Canadian memory foam mattress manufacturer

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by JustinHoff, Feb 15, 2018.

1. JustinHoff

JustinHoff New Member

First off, so glad to be here. I have read your posts and always admired how much thought you put into all your answers, and also your dedication to this industry is truly admirable. Wish there were more gems like you. Keep up the good work on this forum, and we will keep posting. Anyway, like any other people who join forums for a reason, I too have a bit of a situation that I’m hoping to tackle and hope you can help me with it.

Now I know that many people on this forum have been showing a certain amount of hatred towards some memory foam mattress manufacturers, so I am making sure to steer clear of that because honestly, I don’t know of a better group of people that I could trust with my purchasing decisions. Also, I love how everyone is so considerate of each other, always posting complaints, no matter how small just to eliminate the chance that someone else won’t have to go through the same frustration that they did.

Before I continue with memory foam, let me also assure you that I was giving latex a fair shot (consideration, really) and even tried it out at a showroom a couple of blocks away from my house, but honestly, I wasn’t sure how comfortable I’d be with it. It was not only a little too firm for my liking but also lacked the sinking feeling that I usually crave.

I kept going back to the memory foam decision, but that was difficult because all my friends are vegan and were forcing me to get a latex mattress. Still confused, I decided to spend the night at one of my friend’s, just to prove to them (and mostly to myself) that I was not making the right decision by succumbing to peer pressure. I slept horribly; there’s no better way to put it. I kept waking up at random instances, because of how hard it was against my back.

It may just be because I am a light sleeper, but the pushback from the mattress that I experienced was excruciating to a point I could not describe. I had to wake up and sleep on the couch to relieve myself of the pain. The reason I am bringing this up is just so that I don’t encounter the same experience I did on another forum wherein this user kept pushing the use of a latex mattress. I know that it is a greener mattress, but as @sleepmaniac has said in many posts, latex is not for everyone, and DEFINITELY not for me. So I am just going to stick with memory foam.

That said, I want to steer clear of any big brand that makes use of low-quality memory foam in their mattresses, but at the same time, my budget is not very high. So in simple terms, I am in search of a high-end Tempur-Pedic mattress made of memory foam, but I cannot afford anything above $2k (I’d be happiest if I can keep it within $1-1.5k). My query is simply this, I’ve seen you recommend many brilliant local manufacturers to customers often, and I think that there’s no better way I can get what I truly want, high-quality products without the high-ended prices that come with their globally recognized brands. If you could direct me to some good manufacturers local to Calgary in Alberta (Canada) that would be amazing.

I am not sure how it works with local manufacturers also because I’ve never made use of this service, but I would love to take advantage of it and get to know (and possibly publicize?) the manufacturer. Any insight on the same would be very much appreciated. Also without this forum, there’s no way I would’ve known to stay away from the Big S brands.

2. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @JustinHoff and thank you for your kind words. I wish to say the same thing I say to everyone who appreciates the work on this forum, it’s because of your time and energy spent into posting on this site that it stays active, so really, kudos to you guys.

Further, since you are in search of local manufacturers in the Calgary region, I would suggest the top three that I have recommended before:

• The Mattress and Sleep Company (www.tmasc.ca/): This is cute little sleep shops which have stores in Calgary as well as Edmonton and are known for their high-quality premium mattresses. Daniel, the owner of this store, is a very hardworking owner and I honestly cannot tell you how impressed people are with their work. I recommend them whenever I get the chance to. They are known to include in their construction processes, high-quality products as a result of which, they have very pleased customers. They carry two models of customizable latex mattresses, the Sleeptek and Berkeley Ergonomics, both of which are great mattresses with potential. Other than this, they also have customizable pocketed coil mattresses.
    • Sleep Boutique: This local manufacturer makes two-sided mattresses (that is something specific that many customers are in search of) and sells mattresses from a variety of materials such as cotton, latex, foam, and memory gel and memory foam. They are known to build quality products on a limited budget and have highly pleased customers.
    • Halstead Sofa & Mattress Makers: This is one of my favorite local manufacturers that produces a wide variety of high-quality products. If you are looking for latex, then there’s no better value you can get in the industry, than with the Halstead. Plus, they have the option of making it customizable on either side or each layer within the mattress that will suit the customer’s needs.
    If you didn’t already figure this out, the most value you can get from any mattress purchase would be most if you invest in a local manufacturer, because they are transparent with their details and only use high-quality products. Also, they make sure that you’re involved in the whole process and they do not shun away from your opinions. I think it’s the best way you can get high-quality products while avoiding high-end budgets.

3. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood New Member

@JustinHoff, welcome to this forum.

I was also browsing the internet to find some good online store in Canada that offers good quality memory foam mattresses (trust me, I understand what you mean with latex). Also, what’s impressive about this is that one of the customer care rep's owned the TP Plush mattress and he took the time to explain the differences between Plush and Therapy brand. I am almost certain I am going to go with the TP Plush, just have to do some additional research before I confirm this decision. Also, not to get you all hyped up or anything, but they do seem to have an additional discount on that model in Calgary, you should check it out.

4. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Hello @Daniel Hood

First off, you didn’t provide the name/link of the site wherein you are planning on making this purchase, and also mentioned that you were able to speak to the customer care? That I will admit was a good call, but honestly how authentic is this site? I am not sure where you were even able to find this site, but unless someone who is a professional at work suggested this to you, through means of this forum or any other for that matter, I would suggest you do not make the purchase just yet.

Also, right before considering the Rest Therapy mattress I would ensure that they mention to you in detail about the specifications of the mattress. First off, the layers of the mattress, the number as well as the types of foam used in each of the layers as well as their densities. The reason is simple; the Primo International is the manufacturer that exports its memory foam and polyfoam to this company to make their products, which as you can imagine does not make use of high-quality products while manufacturing your foam. So essentially you’re putting to threat not only your future mattress but also the durability of it. If they do happen to say some 3 lb memory foam, my suggestion would be to lay off of it, completely because they cannot be trusted. Another important thing I would recommend you do is to find out whether or not this foam that they make use of in the construction process is CertiPUR certified or not. This is very important to find out whether what they are making does not include any harmful products, and I’m not sure if Primo International is listed on their official website of being CertiPUR certified. Hence, anything that isn’t listed on that must be avoided.

There’s no doubt that I would steer clear myself, and also keep any customer who comes to me for help away from any mattress that makes use of cheap materials in its construction. I would further not recommend you make an impulse buy of any mattress without being sure of the quality of the materials that are used for the mattress. You never know what is used within the layers, and the cheap Chinese uncertified foam is honestly the worst idea in my opinion. I’m not saying that what you felt was wrong, definitely it’s possible that you tried out the mattress in some showroom nearby and it felt like heaven, but the truth is that you cannot tell the quality of any mattress by simply feeling it because we cannot tell what lies beneath the layers. While the initial showroom feel might render some pretty exciting sparks, it’s always better to take preventive measures and research (or ask some of us) who are more experienced in the field. Also, there’s a chance that they copy the design of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses and ensure that they feel just the same way, without subtly mentioning what model it is similar to. This increases the risk of inferior quality foams being used, and you end up cursing Tempur-Pedic for their low-quality mattresses when in reality it was your fault that you purchased from an unrecognized source. This may be the result of bad judgment and is only harming yourself. I suspect they are being promoted for some reason that they do not deserve, and my honest opinion would stay away from it and certainly stop promoting it to others, by claiming they are cheapest there.

5. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood New Member

Hi @Mattresso, so the funniest thing. I remember a while ago you hating on my post when I was subtly trying to promote the Primo International simply because I felt the product is good, and you mentioned that they were not present on the CertiPUR site. I was randomly scanning this list again, and what do you know, this bad boy is present on the list (you should check it out just to make sure. So I guess now its fine to recommend this, considering they are officially not making use of harmful products in their mattress? LOL.

6. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

@Daniel Hood, yes I saw that a few days ago, and I am glad to see that they are finally on the list of being CertiPUR certified, I mean it was about that time already, you know what I mean? Anyway thanks for bringing that to my attention as well as notifying others, that is an upgrade, and now people need to look at the densities to ensure that they are not still made of cheap quality product to ensure the longevity of the mattress. But thank you again for bringing this to our attention, much appreciated.