Morgedal foam mattress & Ikea Sultan Torod Topper combo needs cover

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Kim, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

Hello everyone. I have a problem that I think could be resolved through means of this brilliant platform. I feel like I should’ve done some additional research before I impulsively bought Morgedal mattress but what can I say? It spoke to me. Top that with a Sultan Torod topper, and we have ourselves a winner. I know that the feel of any mattress depends entirely on personal likes and what not, but I got to say that it felt that it was a match made in heaven. Our main issue with our current spring mattress is that in less than three years it has started to give in :(.

I cannot tell you how squished I feel while sleeping directly on this mattress, so we decided to get a topper. The mistake we made was to go with a memory foam topper that somehow the salesperson managed to talk us into and while the first few days were good, the feeling of sleeping directly on wet sand brought anguish to the both of us. Plus, I am pretty sure a spring mattress that is already squishy would not perform the best coupled with a memory foam topper. Sigh, what were we thinking?

I had no idea that people discussed these issues before purchasing, else I would’ve come here. Either way, my boyfriend and I spent a few nights in an Airbnb rental and OMG. Their mattress was so firm and comfortable, so we decided it was time for a change. On to a firmer mattress, but which one? One of our couple friends, who are crazy environmentalists, suggested we tried the latex mattresses.

So as soon as we got this suggestion, we figured, what the hell, why not try them out at Ikea? That’s precisely what we did; we spent a good three hours jumping around on different mattresses, feeling the comfort and warmth it extended but felt we’d need to couple it with a nice topper.

We only tried three combinations, but this was the only one we found ideal, so we bought them instantaneously. Since we made our purchase from Ikea, figured it wouldn’t hurt considering they have cool return policies and return the Morgedal now and then when it softened and used the latex mattress for a prolonged period?

What do you guys think of this?

2. BobTran

BobTran New Member

I think I will voice in my opinion right before the experts jump in, ‘cuz you know that’s the legit guidance you need, but I am just expressing common courtesy of warning you what I went through. So we too were in a dilemma of buying a latex mattress, debating whether or not we should get something that is super expensive but decided to go with Ikea because they are much more reasonable and have some fancy offers. Please remember that you cannot return these mattresses and only “exchange” policies work with them.

Anyway, we also went with the Morgedal mattress because while all latex mattresses are better, it was a bit of a tad to our liking. Your friends being nature lovers would have suggested something that was not Ikea, because I’m not entirely sure of the actual “natural” product they make use of. Either way, we got it without a cover and just used one that we bought off from mattresses.net. From what I know, the topper that comes with the mattress is not washable or waterproof, which are both two properties that we needed. Has yours arrived yet?

3. Kim

Kim New Member

Hi, @BobTran and thanks for your response. Yes, it has arrived but is currently going through the break-in process. We left it out to breathe, and it’s been just a few hours since it’s come. It’s nice from what we can gather, but of course, we cannot speak of the sleeping experience because we haven’t slept on it yet.

I know that Ikea is a genuinely good company with interest in what people are in search of. I was wondering if buying a topper that is of such high quality even a good option? I mean is this idea in itself ideal is my question. See, my goals in the future is to replace the foam mattress with another one as and when it softens, because chances of it softening are high, considering that it’s made of memory foam and it’s from Ikea (lol).

One thing I figured from this mattress+topper combination is that it would be more reasonable, considering that most of the toppers cannot be removed from their mattresses. This is something I was dreading but from what I gather is an easy task for me. A separate topper would probably be better in the long run, especially since it’s of high quality.

The latex topper that we coupled with this mattress is $350, and we have intentions of making it last until we die (haha). However, the first thing I tried as soon as it reached was taking off the cover, and I was so depressed to find out that it is not detachable. I mean, there’s this random zipper that does not serve its purpose because there are buttons sewn into the latex. What do you think I should do? Return this for another model that has a detachable topper?

The one good thing about this mattress, however, is that my husband has severe allergies and bringing in a latex mattress is a major upgrade. I am assuming that all natural latex mattresses are allergy-friendly, and on a side note, they only mentioned the latex mattress. They did not say Morgedal and definitely would not approve if we say we bought our mattress from Ikea.

I am just wondering that since we needed a topper that is washable, does that make the other perks useless? Man, I am so ashamed to submit this post because I scared of that I may come off as super stupid. You guys are pretty much mattress experts with a knowledge of a lifetime versus me who is definitely illiterate in the area. I can’t seem to find my way around this decision so that any insight would be super helpful.

4. BobTran

BobTran New Member

Well, that’s a fact you’ll have to live with or change if it’s a major factor in your preferences. To me, no, I wouldn’t throw it out considering the washable property does not factor in. Either way, if you want a topper that is suitable for the mattress, I’d suggest the mattresses.net or KTT that is a great place to look for some washable toppers that come with competitive prices (half of what you paid). For our Morgedal, we got a bed bug proof topper that could be removed easily from mattresses.net because we live in New York and a sketchy area. Just to be on the safe side, you know, we figured it was inevitable.

5. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Before I begin, I’d like to say that you did a great job in finding something you like. Yeah, as @BobTran mentioned, they do not have a return policy so if you find out that Ikea is not your cup of tea, then you are pretty much stuck with it. They do have an attractive exchange policy and a trial period of 90 days, which is cool. I see the logic behind your decision of exchanging the mattress when you feel like it’s giving in, but this softening process of the foam only kicks in after the trial/exchange period, so factor that in.

The ideal topper for any mattress is quite the challenge to find, so I am glad you found yours. Most people ask for suggestions, but the fact is that you have to find it ideal for your sleeping conditions, and need it to match your PPP (posture+alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Your advantage here is that you don’t have to go through any additional trouble of finding out which one would be most suitable for your mattress, so kudos there. Another great factor of your option is that you needn’t replace the entire mattress when it gives in. Plus, when you have already chosen a topper, chances are your likes and preferences sort of match the feeling of the topper. Here, when your needs change with time (or if the mattress softens), you can always get rid of the mattress alone, concerning your needs and the other part of your sleeping system is fixed. Yes, note that all memory foam mattress will tend to soften or break with time and this is only natural.

Sometimes companies use low-quality memory foam in their construction processes, making these mattresses more prone to this breakage. It is a common trend seen in the market today that many big brands have taken charge of. Pretty depressing really, considering that good quality memory foam is a good material to sleep on and have in mattresses. The softening process always begins in the topmost layer, which is the most prone to softening, because it is the weakest link of the mattress. Stuff this with the low-quality material, and you’re guaranteed a mattress that will break down sooner than expected.

The reason behind this top-to-bottom approach of softening to occur is because the top layers are where the most compression occurs. Most of the forces that are applied onto the surface are absorbed by this layer. A topper will be effective in protecting the materials that are present underneath. Note, however, that the durability of anything can only be foretold by the quality of the materials used in its construction. Price has little to do with this. Apart from this, there are factors such as where the layers are placed on the mattress if they are in contact with each other and whatnot.

There is no need to apologize for sounding utterly ridiculous even, because that’s exactly what this platform is for: a safe space where you can ask anything you like :) besides, no one is perfect, and everyone here will agree that we are all smack right in the middle of a rather steep learning curve, so you’re not in this alone.

6. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I am afraid that since Morgedal is a one-sided mattress, it does not possess the additional perks of being able to flip it around on a regular basis to increase its durability in the long run, which is often the case for a two-sided mattress. Unfortunately for you, this is not an option, considering that it is one-sided, so the option of it being flipped at all is out of the picture.

I am not too sure why you are so persistent about getting the ideal topper. A majority of customers I know just use an ideal protector for the mattress (which mind you, are easily removable and can be washed by any means), so it’s not a complete necessity to clean the topper on a regular basis. This, of course, is not inclusive of spot cleaning. I would second what @Kim said about mattresses.net and KTT having some great options for toppers, in case you are in search of a different feeling topper or maybe something that is not completely latex? Check it out anyway; you’ll get a kick out of it, considering the prices they have to offer and their purchase values.

I must warn you, however, that making such a purchase does include a certain degree of uncertainty considering you are not personally checking it out, and it’s gelling in process with your mattress, so if I were you, I’d call them up and specify your mattress model to them and ask for some good options that would gel with this mattress. It’s what I’d do anyway. Since you might be in search of a different latex type topper, chances are the firmness levels will vary, changing the feel of what you felt in the first place altogether. Note that this is just a possibility and in no way am I specifying this will for sure happen to you.

One misconception you seemed to have was that bed bugs live within the material of the mattress, such as latex? This is not true. Surely latex is not bed bug proof, I don’t think anything is for that material, and this is simply because they do not necessarily generate their living areas in any particular material. Where they do appear is at the seams of the mattress or maybe some cracks and crevices in your wall. Further, if you keep your bed messy, then they find nice hiding places within the sleeping area itself. You can check out the different encasements available if you are looking for something that is bed bug proof.

7. Kim

Kim New Member

WHAT!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? I did not know that this mattress was not flippable. Strike 2. Man, I am easily regretting my decisions at this point right now, haha. Either way, I must say thank you to all of you! Great people indeed. I love how you all replied with so much interest and regard. Appreciate it guys. I think I would need some time to think about some alternatives, can anyone come up with what I should do next?

8. BobTran

BobTran New Member

Worry not @Kim, for even though Ikea does have some pretty shady return policies, they mean well. Either way, they do have some nice other models. I am sticking with mine, but from the enormous amount of research that I did, I know that Morgongava and Myrbacka are some usually sought after models. What about them, maybe they are ideal for your case :)

9. Kim

Kim New Member

OMG, you’re so right. Do you think these options are ideal? @sleepmaniac, can I please get your opinion on this? I guess my biggest mistake was blindly assuming that it is a memory foam mattress, it was easily flippable. Damn. Either way, you’re right, the other options that I just checked out are Morgongava and Myrbacka. Are they flippable?

10. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Yes, Morgongava is a two-sided model. I think that if you continue to stick with your mattress-topper duo, you have several advantages that I believe I’ve mentioned in the previous post.