Mattresses Toppers Ikea Latex Mattress Topper user experience & reviews

J

jhonsandy23

I bought the IKEA latex mattress topper. I opened the packing and let it decompress. When I set it up and tried to sleep, I found I could not fall asleep for what I think was a couple of hours or so. It could be that trying to see how I felt on the new topper kept me awake. Also, I had only now turned my mattress over for the first time and that too was feeling different under the topper.

Both the mattress (now turned over) and the IKEA latex topper needed breaking-in, sort of, before they settled down and the same was the case with me, I had to get used to my new bed.

The overall bed with the mattress and the new topper on it now came to feel something much like my mattress had been when I bought it new. It has become less soft now. Plus, I felt that the IKEA latex topper wasn't conforming to my body contour as much, which could be because the quilting layer in the mattress has a half an inch polyester fiber filling which the topper did not.

It also reeked of what might probably be the smell of molten rubber combined with the odor of horse skin. It is bad enough to make you nauseated and give you a nasty headache. The first few times you lie on the IKEA mattress topper, you could be overwhelmed by these distractions far more than whatever comfort it might have to offer you. That sure gets on your nerves.

That's not to say the IKEA latex topper isn't a good product at all, but surely, it could have been designed better and made much better. Of course, it needed to be more sensibly priced. While the latex no doubt feels great, the cover has an overly thick ticking fabric that also feels very stiff, so much so the indent holes make prominent dips that spoil the level surface of the topper.

Another thing is, when there is no way you can take the latex out of its cover, I don't see the point in its having been provided with a zipper. What is the zipper for, then?

All the same, I am going to let the IKEA topper take its own time to break-in and settle down. Even my mattress had felt pretty hard when I slept on it the first few nights but was absolutely fine after both the mattress and I got adjusted in the span of a few days.

Anyway I am off to Vegas for a couple weeks now. I opened up the zipper on the ticking cover fully so the topper can get aired out thoroughly over the weeks. So I hope the horrible smell would be gone by the time I am back and let me see what the flipped mattress and the IKEA latex topper combo feels like then. I may want to rate them differently at that time.

M

MM66b

I live in Edmonton AB and I have purchased the same IKEA Tromsdalen latex mattress topper here. This one is a King size. I agree the IKEA latex topper gives off a lousy odour but I believe it will be gone in a few days.

J

jhonsandy23

Just back from Vegas, after cutting short my trip.

My IKEA latex topper doesn't smell as bad now. Although I can still smell the stink coming off it a little, I have my own doubts, and pretty convinced this mattress topper is just not going to work for me. I don't think I can let my sleep suffer waiting for the topper to get better. It doesn't look like this topper is the kind for my body structure or my sleep position even. I'll probably call IKEA first thing in the morning.

J

Jerusalem artichoke

My mattress started to sag and I was waking up with a painful back. I could not afford a new mattress right away and so purchased the IKEA latex topper instead. I have put it on the mattress and it works great now.

I tried the IKEA mattresses at the store and think they feel awesome. I am planning to buy an IKEA Hovag firm mattress and have this IKEA latex topper over it soon.

I know the topper smells quite bad something like a newly painted wall. But that smell goes away pretty soon.

N

newman50

The pillow top mattress I was sleeping on for ages was crying to be replaced but instead I decided to throw a latex topper on it and stretch its life a few more months until I had the money for a really great new mattress.

So I went to IKEA and picked up a latex topper off the show room stock. That way, I also didn't have to suffer the "awfully unbearable odor" everyone carps about, the topper had long been unpacked and got "aired" (even tried/slept on, a few times, maybe) over weeks. Its zipper came in handy for me to take off the cover and get it washed first thing.

This IKEA latex topper and my good old mattress made for great bed fellows and I sleep much, much better now. I still have a bit of a back problem but that most likely is because the mattress has a dip or two in it and the latex topper follows the same profile on top of it. At least I no longer wake up with those nasty aches and pains and groggy eyes. Needless to say, I am glad I bought this IKEA latex topper.

M

michaellee7500

We have a new IKEA mattress and this topper makes the bed cradle you the moment you sleep on it, without losing firm support. We both feel great about the sleep quality. Sure, memory foam feels a whole lot different if you are new to it. Turning about in bed is not like what it used to be, though in a good way.

sol0

sol0

Anything latex smells when new. We were told to put our topper out to air for a couple days and sure the odor no longer troubled us after that. It's definitely very comfortable and we both like it a lot now.

D

doublemummy

Both my children have IKEA mattresses we bought a couple years back. And now the comfort layer in both has thinned and much softened with use. We thought we could add a topper and see before deciding to replace the mattresses. So bought two IKEA latex toppers and placed on the kids beds. Now the beds are very comfortable and the children sleep well. It helps a lot that the topper comes with a zipped cover so it can be washed.

O

Oakshield

We wanted a topper for the mattress in our RV and purchased an IKEA latex topper. Naturally, we also needed the foam to have a good cover, to be fully enclosed. This topper was absolutely the right thing for our needs and it also feels awesome.

D

derickfon

After buying an IKEA mattress topper, we found that it was too firm for our comfort. We needed a soft topper, but we could not be very sure when we tried IKEA toppers at the store. What we ended up buying is not quite a pillow top, it's a firm topper. This wasn't what we needed and so we returned it. I must add that we have had no problems in returning the mattress topper.

M

maryadam

I have a good mattress and liked to have a topper over it for a bit of extra comfort. I tried the ones at the store by sleeping a while on each of the mattress toppers and testing the feel. Finally, I selected an IKEA latex topper I found nice to sleep on and ordered it. Once the latex topper is out of its vacuum roll packing and had time to expand to its full size, set it on your mattress and lie on it. It feels incredibly comfortable.

Amazon.com Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate this website earns from qualifying purchases.