Buy CPAP Machine Without Prescription?

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by bruce_lee1, Sep 20, 2017.

1. bruce_lee1

bruce_lee1 New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

I am Stephen Woong from Da Lat, Vietnam. I had issues with sleep apnea, and my girlfriend said I snore very heavily and sometimes pause breathing. When I informed my friend about this, he suggested me to get a CPAP machine which would be highly beneficial. Now the thing is getting a prescription for CPAP machine is very difficult in Vietnam and is a long process.

Can anybody in this forum tell me what exactly a CPAP machine is and how to get a CPAP machine without prescription either in the US or Europe?

Thanking all in advance.

2. rjgregory

rjgregory New Member

Hi Steve,

First of all welcome to the forum. Though not a doctor, I will give you a brief description about sleep apnea and CPAP machine.

Sleep apnea is a disorder associated with sleep where one has periods of shallow breathing or pauses during the sleep. Each pause usually lasts for some seconds to even 1 or 2 minutes and can occur numerous times during the night. In a majority of cases, the pauses are followed by loud snoring, which can usually be accompanied by snorting or choking sound. Since the episodes disturb a person’s sleep, he/she either feel exhausted during the day or might have sleepiness during the daytime.

Sleep apnea can be treated by weight loss, surgery for clearing pharyngeal or nasal obstructions, neurostimulation as well as CPAP machine among others. CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) or APAP (Automatic Positive Airway Pressure) are small devices which can help in effectively treating obstructive sleep apnea (a type of sleep apnea). These devices splint user's airway open while he/she is sleeping through use of pressurized air. A user typically uses a plastic face mask that is connected to a CPAP machine using a flexible tube. Using CPAP correctly and under guidance can help in reducing sleep apnea to a great extent.

However, the CPAP machine is not without its share of problems. You can go through this link https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/in-depth/cpap/ART-20044164?pg=1 to know some of the problems associated with CPAP machine.

3. bl0p

bl0p New Member

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

My question to you is your condition diagnosed by a doctor because a wrong diagnosis can be fatal. Also, the doctor would prescribe appropriate setting on the machine which is very important, lack of which would render the device useless. Moreover, you would need a power adapter in case you are successful in getting hold of a CPAP machine.

4. NoviceLearner

NoviceLearner New Member

Whatever the rules, it is available on Amazon. I think section 510(k) applies, so they can list and sell them.
    http://amzn.to/2yW2OrJ

5. anthonyagravante

anthonyagravante New Member

Hello to everybody

I had same kind of issues as Steve has and did a sleep study in Gurugram, India (Gurgaon previously) and since I am from UAE, I could not buy a machine without domestic script, so had to undergo the same process again and now I am proud owner of a ResMed AirStart™ 10, at a cost which is way too high and something which I would like to forget immediately.

6. CplCrunch

CplCrunch New Member

I think you can check with Craiglist, might be helpful.

7. TheStark

TheStark New Member

Thanks all for your responses and special thanks to @rjgregory for explaining sleep apnea and CPAP. I would check with my doctor and only then get a machine and thanks to the wonderful links posted..would go through them and check out.

Will keep you posted in this matter.