Ikea Morgongava Natural Latex mattress first experience review

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Trishybb, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience with you!

I bought the Ikea Morgongava a few years back and figured people would like to hear some feedback from customers instead of just questions about the mattress.

The story goes like this – This is essentially an all-latex Ikea mattress which is super fancy and comfortable to sleep on. The latex has a blend of both natural (well most of it) and synthetic, giving it a special feel. Now, we were going through a bit of a situation at home with our teenaged daughter, who was going through the whole “vegan” phase and was starting to embrace her environmental friendly side. This mattress was the only one that had as many natural products used in its construction as our budget could hold, and hence we bought it for her (placing her previous perfectly sound mattress in our guest room). She isn’t aware of the tiny bit of synthetic latex, and I hope she changes her mind back to being vegan. There were a couple of things we had experienced with the mattress over the years that I thought I could pen down and share with you guys, aiding those of you who might be considering switching to latex recently. Hope it helps!

· This particular model of the Ikea mattress was way too hard/firm. I could’ve sworn we checked it out in the store and made sure that the firmness level was just medium, but the one we bought differs greatly from the one we tried out in the store. This was an issue at first, but she didn’t have any complaints. I guess it’s when you get older that these issues start to bug you as much as you start aching in various parts of the body. Apparently, kids are not affected that much by it, especially my daughter. She slept just fine on it, except the first week when she said it was too hard. I think that after living in the States for close to 15 years now, the tuff has been replaced by fluff! I can’t manage to sleep without just the right amount of cushioning around me. Anyway, we talked to the store about this, and they mentioned that the store mattress has had its break-in period way longer than the one at home and has been tried on by many customers.

· Another thing about latex mattresses, in general, is that they are way heavier than normal beds; this is whether it is a king or even just a full-size mattress. Thank goodness my husband, and I did not buy this bed for us because I cannot imagine the giants that we would need to hire to set it up for us. They are even more difficult to move around because they don’t do so well on their own and often collapse.

· Since the mattress is super hard at the moment, if it doesn’t soften with time, I do suggest getting a topper for the mattress; it works miracles. My baby can finally sleep well. Further, I learned that the use of Dunlop is most common in latex mattresses and apparently they are way firmer than Talalay (the other type). So if you want a latex mattress that is preferably on the softer side, I’d say, go for Talalay.

2. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

Hello @Trishybb

Thanks for your inputs on a latex mattress. So far you have given only the positive aspects, I’m sure there would be something that would be bugging you.

3. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

Well yes, I should have posted it at the beginning itself. Well, the story continues like this:

· Something I am not crazy about this mattress is how loosely fitting the cover is. It has a zipper that goes all around, so it’s easy to wash and replace, but for some reason, it is not a snug fitting on the latex mattress. It is so annoying because we watch all these commercials of a coin being dropped onto the mattress and it bounces right off the surface- on this mattress, forget about it. Okay, it’s not like sagging off or anything, but it is loose, and I hoped it’d last longer.

· They claim that it is an all-natural material inclusive mattress (well most of it is natural, but there is a tiny weeny percentage of synthetic material in it). Further, they mention that no chemicals were used in its’ manufacturing process, or any FRs (using wool, they pass the FR requirement). But as soon as we received the mattress and took it out of the plastic for the first time, it reeked of chemicals. The smell gets me woozy, to begin with, but this was just like a factory of it. I’m not sure why it was even that way, perhaps because it was in the plastic for that long? Not sure, but nothing a couple of hours under the fan and open windows can’t handle. Still, it made me wonder if IKEA was lying about this.

What can I say, we just got our answer of rejecting it from our list of what we should get for our master bedroom. We’ve been using the same mattress for a little over five years now and felt like it’s time to get something better. That said, we do think that our latex mattress for our teenager was a little overbuy, and think maybe an innerspring mattress would’ve been more economical. We have been looking and wanted to purchase off of mygreenmattress.com! It looks super fancy and authentic, but the only issue is that we aren’t too sure about its reviews and definitely cannot just jump into cold water without getting some extensive reviews. Further, after the experience with Sara’s (my daughter) mattress, we are sure that an all-latex mattress for the master bedroom is a no-no. (I think one teenager’s dedication to the environment is enough for our household). What we had in mind comprised of an innerspring with many good reviews, with maybe a comfort layer of Talalay. Now, I am not sure if that’s a good idea. That is the story. Now coming to the moot point – WE NEED HELP! We have narrowed the mattress choice down to the Everlast and are thinking of buying it from the QSS (quality sleep shop). I’ve heard wonders about the QSS and honestly can’t wait to make this purchase. But yes, before I do, reviews, reviews, reviews, guys! I need all the help I can get because when it comes to a mattress, I’m an absolute no-brainer and I certainly do not want to make a hurried decision. I can wait for another week or two! Until then, I hope I have enough information to make this decision. Thanks, everyone.

4. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

@Trishybb

Thank you for your valid feedback, I’m sure that felt good to get out there. You’re right, most people just ask about their mattress questions and leave it at that but thank you for sharing your insight. Morgangava is a challenging mattress, and I am surprised you wrote a review about it because it was replaced by the Sultan Edsele, which is almost identical to the Morgangava! But yes, I am sure that anyone else who owns a latex knows how hard it is to move around during breaks or even just to clean the room! Super floppy as well. I feel your pain.
    Since you own the IKEA model, the foam that is used is different than most other commonly used types of foams. Keep in mind that as it is, latex softens in a much more relaxed manner than other foam. Upon this, the type of latex that is used by IKEA is the “MountainTop” that is way firmer than most others. In general, you will notice this about all IKEA mattresses, it is because of the type of latex used. Yes, even though Dunlop is the most common type of latex, there are some softer versions of the same, some that feel very similar to Talalay. But like you said, adding a topper to provide that extra fluff is always a great alternative.

Any material that is used within the mattress could be responsible for that combination of smells. In fact, latex has a unique smell itself. Especially, when it’s all natural latex, and no further chemicals are added while cleaning it up, this smell can be stronger. However, they are not lying when they say that they do not use chemicals because they do not. Everything that is used in the MountainTop foam has to be OekoTex tested before being included in the mattress, and they ensure that nothing harmful has been included in the mattress, whatsoever. So if there is any smell, do not worry because it is not going to harm you in any way, and as you said, just let it breathe for a few hours, and it’ll be gone before you know it.

5. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

Thank you @Mattresso for your response, it means a lot that you reply so speedily. I guess you’re right. It’s just that as a parent, we naturally wonder whether we made the right choice by listening to our teen who wanted a new mattress even though her previous one was just fine. So now we have a perfectly sound mattress that will serve no purpose (it’s too small for us) and a latex mattress that is too hard to sleep on (even though she’s never really complained about it - I fell asleep on it once and felt like I was sleeping on the floor). Most children her age do not get to make decisions such as this in their household and probably sleep on cheaper mattresses, to begin with. We just feel like it was a bit of an oversell and that this may not have been our biggest teaching moment for her. But then again, we don’t mind if it will last a while (because trust me, there’s no way we are replacing that mattress anytime soon) and we think it’s good that she's so passionate about the environment, forcing us to be green as well. In fact, she’s the one who showed me mygreenmattress.com, after researching for a good website that sold mattresses! Further, we assumed that latex would give that extra comfortable plush feeling that we surely felt in the retail store, but are concerned as to why the one we bought is not portraying similar traits, considering it is as hard as a rock. In fact, the very reason that we didn’t just swing for the mattresses at mygreenmattresses (which mind it, are way cheaper than this one we bought her) is because I was afraid that the surfaces did not appear to be as plushy as one would hope for. This assumption was based on the fact that there was no mention of any layers having latex infused into them, leading me to think it wasn’t worth it. Also, the fact that there was no way in which I could try it out first before making the purchase made me a tad bit antsy about the whole thing. But now we have a mattress that is ALL latex, yet so damn hard, super heavy, not so mobile and ended up spending about $200 more for it. Sigh.

Now I want to fix what I feel is my mistake, by getting my baby a good topper that is completely natural (nonsynthetic, strictly). I already got her a mixed version of natural for her mattress, the least I can do is get her an all-natural topper). It needs to have a very plush feeling (which the mattress lacks to provide). Sigh.

This whole scenario is getting me more and more anxious about buying our new mattress online. I mean, hell, we tried our daughter’s model in the chain store and yet ended up with one that was nothing like it. How are we to trust a purchase made online with zero references at all? Cold feet, ugh. If it were my choice, I’d return the Morgongava to IKEA and proceed with my myorganicmattress.com’s beauty of a mattress made of natural cotton. But apparently, it’s a drag to even get into the process, and my husband doesn’t want any part of it. He also said that its’ fine just the way it is, and as long as she didn’t have any complaints, we shouldn’t poke the bear. Also that if we needed to have it moved, we’d hire professional movers to get the job done. Man, honestly though, I feel bad just thinking about the trouble they’d have to go through to move around that bad boy.

6. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I think that while Morgongava is a perfectly sound mattress to sleep on, it’d probably be a better suit for sleepers on the heavier side, which totally and eliminates children. I think it is perhaps the pushback from the mattress that is providing that hard surface making it difficult to sleep on. Honestly, though, I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if she is not complaining. In fact, for some heavy people, this mattress may even appear softer than required. I’m almost tempted to ask you to keep it a little while longer to see how it turns out because it will soften, but it’ll take time, and once it does, it may just be the perfect fit. Further, latex is a brilliant material that has great durability, so don’t worry about replacing it anytime soon. That said, there’s no harm in providing her with the comfort layer that she requires at this age, and a topper is a brilliant idea. I appreciate how much you’re supporting her environmental friendly side and nurturing it; most parents do not care as much. Most people have a misconception that a topper can provide all the comfort the mattress lacks, but in reality, it just adds a little more softness to the surface of the mattress.

Okay, so I am not sure which mattress you’re talking about, also have not heard of this website before, so will not recommend it as such, but I do have a feeling that it will be firmer than the mattress you bought from IKEA. Plus, the full size is costlier than the IKEA model you got (by more than $350!) Perhaps, you mean the myorganicmattresses.com, and NOT mygreenmattresses.com? Just putting it out there, the “My organic mattresses” is a brilliant platform to choose from.

Again I do believe you mean mygreenmattresses? I don’t see anything like that on the organic mattress website.

7. jake

jake New Member

Thank you @Trishybb for your detailed reviews on the mattress. I, also, had a hunch that it was a little too firm, but I got this feeling while I was in the store itself. I like it though, I always preferred firm mattresses, but this was a little firmer than I wanted. How did you find it? Was it any less firm when you tried it, say a few months later? Just want a brief idea of how long the break-in period is going to be. I am considering buying it, along with a mattress topper for my wife (who cannot stand firm mattresses) but since I like it, she doesn’t mind as long as I get a customizable topper that would work just fine with the firmness of the mattress.

8. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

Hi @jake, well it is still pretty firm. I believe that on the official website you can see the firmness level of it to be a 7/10, where one is the softest, ten is the firmest. I’d say it is a little firmer than you’d hope for, but with time it has softened (barely evident though). See, I don’t even sleep on it; it’s for my 15-year-old daughter and for some reason she sleeps just fine on it. I remember the day we bought it, she slept on it at night and woke me up in the middle of the night, saying it was too hard for her. I asked her to sleep on it anyway and that we’d decide on whether to return it the following day. She woke up and while I was feeling sorry for her, she didn’t complain. She said it was firmer than she’d hoped for but that it wasn’t unbearable. I guess kids don’t care as much about sleep technicalities like we do, so that’s one thing.

But, additionally, I have a feeling her drive to improve the environment was the other reason she decided to stick with it. It took a lot of convincing on her part to get this mattress, and I guess she figured if this went back, there was no green mattress after all. She’s very driven for her age, and if you’re expecting teenagers to sleep on this, I’d say you go for something a little less firm.

I haven’t slept on it for more than two nights if I’m not wrong and couldn’t bear it. It’s not that my back hurt or anything, I just felt it overly uncomfortable. That said, I am thinking of sleeping on it tonight, just to check whether it has softened at all. I did ask my daughter, and she said it had, and even if it hadn’t, she couldn’t tell the difference. But I must tell you that she loves it. Apparently, she likes firmer mattresses, and since you do too, it might be the right fit for you. I am still going to get her a nice, organic topper to go with it anyway because I think that she deserves at least some amount of comfort to go with the rock (as I address that mattress). I am not sure which one I’m going to go with. I just want something that is organic and soft as well as breathable and airy. Something that won’t make her sleep hot. Nothing like polyester though. I was considering maybe just getting her a super lush pad but when I looked them up, they are stuffed with large amounts of polyester, and there’s no way I’m doing that to my baby. There are very few ones that use cotton, but they are not that plushy, thereby defying the very purpose of why I even want to get this pad for her. Another option is adding a latex topper, but that seems pretty pointless, considering that the mattress is already latex. Plus, even though the mattress uses a layer of Talalay which is supposed to be a softer version of latex, it is not!

9. jake

jake New Member

You sure have canceled out many options. I do not think anything else is left.

10. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

Well, feather bed is still left.:tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:. Trust me it was even a consideration when I initially found out how hard it was, but I have heard that it often flattens out quite easy, plus I wasn’t ready to spend that much over what we already had. Didn’t want to be those parents, you know? Plus, how can anyone trust that they are good choices for the long run? Imagine your butt pressing down onto feathers. How long do you think they are going to stay that plush? Hard to say, and honestly, I was not willing to take the risk. If anyone knows anything about any mattress pads that do not use polyester though, that would be great. Suggest away, I am open to anything. I have heard that most people who want that sort of plush feeling that I am looking for usually just go with some foam: not sure which ones are the best; but I am not sure if I want to get that. My daughter has trouble sleeping hot as it is and needs the air conditioning to stay on for the majority of the night, I don’t want it to make it worse with possible heated up surfaces. Furthermore, I’ve heard that it can lead to heat retention issues? Do NOT want that.

11. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

I think this is a pretty good idea. Also setting a standard for other couples who have it bad when they need to make a sacrifice for their spouses who cannot stand the firmness they like. Definitely can be done, it is pretty basic as it is, composing of a huge ass chunk of latex essentially. One of the best things about it is that it is going to last probably another ten years, so that’s good. Perhaps the teenager who sleeps on it would not want any extra layers being added onto it, but for any middle-aged adult, I feel like that might be a good idea, and can lead to some additional innovations. I suggest playing around with layers until you find your perfect match. I think that it is very much recommendable, especially in scenarios when two members have differing needs about their mattress firmness. Go for it, and let us know how it goes

12. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

If I am honest with you, I’d have to say let it be for a bit. I mean your kids are not even complaining yet. I can imagine as a concerned parent you’re just wondering if she is swallowing her pride and not complaining because she’s scared you’ll just replace the green mattress. Honestly, providing her with a softer surface to sleep on at this point would not be the best idea. I will explain this with a simple analogy related to beverages. If you add a little more sugar to your cup of coffee, chances are you will like it, but it may not be in your best interests. It is the same with mattresses. Providing an overly soft surface for a teenager who does not require it would not be desirable. That said, even if you do go with the topper idea, I’d say there’s nothing wrong with the latex topper either. Sometimes, you can add another layer of the same material and have it change the way it feels or performs. This can entirely change the person’s PPP with respect to the mattress, so don’t consider that a definite no-no. So many latex mattresses exist that make use of various layers of the very same material (nothing new, nothing less either) to increase the PPP. This would be a good idea if all you wanted were an increase in softness or relief from pressure experienced from the mattress. That said, it is entirely your choice, just wanted to clear that up.

Definitely, having toppers made of foam, for instance using memory foam or poly foam is known to provide a rather warmer surface than most other materials such as latex or even springs within the mattress, but when it is used in the appropriate amount of thickness, it would be great for a topper that would provide additional softness. Just make sure that the ILD of it is comparatively low. This will complement well the firmness of the latex mattress and also work to give that nice softness you’re in search of for your daughter. Further, it is also great for pressure relief.

Agreed that it sleeps hotter than most, but consider that many other factors need to be considered when working with the foam mattresses. The type of foam plays an important role in the sleeping temperature of any mattress. For instance, both polyfoam and memory foam are foams and are both less breathable and spacey as latex. But if you were to choose between one, polyfoam is more breathable than memory foam! This does make a big difference, in picking wisely based on previously experienced facts. But there are other factors than just this, you know? The type of quilting, the cover and its materials used for construction, the sheets used, type of bedding, even the clothes that you sleep in affect how warm/cool a mattress surface sleeps.

13. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

@Mattresso

Thank you for your input again. I think I am going to take up your advice and put a halt to buying the topper in a hurry. You’re right; I should probably wait it out. Anyway, trust me we are in no rush to buy anything additional, considering we have to buy our new bed anyway. We are swinging for all-natural bedding this time. I guess my kid talked me into it as well, but I think it’s the best choice for now. That said, you can only imagine the cost that will be incurred for it, especially since we need a King size. Additionally, we are making sure there is no hint of polyester, either in the mattress pad or the comforter: sticking with only silk/wool/cotton to be used as raw material for the construction of the bed. This is probably going to burn a hole in my husband’s wallet, but I think it’s worth it. Plus, the mattress that we got our daughter was also all natural and says a lot about its durability. As long as this one lasts us a good ten years, we will be happy to spend the money for it now. Further, I know what you mean about kids sleeping on firmer surfaces, hell, even doctors recommend medium firm mattresses. I feel that perhaps for a child to develop, a medium firmness (to firm) is probably a better option than a super soft “sinking” mattress. I remember going to my grandmother’s and sleeping on her mattress, feeling lulled and pampered. But now when I go visit, it is so hard for me to lie on it even for an hour or two. I guess kids are just built differently and don’t care so much about the firmness level. I just hope that she doesn’t grow out of it when she turns into an adult. The durability is really what has me going.

14. Trishybb

Trishybb New Member

Hey guys, I am bustling with frustration at the moment. I cannot stand the smell of this mattress, I think I am probably going to kill someone; these fumes are killing me. We have bought a few mattresses in our lifetime, but never has a mattress smell driven me right off the cliff. I realize that this frustration is due to the smell and giving me a terrible headache as well. We took it out of the package as soon as it arrived to set it up. There wasn’t too much space to let it “breathe” and spread out, but put it out without any covers and such for a couple of hours right under the fans and opened the windows, hoping that the fumes would just dissipate at the least. Now you’ll be surprised to know that we have just let it out for a good 60 hours now, and the smell is still pretty strong even when we walk next to it. I just can’t seem to place my finger on it: why is it taking so unbelievably long? I’ve heard that sometimes a mattress needs to breathe and it’s advisable to leave it be for a couple of hours. When our daughter’s mattress arrived, there was a faint smell, and we did the same thing, but within a matter of 4-5 hours, the fumes faded, and while there was still a hint of the smell, it eventually went away. This one, however, seems to be as strong as ever. Plus, until we drive away the smell off successfully, we can’t sleep on it, so that means more nights in our sleeping bags. I don’t know about you guys, but for two adults, sleeping bags just don’t work anymore. I need to be among a sea of pillows, lulled to sleep. We’ve waited long enough for this mattress, and I am not giving it up for some funny smell that won’t seem to go away. How much longer will I have to wait? Has anyone else experienced this with their mattress?

I just can’t quite understand what about an all-natural mattress could smell so bad? It’s not like they use chemicals in the manufacturing process either, there’s no harmful FRs either, so then what? Another thing that nearly made me rip my head out was the return policy of IKEA. They simply had no return policy. It was insane. It turns out they only have an exchange policy, where you can return it if it is in bad condition or such, for another model within IKEA at most. No refunds, nothing. Apparently, this is just something about IKEA that everyone knows, which makes me feel even more stupid for not coming across that anywhere. I’m sorry, but I just assumed that refunds are acceptable. If anyone has any idea why the mattress is smelling so bad, please tell me. I think more than the smell; it’s the not knowing what the hell is smelling so bad that is concerning me. I would appreciate it. Oh, and also if anyone has gone through a similar experience, what could reduce this stench? Honestly, I’m out of ideas and could use some help. The mattress all-in-all is good though, nothing wrong with how it feels. Still a little more on the firmer side, but hey I guess that’s just how it’s supposed to be. No complaints there.

15. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

I hate to tell you this, but there is no way of knowing exactly how long a smell is going to stay. The truth is, a majority of sleepers do not enjoy the smell of natural rubber, and some people are more sensitive to the smell than others. In your case, I feel you’re the most affected person in your household and trust me; I feel you because I am that person in my house. Any natural material that is used in mattresses can have a wide variety of smells, depending on their batch. It cannot be predicted hence the company is not to be blamed. It’s just how natural materials work. Besides, Dunlop is known to have a more persistent smell than that of Talalay (even known to be a little stronger, and stay a little longer). Trust me though, it will dissipate. There isn’t a chance that it will spread throughout your household and soon be the smell everyone knows you by (just in case if that was a concern for you). Worst case, it will stay with you for this week, but not more than that. It is natural for mattresses with natural material to have stronger and pungent smells as opposed to not so natural materials used in mattresses.

I think that one of the most important things to notice before making a purchase is its trial period, warranty and the return policy. Most companies do offer this, which is probably why you just assumed that a company as big as IKEA would not even consider not having that option. It is one of the biggest known facts about IKEA, which is what makes it so much difficult for people to buy mattresses from there. However, if you like the brand, you shouldn’t have a problem exchanging it for another model, because you can make that happen. Regarding getting back cash, yeah, that’s a hard no. But it’s fine, you can always learn from your mistakes and if you want a place where you can get your money back if it’s not what you’re looking for, do not go for IKEA.

16. Bram22

Bram22 New Member

Hey @Trishybb, first off, thank you so much for describing the issues you had with the IKEA Morgongava. Anyway, I was wondering, how long did it take before the smell finally dissipated? I just bought it less than three days ago, and honestly? I can’t bear the smell. It’s exactly what you described, it’s almost like I can physically feel the fumes getting into my brain and messing with my head. I don’t know how much longer I can take this. Customer care was no help, all they said was to leave the windows open and let it breathe, but how long would that possibly take? I haven’t slept ever since the mattress came to my home and I need the smell to stop, like NOW. I don’t see any difference with time and was wondering how yours turned out. I told them already that if the smell doesn’t dissipate by tomorrow, I needed a new model to which they agreed, but I’m wondering if all of them smell this bad and take this long before they leave, considering you had the same experience. Hope you get back to me. Thanks.

17. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

@Bram22, considering that your mattress is brand new, I hate to tell you, but it’s very likely that the smell is bound to stay for at least a week or two. Now I know that it feels like the smell is not dissipating but that is most likely not the case. Trust me, within a week or two you will notice the significant difference. Or if you want to test whether or not it is reducing, leave it be for a few hours on its own (and get out of the house). When you return, you will notice the difference. I remember feeling the same way with this experiment mattress I had shipped in, and since I was locked in with it the entire day, I felt like the smell was only getting worse, but a few hours away from it, I noticed the difference. It is the curse of new mattresses, especially made from natural material, but is a small price to pay considering the good we are doing the environment, yes? :) It does depend on the batch and also how long ago the latex was manufactured for the mattress. Some people are more sensitive to these smells than others but know that the smell that you are getting seriously frustrated by is by no times harmful to you, this I can vouch for. I do hope that your Morgongava makes peace with you and you start to sleep on your new mattress with increased comfort and that you come back and share your experience here, maybe help out some poor chap who is probably going through exactly what you are.