Ikea Myrbacka latex mattress review

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Eoj Nawoh, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh New Member

Greetings, everybody

I am glad I can be part of this forum because it is so chatty and alive all the time, which is why I think this is the perfect opportunity for me to bring up my problem. I reckon that the mattress experts of this forum will be able to help me though because I need some advice on which mattress is better, I guess you could say a comparison (sort of?).

So the story goes like this – my hubby and I have been in search of a new mattress for a while now because our old mattress is getting a little raggedy, but still very much doable. We have had some serious conversations as to whether or not we even needed this new investment, and honestly, I think we do.

Our old mattress, though still as comfortable as ever is aesthetically speaking, horrific. We had guests over the other night, and they took a peek at our mattress, and I kid you not, the lady friend gasped. Now, my husband doesn’t seem bothered by this, but it took a serious hit at me because technically she was gasping at what we lived with. I know that shouldn’t matter, but let’s be honest, any mattress that has lived for longer than seven years is a goner. However, we are not throwing it away, just keeping it in our spare room for now. I don’t have his good vote on this, so our budget is very tight, which is why I have to make harsh decisions (even if it’s $100 cheaper) and could use some insight as to whether I’m headed in the right direction.

Anyway, I dragged my husband and went to IKEA today (because they have the prices I cannot refuse), and we were able to test a couple of mattresses. Since our other mattress is memory foam, we decided to steer a different direction this time and figured it wouldn’t hurt to try out latex. I’m relatively new to the mattress world as such, but one thing I have noticed is the increasing trend of getting latex mattresses, because of its green property, which is all fine by me, but there’s no way in I’m getting a 100% natural latex mattress for like $5k (just don’t have that kind of money). So we found two interesting mattresses, from MYRBACKA – a foam and a latex mattress.

Even though we were very happy with the latex mattress, upon further studying, we found out that it was just a layer of latex on top, and the rest was polyfoam, which made sense, given its price. Now I’m not sure using a mattress with just the top layer is green, but if it is no better than a memory foam mattress, I don’t see the point in spending the extra in the first place. Any Help Please….

2. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum @Eoj Nawoh

You seem to be very confused about your purchase. While we can look up on the net for the type of mattress which you mentioned, have you got any link or photos for the mattress so that we can help you?

3. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh New Member

You bet, I’m confused.

I have a link - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00272171/.

This link is the exact mattress that we saw at the store and instantly fell in love with. I’m just glad we didn’t buy it right then and there because we found out later that it is mostly polyfoam. What confuses me further is that in their cutout display section, you can see that the foam and latex layer are mushed together in one layer. So what exactly do they mean when they say that the top layer is latex? I am confused beyond levels I can explain and was hoping you could help me.

Either way, this was the only mattress that my husband and I truly enjoyed the feel of, while receiving the perfect amount of support from the bottom layers as well (don’t know much about poly foam’s durability but I am sure hoping it sticks around for a bit). Oh, one thing I do remember is that we tried out the Morgongava model, which was all latex, and honestly, I am not sure how people sleep on that. This is one thing that made us go back to memory foam over latex because I have read around that latex is not the most comfortable, and we are in no state to be experimenting.

Oh while at it, could you also please give a comparison between the Myrbacka mattress and Tuft&Needle mattress based on their specifications to help me figure out which one is better? I had my eye of the T&N for a while now, but along came Myrbacka and ruined my little plan, so I’m back to confused now. Also, since the Myrbacka is cheaper than the T&N (in king size), I am definitely leaning towards that. Even so, I would like a comparison, because if T&N is much better than the Myrbacka in terms of quality and durability, I am willing to spend the extra. If possible, Casper as well, because my husband is willing to get that mattress, if we even need one, to begin with (he claims). Thanks so much for your help, in advance.

4. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hi @Eoj Nawoh, welcome to the forum.

With regard to your query about the MYRBACKA latex layer, it is a very thin layer of latex. You asked for a comparison post between the three mattresses you’d narrowed it down to. I’m sorry to say but each one of them is more different than the other, and concerning their specifications, there is no way to tell which one is better since they vary so vastly in their compositions. Not only that, their overall designs, the construction materials also vary, hence their PPP and comfort levels will be different with regard to one another. So unless you try them out yourself (through means of personal testing), there’s no way to tell which one will be most suitable to you, because a sleeper’s needs depend largely on their personal preferences. It cannot be based on facts that come along with their construction materials. That is merely a way to tell whether or not the mattress will be durable enough. The only way you can find out which one suits your needs best is going and trying each one of them out. I suggest you write down a list of how each mattress satisfies you the best and judge it based off of that. But I can give you a brief description of each mattress since you asked for it (that will include the construction specifications).
    • MYRBACKA: It is made of 6” of (synthetic) latex in its comfort layer which rests atop of the support layer, made of 3” of polyfoam (with a density of 2.2 lb). This construction layout was customized to provide the ideal “latex” feel to the sleeper and to add the property of resilience, but since they use synthetic latex instead of natural, the resilience in this Dunlop latex layer is much lesser than any other natural Dunlop layer. This comparison is up against other construction material mostly, which is why they claim that this use of material adds to the resilience of the mattress. Either way, whatever latex is being used is synthetic, so don’t bother buying it if you’re willing to “go green” because this is the farthest thing from it.
    • The T&N mattress: It makes use of a comfort layer of an HP polyfoam that is 2.8 lb dense, and a support layer of polyfoam that is 1.8 lb dense. Note that the poly foam in the comfort layer is less resilient than any other type of foam, but still far better than memory foam.
    • Casper mattress: They make use of a synthetic latex layer on top, and rests atop 4 lb dense memory foam layer. This is so that there is the feeling of being resilient on top (since it uses latex) but at the same time, offers that feeling of sinking into your mattress from the memory foam in the bottom layers. This is enhanced with the thin layer of latex used in the comfort layer, making it have a slower response to the feel.
    But like I said, these factors do not say much about relative firmness which could’ve helped me with your comparison post. Also, it’s important to know that none of these mattresses use low-quality products in their construction process, so they are all fairly durable (without being able to tell which one might last longest). Also, none of them have low-quality products in their weak links as well, so the chances of the mattress sagging or softening are negligible (anytime soon, at least). The weak link of the mattress is the comfort layer (just in case you were unaware), and using any low-quality products in this layer would often cause it to soften/sag at a faster rate, reducing the longevity of your mattress, and thereby affecting the durability.

5. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh New Member

Thank you @sleepmaniac for your reply, which as always was super helpful. I did not know about the weak links (still not entirely sure I understand) but thank you for explaining it with such zest and zeal. I wish I were as passionate about my job; it’s truly commendable. While digging deeper, I came across a site where pictures of various mattresses were shown. There were some sentences/words which were quite confusing, and I would be glad if you could help me with it. They have mentioned that the latex layer in the MYRBACKA is left unzipped, and also that this sample is half the length of the actual mattress.

Then they mention that their process of zoning is not visible as such atop of the latex layer, but polyfoam is stuck to the bottom layer, so they weren’t able to take a picture to demonstrate. This confused me because I wasn’t sure what they were trying to bring across with this description (which I got from the MYRBACKA picture).

Do they mean that the polyfoam that is in the support layers is zoned separately along the different layers of the mattress to promote the adequate amount of support for different body parts that apply varying pressure on to the mattress? Sorry if that made zero sense, but correct me if I’m wrong. Also, if there is anything you can tell me about synthetic latex that I should be looking out for? I don’t think I’m allergic to it, but is it possible to catch an allergy if you’ve never used it before? Also, from a comfort aspect, I have tried it out for a few minutes but never slept on a latex layer (especially since it is present in the top layer, I’m getting a little antsy).

Isn’t latex most durable when compared to other mattress infused materials? What about synthetic latex? Does it make it less durable?

6. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Well to give you an example, Ikea in a model called Mountaintop uses seven different zones. I think you should read up few posts in different forums to get an idea of zones and if you have any questions, you can ask me. Now you ask whether the Myrbacka will be comfortable since you’ve never used latex. See, comfort is purely subjective, and honestly, I could spend an hour talking to you about how it feels, but there’s no saying that you will feel the same way about it. It is true that a common saying is that latex is not for everybody, and this statement holds true because there are so many people who shift to latex and realize that they are uncomfortable with it.

On the other hand, some people instantly fall in love, even if they’ve never used it before and cannot imagine parting ways with it. Life’s funny like that. Hence it’s not possible for me to tell you whether it will be comfortable for you. I assure you that you won’t have the issues that most people have with latex mattresses because you have just a small layer of it in the comfort layer. Yes, it may just appear a tad bit firmer than what you’re used to (especially since you’ve been using memory foam until now), but nothing a few days won’t diminish. Give it some time to grow on you, and you’ll be happy you chose it.

Then again, if you’re used to super plushy and cannot stand even the tiniest amount of firmness, I am not sure you will find this comfortable. One thing I can assure you, MYRBACKA makes use of latex in its comfort layer for longer durability because they use high-quality latex (albeit, synthetic) in this layer and hence the chances of this mattress softening or sagging anytime soon is negligible. This is what everybody looks for in the long run. I have seen people use this mattress for five to six years with zero complaints. Of course, there were some who complained about it being overly firm in the initial stages, but that’s nothing a comforter or a mattress pad can’t combat. Give it a go, especially if you’re looking for a mattress now. Keep in mind though that IKEA does not have a refund policy.

Also, note that your friends or relatives who have talked to you about latex may have liked it or not, but different people have different reactions to various blends of latex (since yours is not natural, there’s no telling about the exact composition), so the only way to find out whether it suits you is through means of personal testing. But yes, in terms of durability this mattress will not let you down, because of the absence of any weak links in the comfort layer.

7. Alfa

Alfa New Member

A big hello to all the fellas out there. I was surfing when I came across this site and started reading the post and must say, I am hooked on it. Well, I was going through this thread and had a doubt. I realized in your previous post you mentioned some specifications for the T&N mattress. Are they updated, or is this based on what you knew from before. My concern is simply because I purchased this very mattress about a few months ago and ever since I pressed “order” I have been getting cold feet, not even sure why. You know when you order something that you have a feeling is going to go downhill, and then you can’t sleep or anything until it arrives? Well, I wanted to check the specifications as well because before making the purchase I did not do any additional research (or any of it for that matter).

The thing is, my sister owns the same mattress and every time I visit her I ask her if she’ll give it to me. So when my mattress exploded, she said I should get the new T&F 10” which is even better than what she had. But after ordering, I took the liberty of going through some random threads on various forums, and then I saw that a lack of research about the specifications of the mattress could be troublesome with regard to its durability (which is all I’m worried about).

And since I ordered it online, I didn’t get the chance to try it out and test it personally, but once the mattress arrived, it seemed just fine. Even so, I kept reading, and I saw that sometimes the mattress just hits you back at random points, and you can never tell when it’s about to go downhill. There’s something I wanted to get clear from you, in that post, you mention that T&F mattress has a top layer that uses poly foam which has a density of 2.8 lb. Is this true? Because when I called them up a few months ago (right about the time I ordered it) demanding for the specifications that entail the thickness of each layer with their respective densities, I got a different answer.

Well first off, I am not sure if you’re talking about the older version of this mattress, which used to have three layers of foam instead of the newer version (which has only 2). I got the following reply from the rep: “Yes, we did undertake a project of redesigning the mattress to increase the comfort levels of customers, while maintaining our vivid levels of support. Our mattress now has only two layers, where the top layer makes use of our new foam, having a density of 2.8 lb. This you will find is becoming increasingly popular and buzzing throughout the mattress world as being the solution to all the problems customers were facing with our mattress, as this new foam is not as firm as the older version used to be, making customers sleep much better and sounder.”

I, for one, am not questioning your sanctity, but I was just wondering if you were able to talk to them, post-release of this new model? I am hoping that they were not lying to me about the 2.8 lb density, because I gotta say, after that email conversation, I did seem to feel a little more relaxed (and I’m back to anxious now), so could you please get back to me on this? Also, would a higher density mean better quality or longer durability? I sure hope so. Either way, I am just happy it is not firm anymore, and I seem to be sleeping just fine on it (for now, at least).Thanks for all the help in advance.

8. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Well if there’s anything that other companies should be learning from T&N, it’s that they have the same “firmness” level within all their lines of mattresses that they adapt and change accordingly, varying on customer feedback and consensus of the sleepers. Something that is commendable about them is that they are always striving to be better and therefore never constant as such (they are always innovative and creative in their way, and making changes to render better results for the customers). They have a continuous flow of changes that they undergo that works into fitting a larger circle of customers, benefiting all. Also, they work in close collaboration with their foam manufacturers, just so that they can get them to make changes according to the larger % of customers who have similar preferences for the mattress feel. I mean, if that isn’t dedication, I don’t know what is. This is one of the most endearing qualities about T&N and honestly is something everyone looks for in a company; a company that invests in your needs while you make a purchase. Also, their customer care: there isn’t another one like them, the amount of care and interest they put into your needs is insane. I remember talking to a rep for nearly an hour, discussing about the future of the company and how they had planned on innovating in a particular line. I could go on for hours, but my point is you needn’t worry with T&N because they are a brilliant set of employees who will help you through any difficult situation. They changed 3.5 lb polyfoam to 2.8 lb polyfoam. This is mostly because they found out the initial density had better properties, but you needn’t worry, especially since you’re sleeping well. In terms of durability, there would be no difference as such between the two, when both of them are made of polyfoam, so don’t worry there either. Just enjoy your mattress for now and try to keep the negative thoughts locked out. The change back to the 2.8 lb is probably because customers liked that one better. But since your personal experience with it thus far has been enjoyable, I’d recommend you not to read too much and make up scenarios in your head.

9. Alfa

Alfa New Member

@sleepmaniac and thank you for reinforcing my trust in this company. One of the main reasons I didn’t bother researching is because I know how well they have treated my sister (who is an even bigger worrier than I am) and she has customer care on speed dial (HAHA). Anyway, what I’m trying to put across is that I have everlasting faith in them, just that when you mentioned a differing density, I got a little confused. To be honest, I think it’s a little weird that they would already change the density (that too, go back to the older density). I am not concerned, just curious. Just like you said, I’m having the best time with this mattress; I cannot remember the last time I slept so well. Besides, the older version (that my sister owned) was a tad bit too firm for me; even she had a memory foam topper on the mattress to get rid of the extra firmness. Thanks for all your help though, @sleepmaniac, I appreciate it, as I’m sure the others do as well :D

10. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh New Member

Okay, so I am a little upset. Just found out that IKEA does not have a return policy (aka, refunds). LIKE WHAT EVEN? Isn’t it their duty to have something like that, I mean what happens if the mattress comes damaged or something? UGH, so annoyed. Now, what happens if it doesn’t work out for us, we will be stuck with it for all eternity? Just called them up and asked them about this and I am furious I did not find out about this earlier. Why don’t they have this on their label or something? Better yet, their tagline should be that. “Cheap prices but NO REFUNDS.” They do have some weird “love it or exchange” policy that can occur only once and extends for 90 days, which is pretty cool. Just that if I am to make an exchange also, it can only be once and that’s sad because what if I screw up the next option? I’m sorry I’m just venting, just that I don’t think I’ve ever been so frustrated. Such a deal breaker, because I cannot exchange it with anything else because their options with my price range, all suck and I’m in no position to blow some extra cash on another IKEA mattress. Their explanation of the love it or exchange it policy is pretty hilarious: “You are welcome to exchange your mattress if you do not instantly fall in love with it, once within the 90-day trial period. Go back to the store with your receipt in hand and get your new mattress to fulfill your dreams. Keep in mind that the mattress will only be accepted if it is in good condition and will be rejected if found dirty, damaged or stained. We hope you enjoyed your experience at IKEA”. UGH.

11. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Don’t mean to say I told you so, or even to quote myself, but I don’t think you read my post properly. I mentioned, “Keep in mind though, that IKEA does not have a refund policy.” This is a common scenario to most customers, who end up with extended levels of chagrin. Anyway, don’t worry. Have you found that the mattress is not working out for you? What seems to be the issue? If it’s just that you don’t have the option to return it in the future, don’t think about it, because what’s done is done.

12. Alfa

Alfa New Member

@sleepmaniac, thank you again for your response. You caught me, I don’t think I was reading everything that everyone was posting on this thread as intently as I was expected to (totally my bad), but honestly I think I deserved it. Ugh, just a little upsetting considering that my husband put this responsibility on my shoulders and I feel like I may have let him down. No, we are not sleeping badly on it, it seems to be fine for now at least, just that the option not being there is a total deal breaker. I am not upset with anyone, just that I don’t understand how a big company such as IKEA would not have a refund policy. Fine, even if you don’t have it, isn’t it your moral responsibility to mention this to customers before they make their purchase? I am not rich and hence if I have a problem tomorrow, I want to be able to take my money and go to another trustworthy company (say T&N, which I’m regretting not spending that extra $100, btw). But like you said what’s done is done, and I have to live with this decision, which is fine.

On the other hand, since we have had our fair share of experience in the mattress world, my niece has asked me to help her pick out a mattress since she’s just moving into her place now, and she has asked me for some suggestions of synthetic Dunlop mattresses. Any insights I could give her? She likes our mattress (the IKEA MYRBACKA) and claims she wants the same mattress, but I’m not letting her, considering it is IKEA and they have no refund policy. If you know of any mattress that has similar properties, with regard to comfort levels (and preferably a layer of latex also) but not necessarily made from 100% natural latex, because she is also quite low on cash, please do tell! Same price, same comfort levels, preferably some layer of latex as well as a good refund/exchange policy and good customer care services. I am thinking of asking her to get the T&N mattress (2.8 lb), I think she’ll like that the most.

Thanks for all your help :D

13. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Well if you are asking me to recommend something that has similar feels to your MYRBACKA, I would have to suggest something that uses synthetic latex that makes use of the Mountaintop foam and a layering combination that is similar to your mattress (perhaps, polyfoam in the base layers) in order to get the same levels of firmness and comfort. DreamFoam is one such example. They are known to sell nice customizable latex mattresses that are becoming wildly popular within the population. The link is here: https://www.dreamfoambedding.com/cat/mattresses/. I suggest you give it a go. Then again, this is just a suggestion purely based on the similarities of their construction process (inclusive of the materials that they have used, and their similarities based on layering process). Even though in my opinion, these two mattresses may be similar in composition, there’s no guarantee that you will feel the same sort of comfort/softness/firmness with the two. There’s no way of telling that either unless you have, it tested personally by your niece. Make sure that you do not test it for her either because this again is a common mistake that most customers make. They test a mattress for their friends or family. Note that the perception of a “feel” of a mattress is purely subjective and can differ widely. For instance, my niece likes super plush with a sewn in pillow-top and the feeling of sinking into the mattress, while I like a little firmness to support my back just right, as well as some softness. The only way to find out the right mattress for your niece is taking her with you while you go mattress hunting.

Your niece can also opt for some interesting options of a hybrid (latex+polyfoam or latex+memory foam) which seems ideal for her anyway, considering she liked the MYRBACKA. Keep in mind though, that they each have their independent designs, and hence a comparison again is not feasible. Since they all have varying blends of latex+other materials, it’s not possible to tell which one would be most comfortable either, unless you check it personally. This is the only way you can find out whether a mattress is most suitable for you or not. I mean, think about it. Each mattress has independent designs and makes use of a different blend of latex within their mattresses, therefore having varying thickness levels and firmness levels of latex. In addition to this, some may have a quilted cover atop which might be suitable for your niece, while some may not, therefore lack in comfort. Plus, the cover in itself could be woolen or cotton, both of which have their pros and cons, which would match your personal needs. Hence, there’s no other way of explaining this, have it tested and found out which one is most ideal to you, regarding PPP, comfort, support, durability, and such.

I would recommend the T&N model because it uses nothing but high-quality materials in its construction, so you’re guaranteed a high-quality mattress that will have longer durability, but note that the feeling is also quite different from a latex hybrid that you have. So it’s best she tells which is most suitable for her. One thing is for sure, you will have to take her mattress testing if you want her to find an ideal mattress for herself.

14. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh New Member

Thanks, @Mattresso. I would ask my niece to do some research and then take her along for selecting her mattress. BTW would soon post my review for the IKEA MYRBACKA.