Lady Englander Pillow top mattress

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Addia, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Addia

Addia New Member

Hey all. Jim here! I have wanted to replace my current mattress for quite a while now, but in reality, the thought occurred to me a year ago, when I was visiting my relatives in Florida, and I slept on their super plush mattress. Now my current mattress is a Tempur-Pedic which had served me for five years now when my older mattress finally gave in. I remember squealing with joy when I awoke the first morning, for the experience beyond anything else.

I think my experiences are different from most others because I usually find new mattresses, no matter how different, to be most comfortable in the initial stages, which is weird because most mattresses expand and take a few days to let the materials in the mattress to “settle in.” Anyway, I got the Tempur-Pedic, and it was good for the first two years, even though it had softened a tad bit. I assumed this was because of the memory foam and as long as there was no premature sagging, I was good. Only now the sag factor has taken on a toll, and the mattress has softened to such an extent that it feels like I’m sleeping on a cloud and is uncomfortable. I can feel the support layer below.

Even though I was pretty much unfazed by it, a talk with my friend had me concerned. My friend, who blogs about mattresses, said that it was important that I change it, especially considering my age and everything, that I needed something with good support for my back.

I don’t have any serious back issues, but I won’t deny that my back often feels tender and sometimes extremely stiff when I awaken but never thought that it was perhaps because of the mattress. My friend convinced me to let the old mattress go, no matter how expensive, and finally, I decided to get a new one.

So I began my research. I looked past some of the major brands because I wasn’t ready to spend my cash on something that does not have any guarantee of lasting. I had my mind on the Sleep Science, and the latex model seemed interesting. However, upon trying it, I figured that latex was WAY too firm for me, perhaps because I was used to sleeping on clouds (literally). While I was searching online for other brands, I came across Englander brand and found one model interesting – especially pillow-top Lady Englander.

This made me walk down the memory lane, wherein I recall sleeping on this mattress at a fancy hotel once and remember waking up to the best night’s sleep. I even asked the receptionist about the mattress, and she said it was an Englander. I don’t remember what model she specified, but I remember being very pleased with its performance.

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had some first-hand experience with this brand? I am not sure because I’ve never seen any reviews anywhere about it either and don’t want to rush into getting a mattress from a brand I’d heard of only once before, with zero reviews.

2. lexinon

lexinon New Member

Hey @Addia, howz it going?

Now that you mention it, you’re right. It’s weird that there are so many hate posts about a thousand other brands, but barely anything about some of the best. Don’t get me wrong, I am not promoting this brand in any way, but I have been using an orthopedic mattress from their Tension Ease collection for over five years now with zero complaints. They have some of the best choices I’ve seen in my life.

I don’t know how much you’ve researched, but when I was about to buy this mattress, the customer care was not very helpful. That said they are extremely friendly and amiable, they make sure to listen to your complaints completely at first, and only after they’ve confirmed that you’re done, will they continue with their insight. It’s brilliant.

I call them at least once a year to ask them some random queries that pops into my head, but that’s just me being precautious. I prefer just going there, getting their insight, trying it out, like it and then expecting nothing. Instead, I spend a good number of hours on many forums (not just mattresses), read up on all the concerns and complaints that customers have and make up scenarios in my head that the possibility exists wherein the mattress might just die on me sometime soon.

They have only four mattress range, but let me tell you all are good. My favorite, however, is the orthopedic mattress from Tension Ease range. It supports my back and lulls me to sleep. I cannot explain the amount of back support I get from it. Anyone can sleep on this mattress without experiencing back pain or tenderness or soreness, which is its major perk. I had undergone a back surgery at the time, and my back was extremely tender, so I needed something that would support my back well. I had gone to the retail chain, and after hearing my requirements, I was advised this mattress. It has served me well till now.

I may be just a bit biased with this decision BECAUSE I have been using it for so long now, but honestly, it is a choice worth making, especially considering the price but more importantly the value of the purchase. There isn’t even a hint of sagging or softening of the mattress either, and I’m fairly certain that it will last me a decade, at the least. Plus, they have an amazing warranty so if you do experience an issue, just switch it in for a newer model.

Besides the Tension Ease range, they have a hybrid mattresses range, a line of E-gel mattresses, which provides a cool surface for sleeping on, and lastly, they also have a hotel line, which consists of many hotel mattresses that are reversible and have great value.

3. Addia

Addia New Member

Thanks for your insight, @lexinon. This is precisely what I was looking for, thank you! I am so tired of asking questions and having people reply with what the official website says. I mean, I am not ancient, I know how to access the official website myself, you know? But thank you for your honest feedback, which involves your personal experience, I am thrilled and honestly a little excited at this point because now I am 20% more sure that this is, in fact, the mattress I’m in search of.

That said, I just talked to my spouse about this mattress, and she seems fine with it as long as she got to try it out at the retail store first, which is fine by me. But since we are a team, I guess it’s only fair that we both fall in love with it, rather than just myself. I hope she likes it though because if not, we are back to square one and I am so sick of reading up on mattresses, to be honest. It’s such a hassle and could just use some help.

From the experience that I’ve had so far, I remember talking to my spouse about the innerspring mattresses and how they would benefit our particular situation. My wife travels a lot for work and interacts mostly with third-world countries, and she said that her experience there, on mattresses, was entirely different. From what she could say, they made use of good quality steel in their coils which were firm enough to support any weight brought down upon it, while covering them with layers of foam on the top, so that they can in some way, “mask” the firmness that can be felt from the support layers. So all in all, it is a good sleeping experience, where the support system is very much intact, and the use of good quality steel makes sure that the durability is elongated, as well as the comfort layers topped with memory foam makes it very soft.

I have not had any experience with mattresses from these places, but I believe that Englander too makes use of this? My only concern is that, since foam is present in the comfort layers, will the durability last shorter? From what @lexinon has shared with us, even after so many years, there’s no sign of sagging or softening of the mattress, so that must be a good sign right? Perhaps they make use of high-quality memory foam or poly foam in the comfort layers, which makes it less susceptible to softening? I sure hope so. I guess what I’m looking for can be described as a mattress that is not too firm, but definitely on the medium firmness scale.

4. lexinon

lexinon New Member

This is a rather common misconception amongst most customers’ @Addia. You do realize that the coils used are not hard by design, the hardness is taken from the additional layers of hard pads or even foam layers that are stretched upon it? Coils are never left as a single layer in itself and work best when it’s paired with some other material, such as foam. This consideration of the coils being a good support system should be most effective to you if you are on the heavier side and worried that the more you sleep on your mattress, the more you will sink to the bottom layers, which will be prevented. Also, if you are a side sleeper, development of pressure points, too can be avoided.

5. Addia

Addia New Member

I am not sure I understand you completely. You mention that the coils in itself are not responsible for the firmness of the support system. How is that even possible? I thought that them being individually wrapped in either of the materials was just to provide it with a competitive edge. Also, they are made of steel so doesn’t that in itself answer the question about where the “strength” comes from. I mean, why even bother using high-quality steel for the coils if they are not the ones responsible for the strength (right?). I’m all confused again, which sucks considering I did believe a while ago that I had attained nirvana. Ugh.

Either way, my question is this - I think that the Englander is known to have a high gauge coil in the core of the mattress, yes? For this mattress, to provide a certain give for a side sleeper, would a latex topper or a latex+foam topper be more ideal? From what you’ve said in your post, these coils are wrapped around with either of these materials, and that’s the part that gives the firmness.

Why else would they say that some coils are firmer than others? And what about the lighter/firmer gauge coils? To me, I figured the firmness of any coil came from the way they were bound together. Plus there are also so many reviews that talk about the number of coils in the mattress that has a lot to do with the durability of the mattress, apparently? Is a mattress with a higher number of coils is somehow supposed to be better? Pardon me if I’m straying off topic, I just want to try to understand the essence of your post, but I am fairly certain I am completely lost. Doesn’t the wire used for the coils also play an important role? Just curious.

6. lexinon

lexinon New Member

Haha, I like how it has become more of a conversation than a forum discussion. Others, please do not feel like you’re intruding and can jump in at any point. The point you make is valid, just that there is a bit of both worlds involved. I didn’t mean that the firmness came entirely from the material it is used to wrap around the coils with, I merely meant that as the coils are not visible as such, there’s no way of saying where the actual firmness comes from. The backbone of the mattress is provided by the steel, no doubt, which is why the more quality it possesses, the longer chances of its durability extending.

There are different types of coils, and some coils are known to be more conforming or have a firmer feel in general. Let me tell you my experience with innerspring mattresses thus far, and maybe you will be able to understand the point I wish to make. My previous mattress (Lura-Flex®) had an open offset coil system which was nice and conforming to the natural curvature of the body, but something was lacking.

I remember replacing this with a Simmons mattress that had pocketed coils which were individually wrapped to give an additional feel. For some reason, I felt that the conformity that I received from this mattress was just too much, way more than the old mattress and while I felt that one is a little too less conforming, this was more.

That said, I’ve also tried a conventional innerspring mattress that makes use of Bonnell coils, which are the standard coils used for these mattresses. Lura-Flex® was more conforming than the Bonnell. But as I explained, this has more to do with the overall count of coils within the mattress. For me, it just appeared that with the Lura-Flex®, there weren’t enough gauge coils. That said, the count can stay the same within two separate mattresses and still have different feels. Both Lura-Flex® and mattress using Bonnell had a gauge count of 14 but still offered very different feels.

Each company is very diverse when it comes to the number of coils within each of the mattress, and the type of coils used, different gauges, everything. What I was trying to imply by stating the pad around it is simply this – there is a level of firmness or softness that can be provided using this very padding. A certain padding can be used if the coils must appear soft, and some may be harder if the padding suits that necessity. Some use a negligible amount of padding, (some use none at all) so that the customers can feel the coils in the support layer, which believe it or not, is sometimes what the customers want. Just like some want to feel the layers of latex/memory foam below them without adding too much padding in the comfort layers, this is also a thing. The sinkage towards the bottom level is possible, causing them to feel the firmness of the coils within the support layer with relative ease.

This is a purely subjective matter, and there’s no explanation as to why anyone would like it. To this very mattress, if a plush memory foam topper is added, what will result is the diminishing of the firmness from the coils and a layer of comfort.

7. amarkumar

amarkumar New Member

Honestly, I thought this would be the ideal choice for me as well. It turns out I was so entirely wrong. I don’t know what you guys are discussing about, I just know that I saw you mention Lura-Flex® and I decided to chime in. I’ve had quite the experience with it. I did try out the mattress at the store and found it comfortable, but as it turns out, the experience I had with the mattress once I got it home was entirely excruciating. The issue was not that it felt too firm or anything, the problem existed in that it was way too conforming to my body. I felt like I was being sucked in and the feeling of claustrophobia would often wash upon me, making me highly uncomfortable. I even made a post (in another forum), wherein I tried various techniques to give some additional firmness to the mattress because isn’t that what is usually expected of an innerspring mattress? At least it is what I expected; that and some nice bounce.

As it turns out, in my oblivious attempt to firm up the mattress, I didn’t realize that I’d end up making it as hard as a rock, which doesn’t work for me either. In fact, after this, I quite obviously regretted my decision and wished I hadn’t started it in the first place. Could’ve just gotten used to the sunken in feeling and moved on with my life. I woke up with horrible backaches the following nights and decided it was time to soften it up again. I got a nice foam topper, which was super comfortable but only 2 inches in thickness.

Now while it was a definite relief for my back, I could still feel the steel like feeling up against my back, and I am not sure if it’s because I am a relatively light sleeper or what, but there was this level of pushback I experienced from the mattress that was super hard on my body. When I talked to my boyfriend about it, he said that I should just get a topper that was a little thicker so that the feeling of firmness would become negligible. Surely enough, I did that and got myself a 6-inch topper that was all foam and oh my, did I sleep like a log. It was super comfortable, and I think that the thickness of the topper was the real cherry on the top of the perfect sleep system.

However, this happiness didn’t last for long until a few days later; I got this weird feeling every time I lied down on the mattress, uncertain of the reason. While the topper was a load off my back (literally) and relieved all the pressure points, I realized that the overall feeling of the mattress had been compromised. The only person to blame was me, for I went on a rampage and did everything within my control to make it a better sleeping experience, instead of just consulting the customer care and explaining my problem. I figured that there are just some combinations that do not work and it’s always best to give up while you’re ahead.

All I know for certain right now is that I am stuck with a mattress combination that includes foam, latex and some super firm base in the foundation, but the worst part is, I am not able to tell which layer is creating the issue which is most frustrating, because I am an engineer who likes to create solutions to my problems. All I know for sure is that the cement base does not work well with the plush foams.

8. katszy

katszy New Member

Hey guys, I am not sure which mattress @Addia finally ended up with and am quite antsy to find out. Maybe because I too was considering the Englander brand for quite some time now and just purchased it a couple of days ago. Like @lexinon said, many different lines have come up in the recent past, and one of them was Lady Englander, which was super classy in my opinion. Now it is offered as a part of Classic Sleep Products. It is the newest 21st Century line in the brand and honestly is said to have some of the beefiest of springs in the industry. This I was particularly excited about and made several trips to try them out, and I felt that they were a little firmer than I’d hoped for, but that didn’t stop me from getting it.

In fact, it only made my decision a little more confirmed because I’ve read that getting a firm mattress is never wrong, considering there are so many options you can consider to soften it up.

I spent a good amount of my time talking to the salesperson, discussing the mattress dynamics and such and the base is super strong and can easily last you (at least) a decade or two, and some customers can vouch for this, which just made my trust in them double. I also admire their employees because they are so honest and will talk to you for as long as you want, help you decide in the mattress you’re in search of, even if they get the feeling you want to take your business elsewhere. This mattress also has a glorious ten years of warranty period which just proves how great the material is.

Apart from this, the information I was able to get about the mattress was very detailed, most of which went right over my head but I had a basic idea when I entered the market, and it was simply this – I have the intention of getting a super firm mattress in the base, with any amount of padding in order to get the support system that I was in search of.

From my past few purchases, I have a fair idea about the amount of comfort I would seek and have already gotten two toppers to do the job. Many people have had serious conversations with me about how that is not the right approach to buy a mattress, but who can blame me? Honestly, considering all things and everything that I’ve read on the internet, I am surprised I am even buying a mattress from any brand over a local manufacturer who would dedicate his life and soul to my dream mattress. Honestly, the best way to get your dream mattress is through means of personal customization.

When I know the level of comfort that I like and just need a good support system to back it up, how can anyone say that I would intentionally be making the wrong decision? I disagree, and honestly, I can’t remember the last time I slept so well :) Plus this works for me in the long run. If I have trouble with the comfort layer or if there is too much sagging or softening, then throw out the topper, which I got for under 100 bucks, and get another one. This is so much better than having to toss out the mattress I got five years ago when I can make it last a few decades.

9. amarkumar

amarkumar New Member

Sorry, I just saw this post and thought it was worth acknowledging. I think you’ve got it all wrong. What @lexinon merely meant by that was simply this – surely some coils have varying levels of firmness. Some are firmer than others, and these firmer coils are not what firm mattress depends on to give a harder level of upholstery. This level is not considered while they are trying to add firmness to the mattress, is what that means. Definitely, by nature, some coils are softer than the others, and a lighter coil may or may not be softer than a harder gauge, but this depends entirely on the way the coils have been designed, and also the number of coils immersed into the mattress.

You had also asked about whether the way the coils are tied together will make a difference in how the coil might feel. Absolutely. The design of the coil plays the most important role and depending on that, and some external factors, the feel of the coil may differ, either firm or soft. Note that other factors also play an essential role in deciding this.

10. katszy

katszy New Member

We bought the Tension Ease model of the Englander and are pretty happy with the results. It is made of pocketed coils, and is way up on the firmness scale, with a particular plushness to it. For now, since the mattress is a little too firm for my liking, we are trying to find the perfect comfort level that will match this support system. Not everything goes with this support system, so trial and error is the only way of truly finding out. We did buy the Lady Englander but had it returned before it even arrived because there were some heavy duty springs that were involved with this, so we decided to go a different way.

This threw us off because we had to start right from the beginning and didn’t have much knowledge as to what we were going for as a backup option. I did some reading up and found that most people found latex to be very firm, which for me would be just right, considering that we have also only ever used foam before.

It turned out to have just the firmness that I was looking for, that would provide me with a good level of support in the core. As it turns out, the latex wasn’t right for us. We started waking up with severe backaches, even after using our toppers and everything, which is a real shame. So when we went to return it, we were interested to find out that there was no refund policy, but an only exchange. Ticked me off to my very core, but what can we do right?

I mean, we were pretty sure after this that getting the Lady Englander would be the right choice, but unfortunately, they didn’t have this line in the store, which was SUCH A SHAME. Also, we wanted to ignore anything that had pillow-tops since it had additional padding which is built in, taking out the essence of the mattress. Plus, from what I’ve read online, I know that they have a higher tendency of breaking down easily and are not made with the high-quality material, so we knew for a fact that we were steering clear of that. Plus why do that, when we can just add a layer of our own.

The salesperson told us that this was a common tendency many customers indulged in, making their comfort layer. They would customize this top layer according to their likes without having to dispose off of the mattress even if felt uncomfortable. That’s pure genius.

Also, just a general tip, if you’re on the heavier side, and you find that a latex/memory foam mattress doesn’t work out for you, the Englander might just be the right choice for you. Plus this mattress is super supportive of our bodies, and there is like zero motion transfer, which I love.