Modafinil Not Working

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by dannylion, Oct 20, 2017.

1. dannylion

dannylion New Member

Hello friends,

My doctor has diagnosed me with hypersomnia, put me on CPAP; however, it did nothing for daytime somnolence. To address this, she put on Nuvigil 250 mg, which worked fine for 10 days after which I was back to my old self. My doctor changed my medication to Provigil 200 mg. This also worked fine for 10 days and then became ineffective. I tried stopping the drug for one week and then restarted it but still no useful result. I have told this to my doctor, and she has given me an appointment on the 27th of November. My moot point is if these drugs are not working, is there anything else which can be effective. My doctor had once suggested Ritalin, but I threw it out of the window because of its habit-forming tendency. Any ideas???

2. smithereens

smithereens New Member

Maybe, you should try a pseudoephedrine. My doc had diagnosed me with mild narcolepsy, we both decided that Provigil or Nuvigil would be a no-no mainly because of cost and insurance as well as my hatred to CNS stimulants in general. So I took one 12-hr tablet in the morning, and it has helped me to a great deal. Not saying this would work for you, but may be worth a shot. Also, why do not get your endocrine testing done, can help to reveal if you are low or high on something.

3. brooklyn1964

brooklyn1964 New Member

You still have many stimulants left, but not sure it would more effective like Provigil or Nuvigil, especially in those who have sleep deprivation. I was just wondering, did you take Nuvigil on an empty stomach and not take anything for the next half-an-hour. To be quite frank, I do not have hypersomnia though I am sleep apnea patient. I have heard many friends talking about these drugs, hence chipped in with my suggestions.

4. juxtaposition

juxtaposition New Member

I'm a bit worried about your hypersomnia diagnosis and you being given “–fil” drugs. Excessive sleepiness during daytime seems to be a catchall if doctors are unable to identify anything wrong with you. You can try different non-stimulant drugs. You should try to get to the root of the problem rather than letting doctors treat symptoms since these can recur again and the vicious cycle would start. BTW have you checked your CPAP numbers? If you have serious issues then, you can present these numbers to your sleep MD and get yourself upgraded to Bi-level.

5. silentSleeper

silentSleeper New Member

I agree with @juxtaposition, the best way to treat a problem would be to get to the root of the issue, see if there are any triggering events, episodes. It is very hard and takes a lot of testing, thinking and time, etc. I am sure your doctor would appreciate your efforts and might also aid in doing some research.

6. stiflex

stiflex New Member

I have heard a lot about adenosine being a very important player in regulating "sleep-wake" boundary. Adenosine can help a person to have a good sleep when it accumulates in the brain, though I am not sure if we have a test for checking concentrations levels and to what extent would adenosine "clears up" during a sleep cycle to come to a proper level when awake. Would be really nice if there is any research in this regard.

7. dannylion

dannylion New Member

I agree with @post#4 that hypersomnia is the final recourse when sleep doctors cannot find any other reason for sleepiness. My numbers are doing great, and I have already shown it to my doctor who says that sleep apnea is not the reason for my excessive daytime sleepiness, since all numbers are good and even AHI is 0.3, and I have lost around 55lbs, and have even undergone MSLT test to find out my EDS issue, and everywhere I hear hypersomnia as an answer. I was informed by my doctor to take Nuvigil on an empty stomach and avoid food for nearly an hour after taking the medication. I followed that to the “T.” I also exercise for 1 hour daily, including aerobics, weight training, etc. avoid all stimulants that can wake me up during night time, still have this issue…My doctor informed me that a minuscule percentage of CPAP users experience EDS even if their sleep apnea is under control. I guess I belong to the unlucky group.

8. Amalia

Amalia New Member

Good to know that your sleep apnea is under control and have undertaken all the test that can be taken. I can only suggest talking to your doctor about giving you some powerful stimulant for a short period till you can reach a normal level and then go for a maintenance dose. One thing with stimulants is that it does not work in the same way for two individuals and what can be a bane for one can turn out to be a boon for another. Wish you all the best for your next appointment.

9. AndTheMoon

AndTheMoon New Member

I feel that you should not take the powerful stimulant route as it can result in forming a habit and god forbid you might end up with another problem on hand. Check with your doctor if you can take mild sleeping aid, like Benadryl. Mind you, it can be a double-edged sword, and you can end up groggier during the day. Check with your doc if its okay.

10. dannylion

dannylion New Member

Thanks to all for the help and information. Would raise this during my appointment with the doctor and see what would come up.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord New Member

Just wondering if your hypersomnia is related to CPAP use? What I mean is your pressure might be high which can give you good, but an unrefreshed sleep which can raise its head as daytime somnolence. I once had some issues with daytime somnolence, my doctor and myself worked on getting my pressure from 14 to 10, and it has worked wonders for me, and my daytime somnolence is completely gone. It is certainly worth a shot.

12. Tarcea

Tarcea New Member

Apart from all the above mentioned, I think you should check your diet. It is said that excessive sugar can lead to EDS. My son was having daytime somnolence issues, and we focused on cutting down carbs like sugar which has helped him a lot. Not sure whether it would work fine for you, but can give a try.

13. superstump

superstump New Member

Also, there is one drug suvorexant that may help, just check with your doctor if it is suitable for you.