Can i sleep on my memory foam mattress right away or wait 48 hours

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Mr_Polite, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Mr_Polite

Mr_Polite New Member

Hey guys, I am happy to be here. I’ve been visiting this forum for a year now (just a silent viewer) and am finally writing a post! I just bought myself a UD (Ultimate Dreams) mattress, which was a result of tedious researching and hence I’m happy with the purchase and couldn’t wait for it to come in. When it did, however, I was surprised because upon unboxing it, the mattress appears to be way too soft (it looks like a giant marshmallow, and feels like one too). Now, I realize that expecting it to regain its natural shape in just a few hours is probably insane (I’m sorry, I’ve never ordered a mattress in a box before, and so I am not aware of the usual decorum), but does it really take up to 48 hours sometimes to get into shape and everything? I feel like perhaps that’s a little too late.

So after we get the mattress, are we expected to wait it out for like 24-48 hours or so before sleeping on it? This got me a tad bit confused because I do recall reading somewhere that it takes its sweet time to inflate into its normal form and then only regains its firmness, upon which we are free to sleep. What about before that. The thing is, I found out that this mattress was getting shipped in today, and took my chances; I threw out my old mattress and now have nothing. I think I’m going to take my chances and sleep on it just for tonight because sleeping on the floor is not an option (I also threw out my old topper because it was sagging).

That said, I am a little confused as to how a mattress that feels like a giant marshmallow can support my body’s weight! I laid straight on it for a good 15 minutes two hours after I unboxed it and was surprised. Also, concerning pressure points, my wife was terrified of this issue for this very mattress, but I doubt it’s going to be a problem. Anyway, I’ll update Y'all on that later, perhaps after a night or two on this beauty? I am still freaking out about this support system and how sturdy it is. I guess looks are deceiving. I was wondering if any changes are noticeable after the 48-hour wait (that is after it has inflated into its original shape). Should I be looking out for any surprises, because I outright hate them?

Any information about this would be super helpful; I’ll keep writing about my experiences with it as and when they happen. See you

2. brandon

brandon New Member

Hello, @Mr_Polite. What can I say, my wife and I figured the same thing would happen to us when we first received ours as well. I guess our situations are pretty similar too, because I being a total douchebag, threw out the mattress as soon as we made this purchase (even though it did take an extra week to ship in the mattress) and we had to sleep in our sleeping bags (which in all honesty was better, and my wife did thank me, so there’s that). But one thing I cannot stand is a mattress that looks like it’s going to fall apart. I’m a little on the heavier side, and therefore for the first day after it inflated and everything, I was scared to set foot on it, dreading the thought of it collapsing at the very touch of my leg! But I’m not going to lie; I did like how soft it felt against my skin. I usually go for firm mattresses (because I don’t like admitting to my wife that I like soft mattresses), but this one was a real treat. It did feel sort of out of place here and there, but that faded in less than a week’s time. Got better sleep and even though we wondered if our mattress got mixed up with someone else’s during delivery, it’s beginning to grow on us, and we are happy.

With regard to the changes, you were asking about, no, none as such. After we unboxed it, we let it breathe a little, hoping the inflation would occur sooner, but it did take its sweet time (much like yours, pretty sure it’s a company thing) and seemed full. If I may give you one tip, it’s to change your foundation. If you’re asking about any changes that may have occurred with our sleeping styles, then yes, maybe. Our old mattress was all rough and tough and was going through some serious issues before we had to throw it out (the best night of my life) and we always found ourselves waking up stiff, painfully at that. But the first night we slept on this, we did not wake up in pain, but it was weird. I can say there was this weak soreness throughout my body, but nothing I paid too much attention to. After two to three days, I noticed this soreness getting more evident in the pressure point areas, such as my neck and shoulders. This helped me find out that the soreness was caused by the change in my pillow, I got a new one to go with this mattress, and it was thicker than usual. The next night, I slept with a super flat pillow and woke up super refreshed and perky. Perky, obviously because there was no soreness, and I hadn’t slept that well in days. I guess one thing I did take away from that experience is that the older I get, the flatter my pillows get too.

About your mattress not being supportive enough for you, I had the very same concern. Ours did not resemble marshmallows, but it did feel too soft; softer than I’d hoped for and I was concerned the effects it was going to have on my back. Now I look forward to going back home and plumping down right onto my lush mattress that is firm enough to take my weight, but soft enough to take away all my problems. This bed is the ultimate sleep provider (only because I don’t dream, lol) and I’ve never slept better. I think you should give it some time to make an impression on you, it’s a stand-up mattress and works wonders.

3. Joyce McGregor

Joyce McGregor New Member

Hello, @Mr_Polite. I’m glad you finally got a chance to post a new thread!

The uncompressing of the mattress does take a little while, and it does depend on the composition of the mattress to determine when it will completely change back to its original shape, but there is no harm, whatsoever in sleeping on the mattress right away. Hell, that’s what the mattress is for, lol. Anyway, latex usually takes just a few seconds to expand into its original shape whereas polyfoam may take longer (not too much longer though). I guess the rate at which it expands does depend a great deal on the degree to which it was compressed to get fit into a box!

This is usually the response seen from customers who use latex mattresses, and all the honor goes to the material itself. One of the main reasons people even choose latex is because of its resilience, unique ILDs to go with it while extending the right amount of comfort as well as other factors, such as point elasticity: which in itself is a super interesting point. I think that many customers find it fascinating that pressing your hand into the mattress vs. actually lying down on it will tell you the difference. Latex is so widely popular mainly because of how responsive it is, without being saggy as well as soft and provides an excellent support system, simultaneously.

4. Mr_Polite

Mr_Polite New Member

@Joyce McGregor, thank you for your feedback. Anyway, it’s been close to two weeks since this bad boy got shipped to our front door, and the mattress is performing well. I am sleeping better, but I do find it to be much softer than I wanted it. The one at the store (which we tried just for the feel of the mattress) was not this soft, that’s for sure, and I am wondering if it’s going to get firmer? I doubt that’s possible and from what I’ve read mattresses only get softer with time, yes? If that’s the case, I have an issue, in that I do not want this level of softness. Its’ way too plush (which my wife is not complaining about), but I could do with some additional firmness. Obviously, this is not a necessity; I guess I would just feel better sleeping on it with that. I must say though, that this ILD level of firmness does come with a great amount of support! It’s insane how this marshmallow mattress takes my weight and aligns my body just right with my spine. One thing I have noticed though is that I sleep just fine when I plop myself onto the mattress, but when I wake up, I do feel a tad bit sore, and I’m not too sure of the reason. I do use a thick pillow, but I’ve been using the same pillow for years now, and I highly doubt it’s the case that @brandon had. I am going to give it a few weeks’ time though, because from what I hear mattresses usually take at least that long to grow on you, and I’m in no rush. Oh yeah, another complaint I have apart from it being the marshmallow queen is that it sleeps hot, which is something I was so not expecting from a latex mattress. Hell, the very reason I shifted from memory foam was to avoid this. I was sleeping hot constantly and waking up cranky. Anyway, what’s done is done, and I was wondering if there was anything we could do from our side to make this better? The funniest part is, when I first lie down on it, it seems just fine, but with time, the more I find myself sinking into the mattress, the hotter the sleeping surface becomes. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I feel super hot, and the surface is covered by my perspiration (we don’t leave the air conditioner on all night). I would like to make the feeling I feel when I lie down on it initially, last for the entire night, as well as the lack of heat, felt at that point. I was considering the options of toppers, but then again I don’t want to risk adding any extra plushness to the mattress (which my wife would be all for). As I said, if there’s any topper that would be responsible for adding any firmness to the mattress, I’m all in for that too, but not necessary.

Does anyone know what kind of mattress pads would be ideal for this bed? Or if not the bed, for a heavy/hot sleeper who wants some more firmness on the mattress? I indulged myself into a little experiment, and took the comfort layer from my previous mattress (which I saved before throwing it out) and placed it on this mattress, and I almost died by the amount of plushness that was received. Seeing my chagrin, my wife made a quilt of her own, which was super thin, and when I slept with that over the mattress, I felt it was beautiful and was much cooler than the mattress in itself. What would you say about getting a cotton/ woolen topper for my bed? Whichever keeps the surface cooler and breathable.

5. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

The best combination with any latex layer is usually a thin layer of quilting foam which is your best shot at keeping your sleeping surface cool as well as breathable enough. While this holds, there are other factors that need to be considered in terms of regulation of temperatures, such as how far you’re sinking into the mattress, with regard to the cover and individual mattress layers within, that cannot be changed, as well as other factors, such as your body weight, type, shape, positions, etc. wherein the factors that can be changed include mattress pads and such. You’d be surprised to know that even making use of the right kind of sheets and bedding makes a big difference to the sleeping surface. One thing that’s good about latex (and even polyfoam) is that they are not heat sensitive and are not capable of producing heat retention issues, which memory foam has. Even though any material used in the construction of a mattress will have a natural tendency to relax upon provided a constant supply of pressure, latex does not get softer with heat, so you needn’t worry about that.

I think your best shot would be going with a woolen topper. Do not get fooled by the word “woolen,” it is not cut out for winters or anything (a common misconception) and is a brilliant material for toppers. It is responsible for adding some localized relief of pressure as well as less sinkage into the mattress. But the most important factor of wool is that it is excellent for regulating temperatures and keeping the surface super breathable as well as cool. Also, I’m not sure that adding firmness to a mattress is an option. Imagine it this way – if we were to take a firmer layer and add it to the soft layer below, the softer layers would compress more (which can be shifted, but is still not an ideal option). The experiment you had with the quilted comfort layer from your previous mattress is just an additional layer of foam or something equally worse (perhaps some other synthetic fiber) that was bound to add more plush to your mattress, and there’s no surprise that it didn’t suit you well. But your handmade quilt, which I am not sure what material it was made from, or what density it contained, confirmed my doubt that perhaps a sheet is enough to provide this coolness to you. Since from what you’ve said, it appears that the amount of softness you have it already way too much and that you’re looking for something a tad bit firmer, consider looking at your sheets and bedding. Tell me exactly which ones you’re using as well as the mattress foundation (example, if it is the wire grid foundation or something else).[/user][/user]

6. Mr_Polite

Mr_Polite New Member

@sleepmaniac. Well, at the moment I am not using a protector for the mattress because I wanted to check out what the mattress was like before I went with buying that. I am not using any fancy sheets; if I am right, they are made from polyester, perhaps cheap microfiber. I should mention that we are using the same sheets that we were using on our older mattress and for some odd reason it seems hotter (even though it’s a latex mattress). I don’t know if the sheets are the contributors to this heat, but sure hope so because they can be easily replaced. My mattress does use a wire grid foundation though, just as you’d assumed. Even though the pillow that I use is a material that I’m not 100% sure myself (it used to be memory foam, but I had it replaced because of how sweaty my neck was getting), it is better than what I had before, and I am sweating less on my neck now. My back is still sweatier than expected. From what I can tell, the top of this mattress (the cover) is not traditionally quilted; but the one that was homemade (even I’m not sure of the material used to make it) was super cool to lie on and might just do for the time being.

7. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Well from what I can tell, all things considered, there’s a good chance that the main cause is one of those factors itself. Chances are the amount of sink that you’re experiencing on this mattress is a little more than your previous mattress, and the thinness of the sheets on top of the mattress may be providing too thin a layer of breathability, causing the issue in the first place. Further, it could also be the reason why there is a lesser amount of airflow between the layers as well as could result in a layer of insulation around your body. Since you’d mentioned that you were looking to reduce the amount of plushness from your mattress as well as the sink factor, I think that a woollen mattress pad or cover would be an ideal choice, of course given the advantages of it being an excellent temperature regulator as well, you would benefit from it in all ways. If you get a mattress pad, you’d get a thicker layer as compared to a topper or a protector, and does have a certain level of high ground because it has some protective properties that the other two do not have. If I were to recommend a woollen protector to you (that is not as thick as a mattress pad, keep in mind and may not add to the plushness, which is what you wanted), that has the properties of being stretchy and water resistant as well as super breathable, I’d have to go with Dormeir. It is an unbelievably comfortable protector, made of wool, thereby extending all the properties we have talked about and is excellent in providing a cool surface to sleep on. Note that it is made of high-quality material only and is available on their official website and a few other places. Also, I think I must tell you that you should still just wait it out for a bit; you never know when your mattress will just up and surprise you, and it’s best to wait for that sort of stability to set into your mattress, before jumping the gun. Plus, once it has stabilized, you may then proceed with whatever decision you want to make about its comfort or the way it feels.

8. Mr_Polite

Mr_Polite New Member

I cannot agree more. This mattress is beyond anything I’ve ever experienced before, honestly was a little nervous experimenting with latex like that, but I am happy with my decision. I do think that it’s smarter to wait it out for a bit and honestly it does seem to be growing on me. Also, an update, it is not sleeping as hot as it used to, which is weird because within a week’s time I am experiencing all these weird, new characteristics putting me out of line. Which is where my question comes in, how long does a mattress usually take to become stable within a household? Forgive me if this is a stupid question because I feel it is. But is there a particular timeline, or say a period within which I can expect it to become stabilized completely?

9. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Hello @Mr_Polite, and let me start off by saying there are no stupid questions. If everyone thought that way, we wouldn’t have this forum and all these exciting discussions to begin with. I will gladly answer any question that seems answerable to me, so you needn’t worry about that. Let ’s dive right into it, shall we? The stabilization of any mattress has a big deal to do with the personal preferences of the person, also factors that affect them, such as their body types, sleeping positions and such. But further, there are some external factors as well that play an important role in telling you how long it would take to take on a stable stance. It does, in fact, have a time span, and I’d say from what I’ve seen and experienced, this period can range from a couple of days to 2.5-3 months! I know everyone wants to stay closer to the lower limit, but that does vary from situation to situation. For many customers that I’ve dealt with, their first month has utmost importance. They will start experiencing new things on the mattress, and sometimes people are amazed at how they feel weeks into sleeping on the mattress from what they felt when they first laid down on it. As I said, it does depend on the person. The process of stabilization is all about how much consistency you experience every night, sleeping on the same mattress, you start to see a pattern; almost like you know what to expect from the mattress after a certain period, after which it is not likely to change much, either. The stabilization process starts to kick in when you start experiencing the same things on a daily basis and can predict what you’re about to feel. Once this consistency is maintained, you can say that you’ve successfully hit your stabilization process of the mattress, and any period before this would be a good time to invest in any accessories for the mattress to increase its plushness or add a mattress pad. The finer tuning process or any other adjustments to the mattress are better to be made after the stability has kicked in because before that you are not sure how the mattress might change your sleeping experience from what it once was.

Now even though stabilization of the mattress seems like a fun experience, it is during this time span that you begin to notice the value of the mattress leaning towards a certain degree: either for the better or worse and often it becomes clear to you after 3-4 weeks (at max).

If you were to ask me what factors this stability was to depend on, it has a bunch of answers: first off, the person sleeping on the mattress, their body type, sleeping style, flexibility, potential health risks and such. It is also dependent on how the body is used to sleeping on the previous mattress, the range of differences between your previous and current mattress, what kinds of testing were performed on the mattress (by you) and other external factors as well (in your case, your sheets).

10. Mr_Polite

Mr_Polite New Member

@Mattresso, thanks to you, I now have a clear picture of how stabilization works. Honestly, it’s been a few weeks since I made this purchase, and I think I’m beginning to reach a stabilized point with this mattress, in that I know how it’d behave if I were to plop on it in a particular way, so I guess that’s saying something? That said, I am very tempted to buy the Natura 2nd Aloe Mattress (from OSP (organic sleep products)). I am not sure if that’s the most productive thought atm, but I can always switch it to something else, or return it if I want a better option. For now, I think that what I’m experiencing on the mattress is different, but maybe for the best. I wake up to my muscles feeling super stretched out, which haven’t been done in years, and hey, maybe that’s a wakeup call (talk about being optimistic, yeah? ;) ). Anyway, I do think that the feel of the mattress has almost been memorized by me and I am beginning to like it. That said, I am going to need to get that woolen cover for the mattress, because the burning sensations continue, and since it’s been a safe couple of weeks, I think I’m not making a rushed decision about this. Also, I was thinking about this because my dog just won’t get off this mattress (apparently she loves it better than the owners) and I feel like it’s time we gave it some extra protection. I am pretty sure that my perception about the mattress feels is still a little messed up because I cannot tell whether it’s firm or soft atm, but I like it. Also, what about the cradle? It is something I ignored from the moment it came in, and I was just focused on this lack of firmness, but how deep should it sink into the mattress if I use my thumb?

11. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I second your thought about investing in Natura 2nd Aloe Mattress. It would be a good idea considering that your dog is officially an avid member of your mattress ownership (haha, aren’t they all!) and also the protector will have good effects on your mattress by providing a thicker layer. Also, you’re safe with the brand if that was your concern, OSP makes use of the only good quality product, and the prices are reasonable (I’d say, and since you’re considering it, I am assuming you’re fine with the prices too). From what I’ve heard, their performance is also good, for the amount of quality that they provide and has a good value.

The depth of the cradle does not have much importance with regard to how much you sink into the mattress, in an even fashion. I am not sure about you, but from the majority of personal preferences, what I’ve concluded is that many people like to stay within their mattresses: a suitable amount of sinkage to be present. This could further be a reason why the majority of the population indulges in memory foam, even if the material in itself is cheaper, and not as durable as the rest. There are others who like to stay on their mattress, and cannot stand the feeling of sinking in. I am getting the feeling you are amongst this group. I think that the amount of cradle one would prefer on their mattress is strictly a personal preference, and as long as the distribution of the weight is even and adequate, and the pressure points are not as much on the mattress. The cradle measurements do not have much to do with how it performs, and a certain depth of sinkage won’t be very helpful in measuring how well it can align your body with respect to your spine. As you said, it appears that the mattress is taking some time to get used to your body and your joints are getting affected; your muscles are taking longer to loosen up to the alignment of the body. I have a strong feeling that the wool may play an important role too since it comes with a thick layer of itself, it may be helpful in providing some extra softness to the top as well as help in releasing potential pressure in pressure points as well. Further, it can be helpful in reducing tension in muscles!