Sleep How to Fail a Sleep Apnea Test

darelle4

darelle4

I would like to fake sleep apnea on the test. Because I want to get myself a lap band. And having sleep apnea is how I can get my insurance to pick up the tab for it. I am not that overweight so I could ask for a lap band on just that basis.

So I am looking for some way I could cheat the test . If anyone here knows the answer or some useful tips, please let me know. Serious answers only. Thank you all very much.

B

Bluemerlin

First off, let me tell you that you can't, yes, you can't cheat the test. Sorry, if that is disappointing. When the test is on, you will be in sleep, so I guess you understand there's hardly anything you can do. Plus, the test set up will be telling them if you are really asleep or not, so they always know.

As if trying to fake at the test is not bad enough. Not wanting to diet and exercise? I doubt if that will get you too many friends here. We all do the daily grind to reduce and keep fit and we know it's not easy.

M

mamiknows

@darelle4 Oh sure, you can cheat the sleep apnea test: hold your breath when they ask you to go to sleep and, hopefully, start breathing again next morning. FAIL :p

C

carlalexander

If you are asleep the equipment keeps telling them, and if you are not, then too, the equipment tells that.

If your body needs a lap band, they will surely give you one. OTOH, a lap band is by no means any easier than diet and exercise, only worse, I can tell you. I know because I have someone in the family who has got a lap band and see their struggles all the time. She can't hold what she eats, it's stopped by the lap band and gets promptly thrown up. Well, she did lose weight, but what a way to lose a few pounds!

Without exercise, you don't lose many pounds, lap band or no lap band. Diet and nutrition are crucial not only to reduce weight, but more to maintain health and stay alive. Forced dieting with a lap band is hardly a help. Rather, I would suggest you read up on diet, nutrition and exercise, and follow the routines. That way you benefit far better than with a lap band.

Good Luck!

lizzycorreia

lizzycorreia

I would like to fake sleep apnea on the test.
You can't.

That said, lots of people do have sleep apnea. Most are not even aware they have it. Some people may have weight issues that could actually have an indirect effect on their undiscovered sleep apnea. In other words, your weight may be causing, or could in future, cause sleep apnea for you.

A few may actually experience it the other way, where hormonal and metabolic changes caused by their sleep apnea lead to unwanted weight gain. It's not going to be easy for you if you have weight issues and have (undiscovered) sleep apnea, a potentially serious combination.

Whichever way you look at it, it is best for you to get yourself tested for sleep apnea (I need not tell you that you can only do it honestly, no other way!). An upshot could be that the diagnosis could even get you the right therapy to help you lose weight without surgery.

You must realize that testing positive for sleep apnea has its impact on many other seemingly unrelated issues in your daily life. You may have to face driving restrictions. Your eligibility to insurance and terms of insurance could change for the worse. Even your employability could take a beating.

And oh yes, you could sleep on your back when you take the test. That way, any sleep apnea you have can show up more easily in the test. Hope that helps.

mikka254

mikka254

If you want that lap band that bad, go for a loan or save up some dollars. No need to cheat.

DrLongscarf

DrLongscarf

Here is some good "bad" advice to cheat the sleep apnea test.

Eat all you can before you go for the test. If you are allergic to anything, eat it, see if you can get your nose all stuffed up, or get a real bad cold. Party all night for as many nights as you can before the big day. Work hard till you drop off and get to lab completely exhausted. If you can have a drink or two, or even a sedative before you leave for the big test, even better. That greatly helps in increasing the chances: either of getting a positive diagnosis, or of dyeing in your sleep.

Only worse if you have (undetected) sleep apnea, or if you are overweight, or most other adverse health conditions. So no one would want you to do ANY of those things. After all, your life is much more important than any test.

C

Candee24

The whole idea really makes me sick. Lots of people can't pay for insurance even, it costs so much. It's only because of some people stealing from the system. I have seen people with no money for their meds, people who can't get their scripts renewed because they got no money to pay the doctor.

There's this elderly lady who is not yet old enough for MediCare. She suffers from diabetes, has hypertension and OSA robs her of her sleep. Still, she goes without her meds for weeks on end because her scripts ran out. After rent and utility bills, she hardly has any money left of her social security to pay for her doctor's fees. She has a real hard time getting along. Think of it: stealing from people who need the support of the system, that's bad!!!

Amazon.com Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate this website earns from qualifying purchases.