Apria Healthcare cpap machine issues

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by robertgehl, Sep 16, 2017.

1. robertgehl

robertgehl New Member

Hello everyone…I just have a simple question to ask…which is the best DME for CPAP supplies …I am using Apria right now and anybody can be better than them. Besides, am I the only one to suffer this problem? :(:mad::mad:

Well, the story goes like this---I first used Apria for getting my CPAP and boy was the experience bad, this was 10 years ago..I have shifted my insurance to Kaiser and nearly got a panic attack when they said they use Apria. Being an eternal optimist, I thought 10 years down the line things would have definitely got better with Apria…but guess what…they are consistent in offering atrocious service. I had ordered a hose conversion kit as well as a new mask. They sent me a simple spare hose. Luckily (a rarity for Apria), an Apria office exists where I work.. so spent nearly 1 hour in knocking some sense into them saying what I needed was not what they gave. Firstly, they told me my new machine would be delivered soon for which a spare hose would be needed…I picked my NEW 5600 THREE WEEKS AGO and these guys did not have a record of it. Secondly, they said, Kaiser has not sent to them any request for a new mask and heated hose kit…spent some more time in getting them to check the records and eventually, they found the records and said they would supply the correct supplies asap. Boy, what a mess…

2. valter

valter New Member

Hi @robertgehl, trust me when I say…you are not the only one having issues with Apria. You at least could get through their customer service…I was not so lucky and could not even get an appointment. I shifted to Lincare and getting better response there

3. adonezone

adonezone New Member

I think Apria is the lifeline of this forum and the main reason why people hate DMEs. Some of the stuff they put us through is nonsense. Re my own experience, I have a severe OSA, and Apria asked me to get to their office and get machine…I drove nearly 50+ miles…reached the office only to be told that the device was still not there with them and would take one more week to arrive…..I survived my drive back home without any major accidents.

PS: they would always ask you your credit card number…but DO NOT give it to them under any circumstances. They always try their luck with me…and I simply laugh.

Best of luck in dealing with them (you would need it very much)

4. lizzycorreia

lizzycorreia New Member

Hello @robertgehl

You are not alone with regards to Apria…though I have not experienced it myself, I have many friends who can vouch for the same. I was recently diagnosed with OSA and sleep center’s RT was planning on sending me to a DME that had an abysmal rating on Google. When questioned, his answer left me stunned, “ Do not worry, I am there to look after you. You should be happy that we are not sending you to Apria…” that sealed the matter.

5. robertgehl

robertgehl New Member

Wow…thankful to note I am not the only person having issues with Apria. I guess I would have to deal with it since Kiaser deals with Apria only. I am wondering if I can check with Kaiser and see if I have any choice. My plan with Kaiser gives me 100% coverage, so if I buy stuff from the internet, I just would not have face Apria.

6. dlane1987

dlane1987 New Member

Sorry, with Kaiser you simply do not have that luxury. Coming to my experience, terrible is the last word I could use…can you imagine a company getting all orders and billing wrong every time…I ordered 7 times through Apria and every time they messed up the order.

PS: Observe Apria's bills, since they tend to pawn of cheaper stuff than what Kaiser orders such as--if asking for heated hose, would send regular tube, but the billing to Kaiser would be for heated hose…I just do not know how they survive so long.

About machines from Kaiser, I think they use PR machines ONLY, and they have a formulary for masks, so if your mask is not on their list…cant help it. Your prescription would have to specify exactly the type of mask needed and if needing a change, should get a new prescription.

BTW….. I have heard Kaiser has also got pretty bad reviews…

7. sidd230

sidd230 New Member

Hello everybody

I am not sure about bad reviews for Kaiser..at least the sleep medicine part is very good. They have sleep techs who help people in getting the right mask, provide samples to check whether the mask fits correctly, can get in touch easily regd. Any issue and they are good at diagnosing and treating sleep apnea conditions promptly.

I hated Kaiser for other things but the experience with sleep apnea group has been good…they even offer home sleep apnea testing. That said, quality of care might differ, mine was a good office, but people from other offices have some not-so-pleasant reviews.

8. robertgehl

robertgehl New Member

Well, I guess then I would have to live with it until I get a good option…I had Anthem BC; plans got costly so shifted to Kaiser. Frankly, till now my experience with Kaiser has been excellent..so fingers crossed.

With regards to sleep testing, I had to sign a group deal for the home sleep test, which was weird..did some checking around and finally, when I was called for the CPAP 7-day trial classes, I was the only one…asked the tech who told my MD had asked for 1 to 1 class…so I guess asking Kaiser might not be a problem.

PS: My struggles with Apria continues…I got a package from them and guess what..they sent the same regular hose pipe again…so now stuck with two unwanted hose pipes :mad: