how to make distilled water at home

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by fortuitous, Apr 8, 2017.

1. fortuitous

fortuitous New Member

My CPAP manufacturer tells me to use distilled water in my CPAP dehumidifier.

How do I make my own distilled water at home?

2. cpapper

cpapper New Member

It's simple. Take a large pot, fill it with water and close the lid.. Let a small bowl float on it and this will be used to collect distilled water. Heat the large pot until water vapour rises to the lid. put icecubes on the lid from the outside, this will help water condense and fall on the smaller bowl and this will be the precious distilled water my friends ;)

3. MICHEAL

MICHEAL New Member

Generally, it depends on the quality of water you are supplied by your local utility. By boiling the water, you can probably kill some or most of the germs. However, boiling may not remove some of the minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron in the water. Water with lots of mineral content is called "hard" water.

The "harder" your water, the more damaging it could be to your humidifier. These minerals will separate from the water and settle on the walls of the container to form a hard coat called "scale." With enough scale formed inside your humidifier, you may need to replace it with new one well before the end of its useful life.

If you are traveling, you will have no idea of the hardness of the water you will get in the different places you may stay in. You should not take a risk but better buy some bottles of mineral water for your humidifier.

4. ApneaCrusher

ApneaCrusher New Member

This simple set up needs no more than 3-4 common items to make distilled water in easy steps.

See the article How to Distill Water with detailed pictures.

The items you need
    HowToDistillWater-Items--373x.jpg

The set up
    HowToDistillWater-SetUp--373.jpg

Done
    HowToDistillWater-Done.jpg

5. Roger-That

Roger-That New Member

6. SleepMaster

SleepMaster Administrator
    Staff Member

Distilled water is inexpensive to buy and you can buy gallons of them at your local grocery store.
    Or just use a water softner and RO filter. I have both and the combo works very well, I dont get them mineral deposits in my kettle or humidifier tank (maybe mild traces).