sleepaider.com is supported by readers. When you buy with our links, we may earn a commission.Learn more

How much to ship a mattress?

B

benito6

Hi fellas, I need your help. I am working in Florida and have been transferred to California. Except for a few necessities, I have packed and sent all my stuff.

As the D-day arrives, I am all set for the shift. However, I have a problem – my mattress. It is a Cal-King. I want to ship it safely to my new house, without breaking my bank. Any ideas?

D

damnation kiss

Hello there,

I have been through this before and think I can help. I’d suggest LTL carriers. They will be the least expensive. However, you should keep in mind that you have to pack the mattress very well, lest you want damaged pieces when it reaches home in California. The freight charges come to around $300, without charges for lift gates or residential fees.

You can also look at a blanket wrap carrier. These are furniture delivery companies that are always on the lookout for small furniture shipments stuff to fill the extra space. However, they can be a tad bit costly, starting around $350.

JoHnDoE

JoHnDoE

It depends on how you are planning to send it. What I mean is if you are ready to splurge a little, then there are companies that will do the packing and sending it, but it will cost more than $500. The flip side is that your furniture will reach you in one piece. An alternative is renting a truck.

Markayla

Markayla

LTL freight companies are the best bet. They do provide good service, and you can be assured that the package is safe. They are a bit expensive, but then getting a mattress in one shape is more important. Wrap your bed, call the company, get it to heir hub, and sit back and relax.

M

marly

Unless your mattress is an heirloom and you cannot survive without it, I see no reason to haul it to California. Sell off your mattress here, visit a nearby store in California and get a new mattress.

reese6

reese6

You can try FedEx. They have ground shipping services, which is the most cost-effective option for transporting your mattress. Inquire with them, get the quotes, select which is the best option and then go for the cheapest one.

A

Aleyda

“Breaking the bank” is an extensive definition. For me, $1000 won’t break the bank, but it might not be the same for you. Assuming that $500 is an average cost and reasonable amount for transporting long-distance, your options are FedEx, U-Haul, or renting a truck.

FedEx does the work, but I am not sure about rates. U-Haul might be costly and not sure if it’s the best bet for your needs.

Renting a big truck, OTOH, will work for you. Stuff in all your remaining belongings into the truck and receive it at your new home. You will have to pay for the gas and some charges, but it will definitely be less than our target amount.

I hope I was helpful. All the best for your new beginning in California.