Best chin strap for sleep apnea? - Any reviews?

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by emirmous, Oct 15, 2017.

1. emirmous

emirmous New Member

I was reading an interesting article where it was claimed that chin strap helped in treating OSA. Though I am not sure how correct this is, just wanted to know from fellow members their opinion on whether chinstraps can treat OSA.

2. Gracie

Gracie New Member

No! It does not treat OSA

3. sutton1976

sutton1976 New Member

Hmmmmm.... Nope!

If that were the case, CPAP manufacturers like Philips, F&P, etc. would not have been there in the first place.

4. diamond

diamond New Member

A chin strap is an essential accessory in the CPAP regimen especially for people who are chronic mouth breathers. All it does is keep the mouth shut so that air does not pass out through your mouth. On its own, chin straps do not treat OSA.

5. maximus

maximus New Member

Chin straps do not treat OSA. Period.

However, I believe that it can become an alternative therapy for CPAP users who are having trouble wearing it. If snoring/apnea is caused due to airway changes resulting from the opening of the mouth then yes, chin straps can play a significant role in reducing the snoring/apnea.

Can’t say what would happen in the future, but one thing is for sure…CPAP manufacturers have plenty of work to do.

6. flimflam

flimflam New Member

Can you please elaborate on it?

7. maximus

maximus New Member

Well, what I meant was they would have to do more innovations and develop new products that can address mouth breathing issue in people who cannot use FFM. I hope it answers your questions.

8. rodney

rodney New Member

If I can remember correctly, there was an article which came around 10 years back of a 75-year-old patient who got treated with CPAP and then used a chinstrap to go to a trip to Antarctica (of all the places in the world) and on return, he was tested for sleep apnea again, and it was found that his OSA was either better or equal than when tested using CPAP.

Well, I am not sure if we can say very definitely that OSA can be treated with chin strap after testing on just one guy. BTW…has anyone in this forum tried a home-made version of chin straps for avoiding painful pokes from spouses and avoid snoring. Well, I tried, did not work out, ended up using CPAP and has been having a refreshing and blissful sleep ever since.

9. MorganJ

MorganJ New Member

This link for the study mentioned by @post#8 is this

http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=27031

I have gone through it, but one thing I did not understand is why did he have to go to Antarctica to check if his chinstrap was working…could have gone to the Rockies to get it tested….

Anyways, I think I can afford a chin strap but do not want a trip to Antarctica to get it tested.

10. hendrix

hendrix New Member

I think he might have had positional apnea since he had slept only laterally :tongueout:during his trip.

On a serious note, I think dental devices might work for some, chin straps for some and CPAP for the rest of the sleep apnea patients.

11. rubyclifton

rubyclifton New Member

Well, chin straps act as a complement to the CPAP therapy. I just can't believe how many times this topic has come across in the media and other forums. If it were so beneficial, then nobody would have ordered any CPAP machines, would have just walked to a nearby store or got online and bought one chinstrap. I DO NOT ENDORSE CHIN STRAP AS AN OSA REMEDY.

12. Flame

Flame Member

If everybody could sleep standing head down, then nobody would ever get OSA :laughing::laughing::laughing:

13. kevinjones23

kevinjones23 New Member

NO!

Non!

Nyet!

Nein!

14. ryanreynolds

ryanreynolds New Member

One of my close friends has to be on continuous oxygen due to a serious medical condition. His stomach has bloated up due to this, and his doctors told him that he probably was breathing through his mouth. I was wondering whether chinstraps would help him.

15. TheKnight

TheKnight New Member

What is the medical condition? I think chin strap would help your friend to close his mouth which would allow the oxygen to go to lungs and not stomach. Probably worth a shot.

16. beanpole

beanpole New Member

I was taking off my CPAP involuntarily every day. Tried using the chin strap and it was highly effectively and has worked wonders for me.

17. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton New Member

Well, good for you. But kindly tell us the methodology by which you judged the effectiveness.

18. AlexDM

AlexDM New Member

Well, it would depend. It a majority of the cases, it would not be useful.

If the person has got sleep apnea due to a narrow tongue base and is a mouth breather, then closing the patient’s mouth using chin strap can help in treating the apnea. This is because when the mouth is opened, the throat gets narrower. Jaw moves back. While moving down, it causes the hyoid to move back and making it narrower.

19. Magdalina

Magdalina New Member

And thus spoke the doctor….