Flobeds vs SleepEz Mattress Experience & Complaints

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by SomeGirl, May 28, 2017.

1. SomeGirl

SomeGirl New Member

FloBeds has always been captivating enough on the web today, in particular grasping my attention with the whole “building your own bed, layer by layer” scenario, which is why FloBeds made an early appearance into my shortlist of retailers (which also includes SleepEz!).

I’ve scanned the entire forum but was not able to find anything about the same, or even on the Membership list. But since I’ve invested so much time researching on it on other platforms and really developed a strong liking towards it, I’m not ready to give it up just yet, either. Could someone please post something on Flobeds, so I can confirm my liking?

2. SleepMaster

SleepMaster Administrator
    Staff Member

Well first off, I want to tell you that your research on FloBeds is not in vain, because it is definitely a mattress of high quality and does have that gripping property making it super likeable for customers. But it is also for those of us who are not on a budget; which cuts down its customers by like a half. Additionally, I don’t think their customization is as advanced as Sleepez (with regard to the latex used and its composition %, as well as thickness of layers!). But as you mentioned, its inclusiveness of its zoning property does make it stand out in terms of providing additional lumbar support and comfort.

The top layer of the mattress is significant in the customization of the mattress for supporting customers of varying weights, who prefer sleeping in different positions. Their top layer of a cover is made of 2 inches of convolute (strictly), and while this seems like a standard measure the company just chose to stick with, it does extend some limitations on the whole, in terms of customization of the mattress. Depending on the likes of the customer, they could’ve chosen between ILD’s (a measure of firmness) instead of the top 2 inches for the top layer.

The posture select chosen by FloBeds is essentially the same as Sleepez 9000’s (wherein Sleepez uses a non convulated layer, making it similar, but firmer than the 2 inches of convolute within the FloBeds). In terms of cost, like I mentioned above, the feel offered by both mattresses are essentially the same (in terms of performance and overall comfort), but the FloBed (queen sized in this example) is much more expensive than the Sleepez!

Additionally, there are no discounts extended by FloBeds to my knowledge. This is inclusive in the Sleepez mattress sale, once your membership title is up. The Sleepez mattress also extends the top layer customization property, but even so is about $350 less than the FloBed, which is why it was not considered reasonable enough in terms of pricing to be placed in our membership list.

Latex type? Now I know the type of latex incorporated within the mattress doesn’t make much of a difference, but the wide use of Dunlop latex makes it popular within the mattress biz, which is another area where FloBeds lacks; It makes use of Talalay latex exclusively, and doesn’t provide a reason as to why they ignored Dunlop altogether. Many customers who are learning about the mattress compositions and are particularly interested in latex mattresses prefer having Dunlop latex in their support layers, and its lack of, in this mattress makes it a setback. Further, it provides some misleading information about Dunlop on their official website, making an unprofessional move on the whole (as we all know that the use of Dunlop extends durability, in addition to high quality). I guess the whole layout just appeared a little shady to us.

Cover of FloBed does not offer many options; granted this is not an option offered by many mattress companies, but the customizable top layer sets it apart from others, and provokes it to provide further options. Its wool cover does not provide the best of performances and does not help with cooling unless it is paired up with the right composition. Sleepez on the other hand extends a choice; if you like sleeping on wool, there’s that, or if you want to feel the latex in the layers below you, there’s the 4 way stretch cover, etc. In simple words, Sleepez really put to good use, the shape contouring properties of latex, which was overall, impressive.

VZone option offered by FloBeds is seemed a little ambiguous. The zoning seemed a little unnecessary and a potential source of intricacy to those not used to this sort of customization, given that you are paying an additional sum of $350 for this property.

Refunding? This is however better in case of FloBeds, that offers an additional 10 days of refunding period (a total of 100 days), as opposed to Sleepez’s 90 day refund period.

Layer exchanges is another region where the price factor sparks in, and we all know that vaue for money is important for most customers: FloBeds charge $100 in case you wish to exchange the first two half layers (and I believe this value is doubled in case you wish to exchange the entire layer). The second two half layers costs around $200 I think. Keep in mind, shipping charges are also applied. This, compared to the Sleepez, is quite a bit more expensive.

To conclude, both mattresses are made of great quality materials. The main price factor comes in, where you need to ask yourself if you’re willing to pay an extra $600 for the same feels offered by another competitor in the market. Additionally, the restriction of Dunlop, the top layer customization and thickness of the layers is another thing that would make customers think twice before buying it, but all in all, it does have a great feel. I’d suggest you give it a try in a retail store. From my experience, you can’t entirely base your likes on reviews, sometimes you can really connect with the feels of a mattress, no matter how crazy that sounds.

I hope this was informative to you and helps you make your decision.

3. stiflex

stiflex New Member

Flobeds Vzone mattress is quite popular actually. The 2 inches of Velcro they use holds the zones together allows the sleeper to adjust to their prefered firmness . The company suggests it provides support in the lumbar area, the hips, shoulders (that are needed for spinal alignment).

About customization - Flobed also provides horsehair mattresses for those of you who sleep hot. They also have mattresses with pocketed coils which also provides additional support to your body.

They also have a 100 day refund policy in case you are unable to adjust with the mattress ;)

4. diamond

diamond New Member

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree! They offer lots of flexibility.Flobed 2” topper is made of wool which is used only to promote airflow and provide a great breathability to the cover. But the firmness of the cover is left to the customer to decide. I would never want to trade out the convoluted Talalay topper! Additionally, all the layers have options ranging from 19-44 ILD’s, making it very much the customer’s preference of feel and firmness.
    Flobed 2” topper is made of wool which is used only to promote airflow and provide a great breathability to the cover. But the firmness of the cover is left to the customer to decide. I would never want to trade out the Talalay topper! Additionally, all the layers have options ranging from 19-44 ILD’s, making it very much the customer’s preference of feel and firmness.

Further, you mentioned the use of Talalay? IMO its inclusion resulted in the ideal pressure interface for the user, wherein it was not only a highly comfortable surface to sleep on, but the push back was also ideal, further promoting efficient blood flow throughout the skin.

5. bridget

bridget New Member

I think all this Flobed customization stuff only adds to the frustration. The amount of work it takes to customize the mattress, shuffling and replacing them with others (offered by the exchange policy) was pretty tiring, even for me, (a mechanical engineer)! If you’re more on the lazier side, you might not find this process particularly impressive, as it is a lot of work!

To my despair, even after a month’s toil, neither of us found the bed to work for either of us. My boyfriend is a good 10 years older than I am and struggles with pangs of arthritis in his lower back, which is why the use of this mattress seemed ideal for us; however it wasn’t, and I cannot outright blame this mattress for the same. Perhaps it was the latex that just wasn’t working for us. In simple words, the various zones just felt like varying presentations of wet sand that did not give priority to lumbar support.

A year after, we found that my boyfriend suffered from longer pangs of arthritis pain. Further, there was just this dead weight that I felt with me on the mattress, what it was I still can’t figure out completely, but the overall feel was pretty intense; I often sunk into the lower layers of the mattress, and often found myself waking up just to be able to shift into a more comfortable level to sleep on. This apart from the fact that the mattress did not provide a cooling surface to sleep on. In retrospect, I realize that we didn’t talk with customer service to combat this problem. But in general, for adults, I feel like a cooler sleeping surface is a given in terms of their priorities.

If I’m being completely honest, I really wish I had returned the mattress for a full refund instead of wasting my time and energy on something that was definitely not cut out for us! That said, this is not the issue of the company, as they were as helpful as could be! It was not a cheap mattress, hence it did take a toll on our bank accounts, to have to seek for another mattress right after making such an expensive investment.

To those of you who are confused about FloBed, I’m just going to say this: go with your gut feeling. It is a large investment, so ensure that you find it to be your dream mattress. Try making it work too, but if you find it to be even a little bit “off”, you might be able to do better. My biggest regret is that I didn’t return it while I could! With regard to what we bought next, we went for an innerspring mattress. What can I say, the first night was heavenly! I am not giving any other reviews on the same until I experience everything I need to about it, but I can definitely vouch for spring mattresses!

6. SleepMaster

Staff Member

When I mentioned the process of customization, I meant it with regard to the use of different types of latex (such as Dunlop). In addition, I also raising the point about being able to choose another level of thickness, as opposed to your standard 2 inches of top layer thickness.

Use of horsehair for cooling as well as the pocketed coils for support and airflow are great innovations and unique ideas :) . I guess the learning curve never does end, and I’m glad FloBed was able to find ways to get better at what it does, because let’s face it, innovation is key in the mattress biz today.

7. Kaydence

Kaydence New Member

Before I start off, can I just say I am so psyched to be writing this post, OMG, @SleepMaster, you’re like my God when it comes to mattress picking. I make it a point to change my mattress every couple of years, what can I say, I value my beauty beyond anything else, and I just think that this forum provides great information, especially in an industry where there are just so many options! (Sorry, totally fan-girling here).

So I have been using FloBeds for a little over a year now and figured, hey, why not share my experience here (now that I noticed such high profile people check it out as it is). For starters, I just have to mention that the FloBed’s customer care is like the best, ever. They just really care, there really isn’t a better way to put that. They ensure that your experience with the mattress is maximized, even if it’s been awhile since you purchased it. They don’t just give up after the refund period, but work with you, (at each individual layer) so as to create the conception of perfection you have in your mind with respect to sleeping on a mattress. Brilliance!

8. SomeGirl

SomeGirl New Member

Thank you so much for that great review. Truth be told, I was super confused as to which one I’d end up picking, but you really narrowed it down to the best one. Thanks to your help and the blessing of the internet, we have found our first latex mattress and are ready to make our purchase. My husband and I are super psyched, and have been longing for an all natural mattress since forever, but never found one that was "economically" friendly :p

We are biased towards the SleepEz SELECT SLEEP 8500 model. I just wanted to take a moment and say how great you guys are on this forum! Really narrows down our work on researching and a shout out to my boy at SleepEz, Steve, who helped us make this decision too.

9. SleepMaster

Staff Member

@SomeGirl
    Thanks for your valued feedback, much appreciated. I think your choice of the SleepEz 8,500 is an absolute beaut, be proud of your decision. It not only offers great value but uses high quality material in its composition, and to my knowledge has the advanced customization process, in addition to having many options to chose from for its top layer. If you are not going to customize much, I would recommend SleepEz Roma mattress though :) Glad I could help!

I’m glad you were satisfied with the customer care; this is what I’ve heard from many customers. FloBed does focus a lot on customer satisfaction and this is an additive advantage to them! Definitely this is a quality to be appreciated.

10. bellweather

bellweather New Member

My wife and I just bought the Reverie sleep mattress, after reading several reviews online, we figured it was our perfect match. We are within the 100 day refund period and are a little iffy about the same. We like it, but it doesn’t provide the amount of comfort we were hoping for. Further, we wanted a mattress a little more plush in nature (while providing the same amount of support), but extending the sinkage feeling. My wife also suffers from lower back pain and often complains about waking up feeling numb. Any insight on the same? Please let me know. Thank you, in advance.

11. SleepMaster

Staff Member

Reverie Sleep mattress is a latex mattress that is able to customize the layers (if we are getting technical, the cylinders in the mattress can be rearranged) so as to provide the amount of support and comfort you like.

One of the main reasons leading to lower back pain is the over the softness of the surface of the mattress. This means that your mattress needn’t be as “plush” as you’d hope for it to be, in order to prevent these issues from worsening. Hence, a thicker comfort layer (if soft) would be more ideal for you.

Perhaps, varying configurations in the sides of the mattress would be required, but I would not consider the “further softening” of the mattress, considering it is already soft in order to combat lower back pain issues. That said if you have resolved these issues after rearranging the configuration of the mattress, and you still find the need for the comfort and support on the top layer, adding a topper would be effective, in terms of obtaining that feel most customers sought after, in addition to the relief of pressure points. Perhaps, a softer foam layer, or a wool topper or shredded latex topper would be the right option for you.

If you are finding that your shoulder is uncomfortable at various points of the night, it might be a sign that your pillow is not doing the best job in keeping your head aligned with respect to the rest of your body, resulting in awkward angles, causing spinal misalignment, affecting your overall posture.

12. CelL4

CelL4 New Member

I just got off the phone with the customer service of FloBeds that agreed to work with me on a reasonable price of the vZone technology, with addition to the customization on either side of the mattress. Logistically speaking, I don’t think I am completely ready to order yet, which is why I need a second opinion (hence, my appearance here). I am 90% sure that I am gonna go with vZone, however. I did get an additional discount (upon the 5% for being a member), which made me really happy, especially with the people that work at FloBeds and how honest they are and genuinely want to help! I feel like I am headed in the right direction, is there anyone who could give me some additional reviews on the zone mattresses? Does NC offer any similar zone indulgent mattresses? I want an insight on the contouring effect on the body. Thank you!

13. jackson64

jackson64 New Member

@CelL4
    In terms of the vZone, there are many considerations to be taken into account, such as your personal preferences, flexibilities, Body Mass Index, fitness level, body types, etc. Hence, in a way asking for anyone else’s opinion would not be the most suitable option, in my opinion.

Many people have not had similar experiences with what they have read from other’s experiences in the mattress world, and considering that this is a new innovation added into the market recently, it is even more important that you try it out for yourself in order to discover its true potential of making you completely satisfied.

Perhaps the most beneficial piece of advice I can pass on to you is trust FloBed itself, as they are a very successful business in the industry and have a lot of experience with regard to using latex zoning technology!