HDM Z1 travel cpap machine reviews

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by Case, May 17, 2018.

1. Case

Case New Member

Hello friends,

I am a travel enthusiast but suffer from OSA and cannot do without CPAP. I have heard that HDM has introduced a new Z1 machine, but was told that humidity option is not there. I am planning a trip to East Asia and have my concerns regarding the availability of distilled water.

Thanks!

2. george

george New Member

Yes, HDM has launched new travel machine – Z1 Travel CPAP Machine.

Regarding distilled water, I do not think that there would be any shortage of distilled water unless you are planning to go to some remote area. If you are not able to get distilled water, just go for the next purest water that is available in stores. My thumb rule is any water that is suitable for drinking is good enough for my machine. I am not saying it works for everybody, but it has worked fine for me. Distilled water is essential for avoiding the buildup of crud in the tank, so in case you are not quite sure about distilled water, just use the next best option and do a thorough cleaning of the tank once you are back in the US.

3. marlee

marlee New Member

With regards to your query about the Z1 travel machine, they tout it as a world’s lightest and smallest CPAP machine. HME is optional, so if you want it, you have to buy it.

4. kennedy

kennedy New Member

I recently bought the machine and true to their word, it is tiny and is lightweight, and they have a great battery option. That said, it is very noisy. Since I use only APAP machine, I think for me the difference is too much. I had bought it and sold it off just for the amount of noise. Besides the sound, the only other negative point which I felt was the fact that the HME though excellent, can be used only once and if we are going on a long trip say 1 month or more, than it certainly adds up the luggage. One useful feature of Z1 is that it can be programmed even without Windows machine.

5. comer

comer New Member

I got the machine and was wondering why it was not developed earlier. I am a veteran OSA fellow and have had to lug around heavy machine when going on trips (which I take very often). I have not bought additional battery kit yet, but have purchased the 12v cord which I use during the plane journey as well as for charging the machine in the car.

To say I am pleased with using this product would be an understatement, I am thrilled with this product.

6. Sugary_pie

Sugary_pie New Member

I ordered and received my machine one week back, and I have been using it daily just to get the hang of it, and it indeed is terrific. Compact, sleek, a little pricey, but an excellent machine. I was worried about the noise, but my husband said, he did not feel it quite bothersome, so that box is ticked. I am planning to use it for an overnight trip, let’s see how it goes.

7. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I had bought Z1, and this is my review about it:

Pros:
    1. Its’ super tiny and fits my palm.
    2. Battery shell is compact and is integrated into the central unit (only if you go for optional battery pack).
    3. Looks and feel of this machine are right, and the screen displays readable numbers which are a plus for a device this size.
    Cons:
    1. SUPER noisy, and for those who are habituated with APAP machines, this would be an interesting tussle to get adjusted. In fact, the sound feels like a mini-turbine engine being switched on.
    2. It's a CPAP machine, and for APAP users, it is a big letdown. Though the company provides Z-Breathe, it is not much help.
    3. At high pressure, the battery drains out quickly.
    4. The battery has to be separated from PowerShell when not in use, which is a big minus.

8. brylee

brylee New Member

I wanted to have a lightweight and small yet powerful enough CPAP machine primarily to serve as a backup and while traveling. Z1 fit the bill perfectly, so went ahead and bought it. After getting the pack, I fired it up and immediately felt as if a mini turbine engine has started. My husband could not tolerate it and went and slept in other room. Even my sleep was pretty patchy. Besides the noise, another big minus is that though CPAP Supplies provides all accessories, I think things like filter cap and HME and filters should be provided with the unit by HMD and consumer should not be made to purchase everything separately. If they add these and increase the price say by $50 to $100, then also people would buy it. And please get HMD designers to look at the noise. They say it makes only 26 dBA, but I felt it made 2600 dBA, it was that noisy. If they make these changes, then I think it would be the best seller for HMD.

9. fortuitous

fortuitous New Member

I bought this machine and to say I am disappointed with the product would be putting it mildly. Spending over $1000 for getting a machine with PowerShell and other accessories was just not worth the investment. I bought it primarily for travel, but I have not had good experience with it. I think for getting the correct size, they compromised with quality. I simply regret it. If anybody would like to buy it, they are most welcome.

10. Case

Case New Member

The feedback is great. But my only concern is the battery; I was told that we have to take it out of the unit otherwise it would drain out. Is it true?

11. huzzah

huzzah New Member

Yes, it's true. The battery has to be removed from the PowerShell, otherwise, it would drain out quickly. The battery has good charge, but if left in the PowerShell, a completely charged battery can drain out within 48 hours.

12. Case

Case New Member

Now that’s a thing to make a note of. Anyways, thanks to everybody, would weigh the options and make the decision.