Hyatt Grand bed mattress (Sealy Posturepedic) reviews

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by methcutie, Feb 20, 2018.

1. methcutie

methcutie New Member

OMG!!! I am finally posting on this forum. I remember coming here a few months back when I needed some help with buying a new mattress for my sister! I found so many posts that I got confused. I realize now that I was not aware of many of the mattress terms, but I promise this time, I’ve read :p. Anyway, I’ll cut to the chase.

I stayed at Hyatt Regency in CA a few nights ago and was lucky enough to sleep on the Hyatt Grand bed! I gotta say, it was the best sleep I’d had in months. The mattress I have right now is fine, but it’s getting pretty old, and I’d love to switch it to this model, which I believe is a Sealy Posturepedic.

Since I stayed there for work purposes, I didn’t have much time to laze around on the mattress, which is what is killing me now. The reason is very simple – the feeling I experienced right after I woke up is really beyond words.

What surprised me, even more, was the fact that I was quite stressed out with work and yet got amazing sleep (which SELDOM happens). It just proved that I was not in a vacation syndrome sort of situation which most people translate to a good night’s sleep!

Anyway, thanks to this site, I was able to read reviews on a bunch of innerspring mattresses and don’t know if it’s for me. All the cons seemed to bum me out pretty hard, and I want to give latex a try; don’t mind if it’s a blend of natural and synthetic. I am lucky that there are two latex factory stores right next to my house. I guess I’m little confused what models I’d be looking for.

The two factories are Arizona Premium and the SleepEz in Tempe! Do you guys have any idea what mattresses they sell that are similar in composition with respect to the Sealy Posturepedic?

I prefer sleeping on my back but often wake up finding myself on my sides. So I’m not entirely sure what my favorite sleeping position is, to be honest. I am not quite 5”4 and weigh close to 135 pounds. I am currently single and usually occupy a side of the mattress as opposed to sleeping in the middle. I would appreciate any advice given to me :)

2. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Hello @methcutie and welcome to the forum. Hope you feel welcome and keep posting your thoughts :)

I’d advise you to avoid this bed altogether; which essentially has very similar properties to the Sealy Posturepedic. Take it from me when I say that many customers have been disappointed after purchasing hotel beds. They usually say “they feel nothing like the mattresses in hotels,” which is totally true because the mattresses in hotels are not used as extensively and thereby go through a more spaced out softening period. Further, like other big companies, Sealy also makes use of a great deal of polyfoam within their mattresses, which makes it prone to quicker breakdown and softening periods. The overall value is just going down the drain, and it barely puts up a fight.

3. Joyce McGregor

Joyce McGregor New Member

I would support the views of @Mattresso. I would also like to add that what you feel in the hotel is not the mattress alone; there is entire ensemble working behind it. It includes a topper or feather bed, obviously depending on which one you slept on and the feeling offered by triple sheets. This is also a reason why hotel mattresses are not as prone to mattress softening because we are not sleeping directly on the surface, but rather on three layers of sheets! I know two people (one of them is my closest friend, whom I tried convincing very hard) who bought this very mattress, convinced that it was “the mattress” for them only because they felt so in their respective hotel rooms. In fact, my friend calls it an epiphany that she underwent while finding out the newest love of her life, which is now easily the biggest regret of her life. I’d suggest you do more research and then make a move.

4. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

I’d strongly recommend starting from the very beginning. There’s a ton of information on that tells you about testing a particular mattress for your PPP needs, and check it for the apt amount of pressure relieving abilities.

There is information on whether your sleeping positions make you feel comfortable, and how to check your hips and shoulders are not too pressurized (if you’re a side sleeper). You should also check out information on whether your body is in alignment with your spine, whether you like the feeling of the mattress, etc. In fact, there are many factors to consider, but I just stated the obvious.

The best thing you could do rather than trying to recreate this feeling that you once felt a while ago in some hotel is start from scratch. You have a rough idea of what you like, right? Chances are since you haven’t tried too many options, you will find something you might fall in love with even more. It’s always better to experiment rather than settle (especially for a Sealy’s hotel mattress).

I’d say that the best reference point is your testing itself. If you’re a side sleeper, perhaps three inches would be the requisite thickness of the mattress’ comfort layer that you should be testing. However, if you experience a sinkage of, say 2 inches, it would mean that you’d need something to make up for the absence of thickness in the comfort layer – a slightly softer support layer.

Keep in mind that only some models have it made of latex. Only you can tell if the feel of mattress suits you or not. If you like the feel of latex, but think it’s too pricey for you, there are many other options, such as toppers. They can help in tuning the mattress feel to your favorite. I think something interesting to go with would be a mattress made of a latex support base.

The feel in such a mattress would be entirely different from what an innerspring mattress would feel like. The reason why I am suggesting latex (as opposed to Sealy’s polyfoam) is that there is a certain confidence that is sworn in with it. It is most likely to meet your personal preferences and is most definitely going to last you a while something which memory or polyfoam cannot guarantee.

5. steve123

steve123 New Member

Hi, I found this thread interesting and decided to butt in the conversation. As the experts have suggested, if they are not willing to reveal the details of its specifications, it is not worth it. I mean hell, they don’t even reveal the coil count (often mistaken for some foundation power unit in an innerspring). Because they lack in providing the information that customers need to be able to compare it with other mattresses, there is no true way of evaluating its performance. This, especially, if you don’t even have the means to try it out first. To be honest, even if there were specifications available to you, you couldn’t possibly compare latex and low-density poly foam because that would be an “apples and oranges” comparison. They have varying feels and performances, and hence it would be quite a challenge to compare them. I guess if I were to paint you a picture of what it’d turn out to be, it’d be a pillow-top and a topper (lush and smooth) with a foundation made of strong innersprings. This is probably the closest you’d get. But, if I were to be completely honest with you, I’d say that you could get a replica of this very mattress more efficiently by just going to some local retail store around you and lying down on a Sealy, further placing a topper for the comfort. Though this would be a low-quality setup, I’d say it’s still better than Hyatt!

6. methcutie

methcutie New Member

Thank you all for the replies and the advice. One thing I have learned after going through these posts is the need for more research before taking any decision. I would post my mattress decision and my experience once I make my purchase.