Christeli madeline mattress vs Dreamfoam ultimate dreams mattress - Any reviews?

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Kerrifl, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Kerrifl

Kerrifl New Member

Hey folks! I would like to be the change I want to see on this forum - a person who starts a thread for no particular reason, but sharing what he learned about the industry.

I may or may not be purchasing a new mattress of my own anytime soon, but that’s beside the point because I am not here for reviews or insight. I am here to share what I have learned over the past few weeks. The mattress world is an enticing one, and every day there’s a new lesson, a new word right there in front of you.

So anyway, this time I’ve decided that I want a memory foam mattress. Also note that my previous mattress is not completely broken down or anything, it’s been close to three years of using, and I feel for a change. Anyway, I’ve been doing some hardcore research the past 2-3 weeks and walking in and out of retail stores more than ever.

Even though I do have some options in mind, I am not saddened that I haven’t found “the one” yet, because I got a tonne of knowledge from all this running around. That said, I am not a mattress expert and am merely interested in the field and have an eye for memory foam. Plus, my research skills are known to be rather commendable, so whatever I will be talking about over here will either be research or taken directly from the first-hand experience.

So to start off, I must say that this forum had a bunch to do with how informative I was able to get in the mattress biz, and I like how everyone is so corky and asks/shares the stupidest of questions/thoughts without the fear of being judged. I think there’s nothing that goes beyond that.

So the initial few days, I spent a good amount of my time reading through forums, especially following reviews from the mattress wizards and got a (kinda) strong base for the main terminology used in the mattress world.From there, I took on to official websites, read personal reviews, the company’s reviews, and expectations and realized there were wild differences. I spent a good time sifting through feedback that looked authentic (and not fabricated by the company themselves).

I also took the liberty of hitting random stores here and there, just so I could find out if the reviews were in fact, true. I’d try out new ones I’d never heard of before too at the stores, and come back and start my research on them and add them to the list of (potential) buys. I started loving what I did that I figured I was getting obsessed!

One of the mattresses I got hooked on initially was the Tempur-Pedic (can you blame me) of model Cloud Luxe. I found Cloud Supreme fine too but it was too soft for my liking, but one thing I did not like about TP was their bizarre pricing.

One thing I noticed with the additive amount of walking in and out of these retail stores was that most of the brands that lie within the same range of comfort levels, that felt more or less the same had varying costs, and that didn’t make sense to me, so I went to the roots: I found out about ILDs, the density of the comfort foam as well as the base foam and how it plays an important role in pricing, because of durability.

Now for some weird reason on forums and reviews, I’ve noticed people getting hooked on the density of the foam equating to the firmness of the mattress and such, but I realized that in reality, all the density had to do anything with, was with the durability of the mattress as well as pricing. (Fun fact: did you know that the ILD of a mattress can be changed merely by the chemicals used in the foam?)

Essentially, the difference between a 3lb and 5lb dense foam is that they may appear to be the same as well as feel the same, but chances are the lighter one will die on you sooner than the 5lb. Also, the difference in cost of the densities of the foam is enormous, which is why they tend to infuse cheap products in the base, leading to lesser durability.

That said, my research has led me to two wonderful mattresses – Christeli Madeline and Dreamfoam and I am torn between the two.

2. Kerrifl

Kerrifl New Member

Sorry, forgot to give details about the mattresses. As I said, I think it’s safe to say that I might be a tad bit obsessed. Anyway, there was a point I was making with all this, I was to make a detailed comparison between the two mattresses mentioned in the title of this thread, and I’ll get right to it.

Christeli Madeline being the first one, was one of the few mattresses that spoke out to me. It was a keeper, but I wasn’t sure about the specifications. I liked that Christeli had many models to choose from (all at varying costs, which made me wonder about the quality).

Now granted that they are not the cheapest memory foam out there, but I was wondering if the value of the purchase would be appreciable. Plus, I wanted something unique, and I’m not sure I’d find anything to top this. Its base and comfort foams were encased in separate departments, further providing four handles that can help them gel in together. How neat is that?

Further, they had this cool technique of using different layers of foam for each level of the mattress on either of the sides, with the base being firm and the comfort being soft; leaving you the option to flip the bottom and being able to change the comfort level according to your needs. The base foam has a density of around 2 lb and the memory foam in the comfort layer is of density 5.3-8” (varying from model to model), all made and manufactured in America (ties also with American factories).

The mattress is known to sleep rather cool (which to me is crucial) and from what I found online, the feedback is surprisingly good (but not like in a suspicious way). Also, their return/warranty periods are both good, so I’m (almost) sold.

The second model that made me fall in love was the DreamFoam (Ultimate Dreams mattress) mattress that is available on Amazon. Now, I am a tad bit skeptical of making an online purchase, because I cannot perform any personal tests on it myself, but I did take the liberty of ringing up Customer care and speaking a good hour to them about the details.

I found out that it has excellent reviews (I was sent a link) and that it uses gel foam in the comfort layer making it sleep cooler than most memory foams. Seemed legit enough, until I found out there was no return policy, which to me seemed a little bizarre, considering I’m making an online purchase.

Warranty I’m not sure about, I didn’t bother asking after finding out this major glitch. I am also not entirely sure about the gel foam - how good is that stuff? From what I’ve heard it’s pretty destructive of the foam, yes?

I am not so sure on this model, even though the rep whom I spoke with was very calm and informative, he did mention they only sold that one model, so it’s not like I have my pick of options (for ILDs or anything) and additionally, it’s not like I can personally try them out. That, and if I end up buying something I don’t like, I can’t return it either.

The only reason I am still considering it is that reviews say that it is the TP equivalent of the Cloud Luxe (the one I liked during my first week of mattress shop hopping) and is reasonably priced. I’ve seen that the reviews are also good, and it’s a tad bit firmer than the Luxe, which is exactly what I was going for. I guess I am just waiting for my gut feeling to kick in so I can make a decision, because my initial feeling was leaning toward the DreamFoam, because of how cheap it was.

But now that I’ve done more research I wasn’t too sure it has a good value for the purchase. And now that I’ve waited it out a bit, the price has also gone up, and I’m not sure why. Anyway, when I make a decision, I’ll update, you guys.

3. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Thank you @Kerrifl for taking out the time and energy to write such a detailed and informative review. Indeed everyone on this forum is pleased by your response. Park Place is doing a brilliant job with its Christeli brand, and I hear they are performing miracles. I have not tried it out, but I’ve heard good reviews. I’ve especially heard wonders about the Christeli Briella? Any chance you’ve tried that out? I can send you some links that tell you it’s a good choice.

I do think the reason that the price went up for the DreamFoam is because the chemicals used in the memory foam construction had gone up in price, making them increase the overall price of the mattress increase (from what I gather, only be $100 though so that shouldn’t make a big difference to your decision). Also from your reviews, it’s pretty obvious which one is the better option, yes?

Kudos to you for entering into this crazy mattress industry a few weeks ago and coming out with flying colors; you are a true inspiration. I love your drive and how dedicated you are to get the information you came looking for and the hunger you have for knowledge, definitely commendable.

Also, research is key in mattress shopping today, but you also knew where to find legit information and how to avoid the fabricated parts, so really there’s nothing left to say, but good luck. I hope you make the right choice soon and honestly can’t wait for your next post of you reviewing your mattress based on personal experiences. Make sure you keep posting your thoughts/reviews about any mattress or their brand when you get the chance. Thanks.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly New Member

Hey, @Kerrifl!!!! What can I say, that was probably the first review I’ve seen in ages that wasn’t just bombarding the reader with a bunch of questions, but an actual informative piece? Proud of you, man. Keep it coming, btw and do tell if you decide on a mattress. I think the comparison of the two was rather informative and like @Mattresso said it’s obvious what you’re going to go with, but I too have been looking up both these models, the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams mattress on Amazon and the Christeli on the official website, and got confused, because in many places it is called Luxe-pedic. What is that, the same company? The link says Luxepedic, but the mattress on the site says Christeli, so I was wondering if that was a technical issue or…? Anyway, thanks for your help.

5. Kerrifl

Kerrifl New Member

Thanks for all the love. What can I say, the only mattress that reached out to me (in its way) was the Christeli. I went with the Madeline itself @Mattresso. What can I say, everything right from the moment I spotted it was smooth. I purchased around 20 days ago, and I remember having a detailed discussion with the salesman, firing him with all kinds of questions that popped into my mind about the mattress and even got his number, should I have any queries in the future. He was very informative and warm and didn’t seem annoyed by my being a total nuisance (wanted to write a good review of the service, and they are great). They were able to answer all my technical questions with acrobatic ease while making it an enjoyable, hilarious experience as well.

@Butterfly, yes actually they’d recently changed their name from Luxe-pedic to Christeli (I’m not sure I caught the exact reason, but something to do with pressure from another company that sounded similar?) but the company is exactly the same: trial, warranties, models, everything. Oh, and the model names have also been modified a little (even though they are the same in composition.

Don’t worry about the names, because the mattresses are the same so if you’ve tried them out before, then you’re gold. That said, here’s my 20-day review on the Christeli Madeline – It is a great mattress, I am finding it super comfortable and have been sleeping well on it. I do still suffer from some late night insomnia, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame that on the mattress because no mattress seems to take that away from me. Either way, I am finding myself sleeping comfortably and longer than I used to, so that’s a major plus.

Speaking about some things that are particularly worth mentioning. There is a particular amount of wrap around the support edges so that lying on edge will not make it crumble or fold in on itself like most memory foam mattresses. This was a win for me because I didn’t know about it before the purchase.

I also like the amount of sinkage provided by the mattress: the pressure points are responsible for a certain amount of sink, but it’s not an uncomfortable sink; not like you are stuck and can’t move around. Maybe it’s the protector that I have on top of the mattress so that it gets a little firmer, but I am happy that I can move around with ease.

All in all, it’s a good quality mattress, and I’m glad I found one, given that it’s memory foam. I take that back, because memory foam has a lot of benefits that big companies are degrading, just because they use the low-quality material.

Just make sure that the quality of the memory foam in the mattress is not low, and you get yourself a real treat. I know I did. That too for a person who is above 6 feet tall and weighs over 200 lbs, it is taking my weight well and holding up the mattress in a decent way, so I’m happy. If anyone is still confused about any parts or specifications of the mattress, I’d be happy to indulge in discussion. :)

6. sniperwolf

sniperwolf New Member

Hello @Kerrifl, thank you so much for your reviews and comparisons. I cannot tell you how much your review has helped me. I’ll let you know about my journey through the mattress industry myself, but honestly it wasn’t half as interesting as yours :”) I too have been an avid researcher and have been shopping day and night to find out more about specifics of the mattress for the past two weeks, and honestly I am beginning to scare myself with the information I’m getting. How were you keeping up with all the research?

Honestly, I feel a little lost because of all the diverse sorts of responses I see here and there; the reviews are all haphazard. Anyway, my husband and I have been using the same Tempur-Pedic mattress for the past decade and honestly, I feel it’s the cause of our chronic back pain and such. We were looking for the causes but only recently discovered it was the issue of the mattress, despite all the cash we’d spend on good chiropractors. We would go to sleep and wake up sore as ever, thinking it was because we are getting old, but it never once occurred to us that it was the mattress’ fault the whole time. Upon doing some research, I found out that using the same mattress for up to 5-8 years is the limit and this drove me nuts because we are well above the upper limit. So I started looking for new mattresses, and honestly couldn’t believe what I saw. The mattress industry is not what it was ten years ago, all the innovation of materials: there are hybrids, gel infused foam, innersprings with foam wrapped around it, basically anything that you can think of, they make. So I was confused with all the options I had at hand, and thank God I didn’t stop researching there because until a week ago I had my mind set on Serta!

To be honest, I was disconnected from the mattress world for a long time and didn’t know anything about the mattress specifications, until I came to this forum and read up on the Big S’s and how it’s best to avoid them, given that the majority of the materials used in it are of low quality, and thus the durability of it isn’t as much. Honestly, it still hurts how much we spent on the Tempur-Pedics, thinking it would last us a good two decades or so. With us being in our early 70s, I didn’t expect us to have to go mattress shopping ever again, but here we are. Anyway, last night, I stumbled upon the official website of Christeli and was awestruck. Quite the mattress, eh? I love their construction and materials used seem to be of high quality. I called up customer care almost instantly and had a good chat with them: nice, amiable people working down there, don’t mind spending on a company that is friendly and genuinely cares about customer needs. However, more than the Madeline, I like the Astoria model, don’t know if you’ve come across it, but it is 11.5 inches in thickness. The company seems real stand up and legit, and I would be happy to invest in it. Hopefully, we won’t ever have to go mattress shopping again.

7. Kerrifl

Kerrifl New Member

@sniperwolf, the mattress company keeps changing the names of the mattresses, don’t ask why they keep changing the names, I don’t run the company (although I wish I did, haha). I’m very impressed with its performance and how it’s able to lull me to sleep every single night with the same amount of comfort and great support.

I do realize that it’s still rather early and I should wait it out for a year or two to make any comments on that, so that’s what I’ll do. The sides and edges are all still very much intact; nothing seems to be lagging in any way. The edges are strong and do not collapse no matter how close I sleep next to it or use it to jump myself right onto the mattress.

What I love most about the mattress? For a person such as myself, who sleeps with a pet, that with time takes up the entire sleeping space on the mattress and finds herself often sleeping towards the edge of the mattress, there’s no sinkage (like an uncomfortable one).

I think I did mention this point about the mattress in my previous point, the fact that the edges hold it up rather well and that was a pleasant surprise for me because I’d never read that review anywhere and I think it’d help anyone who sleeps on the edge. I just called them up last night about another Christeli purchase I’d made a month ago for my nephew, and they are still as helpful as ever. Speaking of which, @sniperwolf, I don’t know if you’ve already gone and made your purchase of the Christeli mattress, but another model it has is the Versailles – it is BRILLIANT,I like it better than the Madeline’s, but it was for my nephew, so it’s not like I can keep it but he loves it. I got it in the Queen size (he’s a big boy), and its feel is amazing.

The support system on the edges is just as good as Madeline’s (if not better), and I think this is one of the properties of a Christeli mattress. Also, it’s about 10” in thickness, and it is quite softer than the Madeline. Also, the quality is the same, the specifications, if you’d like to check out, are in my first and second reviews of the Madeline’s and is what anyone would prefer. To summarize, I couldn’t be happier with my purchase(s), and I would recommend them to any buyer who would be interested. Given a choice, I’d buy the same product for my kids.

8. Richardarm

Richardarm New Member

Boy, oh boy am I happy I came on this forum and stumbled upon this thread just now because confusions have engulfed me whole. My previous mattress was a Tempur-Pedic, and it was good, just that I had issues with it, not because of the mattress but because I got it in a split California king size.

Now, while this did seem like a good option, in the long run, considering I would get married soon, it was NOT. I often slid to the middle finding myself aligning my back with the crack of the split, making me overly uncomfortable. I wouldn’t even realize I’d be sleeping on it and find myself in that very position when I’d wake up, causing backaches and tenderness in my entire body.

I think if you’re going to buy a split king, you need to make sure that the mattress you’re buying gels with your body. I didn’t find any issues with it initially but realized later that it just wasn’t working for me. That said, I still had no issues with Tempur-Pedic and liked its feel, even after years. I slept rather peacefully, so I am still considering the Tempur-Pedic. Plus, I have excellent relations with the customer care and find the company customer-friendly in general. So anyway, I’m a back sleeper and badly need a new mattress, only can’t decide which one.

Apart from this classic, I also did try out some other memory foam beds such as the Therapedic and whatnot, but honestly, they didn’t feel like the right choices for me, and it felt like I was missing something.

For some reason, I’ve always felt that the reason I had those back issues couldn’t be only the mattress split because I’ve heard so many positive reviews about the split King size! So I was going through this dilemma when I came across the Christeli (which made me do some additional research and find this thread on my favorite forum), and I’m so glad I did. I did some additional research on Christeli, and I liked their marketing, how they paid attention to what customers want, focused on innovation (what with the adjustable firmness and all) and the reviews are mostly positive.

But I am not sure how I will separate the fake reviews from the authentic ones in my head because honestly there are so many flukes online nowadays, it’s so hard to land on a decision. My gut says I should go for a brand that’s neither of these, and Tempur-Pedic is still $1000 more than the Christeli, so I am not sure what to do. I was hoping to get a new mattress by the end of the month, but I’m scared I’ll make a rushed decision that I’ll end up regretting. Any help, guys? I know enough about the Tempur-Pedic, and the reviews here on Christeli are geat, so should I consider that?

9. Kerrifl

Kerrifl New Member

@Richardarm, I completely understand your dilemma. Hell, I was there and trust me, it’s the worst. Thankfully, we have these forums that act as ideal platforms to be able to express ourselves freely, and we can not only depend on the official website descriptions, but on personal experiences from customers just like us, who have the same needs and most often do not want to spend too much money on something that is not going to last longer than 5 years, am I right? If you are worried that my review is bogus, I should warn you; it is the candid opinion of mine. It is MY opinion, and since it worked out for me, there’s no guarantee that it should work out for you.

Different people have varying needs from a mattress, and often it’s a challenging task to be able to put one’s needs against another’s and comparing it with a mattress. There’s only one way to find out whether a choice is ideal for you and that is personal testing. Then again, other factors play an important role, such as the durability, in which case I can assure you that the Christeli is great. Also, the sinkage is not uncomfortable and excessive: I don’t find myself sinking into the support layers of the mattress, but also don’t find myself floating on the surface. It is a good mix between the two, and I have never slept better :)

Now I also bought two models of Christeli, both of which are super comfortable, one is mine (12.5-inch thickness), and the other is my nephew’s (10 inches thick), and he stays with me, so I do manage to sneak some naps on his mattress as well. Honestly, though I think my mattress is softer and more comfortable (Madeline model).

I think it’s an excellent option for any sleeper who is looking for memory foam mattress, especially considering it sleeps rather cool as well. The customer care is also excellent, and they are beneficial and informative. They also don’t shy away from full disclosure of materials used in their construction process.

I have personally never owned a Tempur-Pedic myself, but I have laid down on a few in the retail store while I was on my mattress hunt, and they were super comfortable. I guess the main thing that made me go a different way was the price. I wasn’t sure it had the value I was looking for in my purchase. All I know is that both their durabilities are more or less the same, so it only makes sense to go with the cheaper one that uses equally high-quality material while being super comfortable and durable. I hope I was able to help in some way or another; surely I hope you don’t still think that I am trying to promote the Christeli’s on my own because that is not my intention.

Although, I think in your situation, the best option would be to call customer care for both companies and have a detailed discussion about what you’re expecting from a mattress, and they can help you decide for you. You may compare both brands based on what you’re specifically looking for in your mattress and make an informed decision that way.

10. Amelie

Amelie New Member

@Richardarm, don’t believe everything you see on this thread because I am an owner of the Christeli myself and honestly could not be more upset. The mattress is horrible. If you’ve still not made your choice, I’d say go with the Tempur-Pedic. Plus, you’ve already had a decent amount of experience with it. It’s always best to trust your instincts and what you feel about the mattress, over some hyped up information that is mostly bogus.

We bought the Christeli a few months ago, thinking it was beautiful and everything, plus this forum wasn’t beneficial in our negotiating skills. Honestly, we are stuck with a mattress that is completely useless, and I’ll tell you how. We made the mistake of purchasing the high-end model of their line, the Palais Grand Royale. Yep, sounds pretty posh and everything, right? My ASS. Oh no wait, you would find this very comfortable if you’re used to sleeping on concrete. That’s right; it’s like sleeping on rocks. Except, you wouldn’t regret that because rocks don’t cost you $5k! My husband and I hate it, and the worst part is nothing said on either of the forums I checked about this mattress are true. The rolling off part from the sides of the mattress HOLD. My husband often finds himself rolling off the edge of the mattress every other night, finding himself on the floor and complaining that the foundation and mattress not in sync with one another.

You’d think for a mattress that costs as much; they’d make sure details such as that are intact, right? Now we are stuck with this mattress because the super helpful customer care claims no one has ever had this complaint with this mattress and they seemed horrified by our response. Yes, because we have every intention of breaking down this company right? Why would they assume we made something like that up? Completely unacceptable. Also, I doubt no one has ever had the same problem with it; I’m sure many other people have found it uncomfortably firm. I wouldn’t recommend this mattress to ANYONE, not even my worst enemies.

11. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello, @Amelie,

I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience you seem to be experiencing with this mattress, and that it didn’t work out for you the way you hoped it would. But honestly, I am a little confused myself about the performance of your mattress and I suspect you either got a defective piece, or you didn’t buy it from an authentic source. As for the way it feels, I’m sorry that you’re not comfortable with it, but I have never heard of the review that it was as hard as concrete (which even if is an exaggeration, comes nowhere near the other reviews, so that concerns me). Also, I am not sure how much you know about mattresses, but different people have varying perceptions of what is a comfortable choice for them. Many factors play along with this, for instance, the PPP (that is, Posture & Alignment, Pressure Relief and Personal Preferences). Now there is no doubt that this mattress makes use of only high-quality material, so the fact that the performance of the mattress didn’t live up to your expectations is more of personal issues. Honestly, I have to side with customer care in this scenario, because I’ve never heard of this complaint either.

Also, with regard to the firmness of the mattress, I know it’s not possible to conclude that what you felt is wrong because everyone has a different sense of firmness. What might be super firm to you might be medium firm to someone else, and what may be soft to them might be medium firm for you, and so on. There’s no concrete way to tell whether a certain mattress’ firmness will be ideal for you and another person at the same time. This also does depend on other factors, such as body type, shape, weight, sleeping positions, style, the frame of reference for firmness and so on. There are so many varying forms of firmness and softness in the market that it’s not possible to tell which one is ideal, also considering that some people are more sensitive to firmness than others. Note that this is completely subjective of a term and more of an art. No point in dissing what @Kerrifl said because that was again, personal experience and what he said about his mattress is what he perceived to be an ideal mattress.

12. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Also, if I might add, if you’ve only recently purchased this mattress, I would advise you give it some time to truly break into itself and become the best of what it is. This period is an initial couple of weeks for it to lose any false firmness of stiffness it may have picked up from either of the stages of manufacturing (or even shipping) and needs to be waited out; there’s no other go. In this process, the cover of the mattress with stretch and loosen up a little, the materials in the mattress used for construction will settle in better, and your body will become more and more accustomed to the way it sleeps on the mattress and gets used to the sleeping surface. You’d be surprised, the number of people who had had completely contradictory claims about the same mattress, when they first got it, and when it underwent the break in the process successfully. The best thing to do is wait it out, doesn’t take more than a few weeks and the ideal timeline ranges from about three weeks to two months, but varies depending on the sleepers, and their specifics. Note that higher density mattresses can take longer to undergo this break in period and that’s only reasonable.

Also, one of the major benefits of your mattress is its level of innovation: you can change the levels of firmness depending on your liking and customize it from bottom to top as and when you like. Arranging the layers according to your preference is something not most mattresses offer, so you should appreciate that and make use of it if you’re finding the surface of the mattress to be too firm. Also, if you get confused with how to do this, they are only a call away, and I’m sure they’d be more than happy to assist you.

13. Joyce McGregor

Joyce McGregor New Member

Okay @Amelie, I am pretty sure most of what you said is an exaggeration of the truth, but the fact that stood out was the fact that you got it for $5000? I can assure you that Christeli does not sell any of their models at that rate. Chances are you got ripped off. Also, I am not sure where you got your mattress from or if you had any other perks, like warranty or trial periods, but all I can say is you need to be very careful while sifting through what’s authentic and what’s not. I agree that Christeli can have confusing options of changing their policies now and then, but what they do have now is an exchange only policy, so I’m not sure why you’re not able to go through with that. Did you call them up and explain your situation to them? How exactly were they not able to assist you, if you could elaborate a little more on that, I’m sure we all would find that beneficial. Also, how far along are you in your trial period? I have never heard that the Christeli customer care was ever neglectful of anyone’s queries, which is why I need to know how they shunned your offer.