Best Tempurpedic Mattress for Side Sleepers

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by Nicole, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Nicole

Nicole New Member

We are both side sleepers. I weigh in at over 100 lb and prefer a soft bed, while the DH is close to 200. I was wondering if Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud Luxe or their AlluraBed with a quilted TEMPUR-HD pillowtop would be a good choice. I am looking for advice and suggestions about these mattresses. By the way, is an adjustable base like the TEMPUR-Ergo Plus really needed for side sleepers?

2. MateRuss

MateRuss New Member

First off, how comfortable anyone feels in a mattress is highly subjective. However, I can give you some generic info to help you decide better.

Mattresses from Tempur-Pedic come with three types of comfort layer, the 5.34# Standard, the 7.00# HD, and the 4.1# ES. The Standard type is the most firm among the three. And in a way, it is the one that is least subjective in feel. The extra soft (ES) type is just that, very soft and you will find the Cloud, the Cloud Supreme have it on top of Standard. Side sleepers find this soft layer gives them a comfortable cradling at the shoulder and hips. That level of softness should be fine for you. On the other hand, your husband may like the more expensive Cloud Luxe or the AlluraBed, which have more firmer layer under the soft top.

The Cloud Luxe and the AlluraBed have the high density (HD) layer just as their Rhapsody and Grand do. In the Cloud Luxe, the HD layer is just below its ES layer. However, you seem to be not heavy enough for your weight to reach below the top ES layer and find the firmness of the HD below, specially when you sleep on your side. OTOH, the AlluraBed has far more of HD foam making it even softer than the Rhapsody or the Grand. You might find it too firm for your comfort while your husband may find the right amount of comfort in it.

You can spend an hour lying on the bed when you test them at the store. Another half an hour even if needed. You can start with the Cloud Supreme is of soft-on-firm rating, sleeping in your usual posture (side sleeping if your are side sleepers) and usual sides (left and right of bed). Compare notes between you on how each of you are feeling. You can then try the AlluraBed, and finally, the Cloud Luxe. Wait for anything from a couple minutes to up to ten minutes for the mattress to settle under you before testing how you feel. A sense of relief and relaxing in your back muscles, without a "sinking", should tell you you are on the right mattress.

Check with the guy at the store how long the mattress has been there so you get an idea how your new mattress would feel after that many weeks of use. It would better be at least 10 weeks in regular use to feel roughly like a new one would after its break-in period.

3. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Thanks for the helpful info. Today we visited the store and tried the mattresses there. Both of us found the HD line of mattresses were a bit too firm for us. The difference between and Cloud Luxe and Supreme models was quite obvious. We prefer the Cloud Luxe model.

BTW we were told that the Tempurpedic Tempur-Ergo adjustable base can be helpful in sleep apnea and snoring. Can anyone tell us from experience if works for sleep apnea and snoring?

4. Lora

Lora New Member

I’m a side sleeper and find that my Tempur-Pedic AlluraBed mattress is very supportive of my neck and spine. Earlier, with my old mattress I would wake up with pains in the hip, back, neck and legs. But after sleeping on the Tempur-Pedic AlluraBed mattress, it took all that pain away. I think it keeps your body aligned. You can spend a little more you have a good bed in this one.