Best CPAP Masks for Side Sleepers

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by Chance, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

I use the Mirage Liberty full face CPAP mask with nose pillows and headgear along with a contoured CPAP pillow. The mask is quite comfortable. I am a side sleeper and every time I turn in my bed the nose pillows leak waking me up. With disturbed sleep, I often wake up with a headache. I put on the nose masks first but the chin strap could not keep my mouth closed. (Pressure was 14). Does anyone here know of any full face mask that is well suited to side sleeping? Also, how do I avoid swallowing too much air?

2. AdamRoush

AdamRoush New Member

I use just the same CPAP and mask set, too.

If you are one to move a lot in your sleep, then a hybrid could be better than an ffm. At least, the original Quattro would not work for you. When the straps are properly tightened, I have leaks when I am on my side. Tightening any more to stop the leaks makes sleeping on the back a problem. Then my neck gets misaligned because the lower strap shifts it. The Quattro FX could be better, but I don't know.

3. esteban66

esteban66 New Member

I am new to CPAP therapy and I have always been a side sleeper. Mine is a Quattro FX full face CPAP mask with headgear. Now I am trying to sleep on my side with my CPAP. When I try to turn on my side, it starts to leak in some place or another. So I end up placing my hand in such a way that the mask is kept off the pillow (the ordinary one on which I rest my head). Although the leaks themselves are small, it makes a noise that I am not at all used to and it keeps me awake. I am thinking if using a CPAP pillow could help instead. I am not comfortable sleeping on my back which I am not used to. What is worse, my apneas get worse when I sleep on my back.

4. titus

titus New Member

I have tried several masks but still suffered from huge leaks because I sleep on my side. Finally, the problems was solved when I started on my new Quattro FX full face CPAP mask with headgear.

5. skinbear

skinbear New Member

It has been three years since I started using the Mirage Quattro FX full face CPAP mask with headgear and it has worked for me.

6. eastoN

eastoN New Member

My machine is the Quattro and I always sleep on my side. My Quattro is set in such a way that the straps on one side (the side I always sleep on) are a bit loose compared to the ones on the other side. I sleep with my cheek and ear resting on the corner of the pillow and let the mask hang off the edge of the pillow. If there is a leak, all I need to do is to sink my face a bit deeper into the pillow. That was a comfortable arrangement and it worked fine for me.

For some time now my hip has been troubling me a bit and I have to turn on my back. Then it leaks heavily. I place a pillow on my chest to prop up the mask in place.

7. jane

jane New Member

I have found the Mirage FX mask to be very good for me. Next to that would be the tried and tested Respironics Comfort Classic.

8. whoop

whoop New Member

I find that the Quattro is easier to get right without leaks compared with the FX. Well, any mask will spring a leak when you tighten it a bit too much. To avoid leaks, make sure your Quattro is first filled with air so the cushion is filled up. After using the Quattro for many years, I have recently switched to the FX. Although I have been trying I still have not managed to set it up right so I could sleep well through the night. I need to see what the FX manuals say about the right way of wearing the mask. I sure like my FX, just have to set it up the right way so it won't leak.

9. beatrice905

beatrice905 New Member

There is this post "Taming the Mirage Quattro" on my blog, which has tips that work with any air cushion mask in general like the FX or any other brand. Well not to say that I don't get any leaks myself. I do. But that doesn't bother me all that much because my AHI is only in small numbers. I need to worry though that leaks affect the quality of my therapy. Whenever there's a bad leak I wake up and sink my face a bit more into the pillow until the leak stops.

My husband sleeps heavy and doesn't notice the sounds of the leaks except when they are all too loud. Then he wakes me up to tell me to stop the music.