Adding Vicks Vapo Steam Liquid in CPAP humidifier for congestion

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by hAya, Sep 12, 2017.

1. hAya

hAya New Member

I need help …

I am down with a severe cold, and I am having trouble using my CPAP machine. I tried using vaporizer on the nightstand for the cold, hoping my congestion in sinuses and chest would be out. A friend told me about adding Vicks Vapo Steam liquid medication to the vaporizer. My doubt has I had a humidifier attached with the CPAP and was wondering if I can add the Vapo Steam into the humidifier. Because of cold I even thought of adding it to my CPAP machine, but felt it was not a good idea…..I am getting sick of this congestion........

2. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Wow…o_O.adding Vapo solution in CPAP machine…your congestion must be severe to even think of this…good for you that you did not go ahead…

On a serious note, you can use vapor solution in the room but would advise not using it in humidifier…..even in room air, you would have to change the filters regularly due to oil and grease getting sucked into the machine.

3. hAya

hAya New Member

I was thinking along the same lines. By any chance is my CPAP playing a role in pushing my infection deep…?

4. Pluslykell

Pluslykell New Member

I do not think so… Cold would run its course. I take a lot of fluids, have good rest and take vitamin C and D as well as zinc (2000 units of C and 5000 IU of D)…works well for me. You can try it but would advise you to check with your MD before taking C, D, and zinc.

5. outfox

outfox New Member

Besides warning from vendor, the heated humidifier works differently from vaporizer so no point of adding Vapo Steam into the humidifier

6. sutton1976

sutton1976 New Member

I agree with @Pluslykell that cold would run its course. And instead of Vapo Steam, I use CPAP Vapor-Clear™ offered by Pur-Sleep™. It has been of great benefit to me, and the pure essential oils in the Vapor-Clear™ helps in clearing up nasal congestion and the cold symptoms. One bonus is the diffuser offered by Pur-Sleep which lightly scents up the air which is drawn into the CPAP. I think they also provide Calm™…never tried that so have no idea but Clear™ is very good…you can try it.

7. iven

iven New Member

I have used Calm™. It is very soothing and has a blend of pure rosemary, Australian eucalyptus, as well as lavender. It provided excellent relief from nasal congestion. If you are not keen on using Clear or Clam, I think you add a drop of Vapo Steam on some absorbent material and keep it near the filter…it works that way also…I have had pitched battles with allergies and congestions myself, and I can understand your state of mind.

8. Aiyana

Aiyana New Member

I have used Vapo liquid on a cotton ball and kept the same in a small dish on nightstand..however, I knocked it down when I turned around and clearing the mess relieved me of my congestion… :p;).

I'd suggest using the humidifier, works well.

9. tommy

tommy New Member

No, CPAP does not increase the infections. If you have been suffering from congestion, I’d suggest you check with your MD since you might have contracted some disease like pneumonia or bronchitis or even sinus infection. I once had the same issue, and I kept on lingering my visit, and I ended up with a severe bout of pneumonia. So plzzzzzz check with your doctor and using CPAP would help you in fighting off the infection.

10. huzzah

huzzah New Member

Like @sutton1976, I also use Clear™ from Pur-Sleep™. I also add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil near the air intake when I have a cold (trick suggested by my MD). Though oil evaporates fast, it helps you to clear your sinuses…

And as suggested by post #9, would suggest you check with your MD once before you embark on using essential oils and other liquid medications.

PS: I got this fantastic offer from Amazon where they were offering CPAP VaporClear Super Sinus Blaster in combination with Contour Products CPAP Mask Wipes, Unscented, 62 Wipes for less than $25..which I feel is a great deal...