Neilmed Sinus Rinse Microwave Disinfection

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by Miley, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Miley

Miley New Member

Hi friends,

I have a small doubt. I regularly use NeilMed Sinus Rinse for unclogging my nose. I clean by microwaving the bottle for nearly 2 minutes at the highest setting possible. I have done this for a few months now. My question is whether I can use the same technique for my mask or water reservoir. I have a Swift™ FX for Her, and my humidifier is HumidAire 2i.

2. softsleeper

softsleeper New Member

I would suggest you not to nuke the mask and water reservoir. You would end up messing the microwave.

3. nahla

nahla New Member

The Swift FX series nasal pillows have silicone in it, so not clear how would it react to the microwave. As for the humidifier, the new ResMed HumidAire 2iC Tub has plastic bottom…so if you have that, then you can go ahead.

4. Miley

Miley New Member

I have 30951 series.

5. nahla

nahla New Member

Then you cannot microwave it. It has got metal, so using it in your nuker would result in the nuker ending up in the landfill.

6. steve123

steve123 New Member

I think more than a microwave; the NeilMed bottle gets disinfected due to washing it with water and mild soap. Moreover, there is no need to microwave your mask since it need not be sterile. Regular washing with mild soap and warm water is enough. As for the water reservoir, rinsing with simple vinegar and water mix and air drying it would be sufficient.

7. Miley

Miley New Member

Thanks to all for the feedback. I guess using mild soap and warm water would be enough for the mask and vinegar for the water tank.

8. Roger-That

Roger-That New Member

That would be one expensive cleaning solution. I think Grey Goose should be used only for internal purposes.:tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

On a serious note, I clean my mask and humidifier once a week in the dishwasher. I set it at sanitize and one extra rinse cycle. That’s it. I have used this technique for years. When the mask starts losing shape, I get a new one.

One suggestion that I would give is if your insurance permits…buy one extra pair of masks, mask part and humidifier chamber. You can use one set for a week, clean it and let it air dry and during this time, you can use the other set. This way your accessories would last long enough.

9. amok

amok New Member

More than microwaving, I think air drying the mask and the humidifier chamber would do the trick.

10. Adelynn

Adelynn New Member

For spic and span mask and reservoir, you can try Grey Goose! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

11. Allyson

Allyson New Member

I agree with others that microwaving the mask is not a good idea for a very simple reason that some parts would get heated up quickly, while other parts would take time to get heated up, so you would end up keeping the mask in the nuker for an extended period than it is required.

12. SleepingBeauty

SleepingBeauty New Member

Use DISTILLED WATER in the chamber, clean it once a week with simple vinegar and water mix, wipe the mask with baby wipes and let them air dry…this has been my routine and it has held me in good stead till now. BTW........I have been using CPAP machine for more than 15 years now.

I think you can try this technique.