arizona premium mattress company complaint - mattresses.net

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by jbepp, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jbepp

jbepp New Member

Hey guys, if I may just say before I begin, I am happy to be a part of this forum. The past week has been crazy in all sorts of ways, and the best decision I’d made was coming here. So many people have been saved from bad sales, potentially horrible choices and cheap quality mattresses. Truth be told unless I figured research would’ve mattered before buying any mattress, I don’t think I’d smart buy either.

Anyway, I’ll let you in on what I was looking for. I wanted something different from my previous memory foam mattress and got easily swooped into the idea of getting a latex mattress (I am a bit of a nature freak, I suppose).

I decided to go with a 100% Talalay latex mattress because from what I felt, Dunlop appeared a little firmer than I was looking for, and Talalay was just right. Now a concern I had was whether or not buying a mattress online was advisable, and did a lot of research on this. Finally, I ended up making my purchase from the Arizona Premium Mattress Company (APM&co), and how can I put this right – I regret my decision.

So the story goes like this - I went to a local retail store a couple of blocks away from me and noted down their price of the Talalay latex mattress and checked online. The online price on the APM&co was couple 100 dollars less, and that was the only reason I was sure of buying it online. Let’s face it, few 100 dollars is no small amount, and I figured it’d be worth it.

As of now, I am very much disappointed. While placing the order, I had every intention of making it clear that I needed it ASAP, but they said that the delivery would take 3-3.5 weeks. I sighed, and called up customer care, just to tell them the urgency of it sooner, but they said they couldn’t do anything, but that they would assure it wouldn’t exceed the 3.5-week upper limit.

It turns out; they are not as trustworthy as I’d hoped. It is 6.5 weeks now, and I’m still with no mattress. What was even worse was that there was no communication, I’d expect at least a text message is saying they are deeply sorry for postponing it this long, but nothing.

Also, tracking or finding any updates on the mattress was all my job, they never sent anything. I had to go to the site and check everything on my own which honestly is a little annoying, considering every online company today has an automatic tracking service within the app.

They also send text messages now and then, when it’s been requested, dispatched, shipped and what not. I called them about 3-4 times already, super pissed asking them to tell me when it would arrive.

The first call, they apologized and said it would arrive within four weeks. The next follow up said that it would take another week, and the latest one claimed it would be delivered within six weeks. How does this even work? I mean, you’d think that if a customer is calling so many times, they’d make out the desperation from their voice and at least then try to do something to speed up the process, but no. I’ve never been so disappointed in my life. :disappointed:

2. Mouth

Mouth New Member

Why in the world did you throw out your old mattress? I keep my old mattress for some time even after the new one arrives, to serve as a backup in case I need to exchange or there is some other issue with the mattress. BTW, I have purchased more than a dozen mattress over the 60 years of my life.

3. jbepp

jbepp New Member

Granted, I made a silly mistake by throwing out my old mattress sooner than I needed to. I am now repenting for doing so. However, what’s been done is done. That said, I have been sleeping in my sleeping bag for long, and it is making me super cranky (evidently) and honestly, it’s a little small for me.

I made this purchase six weeks ago, and the last update promised me it’d come by today, but surprise, surprise. No updates, nothing. I am tired of calling and yelling at them because they don’t care. I feel like I’ve wasted $2000 on a mattress that’s never going to show. I guess more than anything; I’m pissed at their service. If I were to describe this place in one word, I’d say FLAKY, because that’s exactly what they’ve been.

Even though I am yet to receive the mattress, honestly all the initial excitement that follows with any purchase (that too an expensive mattress, which I needed very soon) dissipated the minute they said it’d come in four weeks, because I knew they were just saying that to make me feel better and hang up the phone. At this point, all I’m doing is waiting on the mattress, so that I can rate them as TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Also, now I can’t help but doubt the quality and durability of the mattress. I was told that Talalay is the higher quality latex material and that latex lasts way longer than memory foam, but who’s to say now, with such a flaky company? What kind of service does not speed up the process of delivery upon finding out how important it is for them?

One thing’s for sure, I will update how the mattress is and everything as and when it comes, but I am sure as hell not going to recommend this to anyone; I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemies. I realize I'm a tad bit dramatic, but honestly, you try sleeping in your sleeping bag for a month, and a half and God knows how much longer.

I’d say, suck it up and buy the mattress for the extra sold in retail stores, because it’s so not worth the anguish and frustration I’m currently going through. UGH. Terrible service, in short. Sorry for the long, nasty post, but it had to be said.

4. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @jbepp, I am extremely sorry for what you’ve been put through by the company. That’s a real shame, but honestly, I am not sure why it’s taking that long because from what I know they have great delivery services that are mostly commendable by customers such as yourself. Anyway, when it finally arrives, I’m sure the mattress in itself will make up for all the toil they’ve put you through because the mattress is a real dream. Also, don’t doubt its quality, they make use of 100% natural latex, and since you got Talalay, there’s no doubt you will instantly fall in love. That said, it’s still unacceptable to have you waiting on it for double the time they promised you. I would think calling the company as a whole “flaky” is a bit insensitive, considering that they make exclusively high-quality products, and Ken is such a passionate leader. He has been manufacturing mattresses for as long as I can remember, and his dedication towards making the industry a better place is appreciable. I have had a few conversations with him about how changes can be made to the industry, and he said he would do it before he retired. Now there are situations when a company under delivers due to excessive amount of orders in stock or when they’re particularly busy, and I figure that’s what’s going on with your delay. Ideally, I don’t think at a peak time such as that 3.5 weeks is the optimal wait time, but I think it’s no excuse that they’re making you wait it out, despite your calling them on numerous occasions, expressing the urgency of the situation.

5. Ana Beau

Ana Beau New Member

I’m confused here. I don’t understand, have you found out that the mattress has already been shipped (when you called them inquiring about it the first time or using UPS) or did you ask them to use a different means of delivery when it was yet to be shipped?

Either way, I feel for you because I do understand the frustration that comes with waiting for a purchase, which in your case is particularly crucial considering that you’ve already thrown out your bed. This I don’t understand completely because upon making the purchase itself you realized it would take you 3.5 weeks. Either way, no one is happy to be sleeping in a sleeping bag for all eternity, so I do wish you get your mattress soon and in best condition! Also, I am looking forward to seeing your update on how you liked the mattress when it arrives too. Make sure to mention how long it took to finally arrive because that’s what people (such as myself) are waiting on.

6. FrankieD

FrankieD New Member

Hey there, folks. I too plan on writing a full-fledged review sometime shortly, but before that, I wanted to give you a rough outline of the layout I own just to give you a clearer picture, and hopefully some incentive on how to choose your mattress? I own the AZP adjustable mattress, with the medium firmness, blended latex core. Now I like a medium firm with an adequate amount of softness. The memory foam layer is outside the mattress case and the latex topper at the bottom. I was being creative and tried out some different configurations of all the parts that I own, and this one works best for my wife and myself – we both sleep super comfortable, and my wife (who likes plushness to the highest level) also finds this ideal. This works better for me, as opposed to what I had before – a latex layer on the top that had an ILD of 22. The issue it caused me was a feeling of pulling down on my hips and was responsible for lower back pain. Now, this issue has been resolved.

7. JorJa J

JorJa J New Member

This is like perfect timing, and MAN am I happy I found this while I did. @FrankieD, I just ordered an adjustable latex mattress myself from APM&Co, and it’s also taking a while longer than I was hoping for, but I can wait it out. A couple more weeks and I will be sleeping on it (WOOHOO).

Anyway, I am not sure about the firmness that I ordered and wanted some insight since you’ve tried moving them all around. I got the medium firm core with an ILD of 32 and made of blended latex. This, with a latex topper of ILD 22. What would you call this arrangement, a medium or soft firm? I am much like yourself in that I also prefer a medium firmness with some plushness, which is why I wanted to go with the 38 ILD in the core. I’ve always assumed the core is the foundation of the mattress and needs to be strong. Also, since I prefer medium firmness, shouldn’t this be contained within the support layer?

I also had the chance to have a chat with Ken, and he asked me some bizarre questions about my weight and the sleeping position I preferred the most, and then said the medium firm core of 32 ILD was sufficient for me. Now I weigh close to 125 pounds and sleep in all possible positions, but often find myself waking up on my back, so perhaps he meant that since I was a light sleeper, nothing of a higher firmness would be good on my back?

I read somewhere, about the pushback effect mattresses seem to have on firm mattresses, and it is not so comfortable for lighter sleepers. That’s what I assumed anyway, don’t take my word for it because I’m far from a professional. Plus, he said that if it was not as firm as I wanted, I could always put the topper at the bottom of the mattress, but again that confuses me because I thought the base needed the firmer latex, i.e., higher ILD?

Do you think maybe I should’ve ordered the 3” topper that had an ILD of 28, with medium firmness, over the one I ordered, which is 2” and has an ILD of 22? I get more and more frustrated thinking perhaps I made the wrong choice :(. I would love it for someone to swoop in here and tell me I made the right decision (don’t we all, haha). But I guess, for now, I’ll just let it go and hope that what I decided upon is the best possible option for me!

Also, I had a query regarding the cover of the mattress. I am not sure I liked what they offered, the woolen padding and stuff because I wanted more of a stretchy, breathable cotton cover that would keep me closer to the layer of latex but this option wasn’t there for them (I tried calling them).

8. FrankieD

FrankieD New Member

@JorJa J, I’d say that you should listen to Ken, because I think for your weight this setup is ideal and chances of you finding it soft are less. Also, this setup would be called a medium firm. Then again, if you do find it too soft, you can always play around with the layers.

What I’d suggest is you wait and try it yourself, because what is firm for me may not be the same for you. I don’t think the placement of the soft layer matters. From what I believe is correct, your body responds to the layer that it rests upon (the comfort layer). In your case, it is firm enough to give your body the adequate amount of support it needs, yet being comfortable enough to get some softness also. I don’t think you getting a 3-inch comfort layer would be the best option.

First off, because you’re a light sleeper, you don’t need anything with a higher ILD than 22. Also since it is the comfort layer, anything above 2 inches is quite thick of a layer, which would not be ideal in the comfort layer, considering that you could not get the support from the core. I would recommend you to keep an open mind, especially if you’ve never used latex before. Most people claim that latex is not for everybody, but I say that if you give it some time, it will grow on you. Believe it or not, I hated it initially, because I’d only ever used memory foam myself, and to be honest I didn’t like the feel of it, but today I can’t imagine sleeping on anything else.

Also, initially, we had backaches, and such related to the mattress, both my wife and I struggled for some time before we kept rotating it and finding the ideal position for the both of us. As for the mattress cover, it’s fine, but we don’t use the one provided to us by AZP, we use a cotton cover. This protects the surface while making it breathable. Airflow is important, and I am not sure wool would be ideal for that (of course, I’m not a professional either) but I do know that cotton does a great job at it.

And if you want the latex closer to your body, the best you could do is take out the 2-inch thick topper and use the mattress directly, with a cotton (preferably) sheet on top so that you can feel the latex layer under you more evidently. Hope this helped you @JorJa J :) We haven’t been using this arrangement for too long now, so once we get used to it for a bit and find out potential issues with the same, I’ll come back with more updates.

9. JorJa J

JorJa J New Member

Thank you so much @frankieD for your extensive reply to my queries, and for ensuring that the decision I’d made was a good one (trust me, I needed that, it was keeping me up for days). I am finally secure in my decision and happy. I might consider taking out the 2-inch topper to get closer to the latex layer, and I do have a cotton sheet that would be perfect for efficient airflow, so that’s what I’ll do. But I did see something that intrigued me; I saw that APM&Co has a cover made entirely of organic cotton (and a whip of condensed cotton) which might be good to get me closer to the latex layer, right?

Anyway, what’s done is done, I think I might just call customer care to find out more about this if there’s any way I can get just the cover replaced because I think this mattress is going to keep me very happy. It’s not the first time we are using latex, we have been using latex ever since we got married, it’s a common passion we share, but I appreciate your concern. Also, probably best to wait till the mattress arrives and check out the woolen cover too because, from some posts I’ve read (from mattress experts), it is an excellent temperature regulator and is known to keep the mattress surface cool (even though I’d only assume the opposite). But this has intrigued me, and I want to try it out myself, first.

10. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Hello @JorJa J, and let me add another person’s assurance to you that the firmness of ILD 22 is more than enough in your comfort layer for you. I think you should listen to Ken (he is a very experienced mattress manufacturer). Sometimes all you need to do is give him 2-3 minor details, and he can tell you what kind of mattresses are apt for you. I think @FrankieD seems to be highly experienced in the topic. I also think that the 2-inch thickness is ideal for your weight, as opposed to the 3-inch, which has an ILD of 28 which might end up being a little too firm for you, considering your weight. The reason why Ken also asked if you were a light sleeper had to do with the thickness of the comfort layer to find out if you’d be getting enough relief from pressure. Regarding that, you seem better off with the 2 inch :)

I am glad you read reviews about the wool woven into the quilted cover because trust me, those benefits are legit. The cotton mattress cover is good in that it would allow you to get a little more amount of sinkage into the comfort layer, (potentially making you closer to the latex layer) and would be softer in feeling. This, as I presume is not something you’d care for as much because you want firm. But you should note that a deeper sink means that you are getting a closer feel of the support from the foundation while feeling lulled by the comfort layer. Now while this is all well and good, a woolen quilted layer also has many benefits, and actual advantages over any other material used in the quilted layer, in that it is super breathable, prevents perspiration by a fair amount and is an excellent temperature regulator. So either way, you’d be getting an excellent cover, but it depends on how you’d narrow down your choices/preferences. Also, if you have plans of taking off the topper, I’d suggest you put something on top of the mattress that is thicker than just a sheet. Perhaps, a comforter or a mattress pad even because if the latex layer is exposed to air, UV, and ozone, it has higher chances of breaking down faster, making its durability lesser (which is what everyone wants from a latex mattress).

11. LaurRne14

LaurRne14 New Member

@JorJa J, let me tell you this from personal experience, if you’re going for a cover that has wool in it, that’s all fair and well. But if you like the feel of the latex that is incorporated in your comfort levels, I’d suggest you go with a cover that has a lesser amount of wool in it, because this, in its way, alleviates the feel of latex by a bit. I am not sure if there’s a scientific reason behind this, in that their chemical composition does not match each other or what. I too fell for all the reviews saying that a woolen cover is excellent (and it is, don’t get me wrong). I was so shocked that the woolen cover was more breezy and airy than a cotton one, but it’s not as stretchy as cotton and does not make you feel the latex layers below it as much as you’d want it to. However, much like @sleepmaniac said, it’s a trade-off. There are benefits for both of them. We initially kept the woolen cover intact and noticed that the surface was super cool to sleep on, it was breathable and soft as well. All in all, super comfortable. Additionally, it was also a great layer that acted as a mattress protector and even a mattress pad! This is because of the thickness of wool in general, and it complimented the mattress.

However a few weeks later, I felt the lack of feel for latex, so I took this cover off and slept directly onto the latex layer with just a sheet separating us two. While this felt good and I finally truly felt the latex layer right below me, it was not great for the mattress’ durability, because it was not being protected as such, which I learned later when I started feeling it change slightly. So there’s no saying which one is better or worse, it depends on what you prefer. For me, it was the feel of latex, but we had to get a comforter to protect it anyway, so we went with cotton, because like @sleepmaniac said, we were able to sink into the comfort layers and feel the latex conform our bodies more elaborately. Right now, I am thrilled with the mattress’ performance. Oh, and also don’t worry about the durability of the mattress, it’s just fine

12. SexyThing

SexyThing New Member

Oh man, you couldn’t have put it better. One thing I know for sure is that they are not quick with their delivery. Although for me, they did say that it would take up to 5 weeks. This was when I was buying a mattress for my kid, though. I recently bought a mattress from APM&Co for myself, the king-sized adjustable kind, and something I liked about them is that we get to talk to Ken directly if we can. I sent him an email regarding the timings, and he said it would be delivered to me within 40 days. Perhaps the reason why I don’t feel so passionate about busting their chops is that Ken is a very nice person in general and super dedicated to the mattress world.

Also, he doesn’t shy away from answering any queries that occur from your side, no matter how stupid they are. I asked him a bunch of stuff and even apologized for the stupidity, but he laughed and said no questions in the mattress world are stupid. I MEAN WHO EVEN SAYS THAT. Agreed, that their delivery services are not as fast as you’d hope for them to be, but honestly, for the products that they deliver, I’d say it’s worth the wait.

Sorry, this is just my personal experience, and no intention of causing a clash of thoughts here, but maybe that’s because I was given direct details and descriptions. I’d be lying if I said that I couldn’t wait to try this mattress out because I can’t, but honestly, I don’t think I’m in as much as of rush as I thought I’d be. I’m more patient this time, even though I’ve been procrastinating about this mattress for about three years now.

The only thing that’s getting me a little jittery is the fact that I may be expected to leave town with work sometime in the next six weeks, and since I live alone, the delivery window is getting on my nerves. I think maybe I should inform them first, just to give them a heads up but I don’t want the process to get delayed any further, and I figure that if I tell them this, it might just. At this point, I’m just going with the flow and hoping that the delivery doesn’t reach my doorstep when I’m out of town because that would be horrific.

Regarding the value of the purchase, I’d say it’s a true steal. It’s beautiful from what I’ve heard, and its durability is insane. I didn’t know mattresses lasted as long as this! I have used close to six different mattresses in the past 13 years and to think that one mattress could last me up to 10 years would be heaven. I am happy that you’re referring to Ken’s company as one of the best because it truly is. I’ve honestly never encountered another person as passionate about mattresses, and I think they are the answer for sheer comfort and perfect support system. I think this mattress is ideal for back sleepers, since it is effective in relieving back trouble as well, something nobody seemed to mention here. But that’s probably because you’re all healthy and young.

13. jbepp

jbepp New Member

Okay, so I did promise an elaborate review on my mattress after it arrived and everything, so here I am again (even though still pissed off from the long wait).

Anyway, I finally received it, after waiting for a short period of 6.5 weeks. Woohoo. Even though I want to strangle the people who delayed the arrival of the mattress, I can’t say anything is wrong with the mattress, because that would be a lie. The mattress in itself is a sheer delight, and I don’t think I have any complaints about it, not even about its firmness because it seems ideal to me which is a real shocker because I’ve only ever used memory foam before and this was a real pleasant surprise.

Yes, @sleepmaniac, the long wait is finally over and thank you for understanding my anguish. But thankfully now, the frustration has turned into elation. It’s been close to two weeks that I’ve been sleeping on it and the experience of both comfort, as well as support, lulled together is amazing. The week before that, I was on business and had stayed over at a couple of posh hotels, and I still think my Talalay is better than all of them when it comes to comfort and support.

I am thrilled with my purchase, and would repurchase this mattress if given a choice (of course, from varying sources, however). I am also particularly enjoying the S-cape. That said, I shall not alter my reviews on the service. I said it once, and I’ll repeat it, the way they treated me and my situation was inhumane. I had never been so frustrated in my life, and the responses I was getting back from the company were not acceptable.

I am not completely ruling off APM&Co though because I am falling in love with this mattress, but I doubt I will buy from them ever again. I would never say that the wait of 6.5 weeks was worth the chagrin I went through, all the trauma experienced in those wretched weeks and my desperation in general. Oh, and how the company didn’t bother to give two craps about it. Even if the mattresses offered here are 20% cheaper than the retail stores, I still know my obvious choice.

14. SexyThing

SexyThing New Member

I will try to keep this as short as I possibly can but pardon me if I go on a little bit (much like yourself, I am a huge dork). I did not get the response I was looking for, and while this thread has plenty good reviews about this company as well as Ken, I am a little frustrated and need some platform to take it out on. There’s no doubt that the quality of the material is incomparable and satisfies the customer with respect to its cost/quality prospect, but I am not so sure they are keeping up their company’s reputation with the way they are handling their services. It is taking a slight hit, and @sleepmaniac, if you have personal relations with Ken, I suggest you tell him about this because it is making many customers (not just myself) ticked off.

So I got the mattress a while after ordering it (but that was fine because I was told the mattress would take five weeks to be delivered) and I found that the core I’d ordered with a medium firm was not for me, so I wanted to swap that out for a firmer core. This led me to customer care, and I was able to mail Ken directly. We had a brief chat; he’s a nice guy, very passionate and helpful and responsive in general, he didn’t delay in any of his replies, despite the fact that he’s such a prestigious man, so that was impressive. Chatting with him gave me a feeling of dealing with a close friend or a relative, it felt like home with a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart. I thought this was headed in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the services don’t seem to match their mattress manufacturing process or even Ken’s amiability. I ordered a replacement the first time, and within three weeks I got it, but in the wrong size. They sent the queen, even though I sleep alone, which was understandable to some point because I did mention I had a family (and also mentioned they lived away), so that’s partly on them, but I guess as I said, understandable. I got in touch with Ken again, who as always was super prompt in responding and apologized for the glitch and had it picked up and got the replacement sent to the manufacturing segment and everything.

Here I am though, six weeks into ordering the replacement and the second time they brought the SAME medium firm half core. I lost my cool. This is NOT how you’re supposed to handle your business. Get employees who are certain they know what they’re doing and not daydreaming during work hours. How else could this mix up possibly happen? Besides, it’s not like it’s even possible to get a switch up between the different firmness because they are written on them.

Okay, so they are illiterate? Then guess what, it can be distinguished visually as well – the diameter of the holes within the core, its weight (DUH?) and even firmness are all factors. If you’re working in a mattress industry, this is expected to be known to you, right? Anyway, forget that I haven’t been able to sleep on a mattress that I ordered, like 2.5 months ago, but now I have to open the mattress again and have it packed and unpacked all over again.

This task is not super easy or anything and takes up a bunch of my time (and patience). I don’t know how much longer I can keep my cool with Ken about this. I’d say that even though I may be going through some personal stuff, I won’t blame APM&Co for that, but I will, for being lousy at your job, at performing a poor product fulfillment. I’ll keep in touch about how Ken responds, there’s surely some explanation for this, and he genuinely cares. But only one person cannot successfully run a company, right?

15. Btalivny

Btalivny New Member

Hey guys, now I know there’s a lot of hate for the customer service and their delivery in general, and I can vouch for that too. It took me close to 5.5 weeks of waiting until I finally received my mattress even though they said it would show in less than four weeks. Anyway, I didn’t bother calling because the one time I did, they mentioned there was heavy traffic within the pipelining system and that it would take about six weeks, so at least they gave me that heads up first off. But no bigs, I waited and finally got it. I was lucky enough to try the mattress out myself and liked what I felt, but I doubt what I got was anything like that. It was a 100% Talalay, and I got the 2” with the medium firm core. For some reason, I felt this to be too soft for me and called them up to get it exchanged. When I did though, they suggested to change up the order, and customize according to my desire. So that’s what I did, and I put the topper below and slept directly on the core. For some reason, it was still softer than I wanted, and I realized the issue was with the core itself. Perhaps the medium firm was just not for me, so I wanted something firmer. For some reason, it felt to me as though this mattress has no edges. I know that is a very odd proposition, but it is what I felt. There was a constant fear I felt of rolling off the edges, hence sleeping close to the edges was far from possible. The weird part? Even while I would sleep right in the middle, there was this sensation that I felt like I could still roll off. Of course, it was lesser than that experienced on the edges, but I still had to scoot a few inches below the top of the mattress (ensure that I was in the middle with respect to each corner of the mattress) to fight that feeling. But all my efforts were in vain because no matter how much I tried, I still ended up on the edges by morning and have even fallen off a couple of times. This may not occur for you because you sleep in one place, but I am constantly rolling as it is, and the mattress did not help that.

So now, I got the core with extra firm, and it is better in every respect. I feel the amount of support is just right with this core and I am not experiencing the sensation of rolling that much either. Also, sleeping in the middle of this mattress is not the perfect position for me because I feel the obvious division of the mattress and there isn’t much of give at the seams (which must’ve been the main reason for this sensation to occur in the first place). Even though I am trying with all I have to fall in love with this mattress, so far it’s not going too far :(

16. Btalivny

Btalivny New Member

To add to what I mentioned above - another thing that really ticked me off was the foundation of the mattress. So while I was researching and having my usual descriptive chat with customer service at APM&Co, I was able to describe to them my previous mattress and the type of foundation it had. In fact, it wasn’t a foundation at all, you don’t use box springs or anything like that but could lie some plywood sheets or a slat system for it. So for the mattress that I was getting, I wanted to find out if this foundation was sufficient, or if I needed to get something better. Anything that would make my experience with the mattress most comfortable. When I talked to them about this, they said the type of foundation did not matter as such with regard to comfort and support because the mattress in itself took care of that, which eased my mind and I asked them what would be best for someone like me, who likes sleeping on firm surfaces. They said that if I wanted the feeling of sleeping on a solid board, my best shot was going with solid plywood foundation but also that the slatted technique works just fine as well. Now since I owned the slatted base, I made sure to ask them twice if this worked, because then I wouldn’t have to go through the trouble of finding another one suitable for it, and they said it would work just fine with it. But when the delivery finally got here, with our replacement of the firmer core, the delivery man said that the slatted foundation could be a major contribution to the way the mattress was acting.

Apparently, slats don’t give the amount of support that you’d expect for this kind of a mattress and might be why we thought the mattress was too soft to start off with. This pissed me off to a level I had never known I had. Also, a reason for the rolling off could be because of the flexible slats. This is very irresponsible of them, considering I asked them if they were sure of it and they said yes, making me suffer for so long, having to be cautious in my sleep so that I wouldn’t roll off every morning and who knows, could’ve even hurt myself. For a company that doesn’t hesitate for a moment before taking in the $2000 amount, you’d think that the customer service employees they employ would have the tiniest speck of knowledge about the mattresses they sell, but no.

17. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

I can understand how you would be feeling, given that this was a choice you made to switch to a greener product that is more in price and quality, but honestly everything you just mentioned has more to do with your personal opinions than the general quality of the mattress in itself. A certain degree of chagrin is only understandable to follow through when you do not get what you wanted, but if I’m right, you checked out the mattress yourself and performed tests on it and everything right?

Also, accurate information was given to you by customer care (I’ll get to that in a bit), so the choice was entirely yours. You tested it at the showroom, liked what you felt and then called up customer care for further help, to which they provided detailed, accurate information and only then did you make the purchase. No one else can be held responsible for the choices you made, based on what you found most ideal.

Latex is super durable and in general, the highest quality product that can be infused into a mattress, but like it has been mentioned on this forum, it’s not for all. Some people prefer memory foam’s softness or innerspring’s bounce! If you do not seem to be compatible with what latex has to offer (from everything that you have described in your post, it is evident that you are not), there’s no point in dissing the mattress in itself.

The only thing that could be blamed is your judgment, which is fine because you’re the one doing it. I think the only thing you can do here is to analyze your situation and own up to your mistake that it was lack of proper judgment on your part and acknowledge you’re at fault.

18. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

Since you did happen to mention that you’d personally tested the mattress yourself, I figure you had a hunch about what you were getting yourself into, yes? The property of elasticity within latex is not everyone’s favorite feel, which is probably what you’re experiencing with the rolling off feeling, while some people cannot sleep without that. Note that these factors are all subjective and no one can be blamed for liking or disliking these qualities. But from what I understand, you tried it out, that means you did know this property about the mattress. Did you not feel this feeling that day?

In general, this mattress has a great value, and the quality is undoubted - 100% natural latex, it doesn’t get any greener than that, but that is not the only significant factor about any purchase. You have to make sure it aligns your idea of the perfect PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, Personal Preferences). I gather you didn’t put too much thought into this area. You mentioned you feel the split in the middle. That is also quite unusual, because from what I’ve noticed, most sleepers find the quilted wool cover as well as the top layer of latex to work just fine in hiding whatever feeling of a split that should come, and this complaint has never been registered before. Also, you did try the split mattress in the store too, yes? Undoubtedly your testing did not go as well because it appears you did not factor in any of the factors one should while testing a mattress.

Now, coming to my favorite part: the foundation. I find it very funny that you’re taking the word of a delivery guy, over say an intellect who was employed by such a prestigious company to work as their customer care and train them to provide the right information to customers. If they did mention that the slat foundation would work just fine, isn’t it the least you could do to take their word over a delivery boy who, I can assure you is not given any training to spit out knowledgeable details about the mattress?

19. sleepmaniac

sleepmaniac New Member

Still, don’t believe them? Fine, I’ll convince you, or at least try to. Let me weave you a tale of how the Europeans do it: people up there are way more advanced than us when it comes to using green products, and I believe a majority of their population makes use of latex mattresses. For them, the use of flexible slats as their foundation is more of a standard option; not many people waver from that. Some places, it’s a norm. I am not sure what impression you have about a flexible slat, but they can be adjustable. It helps your case because they can provide a firmer base in the core (middle section), which further helps you with the support you need. It also creates a softer feel under any areas that apply most pressure onto the mattress (i.e., your pressure points, like the shoulder blades or hips).

Honestly, I’m not sure what you’re complaining about because people even make nonflexible slats work just fine with these mattresses – they are preferable for some people who like rigid surfaces. This again, depends on individual preference and how they sleep on the mattress, their positions, body weight, shape, type and so on. You really shouldn’t be criticizing the customer care’s knowledge on the topic when you chose to believe a delivery guy’s word!

20. Btalivny

Btalivny New Member

Hmmm…it seems I have touched a raw nerve here. I think both @sleepmaniac and @Mattresso are promoting APM&Co. I do not bloody damn care. Accept it guys, their customer care, and delivery SUCKS. If you cannot accept it, I do not care. Also, delivery guys are also very knowledgeable, and in fact, I will say have more brains than the dimwits who have been employed as customer care reps at APM&Co.