose and travels to the sinuses.

I think this bug likes healthy children and young people, maybe those who have weak defenses.

6. SleepMaster

SleepMaster Administrator
    Staff Member

Just use a nasal irrigation system. Its available on Amazon :)

7. sunkissed23

sunkissed23 New Member

As a kid I once lived with a rancher for some time. We drank water from small pools in the field. Didn't people drink water from small streams running down the countryside all the time? I am told those mountain regions are full of the giardia parasite today.