hampton inn mattresses are great - what mattress do they use

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Kris, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Kris

Kris New Member

I recently bought a mattress from Stearns & Fosters (Costco) based on some good reviews from the official website and other forums. With the significant price reduction along with the global recognition of the brand, I was certain I’d made a good deal. The first night on the mattress was fine, but the second resulted in a shooting pain traveling to the left side of my body, along with a numbing sensation after I awoke. Since I got it from Costco, a full refund is possible, hence I’m not worrying, but I need some insight on the same. Further, I feel the firmness might be a little more than I was expecting.

So here’s my issue. I often stay in good hotel rooms (Hampton Inn and Sheraton being the most frequently used, apart from 4 Seasons, W, etc.) so you get the drift; all the mattresses I’ve slept on in these hotels were super comfortable, and had pillow tops with lush feels. And special mention about Hampton Inn mattress, those are probably the best.

How is it possible to have this sort of a feel from a Serta mattress that is not even as expensive, is occupied by customers on a daily basis and still has that feel without getting softer? From what I’ve asked, these mattresses are used for at least 1-2 years together before replacing them. I just don’t understand how it is possible to retain the same comfort levels even after extensive use. It makes no sense to me.

Further, I’ve been traveling a lot this month, and have stayed in hotels at least six times. Each time I wake up, I feel good, but awakening from bed at home results in numbness and pain. Why is this? It can’t just be a state of mind.

2. beachbum

beachbum New Member

Hey @Kris,

I had a similar experience of being in a rut while making my mattress purchase, and I had it narrowed down to two options, the Hampton Inn or any other latex mattress. Both had amazing reviews, but I ended up taking the route for latex. The Hampton Inn uses mattresses made by Serta and was a little suspicious to me, mostly because of its extensive sale using their official website. Also, they barely have any construction details anywhere, and upon asking the customer care also, they were pretty vague. Further, the refund/return policy was also pretty sketchy.

But my question to you is, how do you know you’re using the same mattress that is used in a hotel?

3. Bram22

Bram22 New Member

Hampton Inn definitely uses Cloud 9 mattresses. If you’re staying at 4 Seasons or Sheraton, chances are the mattress quality is super high (I mean you pay for it technically). With high quality comes longer durability, which is probably why it lasts for years together. Plus, bigger hotels make use of mattresses with better quality foam. The last problem the hotel managers need is a customer complaining about the bad quality of their mattresses. For hotels that can swing them, why wouldn’t they invest in good quality mattresses when they have the capital? But what you said makes sense, I guess the real question is why they don’t disclose the source of their purchase (yes, I’ve tried) or companies allow the public to buy the same thing. One thing’s for sure that these mattresses are super pricey, probably at least 3-4k, which let’s be honest is not a budget range for most people.

4. Kris

Kris New Member

Hi @Bram22,

Thank you for your response.

Well, the truth is I bought it once myself but didn’t care for it as much. I take my sleep very seriously, and finding anything that doesn’t suit my personal needs won’t work for me. Then again, I was pretty aggressive back then, so there’s no saying that it wouldn’t have worked for me. But I just got back to Serta a few weeks ago, and GOD, it sleeps ridiculously hot. I mean, the main reason why I steered clear of memory foam and chose the spring, is figuring the bounce would come along with a natural cooling effect. For now, I am just trying out these Costco sheets I saw someone recommend, saying it sleeps cool especially over the summers, but it just isn’t working out for me. I reckon you can understand my chagrin from this post

5. stewart

stewart New Member

I think the main problem for long-term users (who will/have used a mattress for ages now) is that we carry with us, the “anything that isn’t mine” syndrome. What is this? We go for any mattress in the market without considering the specs just because we have zero experience with it. What can I say, I have tried out at least ten different mattress companies (some in the market, others at home and returned if not suitable, and at least 100 different topper combinations). I guess you could say I’m a lot like you, who needs a perfect night’s sleep and will do anything to find the right match. Truth be told, I’ve also felt that warm fuzzy feeling in hotel beds multiple times and even asked the manager once for a description. I realized that was somewhat offensive to them and they took credit for the “feeling” claiming it was extended by them and not the mattress as such. Further, asking them about details will just render in them promoting their hotel and asking you to revisit to experience it again. Pshhh. Not very successful in finding answers myself, I would love an acknowledgment.

The funny part is, I am actually willing to pay for the extra feel of mattress/comforter/topper which knows how to put me to sleep, as opposed to what I sleep on now. The mattress industry is quite tricky if you ask me. I mean, how is it possible that it is so hard to find out the specifications of a mattress and not be able to pair it up with a similar retailer/company?

But what naturally works for me is a top layer of soft latex (needn’t be 100%, even synthetic will do as I’ve noticed they both promote the same feel). It should be about 2-3” in thickness, having about 15 ILD on the firmness scale (I’ve found this to be ideal for me especially with my back pain) over a somewhat firm base. What I like the most is Serta’s Perfect Slumber firm as the foundation of the bed; it is the most comfortable while considering lumbar and body support in addition to providing a proper contour around the body. I’ve heard that coupled coils wrapped within memory foam are another perfect structure that supports the back in an ideal way and is best for people who are already suffering from lower back aches. What I’d like to change about this is perhaps replacing the base of the mattress with a somewhat firmer latex to render a more enhanced solution (in my case, specifically). Like many others, my body is quite prone to the easy building of pressure points, especially around the shoulder blades and hips. Additionally, my frame is somewhat skinny, making its interaction with the mattress a little sturdy instead of comfortable, which is a shame. In addition to this, I refrain from sleeping on my back due to easy recurrence of back pain, so I sleep on my sides.

I’ve heard that memory foam is the best for supporting the lower back. Is that true? It doesn’t work for me because the mattress runs super hot and it’s like sleeping in a sauna. Also, I’ve tried it, and personally didn’t feel any additional support or even the deep compression support that it is expected to extend, I felt that I was sinking into the mattress, making me feel rather claustrophobic. This made me frustrated, and I ended up returning that model.

The convoluted latex topper that is sold by FloBeds really grabbed my attention, but it comes along with the mattress, and I don’t think they sell it separately (the mattress is within the $2-3k range). This has an ILD of 14 and is rather soft. I also tried a supersoft foam mattress only because I wanted something that wasn’t too hard on my back and ended up buying the Polybranch foam distributing company’s supersoft foam mattress online and found that it wasn’t really anymore softer than the 20 ILD! This made no difference from the 14 ILD I was used to, and found the same amount of softness, so cutting a long story short, there really wasn’t any improvement as such. Hence I returned it as well. The super softness in their title itself was deceiving, and the product lacked it all together. Don’t get me wrong, it was by no means hard or uncomfortable, even. I just didn’t see the point in spending extra for the same ILD. I think I will try using 1” of 20 ILD on top of a few inches of 14 ILD and post my results here. Stay tuned.

6. Joe khalil

Joe khalil New Member

Hey all,

Might I just add that I found this conversation enthralling because I wondered about the hotel mattresses myself and had made a complete fool of myself at multiple occasions, asking them where I could buy myself one? Sigh. What I feel though, is that the difference felt has to do with more than just memory foam infusions and coil on coil technology. Much like you guys, I’m a multiple bed sleeper and have spent thousands of dollars in search of my ideal mattress. If I were to tally it up, I’m sure it’s more than all of you have, put together. Yes, I should be ashamed instead of gloating about it. But anyways, hotel mattress is beautiful, no doubt about it.

Here’s my issue with my current mattress, though. I made an impulsive purchase recently. I bought it from this small mattress company that was up and coming at the time and had some excellent reviews around my area. Additionally, its infusion of pocketed coils wrapped in memory foam made it seem like the breathability of the mattress would be flawless. It had also been re-foamed by another manufacturer. But upon using it for multiple nights, I realized that my arthritis pain only escalated, and stretched all the way down my spine. Further, the pain was chronic. In fact, sometimes when I would awaken, moving my arm would be challenging, and my back would be as stiff as a bamboo stick.

Luckily that same week I had a conference out of town, and I took a day off to experience The Brown’s Hotel (inclusive of spa charges), so that got me excited. That mattress I slept on, I could’ve slept all day if I wanted to. Sleeping on it for four days completely healed my back pain, NO KIDDING. It was the most heavenly experience of my life, and I figured the bed must’ve worked some miracles. What took me by surprise was that the bed was actually four years old, and made by Sealey, telling me that similar mattresses existed in the market today, at the cost of nearly $4-5k. They also said Sealey never disappointed any of their customers, and even after years of usage it still extended the same warm embrace of slumbering. I came back home and realized that sleeping on my old mattress would just bring back the pain that took so long to go away in the first place, so I tore apart my mattress. Now I know that’s pretty dramatic, but I’m glad I did because I knew I’d find an excuse to get back to my old habits. Also, I surfed the net for the exact specs of this bed to find that it had a coil box-spring, to keep the coils in place and at a distance from one another, and little padding as opposed to a full pillow-top as some customers found this irritating. I had a mattress custom made based on these specifications and had insulator layers to prevent heat retention issues and had an overall cotton batting done. I gotta say, I’ve been using this mattress for about three years now, and I’ve never been happier. My back pain has healed completely (arthritis issues do not get invoked because of my mattress anymore), and the top 4” of foam keeps me cool as well as extends a comfort level that I am so happy with. The mattress took about a month before it really softened up, but this I read is natural for a good cotton cover mattress. The use of good quality coils, cotton and other compositions rendered in such a good quality mattress and I think the quality is something that is often overlooked because we tend to associate it with money. Also, I don’t think stuffing the mattress with more layers makes it better. Mine has only two layers and is beyond comfortable. Do not get swayed by companies that try to sweep you off your feet, saying that they have many additional layers. You’re paying for additional words and nothing else.

7. Doobi

Doobi New Member

From what I’ve heard, hotels ensure that their mattresses are changed rather frequently as opposed to us long-term users who buy a mattress, hoping to make it last for a few years, at the least. Hotels keep changing them on an annual basis (at most a year-and-a-half). One of the reasons is also because they wish to keep changing the models so as to check which model is best suited for customers. Some prefer springs, some prefer all foam, some prefer them both and hence like the hybrid, etc. Switching it constantly gives it a nice pace of change to the customer as well. Keep in mind that mattresses used at hotels are not used during the day mostly, and are only used at night to sleep. Using a mattress at home is entirely different, as customers use it on a constant basis. This is another reason for the mattress to sag less or last longer than mattresses at home.