1800cpap At Home Sleep Apnea Test

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by richardD, Aug 31, 2017.

1. richardD

richardD New Member

Hi friends, I was browsing, looking for answers to my heavy snoring when I came across this: Home Sleep Testing For Sleep Apnea Now Only $249 at 1800CPAP.com.--- http://www.1800cpap.com/home-sleep-testing-for-sleep-apnea.aspx

Though my insurance got over, I am leaning towards taking this test. I always had an issue with sleeping in a strange bed with people watching over me…hence avoided sleep lab testing. Plus there was an issue of costs. Now with such cheap rates for tests and at the comfort of my home, I am planning to undergo the test; however, not sure whether it is reliable.

Any and all replies are appreciated.

2. MMae

MMae New Member

I think you should go ahead with the test. The site is well reputed, and as far as I know, there has not been any serious issues or complaints that warranted any federal action on the site.

3. richardD

richardD New Member

Thanks a lot @MMae. Following your advice, will go ahead and book the test. My only doubt, in this case, is they say they will send the prescription to the doctor if my test results are positive, but will I get to see my results. That part is still unclear. Also, the site talks about discounted machines at dirt cheap rates, so am a bit confused as to whether to buy machines from them or go for a new machine. Since they are offering to provide a prescription for buying the machine, I think all the testing and buying the machine can be completed under $1000.

4. shole

shole New Member

Well ideally, your results would be sent to you if you ask for it, and in case they are offering discounted machines, then I feel you should go for it. The device which you select would largely depend on your results, but I would suggest you go for an APAP machine (in case they do not prescribe any machine).

5. raihan

raihan New Member

Thanks @richardD for sharing the link. In the page, it is mentioned that they would send the prescription to the doctor and the copy of the report would be given to you, so no worries on that front. You can go ahead with the test.

6. drove

drove New Member

Sorry to rain on parade, but my experience with the 1800cpap home test in 2015 was not so good. They sent me the pulse oximeter and belt as well as the data recorder. First of all the batteries were drained out, second, the pulse oximeter just kept slipping out. I somehow finished the test and sent the recorder. After 20 days, they sent a one-page report with a prescription for an Autopap with a setting range of 10-20. The report and the order were not very legible (not sure if the printer was working). I pointed this out to 1800cpap.com, and they agreed to send me a readable report and prescription, which BTW I am still waiting for. After waiting for another 20 days, I went to a sleep lab and got myself tested and was prescribed an APAP with a setting of 8 to 14 and I now have peace of mind. I am not saying that every report would be like this but was recounting my experience. Hope you do not go through the same thing and have a good test.

7. zelin

zelin New Member

The link was excellent and the video shown was good enough. At the price of $249, it is pretty damn cheap, and the machines offered by them are also dirt cheap..too bad I already have a machine, anyways would go for a backup ResMed machine.

Coming to benefits of home testing, I think the most significant advantage is that you would be sleeping the way you sleep every day without being troubled about sleeping on another bed or anybody watching you. This helps a lot in determining the exact nature of the sleep apnea. Also, in the lab, the variable might change which can impact the study. With regards to the wide setting for @drove, since they were unable to titrate the setting themselves with that kit on offer, they gave a wide option. I was able to titrate the settings, so my setting was within a very close range.

One caveat: If the sleep study kit comes from a DME, conflict of interest is bound to happen when the need for buying their equipment does not arise. Not saying that 1800CPAP would indulge in it, but just keep your eyes open and don't blindly believe them just because they said so.

8. richardD

richardD New Member

Thanks to all for the advice. I ordered the test and got the kit. I saw the video and will undertake the test today and will let all know the results.

9. richardD

richardD New Member

Underwent the test and sent the recorder to them. Let's see when they will get back with results, fingers crossed. And surely @razorburnbumps, would keep secondwindcpap.com in mind.

10. razorburnbumps

razorburnbumps New Member

I think you can also try secondwindcpap.com. They also offer excellent service, and they provide excellent deals on used CPAP machines. They, sometimes, even offer unused devices as well as the machines which are kinda new and used for less than 500 hours.

11. jamesstapleton195

jamesstapleton195 New Member

Hello everyone,

I have seen tremendous enthusiasm amongst forum members for home sleep apnea tests. But as far as I know, home tests are not suited for everyone. AASM (American Academy of Sleep Medicine) has given few guidelines in this regard:

· One must be aged between 18 years and 65 years
    · The risk of having moderate-to-severe sleep apnea should be high
    · There should not be any other significant medical ailments (heart problems, lung diseases, neuromuscular disease, etc.)
    · One must not have any other sort of sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, insomnia/parasomnia, periodic limb movements, etc.

Also, if the person has any other ailments which prevent him/her from leaving home at night for a sleep study, he/she might be eligible for a sleep study at home.

If you do not meet criteria as mentioned above, then going to a sleep center for undergoing overnight study is the best and only option. More details can be gleaned from this link http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/acceptedpapers/pmproof.pdf

12. johndonne112

johndonne112 New Member

Hi @jamesstapleton195, what you said holds true for AASM-accredited sleep entity. If the insurer does not approve the test or if the person is not in need of "complete sleep evaluation," then I think home sleep apnea test would be enough.

Apart from that what is essential is whether Medicare covers these tests. Sites like Instant Diagnostic Services follow CMS-Medicare guidelines, so insurance would not be an issue. Also, type of device is also essential.

13. sol0

sol0 New Member

14. michaellee7500

michaellee7500 New Member

Was going through the posts of the members with regards to tests. There was a mention of Medicare coverage for tests. Well, as far as I know, a prescription from the dentist, PA or board certified doctor is must for getting any medical device including CPAP and every health insurer operating in the US has to follow this rule, and Medicare is not an exception.

There are few Medicare requirements about Physician’s role about home medical equipment, which I will note below (the entire list can be found in this link http://www.caresourceok.com/Resource-Center/Medicare-Guide.aspx)

15. ItsRichard

ItsRichard New Member

16. richardD

richardD New Member

Hello friends,

Got my test results mailed to me.

AHI: 33
    RI: 37
    OAI: 20
    UAI and CAI: both 0
    ODI: 24
    Avg. Saturation: 91
    Lowest saturation: 76
    Max pulse: 193
    Avg pulse: 78

All apneas obstructive, none central, mixed or unclassified

Rx for AutoSet with Easy breathe with default settings.

Talked with the tech at 1800CPAP who made me understand that I have severe OSA and I would have to use a CPAP device. They will send the prescription to my sleep doctor and would help in getting the prescribed machine.

Thanks once again to all for the advice.

17. aki

aki New Member

Since you have been asked to use AutoSet, I would suggest ResMed’s S9 AutoSet™. It is an APAP device. Check out the product here https://www.resmed.com/in/en/consumer/products/devices/s9-autoset-with-h5i.html

You can also check out this link in case you want more options
    http://cpapcentralonline.com/product/s9-autoset-cpap-machine-with-easy-breathe

BTW do not forget to ask for the digital copy of the file from 1800CPAP fellows. Happy CPAP use and welcome to sleep apnea club ;);).